• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask the Staff

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Erm...

What are you guys planning on doing for the New Year? And... if you could, what is the one (or more) thing that you want to get rid of from your pile Christmas presents?

Lazyness issue: My sprite topic thread thing is somewhere past the 3rd or 4th page...If I want to start spriting again should I zombi'fy it or start a new one...? XP

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Personally, I think either option would be okay. Bumping your own dead topic with new content is fair game, but if it's that far buried making a brand new thread wouldn't hurt either. Might be best if you lock the original thread before making the new one, tho, just in case someone decided to grave dig it on ya anyways.

What are you guys planning on doing for the New Year? And... if you could, what is the one (or more) thing that you want to get rid of from your pile Christmas presents?

At the moment, I have no plans for New Years. 2007 has been rather hellish for me on the whole and I just finished my full-time work a few days ago, so when I think about spending news years quietly loafing around home... I rather like the thought of it XD

As for presents I want to get rid of, got a perfect answer: Avatar: The Burning Earth for Wii. As much as I love the Avatar series, a bad game is still a bad game. People really should've listened when I told the what sorts of games /not/ to buy :p

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member

New Year - dunno, yet. I don't celebrate the new year at this time of year, so I always feel weird at other people's New Year's Eve parties, plus I hate being around drunk people. It's very possible that Richard & I will just skip all of the parties on offer and veg out at home.

Christmas presents - I want to get rid of everything that I'm allergic to! This year has brought me a mere four presents that I can't use (an improvement on recent years), but that's still four presents that I have to re-gift to other people. I gave one of the boxes of milk chocolates to my dad, will give another to one of my friends. No idea what I'll do with the scented candles, or the hair conditioner with lanolin in.

I hate being allergic to "everything" :-\.

[size=6pt]The basic rule of thumb is that I am allergic or intolerant to animal proteins, hydrocarbons and scents. With regard to animal proteins, dairy is the biggest offender, but lanolin is also very bad, as are random proteins shed from domestic pets. Hydrocarbons generally make me unable to breathe, and the longer the carbon chain the worse they are. (So I can stand to be in a room with burning methane, but candle waxes and road tar will cause asthma attacks.) Scents cause irritation possibly to the point of me attempting to claw my own eyes out. So pretty much any of the typical "woman" gifts are out - flowers, cosmetics & scented candles are a total no-no, and chocolate is only ok if it's completely dairy-free.

But then I am also allergic to things like salicylates, the chemicals in aspirin and ibuprofen and naturally-occurring substances like oil of wintergreen. So often I'll be reading the list of ingredients on, say, a soap which is labelled as vegan, so I know it "should" be ok, and then 20th on a list of 25 ingredients there'll be oil of wintergreen. Salicylates in medicines make my throat close up, and salicylates in foods give me itchy hands & mouth (for example, I can only eat raw carrots if they're shredded, because the exposure to air helps break down the stuff I'm alergic to). All of this means it's much easier if people who don't know me well simply don't buy me anything, or get book tokens. It's hard to feel gratitude about things that I simply cannot use. I'd rather get a heartfelt card with meaningful writing from a student than a shop-bought gift that I can't use.[/size]

Just now there has been a lot of posts by random people in the sprites and sprite comics forum, including a lot of pictures that were very inappropriate. What will you do to punish these people and make sure that they don't get back on the site?

I just discovered that if you go to your own profile and press the 'Online' green square, you can send a message to yourself...isn't that kind of silly? Why would you want to PM yourself? Or is that intentional?

EDIT: And now I see that my edits aren't showing...is something up with this?

EDIT2: Oh, wait, now it shows.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Don't ask US. Ask the people who made the board. Simple Machines, or whatever the hell they're called. XP

It's a board function. And yes. I suppose you can PM yourself the same way you can e-mail yourself. Maybe if you want to remind yourself of something and have the information somewhere that only you, technically, can access. >>

I'd like to submit a couple Trainer Cards for the maker, but I've got a couple questions before I get down to it, and I can't find answers in any of the current related topics.

Are there required dimensions to be used for the pok

i have a old topic in the clinic on page 3 of the contents should i bring that one one back as 4 of 6 Pokemon on are the same pokemon i want help on with this new team?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Bumping a topic (certainly your own topic, certainly in the clinic) is perfectly acceptable so long as it's relevant and, to it's own degree, necessary.

So, yeah, it's fine and dandy to bump your Team rate topic with a team update.

Ok i keep getting emails saying that there are replies on topics i'm watching yet i cant see them? do you have any idea why? also what is the size limit for costume avatars?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
There isn't a set limit on avatar sizes, but we'd rather they be kept under 150x150. Not a rule, just a recommendation.

As for post notifications for posts that aren't there, it's quite possible some of said posts were made by people who do not even have the right to exist as sentient beings and so have been deleted along with their originators to avoid forum-clutter-by-SPAM. >>;

There isn't a set limit on avatar sizes, but we'd rather they be kept under 150x150. Not a rule, just a recommendation.

