• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Magpie's art

That Shaggy Ink Cap Breloom is adorable, the colouration works very nicely with that style of... fluffing? I suppose you could call it that (I know little of fungi). It looks very cute with it's companion Breloom, oh, I could imagine them in risotto. I must say that I'm jealous of your ability to shade and colour.

Weird coincidence. I just finished a fungus unit in biology and I just evolved my Shroomish. 8)

Anyways, that's awesome. I would definitely change my Breloom's forme to that if I could. Not only is it really cool but it's really well drawn too. I'm not that great at shading, but yours looks fine to me.

EDIT: I just saw Lucario. He looks awesome, even though I don't like the species.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
... oh my gosh. Breloom is, like, awesome. And the new one looks like it could actually exist.

*huggles Shaggy Ink cap Breloom*.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Linkachu ~ Thank you, but the Shaggy Ink Cap gets the credit for the shades of blue XD
It would be nice to think there were differences, from toadstool-like Brelooms to little Button Mushroom Brelooms. They'd all be so cute ^^

Tatile ~ I'm not quite sure what you call it. The Ink cap gets it's name because as it matures it 'eats itself' from the bottom upward until the whole things is just covered in black ink-like goo. The 'fluff' might be something to do with that XD

Virgil ~ I loved the plant side of Biology... though I was never keen on the 'lets dissect the goldfish' part

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Time for something none-Pokemon related.

Horus (Or Heru to give him his true name). I love Egyptian mythology, especially where the Gods and Goddesses are concerned, and Horus has always been my favourite, from before I can even remember. Thus, here he is ^^

horus.png

Explanation of the picture (Just to educate)
Mythologically, the God was imagined to be a celestial Falcon whose right eye was the sun and left eye the moon. Seth, the God of chaos fought Horus and tore out his left eye. It was later restored by Thoth, the God of Wisdom and Magic, so the Egyptians believed that ever after the moon slowly disappeared and reappeared in remembrance of the battle.

Ohshanaps. He looks awesome. I like how his "Sun" eye is glowing and the feathers look real, giving him a look like you edited a picture almost, but muuuch better than if you did.​

Awesome, I didnt know you were into Egyption mythos as well ^_^ That is a great representation of Heru, love what you did with the eyes and the feathers. I actually thought you modified the real picture of a hawk at first lol. Thats how reaslitic the bird looks.

Can't wait to see Anubis!

PS: will Sobek ever get some love? That would be grand, he is one of my favourites :p

I love the Brelooms and Horus! The ice Breloom is really cool and Horus, well, Egyptian mythology is amazing. You got one heck of an imagination, and a good drawing hand. Keep up the good work!!

Oh my god! I love you Magpie! *tackles and glomps* Seriously, Eygptian mythology has always had a soft spot for me too. ^^ I I love that awesome Horus, te feathers look so real....Even if it looks more like fur xD

Yay for Horus! I always chose him when advancing to the Mythic Age on Age of Mythology, great god :p

As for the image.... just amazing. :o

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Jet ~ Thanks. Messy is just what I call my style of shading, I tend to 'scribble' a bit because I like the results.

Rayn ~ Thanks, I spent a while on the sun eye trying to make it glow correctly ^^

Jeydis ~ He's based of a Peregrine, since Egyptologists seem to think he was either a Saker or Peregrine falcon. I think Peregrine myself ^^ He's just one big mush of the dodge and burn tools XD

Hopefully I'll have Anubis up before the end of today, since if not I'm kind of pushing it for Christmas. Sobek... it might be interesting drawing a crocodile, since I mostly only ever draw birds and mammals. I might give him a go at some point ^^

Murkwood ~ It's not really my imagination, I just read about him in one of my many Egyptian books and followed the description XD

Chibi ~ XD It does look like fur, because I find that if I try for really realistic-looking feathers they look terrible. Furry feathers just seem to work XD

LoN ~ I always choose him too, because I'm biased. He is good though, those Avengers kick butt XD

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments ^^

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I just always use the mythology, I rarely use human troops XD

Anubis

anubiswah-1.png

While I don't think he has as much impact as Horus does, this was kind of what I was aiming for. There's a lot of mystery and speculation surrounding this God, so I wanted him to blend a little more with the background so that you can't see the details of him.

The version I'm giving my boyfriend is slightly neater and better blended... stupid photobucket wouldn't let me upload the final copy for some reason

COOool. I like the clouds, they look cool with the squigglies in them. And I love his green eyes and how he melts into his... headdress thing (whatever those things are called). Man, jackals are cool.​

Anubis looks epic :D I love the coloring as well. I have always had a liking for Egyptian Gods as well. Keep it up, I'm sure your boyfriend will love the version you are going to give him.

Anubis is awesome. The way you did it, it totally looks like it could just happen out of no where that Anubis would come flying out at you.

Sobek... it might be interesting drawing a crocodile, since I mostly only ever draw birds and mammals. I might give him a go at some point ^^

That would be epic :D A nice watery back ground im guessing? Crocodilopolis would be sweet too lol.

Lovely Anubis, the eyes are very sleek and suit him perfectly. He does seem to be melded to his headress shadow which is suitable for the god of afterlife and one of the judges of the dead.Very nice detail on the head, makes him look like one mean scavenger.

Crocodiles are win ^^

But that Anubis picture just left me in awe. He looks so cool yet scary at the same time, and omg I adore those eyes! [size=1pt]Green=win[/size]

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Rayn ~ I'm sure it has a proper name but I just call it a headdress too XD

LoN ~ It's one of them. I always like to draw/make at least one of his presents, made gifts just always seem more personal. He's also got a huge Anubis head to attach to his wall XD

Jeydis ~ It has to be watery, I don't think a water God would accept anything else XD

Thanks for the nice comments everyone ^^

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I've been meaning to post this for a while, and since I've had a few none-Pokemon drawings posted as of late, I thought I might as well post it before I start on Pokemon again. 'Tis a White Wolf.

White-Wolf.png

She's meant to be a Spirit-ish wolf, like the one in an old film called Balto for anyone who knows what I'm talking about XD

Yey for the background is all one colour ^^

BALTO ~ *dies* I love that movie. The wolf is gorgeous! Everything is spot on, especially the ears. The only 'thing' I can spot is that the hind leg looks a tad skinny at the knee-joint. But graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawr, what program are you using?! Itsopretty. ;o;​

Stupendous. I love the background. The wolf is awesome too.

I'll have to agree with Pix on the leg thing. It does look a tad skinny, otherwise, marvelous.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Ooo... pretty, pretty wolfie ;-; And a rather stunning background to go along with it. I think this must be my favourite picture from you thus far, both of your original artwork and your Pokemon works. It's just ... really good, and realistic. The detail with the fur and the shading is very wonderfully done.

The way the eyes look, you do get that "spirit"-ish sense from it. Very nice indeed ^^

Very very nice peice, I love the eyes on the wolf and the spirit animals inthe background. Well in fact I love everything about it lol hard to critique when im so biased.

Oh manz! Balto's mom is awesome (I know that's not who this is though...). Cool. I love the fur, and all the fur effects you've done so far. Those eyes could see into your soul, and then you'd realize the error of your ways, yadda yadda. I really like the could effects and the howling wolf and the bird (can't identify it...) wonderful stuff.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Thanks so much everyone, I can't believe how many people remember Balto, I thought hardly anyone would! I used to watch it religiously every weekend when I stayed at my Grandma's.

Sami ~ I see what you and Jet mean about the neck on the back leg... strange I didn't notice it while I was doing it XD
Thanks for pointing it out, I'll fix it when I get round to it, otherwise it will bug me. And I use Photoshop ^^

Linkachu ~ Thanks so much ^^

Rayn ~ The spirit bird is a Magpie... just because XD

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments. They mean a lot, as always

Balto is teh pwnage. You made me want to watch it. (Which I did) I remember watching it like some crazy addict.

And now I realize, that really is a silver magpie in that picture! ^^

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
My copy is probably still at my Grandma's...

I might have to watch it, for old times sake. I still have my trusty VHS player after all ^^
And I had to get a silver magpie in there somewhere XD

Hey, this is a great art thread! I'm sorry I hadn't posted in here earlier!
Ok, I absolutely LOVE the Cheetah in the very beginning and that spirit wolf? Amazing. It's sooooo nice, and I totally wish I had digital talent that way.
I also loved the lineart on Linkachu, Jet's Swellow, and DayU/Arte's umbreon.

I really admire Gaian the dragon. The lineart is superb, and the background is really nice and well texturized. I love that piece completely.
Nice Work, SM!

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Thank you very much! To be fair I should probably comment in your Sprite thread, since I view it often enough XD

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Gift for Sami ^^

spinda.png

Random doodle of a psychotic Spinda, who belongs to Pixeity
Chainsaw = fail XD

I haven't commented here in a while, but I just wanted to say everything looks good. :)

I like that wolf, it looks really realistic.

And Psychotic Spinda is awesome, Spinda's my favorite Pokemon and I know how hard they are to draw. Well, they're hard for me, so I'm impressed. Keep it up!