• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Pokémon Ranger, Almia goes old school. Discussion thread.

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I can't really come up with detailed reasons during the day, I can comment back little things here and there, but I things about backstory and stuff I tend to do at home. Anyway, I was thinking maybe Lucas could have joined like a half a year ago, but was visiting his sister at home during the boot camp. He lives near the ranger station in Vientown, and the rangers there had gotten word to him about the poachers.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what moves I should have Mysu know ~w~

I kinda want slash to cut some branches, but that's like a move in the 30s for Glameow. Though, she does have Hypnosis which she can use on the Weedle later.

In the spirit of this RP I think it's only natural a clawed Pokémon can cut branches with them, with or without knowing a certain move. (Real claws may not really work like that, but real turtles don't have water cannons in their mouth either...)

I'm also not a stickler for levels and such. If you want your mon to know a cool attack that fits the story and has good uses, go for it. Same rules as always: leave spotlight for others but have fun. I think the main concern lies on your side: if you want to play Glameow as a relatively weak Pokémon, new at rangering, it might be weird if it knows a bunch of expert moves. That's a balance you will have to figure out.

(I realize I may have sounded stricter than this when giving feedback to the twins and when "vetoing" ridable flyers, that's because I'm looking for abilities that could potentially be used to completely eliminate certain kinds of roleplayable obstacles, like travel times and needing to search for stuff in the case of flying around. I don't see many ways for a slashing cat to do that. Or for many other physical contact making attacks for that matter.)

Not sure what to have Taylor do at the moment.
Greet the new guys? Disagree with doing anything about the Weedle? Refine the plan? In a way that's less work for the rangers? Gather materials? Help track a grass type? Climb a nearby tree to get a good look at the higher up parts? Make an observation that complicates things? A lot? Like, totally screws us? Have Star do something cool and unexpected?

Hey there, it looks like you guys are still accepting characters, but I wanted to make sure before dropping an application?

If so, I was thinking of playing an older character (20s-ish) that was on a mission with his own team before they were separated? That seems like it'd be a relatively easy way to slip in. After you guys finish your current arc, of course, I wouldn't mind waiting.

Last edited:
Hi DragonFlye,

I haven't given a lot of thought yet to if there is a point where we should temporarily stop accepting characters (and make the appropriate changes to this thread), but one more should certainly be fun.

I'm not sure if we're really coming up to the end of an arc here, since we just set out and some of the current plans include traveling to the other end of the mainland part of the region. (No idea if we'll be executing those plans, or any others.) If you're looking for a good break-point to not drop into the middle of a scene we might start moving again relatively soon, that might work. We also currently have two rangers out looking for a grass type, that would make for a relatively smooth introduction... I'd rather have characters involved than benched, so we'll find a way.

An older and/or more experienced character is fine, Jake would certainly enjoy the company.

Alright, that sounds very fair :) I really appreciate the Grass-type idea too, my concern was definitely dropping in out of nowhere, so I think I'll see if I can take advantage of that if I can.

I think I've got a bio that I'm pretty satisfied with here at the moment, but please let me know if there's anything I can change around!

Name
Jordan Kreiss

Occupation/role/type of ranger
He's been working as a field ranger for around ten years.

Appearance
Jordan has medium-length, disheveled brown hair that is lightened by long days in the sun, tanned skin, and green eyes that shimmer with a barely-hidden humor. He wears an off-white, long-sleeved white shirt with dark canvas trousers, boots, and can often be seen with a well-worn brown canvas duster when it's cold, rainy, or dusty and a black bandana tied around his throat.

Skills and equipment
Having lived on the road for the majority of his life, he's quite the survivalist and a proficient tracker, being able to recognize the footprints of most of the native Pokémon of the region. However, he has some trouble staying in one place for too long, always itching to travel, can be a quite impatient at times, and can sometimes act without considering others. He also has a few business and haggling skills left over from his days on the road with his family, but he hasn't had much need for them in his current line of work.

He keeps much of his supplies, like food, extra water, and maps in Thorne's saddlebags and his bedroll on his partner's back for when he's on long-term jobs, but keeps a serrated hunting knife and water canteen on his right hip, as well as a length of rope on his left.

Personality and background
Jordan doesn't exactly have a hometown; instead, he comes from a family of traveling wholesale merchants, who worked with small trade partners that were unable to afford the use of the steam trains or who lived distant from the railroads, using the family's trusty pair of Mudsdale, whom they recieved as young Mudbray from foreign traders along with a fiery Skiddo (see below). Highlands, lowlands, forests... the Kreiss couple and their four sons were quite experienced with many different terrains, and made a humble living trading goods such as lumber, crops, and coal. As such, he's quite social, and has little trouble interacting with people from all kinds of backgrounds.

While the Kreiss family didn't often deal in particularly valuable goods for fear of being a target of crime, one day, when Jordan was 16, one of their partners in Chromatown had gotten their hands on some ore, and the family decided to take the risk. Sure enough, a group of bandits intercepted them along their route, damaging their cart and stealing the valuable ore that they were transporting. His parents sent Jordan and one of his brothers to a nearby town to find some help, and the pair picked up a small group of rangers who were resting up in the town's bar. The brothers hitched a ride with the rangers back to the scene of the robbery, and Jordan got to talking with them. He became more and more enthralled with their stories, and once the rangers finally arrested the bandits, he decided to return with them to Vientown to enter the training program under the recommendation of one of the older rangers that he'd been traveling with. He finished his training and has been a ranger ever since, while his three brothers still carry on their parents' business.

Partner name and species:
Hawthorne (Thorne), the Gogoat

Partner skills:
Having been bred to be a beast of burden, Thorne is physically strong and sturdy, able to cover large distances without stopping, though not particularly quickly. His horns and tough skull also prove to be quite formidable when charging.

Jordan also keeps a pair of saddlebags on Thorne's flanks to carry supplies he might need (details in Skills and Equipment).

Partner personality, appearance and background:
As a young Skiddo, he was born to a breeder that raised foreign working Pokémon, such as Mudbray. Unlike most of the docile Skiddo that this breeder raised, Thorne was a stubborn and difficult little Pokémon. One day, the Kreiss family came to see if the breeders' Mudbray would be a suitable replacement for their temperamental Tauros, who seemed to destroy more product than they transported. A ten-year-old Jordan, who had fallen in love with the tiny herd of Skiddo, suggested that they also purchase Thorne after hearing that he was to be shipped back to his homeland to be released into the wild. They did so with trepidation from his parents, and sure enough the Mount Pokémon was a force of nature. Jordan didn't care, though, and spent nearly every moment with the grass-type. Sure enough, the Skiddo not only warmed up to him, but became attached to the boy at the hip, so to say.

He never lost his hard-headedness, though, and doesn't hesitate to let his partner know when he thinks his ideas are moronic. Despite this, though, the two have a deep respect and loyalty for each other forged over time and experience. He did not evolve until after Jordan became a ranger. He looks like a normal Gogoat for the most part, aside from the brown leather saddlebags and such on his back and flank.

Last edited:
I really appreciate the Grass-type idea too, my concern was definitely dropping in out of nowhere, so I think I'll see if I can take advantage of that if I can.
Well, with this partner you can. I was thinking more "spot two people who are running around seemingly looking for something, but this opens up some options...

Jordan also keeps a pair of saddlebags on Thorne's flanks
Wait, that's, huh. That's a thing.

Why don't I have those? Lefty, get over here!

Approved. I like your writing. There's personality in the way things are described. If you want to read some posts from the current storyline post 84 is a good place to start. Post 89 and 93 introduce the last (double-)character to join. Post 97-99 deal specifically with the people who are going to look for a grass type, if you're looking to use that.

(Sort of OOC even though this is the OOC-thread: We have over a hundred posts already? Nice.)

