• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask the Staff

I used the Turquoise Labs. Once those went down, I started using Serebii, but once I got annoyed with the webmaster's tenuous grasp on the English language, I moved over to Psypokes.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
... as that's where we all started out and where everyone learned how awesome I was. :)

Lies. The PokeTavern did that for me ;)
Note: PokeTavern = Turquoise Labs in the future, but as Hypotenuse Man mentioned, it died quite awhile ago now =/

Before the PokeTavern I was an active forum member at a place called EAGB. It wasn't solely a Pokemon website, but it still had a designated Pokemon board on their forums and lots of Pokemon related info on the site, so I guess it counts. I also haunted Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden and Psypoke in the past, but how long ago that was I'm not quite sure of anymore.

Question for whomever it concerns I guess. Been noticing the news flash about the Kyak Islands and how it is down and all. Since I came here after it closed, was wondering what this section offered for the members here and if it is in the works to return?

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
The Kyak Islands was a small board for roleplaying in a fan (me)-made setting. I'm basically trying to make it so I don't have to do anything to keep it alive, since I'm evidently crap at doing that.

Why when I edit the main post in my "fanbar zone", one of the spaces between each senctence becomes, "&nbsp", or something? I had to save the post on my computer and cut and paste the right version without the weird text into the edit, but it's annoying like hell.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Why when I edit the main post in my "fanbar zone", one of the spaces between each senctence becomes, "&nbsp", or something? I had to save the post on my computer and cut and paste the right version without the weird text into the edit, but it's annoying like hell.

Alex here, the only thing I can think of that's causing this could be that you've copied and pasted from the page itself, either onto a document or back into the modify post box. What's happening is that instead of parsing the spaces, it's placing in the HTML special character code for it instead - something that can happen when you're copying from a page onto a program that wouldn't really be smart enough to parse it properly or is designed not to (I'm thinking Notepad as a major culprit here).

Best advice I can give you is to edit the post, erase all the '&nbsp' bits and try posting it again. The forum software certainly shouldn't be the fault - so hopefully once you've got a correct version on the page to start with, it should sort it all out.

Alex here, the only thing I can think of that's causing this could be that you've copied and pasted from the page itself, either onto a document or back into the modify post box. What's happening is that instead of parsing the spaces, it's placing in the HTML special character code for it instead - something that can happen when you're copying from a page onto a program that wouldn't really be smart enough to parse it properly or is designed not to (I'm thinking Notepad as a major culprit here).

Best advice I can give you is to edit the post, erase all the '&nbsp' bits and try posting it again. The forum software certainly shouldn't be the fault - so hopefully once you've got a correct version on the page to start with, it should sort it all out.
Yeah, but before I even open the saved post, saved without &nbsp in Microsoft Word 2007, the modify box has the &nbsp text.

This is meant for any staff member:

Is there a problem with the messaging system, because I have sent messages to moderators and didn't recieve a responce. Or is it that my questions don't seem important? I sent messages to Linkachu and Yoshimitsu concerning the pokemon RP board. Did either of you recieve the messages?

I was simply wondering which moves were special and physical in emerald, because I'm actively playing Emerald and have no clue which types are physical or special.

(Although from trial and error, I know Dark and Normal are physical and Ground, Psychic, and Water are special)

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG.

Here's the full list:

Physical

Normal
Fighting
Flying
Bug
Ghost
Poison
Rock
Ground
Steel

Special

Grass
Fire
Water
Electric
Ice
Psychic
Dark
Dragon

Could I make a thread for members just to post a few sprites, that all members can post sprites in? I think it would be very popular, and limit clutter.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
As soon as a full release package is finished, yes. There's no real point in risking using a Beta when aside from server related cockups the software as it stands runs perfectly fine and securely.

I was on the Chat today, and I was booted out for no obvious reason! Nem said to quit abusing /me, and so I quit. Then StellarWindElysadon (Logged in as StellarWind) booted me out for no obvious reasion, afterwhich i came back, and was booted by Sem. Since I have been unable to get on.

Can someone allow me back on the chat already? Or at least a formal apology, or even explanation as to why I was banned from there!?!

Nemesis

Former Administrator
First of all, it was me who banned you, I would like to take credit for that thankyou.

We told you to type properly, you kept using "u" rather than "you". You didn't so I unleashed the Fury of Nem (tm) upon you.

