• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask the Staff

Alright, I wasn't really sure to put this at all and in fear of being warned, I posted it in the most sensible topic.(Well, it was to me, at least.)

So, my question is, if a topic was going on and someone spammed the topic, then is it bad to re-make the topic? (For a reference you can look at the 'Darkrai Special Event' topic)

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
If someone spammed it, then the spam is usually dealt with. However, if you still have concerns on the topic in question, then I think a new topic would be forgiven if you explained why you were making the topic.

Two questions:

1. Who started Pokecharms and when was it started. (Not directed to any particular person)

2. I've seen a few members of the site with special symbols below their name instead of pokeballs, greatballs, ultraballs, or masterballs. What do they represent and how do you get them?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Two questions:

1. Who started Pokecharms and when was it started. (Not directed to any particular person)

Pokecharms is and always has been my site used for putting up my random bits and bobs of stuff, as well as my friends' bits and bobs. We've kinda danced around that and focused heavily in recent years on games news etc too, but at it's core, Pokecharms is still always about the staff and random crap that comes out of my head.

The site was originally created in my beginning days experimenting with websites in 2001, the Pokecharms as you know it today is officially from the summer of 2003. Which makes it, somehow, about 5 years since we got it going again. Which is insane.

2. I've seen a few members of the site with special symbols below their name instead of pokeballs, greatballs, ultraballs, or masterballs. What do they represent and how do you get them?

Any Pokeballs that aren't... well, Pokeballs, indicate that they're in some way staff. Except for one exception - that being Rachel's sister, who got them randomly for being Rachel's sister. Great Balls indicate local moderator - they're only moderators on specific boards (and apparently, through some SMF weirdness, if you're an admin etc and listed as a mod on a forum, you'll be shown as such with Great Balls under your name in any post in that forum), Ultra Balls indicate general moderator, Master Balls indicate Admins. You don't get any different Pokeballs as a normal member, just a higher quantity the higher your post count, usually a handy visual shortcut to see how long someone has been here.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Not to interupt your probably long over Serebii conversation, but this site is so popular, and you guys are mods on it, so why even bother remember having a Serebii account?

It's not exactly a massive bother to remember whether or not you signed up for a website's forum at some point in your life. :p

Yea I know(personally I love this one a lot more, it's funner then Serebii)
And one more question, I was looking at the site's statistics and ever since I made this account(I was at this site for about a half a year now, but I only made an account a few weeks ago or something like that) I haven't seen the top poster, Blaziken, what happened to him?

It's not exactly a massive bother to remember whether or not you signed up for a website's forum at some point in your life. :p

Too true Alex. Hey, wait a minute! When I first came here you were Doctor Oak, then The Doctor Hates France, Then Doctor Oak again, now Alex? How many obscure names do you have?!

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
He hated France because that's where I was at the time. ^^" And he swaps to The Doctor when he gets excited over Doctor Who. You just have to try and keep up. :p

How is Alex an obscure name? o.O

In a way, it is (In my opinoin, your Adminlyness). People would expect that someone who at the time was called, "The Doctor Hates France" would always have an odd name, but Alex, if it were your username, wouldn't be an odd name. That's why the pattern, Odd, odd, odd, odd, normal, odd, odd, etc. is an unpredictable pattern. That's the kind of stuff I come to Pokecharms for!

[quote author:prof Cinders link=topic=1321.msg60284#msg60284 date=1211231708]
He hated France because that's where I was at the time. ^^" And he swaps to The Doctor when he gets excited over Doctor Who. You just have to try and keep up. :p
[/quote]

Doctor Who? Isn't that a James Bond movie, or is that Doctor No? To Wiki Wiki World I go! *Teh Purple One's best friend shouts to him, "Wikipedia lies!" This is the kind of friend Teh Purple One has. Ugh!*

Two questions:

I believe Alex is the one responsible, with Nem, Linkachu and, Stel. Alex is the webmaster, so he would be the main one.

And what exactly do you mean with #2? My guess is that you're looking at the Custom titles for the admin/mod team. Alex gave custom titles to the admins/mods. And how to get them...well, be a mod I guess. :p

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I think he means the little Pokeballs.

Like these under your name.
starxtra.gif

Well, I think that it's because Plapti/Plap/Jet/Jetters/Ed/Edward here is technically a "Clinic Slave" and not an "Almighty One" or "Not As Almighty One" like the admins and regular mods. I'll need to check Ruko to see if he also has those weird Pokeballs, as I think he's also not exactly a regular mod either. But yeah.