Well, with this partner you can. I was thinking more "spot two people who are running around seemingly looking for something, but this opens up some options...

Wait, that's, huh. That's a thing.

Why don't I have those? Lefty, get over here!

Approved. I like your writing. There's personality in the way things are described. If you want to read some posts from the current storyline post 84 is a good place to start. Post 89 and 93 introduce the last (double-)character to join. Post 97-99 deal specifically with the people who are going to look for a grass type, if you're looking to use that.

(Sort of OOC even though this is the OOC-thread: We have over a hundred posts already? Nice.)
Sweet, onto the one thousand posts! Or the next one hundred posts

Awesome, thank you so much! And I figured I didn't see anyone with a grass-type partner so far, so it kinda fit, haha.

Working on a post, and hoping to have it up sometime today!

EDIT: Alright, it's up. I think I took most of the current happenings into consideration, but if not please lemme know.

Last edited:
I was going to just walk it off, the big bad ranger doesn't care about a little inconvenience. Bandages and stuff, that's too much hassle.

But then you started shouting Jake was going to fall out of a tree, and I'm principly against disappointing people who think you're going to fall out of a tree.

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
I was going to just walk it off, the big bad ranger doesn't care about a little inconvenience. Bandages and stuff, that's too much hassle.

But then you started shouting Jake was going to fall out of a tree, and I'm principly against disappointing people who think you're going to fall out of a tree.
Sry I really thought about what Lucas could do and you were in a tree. I improvised.

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
The three actual rangers are Jake, Lucas, and Jordan. Everyone else is either a recruit or Aubrey who is a civilian currently. Speaking of which I need to write a post for her soon.

Hey,

I got a PM from one of you asking about if they can encounter a Pokémon around here that would make a fun addition to the story at this point but does't occur in the specific area we're in now in the Shadows of Almia game. It's still a species that occurs in the region and in the mainland part of the region, just not this area. And it's a species that can reasonably be seen living in the environment where we are (as in: it's not a Wailord plowing through the forest or something). I said I don't really have a problem with it, the lists per area can be pretty limiting after all. So that would mean from here on in we agree to be a little flexible with the lists. But if any of you have an opinion on it I'd love to hear it.

(I'm not naming the person or the mon because surprises are better without spoilers by the way. Not for like privacy concerns or because I think you'd all pick on this person. In case that was a thought anyone had.)

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't and I'm a terrible person, but Cobalt literally jumping out of a tree cracked me up xD

Also, I'm not sure about anyone else, and I'm not sure what Pokémon we're talking about, but it makes sense to me that the list might be a little different, especially if the Pokémon is still from the mainland. Like, the list is for the game that happens over 150 after the events of the RP, right? So I feel like there might be some migration and such.

EDIT: Dang Hydra, you like fast xD

I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't and I'm a terrible person, but Cobalt literally jumping out of a tree cracked me up xD

Also, I'm not sure about anyone else, and I'm not sure what Pokémon we're talking about, but it makes sense to me that the list might be a little different, especially if the Pokémon is still from the mainland. Like, the list is for the game that happens over 150 after the events of the RP, right? So I feel like there might be some migration and such.
Cobalt is taking after Jake, amazing.

The Pokémon in question lives in an area that is heavily populated and probably polluted in this RP, so migration is not too far fetched

I believe our limit was a nice, easy, 3 partner Pokemon, so choose very carefully~

Three? Okay then, nice.

It was something like "usually up to two" in the initial concept, but we don't need to worry about limits too much, especially since everyone started with just one or none and nobody seems to be powergaming.

Six would definitely feel like too much, at least to me.

It was something like "usually up to two" in the initial concept, but we don't need to worry about limits too much, especially since everyone started with just one or none and nobody seems to be powergaming.

Six would definitely feel like too much, at least to me.
Six is an insane number, I seriously doubt that anyone would get that many partners. Sure, rangers are allowed as much partners as they want as long as they have just one with them at the moment but that is incredibly rare