• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Magpie's art

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I always have problems with Light XD
It's coming from the top left of the picture, so its shining downwards. The feet are slightly curved downward, and further forward, so they're in shadow. (His) left ear does look a bit off... I was trying to make the ear look slightly curved, which would mean a little was in shadow, as would be the inside of his ear... but I agree it doesn't quite look right.

It's something I need to work on for sure ^^;

It's coming from the top left of the picture, so its shining downwards. The feet are slightly curved downward, and further forward, so they're in shadow. (His) left ear does look a bit off... I was trying to make the ear look slightly curved, which would mean a little was in shadow, as would be the inside of his ear... but I agree it doesn't quite look right.
I don't take things that complex when I do light. (For my 3 colourings-in-gimp projects :p)

I pick where it's coming from, and just shade one side lighter and the other darker, simple as that. Tried it that way? :)

Linkachu is amazing! It would own Fi anyday.

That's a great compliment coming from me, lol.

The expression is infinitely adorable.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
*Hugs everyone who's commented*

LoN, I do have a tendency to over-complicate things, so I'll give your suggestion a try XD

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
MERRY CHRISTMAS POKECHARMS!

christmaspokes-1.png

I'm sure there are a couple of lighting issues... but meh, I tried XD
Only thing that annoys me is that some pokemon have thicker line art than others, which was due to re-sizing to make them all correctly proportioned to each other... but that couldn't be helped really. Anyway...
Merry Christmas everyone ^^

Ah, oh my gosh that's awesome! Merry Christmas to you too. :)

Hoothoot looks like a real Sugimori, or whatever, work of art. I love how Stantler has a red nose.

......holy feck.

That's awesome Magpie, though what you said about the lines 'n' such do make it a bit off.

It almost looks like the Hoothoot and Delibird are a bit out of place in that picture, but, like you said, couldn't be helped.

Awesome job. It earns an eleventy six.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Thanks Virgil ^^

Cody - Delibird and Hoothoot were drawn first, Delibird because he's the center Pokemon and Hoothoot as a 'marker' for where the baby Pokemon were to go. However, it didn't work XD
When I'd drawn Stantler he looked to small, so he needed enlarging etc etc etc...

LoN - Thankies, I tried to do as you suggested ^^
And Togepi is thinking *That pink present... it is mines*

Epic cuteness! I love it. I don't know if I've posted on your thread before, but that's something different.

I love it! Keep up the work...or else...

Roudolph the Red-nose/beak/mouth'd Stantler! Riolu is adorable, Hoothoot is funny, Munchlax has the right expression, Togi is just lol and Delibird makes a perfect Santa! Yay for Christmas!

*Gasp* I haven't posted here yet? Kill my laziness/forgetfulness. XD

Anyways... Awesome art you have been/are doing, Silver Magpie. I am not seeing any major flaws, in fact, I don't really have much criticism. Just keep on going well with your art, I love it! =D

The Christmas picture is

Awesome. Just simply awesome. We needed Christmas art, and there it is.

You are truly amazing Magpie. Kudos.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator

This is so frelling WRONG and yet so frelling adorable.

... If I wasn't feeling too blargh to give a damn, though, DayU would have been very... very... dead for this. >>;

(Also as in anthro form the armblades would be an extension/modification of the arm crests, their lack of existence isn't a bad thing).

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
That thing ... is so bloody cute. People would want to huggle it only to die bloody deaths due to the claws XD

I wonder how much you could sell those things for a piece? ;p

Loving that Christmas picture, too. Expect a PM to be sent your way following this post ^^

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I think they might sell for a fair bit, a lot of plushie critters seem to... but after the first wave of deaths I think their value would drop somewhat XD

Thanks for the nice comments everyone ^^

I will admit, Magpie, it is pretty awesome. And I must say, it was worth it! XD Now I can start marketing them! >=D Think someone would buy one for thirteen US dollars? I'd find it a fair price for a murderous plushie like that. XD

lol. lol. lol. [size=2pt]I want one...[/size] I can imagine someone hugging it but then getting really bloody fast, I don't think that those would be fake claws. [size=2pt]I want one...[/size] And that it would come to life and tear your ears off. Then kill you. Maybe you'd have it so you could kill the people you don't like...*Goes on a imagining*

Magpie can draw just about anything it make it look frelling awesome.

On top the ....well....the object....is....well....awesome.

Swicked job Magpie.

OMG STEL IS SO CUTE!!!!!!!

I would totally hug that despite the fact that the room would soon get repainted red. It's too adorable to resist. ^^ [size=1pt]And I probably would buy one, but y'know....Teh Stel does not approve...[/size]

Awesome job Magpie. Just...*needs a better vocabulary*

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Thanks everyone ^^

magmar.png

Originally this was just going to be a picture of Magmar, firstly because he's always just stood in the same old pose, and secondly because in chat when we've had Pokemon-related nicknames I've been Magpiemar ^^
However, he looked a bit plain by himself, so I added Electabuzz and thought it could be a 'We don't need evos' kind of thing. Scyther just worked his way in there XD

I always saw these as a three, though I'm not sure why. But anyway, that's how this came about. They're like three ninjas. And strangely, it would appear that Magmar and Electabuzz are coloured using the same yellow by the animators XD

And on the lighting front... Lighting. What lighting? I do not know of what you speak.

Pssh. