• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Pokémon Ranger, Almia goes old school. Discussion thread.

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
went from my last post pretty much, but with everyone doing their own thing, it got a tad hard to follow (im a derp sometimes
That's fine, but currently, Aubrey is not with Lucas, she's off with Frank because she went to find berries, and she was supposed to catch Cobalt when he jumped out of a tree, but she got distracted. We also have a new ranger named Jordan who's experienced, almost as much as Jake. Lucas is fixing Jake because he fell out of a tree due to Weedle poisoning, and Wynter, Taylor, and Jordan are working on the baskets for the Kakuna.

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
@Paddler did you have a certain idea of what the glowing object was before I make up some bs about a device (maybe put there by the poachers they're after) that causes a mass evolution. I'm literally about to put that in my post and I just wanted to make sure you didn't have plans about what the glowing object is.

Last edited:
@Paddler did you have a certain idea of what the glowing object was before I make up some bs about a device (maybe put there by the poachers they're after) that causes a mass evolution. I'm literally about to put that in my post and I just wanted to make sure you didn't have plans about what the glowing object is.
I have several vague ideas for what it could be, and even some branches of plans that could lead to longer term story arcs, but I'd prefer to run with someone else's idea and maybe see if I can tie something into that. For instance: none of my plans involved a device, so now I can start considering entirely new branches of thought, just as cool as the ones I already had. Meanwhile some of my offshoot ideas I already had could still work even with a device.

But good of you to ask. In general: if I have something I already know but want to reveal later, I'll give you guys a heads up about it. In other cases feel free to fill in the blanks yourself.

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
I have several vague ideas for what it could be, and even some branches of plans that could lead to longer term story arcs, but I'd prefer to run with someone else's idea and maybe see if I can tie something into that. For instance: none of my plans involved a device, so now I can start considering entirely new branches of thought, just as cool as the ones I already had. Meanwhile some of my offshoot ideas I already had could still work even with a device.

But good of you to ask. In general: if I have something I already know but want to reveal later, I'll give you guys a heads up about it. In other cases feel free to fill in the blanks yourself.
Ok thx I'll get to work on my post then. That's just immediately where my mind jumped to and I wanted to run with it, but since you brought it up I assumed you had ideas for it, and I didn't want to like ruin your plans or anything.

I think the best thing would probably something we make up.

Similar to the Icy Rock and Moss Rock, it could be a special type of location that induces evolution in Pokemon, hence why Pokemon gather to it and evolve en masse.

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
I think the best thing would probably something we make up.

Similar to the Icy Rock and Moss Rock, it could be a special type of location that induces evolution in Pokemon, hence why Pokemon gather to it and evolve en masse.
yeah I was thinking something like that, I just haven't really had time to post anything long and thought out.

@Kid_Nukas: This device was sitting on the ground next to the tree? So wait, is this device the same thing I saw glowing or is it not?

Because I walked around the tree quite a bit, and I had to climb a tree to even be able to see the thing...

(I try not to be overly critical of people's ideas and I genuinely like almost all the input people are giving, and I'm willing to be flexible and retcon stuff here and there, but I'd still like to get this straight because it could turn into something cool. And also a little because I'd like to know if pretty much everything I did since arriving here was the result of me being completely blind.)

Last edited:

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
@Kid_Nukas: This device was sitting on the ground next to the tree? So wait, is this device the same thing I saw glowing or is it not?

Because I walked around the tree quite a bit, and I had to climb a tree to even be able to see the thing...

(I try not to be overly critical of people's ideas and I genuinely like almost all the input people are giving, and I'm willing to be flexible and retcon stuff here and there, but I'd still like to get this straight because it could turn into something cool. And also a little because I'd like to know if pretty much everything I did since arriving here was the result of me being completely blind.)
The way I imagined it, it was next to a different tree, but it scanned a certain area for how many Weedle they are. Then someone attracted the Weedle to the tree that they're at currently with something else. Since the other tree is still in the set are, they all evolved

Hmmm, I feel like a device goes against the technology settings of the RP though. Considering we're in the Steam Age and all.

Fair point. A sentence like "it did seem to have some kind of scanner on it" does sound kind of modern. Maybe if we describe it more like a clockwork kind of device, with the slightest hint of steampunk flavor? A big clunky dial pointing at a handwritten "Empty" and lots of cogs coming out if you drop it? I tried to keep the tech section short in the opening post, but one of my favorite things about real history is that some form of modern inventions was usually around for way longer than we think (if not always as a very common thing). Mechanical calculators for instance have been used for centuries. And those fancy newfangled alarm clocks with a wake up light have been around for a while as well, they used a variant of a firing mechanism of a gun for that one, combined with a candle. One of the reasons I kinda liked the idea of a device is that it's something that can be investigated pretty well, and it could be a story-bridge to the more urban centers of the region, if we decide to at any point take that approach. But yeah, we may have to watch out for the borders of the setting on that one.

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
Fair point. A sentence like "it did seem to have some kind of scanner on it" does sound kind of modern. Maybe if we describe it more like a clockwork kind of device, with the slightest hint of steampunk flavor? A big clunky dial pointing at a handwritten "Empty" and lots of cogs coming out if you drop it? I tried to keep the tech section short in the opening post, but one of my favorite things about real history is that some form of modern inventions was usually around for way longer than we think. Mechanical calculators for instance have been used for centuries. And those fancy newfangled alarm clocks with a wake up light have been around for a while as well, they used a variant of a firing mechanism of a gun for that one, combined with a candle. One of the reasons I kinda liked the idea of a device is that it's something that can be investigated pretty well, and it could be a story-bridge to the more urban centers of the region, if we decide to at any point take that approach. But yeah we may have to watch out for the borders of the setting on that one.
I'll revise my post in a little bit, honestly forgot it was supposed to be old school. Thanks for pointing that out. *Facepalms like 10 times because he is stupid*

Although as an addition: That would kind of mean the device is not really powered, in the modern sense. There could be springs storing mechanical energy and such and of course some sort of mysterious semi-magical component like an evolutionary stone, but probably no autonomous backpack steam engine, otherwise we could have cars.

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
Although as an addition: That would kind of mean the device is not really powered, in the modern sense. There could be springs storing mechanical energy and such and of course some sort of mysterious semi-magical component like an evolutionary stone, but probably no autonomous backpack steam engine, otherwise we could have cars.
Yep, I'll get on it, although I won't have time to fix it for a while I need to leave for a bit. I was just hoppin on Charms to check what's happened.

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
Finally edited my post, sorry it took so long. I think this version is better, I'm sorry if it still doesn't. I'll edit it again if needed. I'm sorry again for the derp.

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
It might be good to discuss this OOC as well. Do we want to try splitting up for different assignments, and if so into max how many groups?
Obviously I like the idea, I believe it will give more opportunities for the story to grow. It does place a little more responsibility on the individual, as there aren't as many people in your group to pick up the slack.

My main concern would be that 3 people can turn into 2 people pretty easily, and that can get less fun to play. But have been known to be wrong and I'm happy to go with what others think could work.

(A minor in character concern would be that we just dort of decided not to break the box open to examine it further, and now we're going to examine it further, quite possibly by breaking it open. But in character concerns are always secondary.)

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
I mean, I'm good with whatever you decide. I made sure Lucas try to confirm the plan he came up with with Jake so that I wasn't taking over. mine was just one suggestion to get all of the different things that could be done done, but I think it would also pose an interesting dilemma if we couldn't get them all done. I also just figured we had enough characters in the rp to where we might be able to split up. But again I'm good with whatever.