• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Pokémon Ranger, Almia goes old school. Discussion thread.

I don't really think we'd be able to work out every single detail, different people bring different perspectives and newcomers might find details we'd overlooked even months after we've started. That being said though, I think we'd be capable of working out what issues we might've found already.

Point taken, I was thinking of things like making a final pick for starting partner (if any) or in my own case chiseling out character traits and weaknesses a bit more.

I've updated my stuff a bit. Looking forward to getting started. We've got a nice mix of characters. The thread will go up around 30 hours from now or so, since that's when I have time tomorrow. (I'll also post about it here.)

We're live!

I figured this could bring all of us to one place. I tried to leave as many things as possible open about how Bootcamp Island looks and functions and who arrived when and how, so start filling in the details that matter to you. My character is available for interaction.

As a bit of a service a announcement: if I'm in the back of the pack I can't be the first to see what's going on, so I'd prefer someone else to take the lead on describing what the situation is, even if it's a partial description. Lefty and eventually Jake will jump in from there.

Yeah, you make one up yourself. Any detail not fixed may be made up at any time, as long as it's not like, you know, "you're all fired and all your partners are dead and I was elected bestest ranger ever the end". And we can challenge each other in this. If I think the situation you came up with could use some extra spice, I can make up extra details to complicate it. And the other way around.

I am willing to take on a more DM-like role if you prefer that, but I thought it would be really cool to try playing like this.

What I can do is come up with things whenever the RP seems to be stuttering/when the other players seem to be having trouble coming up with stuff. This lets me plan ahead a little bit, what the next scene is going to be like unless someone else changes it in the mean time.

Like in this case, if I don't see anything arise in the next few days I'll make a post about what you see and what's happening. But again: feel free to beat me to the punch. Player input is awesome.

Yup, that was my intention anyway.

We have a big world to explore, that will only get better as more stuff gets filled in.

Of course, if you've ever got a cool plan for something like this, you already know what's there you just don't want to spoil it yet, you can say so OOC and people will know that bit has already been filled in. But in this case I was just trying to get us all started on writing stuff.

Lefty is with whichever human rangers are up front. I'll have him help if there is something obvious for him to do or if he's getting orders. I shortly considered writing a post from Lefty's perspective ("The beast was large and loud, but nothing Lefty hadn't seen before. It did have a very peculiar smell though"), but I figured that would go into the "too many questions not enough answers" category.

Well no, I figured we could just try making up a scenario as we go along. Like say one person says they see a Feraligator, it's foot appears to be stuck in something, but they can't get close to it because Feraligator is angry and throwing rocks at anyone coming close. So a second person says they're using their flute to calm it down. The third person says it seems to be working, but then It turns out the thing Feraligator's foot is stuck in is actually the blow hole of a positively giant Wailord burried underneath the island which ate the ranger that was supposed to set up an exercise here.

Okay, that last bit is too farfetched, but I wanted to give an example that people were not actually going to use. See if you can come up with something you like. I'll post my own version of what is happening tomorrow if nobody steps in before then. Try to challenge each other (this very much includes me), and react to other peoples challenges (same thing).

A battle is fine by the way, that's a good theme to build scenes around. So if you want to go for a battle, write the start of a battle.

Okay, so let me just get this straight, Celia and the 'incident' are both in the same direction or around the same location? Some of the posts seem to imply that, and others that you have to choose between heading to Celia and heading to the injured Poke.

Right, I did notice that, but what I want to know is if you're all in the same area as the distressed Pokemon. Err, if Wynter heads towards the Pokemon, will she also see Celia?

Celia found a Pokémon in a trap. Celia is now out of her own trap, but the Pokémon is still caught. Lefty (my Rhyhorn) found a Pokémon (that he recognizes as belonging to a ranger) stuck on a rock in the waves off a beach, This is within shouting distance of the other situation, as Lefty could hear Celia. Other people and Pokémon who were at the head of the group but didn't end up near Celia are probably near Lefty. I'm assuming this includes Celia's partner Zian.

So the characters that are at that location have a choice between reacting to Celia's call, which will let them deal with the Pokémon in a trap (I'm also at that location, but I'll wait with taking more actions until you've had your turns), or dealing with the distressed Pokémon they can see. They can also order Lefty around and possibly Zian.

thats a good idea actually I was just gonna have it that Zian ran away (and dont be surprised if that happens more throughout the rp) but Ill whip something up

Im waiting for Paddler before I reply with Zian since I dont know how to describe the current situation with the information given

Im waiting for Paddler before I reply with Zian since I dont know how to describe the current situation with the information given

I wasn't really planning on giving more explanation, since my character there is a partner who's weakness is specifically that he isn't too bright and can't take too much initiative.

But I'll write stuff out tomorrow if nobody else has filled stuff in by then instead. Gives Malcolm and possibly Yusa a bit of a chance to catch up as well.

Wynter can't do anything at the moment, she both doesn't have enough rope, and doesn't have the skill set for this type of rescue. She'd be far too terrified to actually do that. Considering she lived in the desert...I don't think she can swim either.

She'd grit her teeth suggest they tie a rope around her legs and slowly lower her down before pulling her up. Her body would make up for the lacking length of rope, but she'd probably throw up afterwards though.