As for post notifications for posts that aren't there, it's quite possible some of said posts were made by people who do not even have the right to exist as sentient beings and so have been deleted along with their originators to avoid forum-clutter-by-SPAM. >>;

when you say 150x150 d0 you mean the dimensions? and if it's to big when you click save changes does it not work? cause that happens to the ones i tried to use. also should i start a topic to ask someone to make some pictures/spirits/card templates transplant?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I mean the dimensions, in pixels. Yes.

And it would work. I'm not sure what's the issue with the ones you tried to use.

Also, there's a perfectly good tutorial on how to make sprite backgrounds transparent. No need to spam up the boards when you can do it yourself.

Hello all staffer and admins I have another question!!

What did you do for Valentines? Do you even have a Valentine?

Or were you like me and you almost forgot/didn't exactly care about it.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Why is there sooo much advertising in the thread "The New Submit a Custom Trainer Topic"? I mean, of course you guys always delete the ads that appear(or almost always), but do you guys know why there's a lot more advertising there than anywhere else on the board?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
We really have no control over SPAM bots. They attack the board because guest posting is enabled there and there only and I suppose they're programmed to track down the most active thread and post there.

All we can do is delete the posts these things make...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hello all staffer and admins I have another question!!

What did you do for Valentines? Do you even have a Valentine?

Or were you like me and you almost forgot/didn't exactly care about it.

I was like you. If Stel hadn't mentioned its existence a few days prior in the chat I would've completely forgotten what day it was XD I knew it was coming, yes, but that was about the extent of it. Just didn't put further thought into the day because I don't particularly like the extra pressure it adds to couples, and therefore it is meaningless to me :p

Am I bitter? Maybe. But I have my reasons. My ex was always nervous re: what he bought/made me for Valentine's day, what we did, etc., and there was no need of it. You think I could convince him of that, though? The date just has too much stigma attached to it.

I edited a trainer card like so:
Mudskipper-rangertrainercard.jpg

Should I keep the Pokecharms link in there or not? I mean, you can't make that particular card on Pokecharms, but I did get the template from the TC maker.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
@Mudskipper:
Keep the pokecharms.com bit. Since you used the template from the TCMaker, you have to tell people where it was made, regardless of editting.

@Carmen Lopez:
Got drunk and spent most of the day on the computer. Not necessarily in that order.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Carmen: I spent Valentine's day in London on a Latin trip, which happened in the middle of the school half term holidays anyway. So hardly anything romantic. Virtual-huggled Alex when I got home though. ^^

Mudskipper: Methinks you may need to seek out the person who originally made the template as well, not sure.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Mudskipper... TECHNICALLY... you shouldn't be editing the cards at all. >> At least that's what it says on the main page of the TC Maker.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Taken from the TC Maker itself...

"We have to ask that as we have provided this service for you to make these cards and provide the option to host them for you as well - that you don't edit these cards in any way and that you don't remove the Pokecharms.com credit at the bottom. This is our only request in return for providing this service and we think it's a fair one, so please respect it.

Meaning, the Doc asks for people to NOT edit the cards.

Hey I'm back again...

At the bottom of the forum index page it says Most Online Ever: 441. Does anyone know what was going on when there were 441 people on Pokecharms. I'm just really curious.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Considering the Trainer Card Maker was only just online and Diamond and Pearl had only just been released, it seems like a reasonable time period for there to be quite an assload of people on the site.

Did you guys do anything special for St. Patrick's Day? The only thing I did was wear green because when I was in elementary and high school, people would pinch you for not wearing green. So now I try my best to wear green for the 17th :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Did you guys do anything special for St. Patrick's Day? The only thing I did was wear green because when I was in elementary and high school, people would pinch you for not wearing green. So now I try my best to wear green for the 17th :)

Sadly, I did next to nothing. I had a lot of school work that day, so I -think- that's what I spent most of my day doing. That and shopping for food, playing Smash, going to class, and watching Naruto. I dropped by the Charms chat a few times to yell "Happy Pokecharms Day!" at people, too XD

Oh, that's right. A friend of mine came to hang out Monday night and we played lots o' SSE in SSBB co-op mode. It was pretty damn fun, so I'd say the night was a good one =)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
As far as I know, Stel didn't come up with one.

I guess, if it's accepted enough - maybe we could hold a contest to name it?

I just wanted to note that in "The New Submit a Custom Trainer Topic", the thread linked in the opening post, to the D/P sprites, doesn't seem to exist anymore. Is there still a topic on the board where those sprites are all readily available?

I must say in the New Submit a Custom Trainer Topic, some nutter posted irrelevent things. Its 3 different posts all with the same content so I'm guessing its the same person. I'd love for you to Punish this person severly, but as they are a guest this isn't possible.