• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Pokémon Ranger, Almia goes old school. Discussion thread.

Okay, it's maybe more of a time speedup. The goal is to let everyone have one or maybe two posts and then one of us posts an adventure hook. I'll do that unless somebody beats me to it. There's a few in game days here to work your character in it somewhere. Anything from "Taylor was already there and trained her karate skills" to "on the last day Taylor showed up out of breath and with the fear of a painful death in her eyes" will work. Feel free to interact with Jake for this purpose, as long as you don't make him do anything I'll regret. If you choose to be a returning trainee we might even know each other.

jade421

Previously Sarah316
Okay, it's maybe more of a time speedup. The goal is to let everyone have one or maybe two posts and then one of us posts an adventure hook. I'll do that unless somebody beats me to it. There's a few in game days here to work your character in it somewhere. Anything from "Taylor was already there and trained her karate skills" to "on the last day Taylor showed up out of breath and with the fear of a painful death in her eyes" will work. Feel free to interact with Jake for this purpose, as long as you don't make him do anything I'll regret. If you choose to be a returning trainee we might even know each other.

I think I will be a recruit running late, offers a good POV there.

Have to go do a grocery run, then when I come back I'll work on my draft to get it up. Apologies for keeping you guys waiting.

I can work up a quite post if you wanna copy-paste yours and post it afterward -so that we don't end up with a double post.

I figure it's fine. I can motivate why I'm not breaking the spirit of the rules, and I'm not making a habit of it.

So where are the rangers? Do I Just have Taylor run late to this formation wherever it is?

Basically. Find a moment in my post or anyone else's that follows. Or create a moment yourself, like "in the evening with everyone around a campfire". DarkHydraT described Bootcamp Island in post #2 of the RP thread, if that helps. Or ignore my last post and meet us at the bridge just after the last adventure, Kyuukestu describes the place in post #26 of the RP thread. Or wait until we've started the next trip. Or start your own story in a place and time where we can run into you, for instance arriving on the island in some manner and exploring it. Make up NPC's or features of the world if that helps. I don't know how big or small or trivial or weird or nice or awkward you want to make your introduction scene. Start off with your partner interacting with us, if that's what you want to do. Find a way to add things to the story and have fun.

Oh, did I screw up starting with a Pokemon partner already? :'|

Out of character anyone can start with up to two partners (as long as they're not super overpowered or flying mounts, or legendaries, or mega evolutions, stuff like that), Hydra added an in character detail that (at least in Frank's experience) most trainees start without. I'm all for everyone making up that sort of details, they make the world more of a real and living place. Even if we will sometimes end up accidentally contradicting each other.

Edit: Oops, answer overkill...

Sure, @malcolm debourg, the more the merrier. We're just about to leave the camp on the rather vague mission of seeing if we can find whoever made those traps we got that Pichu out of. Hereby I retcon you selected for this mission. Pack your bag and join the group, we're standing outside bootcamp ready to follow Frank towards Chicole Village.

Last edited:

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
Hey is it possible to still join, this looks like it could be a lot of fun. Also before I put in a bio, is it possible to have two characters, I was hoping to make them twins with a minun and a plusle as their partners.

Hey is it possible to still join, this looks like it could be a lot of fun.
Yes, join in, join in.

Also before I put in a bio, is it possible to have two characters, I was hoping to make them twins with a minun and a plusle as their partners.
Uhmm...

I kind of like the idea in itself. I guess I'd have to ask you if you can avoid using the combination to be overpowered. Things like the twins having different fields of expertise played in such a way that it allows them to figure out anything by talking to just each other, or them using their electric Pokémon to invent walkie talkies so you can essentially have one mind in two places at once, or them winning any fight because when one of them picks a fight the other one will come and help. Similar to what I asked about a potential Garchomp in post 28. If you can play the twins in a fun way that leaves spotlight for the other characters that would be alright with me. *Looks at the others to see if anyone objects.*

I think it should be alright. The big benefit of twins over any other potential OP-thing is that if there do turn out to be some large unforeseen consequences you (not me, you, not my call at that point) could always decide to split them up and turn one of them into a regularly recurring NPC. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, join in, join in.

Uhmm...

I kind of like the idea in itself. I guess I'd have to ask you if you can avoid using the combination to be overpowered. Things like the twins having different fields of expertise which allows them to figure out anything by talking to just each other, or them using their electric Pokémon to invent walkie talkies so you can essentially have one mind in two places at once, or them winning any fight because when one of them picks a fight the other one will come and help. Similar to what I asked about a potential Garchomp in post 28. If you can play the twins in a fun way that leaves spotlight for the other characters that would be alright with me. *Looks at the others to see if anyone objects.*

I think it should be alright. The big benefit of twins over any other potential OP-thing is that if there do turn out to be some large unforeseen consequences you (not me, you, not my call at that point) could always decide to split them up and turn one of them into a regularly recurring NPC. ;)
I see no problem with it, as long as it doesn't turn too overpowered like Paddler said

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
Yes, join in, join in.

Uhmm...

I kind of like the idea in itself. I guess I'd have to ask you if you can avoid using the combination to be overpowered. Things like the twins having different fields of expertise which allows them to figure out anything by talking to just each other, or them using their electric Pokémon to invent walkie talkies so you can essentially have one mind in two places at once, or them winning any fight because when one of them picks a fight the other one will come and help. Similar to what I asked about a potential Garchomp in post 28. If you can play the twins in a fun way that leaves spotlight for the other characters that would be alright with me. *Looks at the others to see if anyone objects.*

Ok thanks, I'll make sure to not make them overpowered, they will be proficient in the same areas so you don't have to worry about that aspect and I'll try to keep the uses for minun and plusle realistic and interesting., but not to OP. Also it's ok if they are still trainees right? Sorry just want to make sure I know all the details before joining.

Ok thanks, I'll make sure to not make them overpowered, they will be proficient in the same areas so you don't have to worry about that aspect and I'll try to keep the uses for minun and plusle realistic and interesting., but not to OP. Also it's ok if they are still trainees right? Sorry just want to make sure I know all the details before joining.
Almost the entire cast is composed of trainees, I'm sure that it will be fine

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
Lol sorry I read some of it, but I wasn't sure like how far it had gotten so I just wanted to make sure. I'll post their bios after school, what roles are already taken so I don't try to take someone else's.

Lol sorry I read some of it, but I wasn't sure like how far it had gotten so I just wanted to make sure. I'll post their bios after school, what roles are already taken so I don't try to take someone else's.
Don't think that there really are any roles, could be wrong though. So far from the top of my ead we have a senior Ranger, a person who can calm Pokémon down with relative ease, a person great with rope, a medic, an aspiring Ranger and an aspiring medic.

Don't think that there really are any roles, could be wrong though. So far from the top of my ead we have a senior Ranger, a person who can calm Pokémon down with relative ease, a person great with rope, a medic, an aspiring Ranger and an aspiring medic.

Also see post 112 and 114 on the last page, when Sarah asked this. (Though that does not include Sarah's or Malcolm's character.)

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
Name
Aubrey Matthews

Occupation/role/type of ranger
Trainee. Knows a lot about cooking, and can easily make a tasty meal from stuff in the woods .(This was hard to choose, if this isn't ok just let me know and I'll change it to something else)

Appearance
Has long auburn hair usually worn in two braids. She usually wears a some overalls with a red shirt. She has pale skin, and doesn't really care about her appearance too much. Has defined muscle tone because she works out often. She is 5 ft 6 inches tall.

Skills and equipment
She keeps a bag with some a pot, a pan, and other cooking utensils for on the go. Knows how to fish, but usually can only catch Magikarp. She is also pretty good at foraging.

Personality and background
Twins with Lucas. She and Lucas used to go camping a lot by them selves, but since she was older, by a whole ten minutes, she decided she would take the lead in finding them food and water. From this spawned years of experience in cooking, and she decided she loved doing it. She also became a little overprotective of her brother. She is a huge tomboy and doesn't like relying on others to do things. She is a little uptight and isn't one to let go and relax. She needs everything to be perfect.