EDIT: Yeah, Jet and Ruko technically aren't exactly, erm, regular mods or whatever, so they have those little dive balls or whatever Pokeball it is under their name.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Any Pokeballs that aren't... well, Pokeballs, indicate that they're in some way staff. Except for one exception - that being Rachel's sister, who got them randomly for being Rachel's sister. Great Balls indicate local moderator - they're only moderators on specific boards (and apparently, through some SMF weirdness, if you're an admin etc and listed as a mod on a forum, you'll be shown as such with Great Balls under your name in any post in that forum), Ultra Balls indicate general moderator, Master Balls indicate Admins. You don't get any different Pokeballs as a normal member, just a higher quantity the higher your post count, usually a handy visual shortcut to see how long someone has been here.

;p

Technically...I am a Full mod now. I just like Clinic Slave better. :p

Also, this has to do with permissions on why I don't have Not As Almighty One as my position. It's mostly because it was hard enough to hax SMF to have them get e-mails when a report to a mod, so it's not worth it to get it to me. Too much for Alex. He has enough work already as it is.

Next question.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Okay.

1) Plapti, why not Clinic Nurse Slave in the first place? And can we still call you a Clinic Nurse Slave?
2) Look below.
Also, just to point out, the warning system got eaten by the recent board upgrade and so is now currently unavailable. This will work into the on-going review of the system in general and will hopefully culminate in a new, hopefully fairer and easier system. In the meantime, be aware that you're all being watched carefully and warning system or not, if you consistently break the rules, you will be banned.
Does that mean that the people who were previously banned from here can now come back on, because I would hate it if n00bs started to run this place.

Plapti/Jetters/Whatever Your Name Is- The Clinic Slave Turned Mod- Did you do all your helping on the Clinic to become a mod, or just because you knew it was nice?

Coming in the next update...whenever Alex gets the time to. *Points towards Alex's general direction*

But the next launch of the Trainer Card Maker will have Shinnies in it. So hang tight. Alex is doing it as fast as he can. And there's no way he's doing it on his B-Day.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The next update for the TC Maker will indeed, finally, include shiny Pokemon. And a lot more. :) That's why it's taking so long.

Hi everyone. I was just wondering, for the weekly Anime Discussion. Is this the English or Japanese Anime? Plus, where does everyone watch it online? I can't find any good websites. Thank you for your time. ^^

-BlueMeadow.

Heh, they watch mostly the Japanese Anime cause it comes out sooner. They download them through a torrent, but you could get away by seraching the episode name on Youtube and watching it there.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Lately the torrent website I abused hasn't been able to obtain the episodes, so I've just been attacking them on Youtube.

As for that thread, it's basically both that we discuss, but since the Japanese episodes are much further ahead than the dubbed ones anyone reading the thread who ONLY follows the dub is asking for major spoilers :p

And the series just hit DP episode 80 last week in Japan.

Okay, thank you so much! I will try to watch the episodes and catch up. Therefore, relieving my mind from seeing any spoilers. Again, thank you so much! ^^

-BlueMeadow.

This is for Pixeity.

I'd like to make a userbar of every admin and mod, but I don't want to scratch every sprite. I have seen some sprites of all of you in mostly your sprite thread. Can I use those, or should I sprite them on my own? Also, if you say yes, can you tell me where to find a TBA sprite? Sprite or mugshot will work. I'm not requesting. I'm just asking where I can find one.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Hey Mods,

Just wondering what the rule breaking system is, now that the warning system has gone. Are there any plans to revive the old system, or have you got a new one? Or of course do you still use the Warning system and we just can't see it? :p

Just curious ^^

Well...It's Alex who does all of the stuff. *Points in Alex's general direction*

As of now, there is no warning system, but we have (At least I am) are keeping track of who we've warned recently. Not as effective, but it works.

Alex does have final say on this though.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Ok thanks, I was just curious as to how the rule breakers were being kept in check ^^

In his update involving the losing of the Warning System, Alex mentioned that a newer, better system was possibly being developed, so I just wondered about it.

Thanks for the answer!

Question to any staff member:

Before pokecharms was created, what other sites did you belong to or get refrence from? I used pokemonelite2000.com before, but last year they stopped updating their information. So I moved on to better things.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
A lot of the staff/older members come from Pokeschool, as that's where we all started out and where everyone learned how awesome I was. :)