• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Pokémon Ranger, Almia goes old school. Discussion thread.

For the purpose of being able to interact with people (which is why we play RP's instead of just writing fan fiction) I'd suggest from here on we just assume you are working together on the same Pokémon, a Pichu, that's currently being sung to sleep and has wounds Andy cannot treat with his current kit. The area around it has been detrapped by the two of you while you also kept an eye on Celia. You have whatever items the three of you (plus Aqua) brought plus a hatchet and at least one stick. If you paid attention to it you could also have a rough idea of where the rest of us are since Lefty roared back at Jake.

Wynter, Jake, Lefty and Zian are at a cliff near the bridge onto the island, where a Glameow is stuck on a rock in the water. Wynter has a long end of rope (and potentially other gear that hasn't come up yet), Jake has a shorter end of rope and a small climbing pick. We know where you are (or I do anyway) because I left you there. For continuity's sake I'm assuming Jake left just before Andy arrived.

Is that a decent summary?

For the purpose of being able to interact with people (which is why we play RP's instead of just writing fan fiction) I'd suggest from here on we just assume you are working together on the same Pokémon, a Pichu, that's currently being sung to sleep and has wounds Andy cannot treat with his current kit. The area around it has been detrapped by the two of you while you also kept an eye on Celia. You have whatever items the three of you (plus Aqua) brought plus a hatchet and at least one stick. If you paid attention to it you could also have a rough idea of where the rest of us are since Lefty roared back at Jake.

Wynter, Jake, Lefty and Zian are at a cliff near the bridge onto the island, where a Glameow is stuck on a rock in the water. Wynter has a long end of rope (and potentially other gear that hasn't come up yet), Jake has a shorter end of rope and a small climbing pick. We know where you are (or I do anyway) because I left you there. For continuity's sake I'm assuming Jake left just before Andy arrived.

Is that a decent summary?
Thanks, it is a good summary. I was a bit confused on the location of Andy but it is cleared up now

By the way, Jake is addressing Frank about the catnip because I read back and Jake didn't hear anything about Andy's skills yet, I think. But feel free to but in.

I can get up a response just for the sake of getting something up...

Wynter's waiting on Jake to return with the catnip, but I can have her set up the ropes in the meanwhile.

Unless something comes up, and something can always come up, we might be in a good spot for a minor speedup/time skip/training montage after the Glameow is safe, get everyone just a little familiar with a training session or two below their belt.

My latest post is a little short, because I decided to just completely ignore Zian and Celia for now. PeachyPie can always just come in and write what happened. It's also short because Jake is still on the clock to get that catnip back.

Sorry guys I dont know if this is still active, I got caught up in a shit ton of work, family problems, Schedules that really just didnt mold together well, Im back now if that matters, if Im too far back to catch up again or if this is even active at all let me know

We haven't had a high pace of posting lately, but I'd be happy to get back in there if people are still interested.

(My apologies to Kyuukestu for leaving you hanging there at the end, I was just kind of hoping there were more than two of us still around.)

Hm... Thanks, but I'm gonna sit this one out. It sounds really cool, but right now im just too busy. I'll try to keep an eye on it, and if it stays open by the time my life calms down a little I'll try to jump in. But probably not.

I think I'll stick with the Glameow as Wynter's partner Pokemon xD

Though...I kinda wonder how we'll handle Pokemon move sets. Glameow has a nice enough move pool that can be taught through TMs or Move Tutors...

Actually, perhaps the Ranger's would have a Move Tutor. That doesn't sound too far-fetched an idea.

I think I'll stick with the Glameow as Wynter's partner Pokemon xD

Though...I kinda wonder how we'll handle Pokemon move sets. Glameow has a nice enough move pool that can be taught through TMs or Move Tutors...

Actually, perhaps the Ranger's would have a Move Tutor. That doesn't sound too far-fetched an idea.
Wasn't the Glameow the partner of an other Ranger? Think I read that somewhere

Now that you mention it, I have no idea if this world has TM's. They're supposedly some sort of digital CD-like technology right? But we can definitely do move tutors, learning from other Pokémon or the ranger and their partner figuring it out together. We don't need to define things like abilities and moves on all Pokémon we meet, but for a partner it can be worthwhile.