Partner name and species:
Scarlet (Plusle)

Partner skills:
Is able to call out to Cobalt when in danger. More powerful with Cobalt, but will mostly just have fun and try to help Aubrey with her cooking.

Partner personality, appearance and background:
Scarlet and Cobalt were given to Aubrey and Lucas at around the age of 10. They were newly hatched and were twins just like them so it seemed like the perfect match. She is the only thing that actually helps Aubrey to let go.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Name
Lucas

Occupation/role/type of ranger
Newer ranger, has been there half a year. Is a really good strategist, has a strong mind for solving problems, in a unique way in order to get the best results. He is also very very knowledgeable and can usually tell a pokemon's cry and other random bits of knowledge that can help him in the field.

Appearance
Has short hair same color as his sister. He wears a black polo and khaki shorts. He has a kind of skinny build and is relatively short for his age standing at a staggering 5 ft 3.

Skills and equipment

Usually keeps a notebook and a pen with him, but that's about it.

Personality and background
Lucas is a little bit of a nerd and he's not the most athletic person. Aubrey didn't really let him worry about much when they were growing up, so he spent a lot of his time in his notebook. He has a kind heart, but is a little tired of his sister fighting all of hi battles for him. Signed up to be a Pokemon Ranger to prove he could do things on his own.

Partner name and species:
Cobalt (Minun)

Partner skills:
Cobalt is able to detect Scarlet and is more powerful when she's around. Can sense where scarlet is and lead Lucas to her.

Partner personality, appearance and background:
Strong enough to protect Lucas. He loves to be with Scarlet, but he does fine without her. He has a tendency to put himself in danger to protect Lucas.

Tell me if I need more detail or if I need to change anything. This took me a lot longer than I expected to come up with these bios, but if anything seems wrong or as you said could be overpowered, just tell me and I'll try my best to fix it. I made it to where the Partners could sense each other but not straight up walkies so they can't talk to each other at any point.

Last edited:
Okay, looks pretty good.

The first thing I noticed it that the 10 minutes younger twin is a year older. ;)

The telepathy thing is kind of a thing that could be abused, but it has enough limitations, such as it only working one way, that I'm curious how you're going to play it. So go for it.

Do you want to start them as completely fresh recruits, or with a little experience? If completely fresh they were supposed to be at the bootcamp a few days ago. We can retcon them to having been there or you can make up something that got them delayed, like they've been stuck in a tree fending off a thousand Weedles or something. (The most convenient example I could come up with.) Or we could meet them being random civilians and that's when they decide to try and join. If they're not completely fresh we could meet them somewhere in the woods or at a ranger base like the one in Vientown. (We also could retcon them as having been at the bootcamp, since it was also a meeting for recruits from previous years, if they could make it given their duties.) It certainly gives options for story hooks and such. You could even go for a mix, Lucas joined half a year ago to prove he can do his own thing and Aubrey is visiting him because she's being worried and protective.

Last edited:

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
Okay, looks pretty good.

The first thing I noticed it that the 10 minutes younger twin is a year older. ;)

The telepathy thing is kind of a thing that could be abused, but it has enough limitations, such as it only working one way, that I'm curious how you're going to play it. So go for it.

Do you want to start them as completely fresh recruits, or with a little experience? If completely fresh they were supposed to be at the bootcamp a few days ago. We can retcon them to having been there or you can make up something that got them delayed, like they've been stuck in a tree fending off a thousand Weedles or something. (The most convenient example I could come up with.) Or we could meet them being random civilians and that's when they decide to try and join. If they're not completely fresh we could meet them somewhere in the woods or at a ranger base like the one in Vientown. (We also could retcon them as having been at the bootcamp, since it was also a meeting for recruits from previous years, if they could make it given their duties.) It certainly gives options for story hooks and such. You could even go for a mix, Lucas joined half a year ago to prove he can do his own thing and Aubrey is visiting him because she's being worried and protective.
Oops sorry about that, I had them both as 16 and forgot to change Lucas. Fixed now though, but god that's embarrassing. Anyway, I'll come up with a reason why they weren't there, but I really liked what you said about Lucas joining earlier to prove himself.