However, I have read your post and you are right. You do deserve an apology.

I am deeply sorry that I did not also ban you from the forums then. I shall remedy that straight away.

Lots of love,

Nem
X

You all just said 'Stop'. No one directly told me to use proper grammer. I asked if that was what it was about, and no one said yes OR no. If it was a proprer grammer issue, I would have stopped instantly! And don't say 'This just shows me you didn't really read the rules' because it SPECIFICALLY says that you ar supposed to use proper grammer on the forums not chat.

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Hm, either the ban I placed on you for the forums didn't work, or someone unbanned you.

Anyway, we did all tell you it was about your grammar. There are no witten rules for chat, but it's just damn polite to talk properly in a room like that. Arguing with us really isn't helping your case BTW.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Additionally, you /were/ pissing us off. You know very well that I called on you when you were rude to members of the chatroom, and, as was said before, abusing the /me command - and I have logs of your whole chatly existance for proof, if anyone wants me to prove this claim.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
@ any member of staff...

I'm sure I've heard mention of this before, but I was just curious as to whether you 'purge' members who have a post count of zero after so long?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
It has been a long while since the last zero-poster purge. Nowadays it could be somewhat problematic because of the amount of n00bs who were banned and had all their posts deleted, as apparently, ban-deleting messes up the database.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Hmm, I see what you mean. As a second question, I was going to ask how members who only post in the forums which don't count towards your post total would effect the purge, but you answered that with your answer.

Thanks Stel

This would be for any mod. I have a fanbar/userbar request topic, and I am thinking of making a signature banner request topic. Should I edit my fanbar topic into a fanbar and banner topic, or should I make a new topic?

I have a problem i cant get to the chat, when i press the link it takes me the forums index. Any idea why?

Edit: Ruko told me when i ask if he was able to et on the chat.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Just a random question that sprang to mind when profiles were mentioned in chat. On the couple of other forums I've seen, profiles seem to have a lot more space to write things, like 'about me' sections and 'my favourite Pokemon' etc. I was wondering if there was a reason why the profiles here are mainly used for game codes, rather than information about the person, except for age and location.

Is it because the feature might be abused, or is it to do with the code/script of the forums, or just personal preference?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The forums you've seen are VBulletin boards (ones you have to PAY for, I might add). SMF doesn't, as a rule, have that option - and I'm not sure there are too many mods out there for it.

However, on the subject of it - I will simply say, watch this space.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I have a question.

Are you ... FULLY AWESOME?

(Alternative question - what do the other staffers think about ... pizza?)

I have a question. About 5-7 days ago, I was booted from chat for a reason I still don't know why. (And I forgot by who.) Now whenever I try to get to chat, it automatically sets me on an iwx channel and won't let me connect.

Any idea what's going on?

You were banned from the chat. It doesn't say who, but I'll look into the matter later.

But you were banned, there's probably some reason for it. We don't go around banning people from the chat for no reason.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
You were banned from the chat, yes. By me, and for a good reason.

Namely the fact that you seem to fail to grasp the basics of how one should be acting in the chat. Chatrooms exist to have conversations in (even if they do get random around here), NOT to disregard anything that goes around you, float around in your own little bubble and launch hyperspam all over the place.

Frankly, you annoyed me to the point of having to kick you out of the chat to save my own sanity. And I only have a precious bit left of that. >>

I decided to unban you for the moment and give you another chance. If you get annoying again, though, next time I give you a boot to the head, it'll stay embedded in there. Comprendé?

Last edited by a moderator:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
The forums you've seen are VBulletin boards (ones you have to PAY for, I might add). SMF doesn't, as a rule, have that option - and I'm not sure there are too many mods out there for it.

However, on the subject of it - I will simply say, watch this space.
There is an Ultimate Profile Mod for SMF that allows you to do that sort of thing - I use it on the site I administrate, and it's quite good.

On a few forums I have seen people's posts having a button that says "Spoiler!" And will only show what the person has written if you click the button. Is there a way to do that on here?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Probably, but I don't think there's really any discussion that goes on here that'd require it... Afterall, the anime thread pretty much says up front to expect spoilers for the latest Japanese episodes.

In the future if discussion demands it - I'll hunt down a mod for it. But at present, it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Hey Alex, when I looked up some members to day, their names were just a blank space. Is this a glitch, or are those the people who prefer to not let their online status be known? Thanks