Wasn't the Glameow the partner of an other Ranger? Think I read that somewhere
Jake thought he recognized it, but there are several ways around that... (EDIT: Lefty thought he recognized it as well, back before it was specified what kind of Pokémon it was or how the coast looked, but since Lefty is not going to talk to anyone we can safely ignore him.)

By the way, hi to all the tagged people! Thanks for considering.

Last edited:

jade421

Previously Sarah316
Name
Taylor Edwards
Occupation/role/type of ranger
A recruit Ranger, relatively new to the force as she specializes in gathering of herbs, plant and has a knack for navigation. Either with or without a map, she can get you (Generally) where you want to go. A bit inexperienced, but a natural go getter who is willing to do whatever it takes to help out and save the day.
Appearance
A girl of average height for her age, with a lean build and fair skin. Long brown hair tied in a ponytail and freckles on her cheeks along with emerald green eyes. Wears a light brown top, with a greed sleeveless vest over and a pair of brown cargo pants and some green tennis shoes.
Skills and equipment
Is good at swinging around and moving from tree branch to tree branch, has a natural sense of navigation and is knowledgeable in various berries, flowers and other flora life which all make her a natural gatherer and explorer. Has a belt which contains a grappling hook she uses to help her swing along with various bags to collect natural herbs and flora samples along with a pocket knife and a home made compass on hand.
Personality and background
Growing up the daughter of a police officer, Taylor always had a sense of duty and adventure to her. Was always a fan of playing various scenarios with her friends of stopping "low life" criminals, particularly in the forest just outside of town, and overall just had dreams of being a hero going on adventures to protect people & Pokemon alike. One day, she encountered a stray Shinx who tried to steal from a local bakery. Taylor tacked it down, and when she realized that it was alone decided to take the Shinx in where eventually the two formed a friendship & partnership that has persisted to this day; where her natural skills of gathering and Shinx's talents of lock picking served as an unusual compliment.

The two then set off, as Taylor decided to turn her childhood passion into a career pursuit. And no career, no path in her life seemed more fitting than that of a Ranger.
Partner name and species:
Star, a Shinx.
Partner skills:
Star is a master at picking locks, using the edge of her star-shaped tail to get inside them and spring them open.
Partner personality, appearance and background:
Shinx is a bit mischievous, despite having a good heart, and will often fall back to old habits and steal samples of meals from others along with the occasional desire to play a prank.
Weaknesses
Is, not the best at thinking before she acts and tends to fall on impulsive tendencies. Also has a natural dislike for more technological gadgets, due to her lack of knowledge or trust in them which can come to bite her when those are needed for the job at hand.

Is also inexperienced in the work of a Ranger compared to other which can lead to the occasional mistake or oversight. Though she works her best to correct these issues.

Hope this is good enough, will edit if I need to~!

Looks good. Welcome to the club. As a relatively new recruit you can choose to join the story as part of the current batch of completely new arrivals or you can come in as a trainee returning to bootcamp island after spending some time with one or more teams in the field. In addition to that you have a choice between pretending you were there all along (that is, for the hour or so real time the story has been running) or drop in at the current time.

Concerning the overall story: We seem to be at sort of a natural break point in the story. Realistically we could spend a lot of time evaluating and cleaning up, but that's not really the fun part of rangering. I figure a good way forward is we write in a short "time skip" for a few days of training in which characters in one or two posts can gain a little skill, obtain a tool or work on their relationship with a Pokémon, and from there we switch straight into the next adventure. If people agree I'll write up a post in the RP thread to start the training.

Looks good. Welcome to the club. As a relatively new recruit you can choose to join the story as part of the current batch of completely new arrivals or you can come in as a trainee returning to bootcamp island after spending some time with one or more teams in the field. In addition to that you have a choice between pretending you were there all along (that is, for the hour or so real time the story has been running) or drop in at the current time.

Concerning the overall story: We seem to be at sort of a natural break point in the story. Realistically we could spend a lot of time evaluating and cleaning up, but that's not really the fun part of rangering. I figure a good way forward is we write in a short "time skip" for a few days of training in which characters in one or two posts can gain a little skill, obtain a tool or work on their relationship with a Pokémon, and from there we switch straight into the next adventure. If people agree I'll write up a post in the RP thread to start the training.
Sounds good to me

jade421

Previously Sarah316
Alright, I'll try to get a post up ASAP.

Where do the recruits meet up after this time skip thing? I presume that you've just done.

Last edited: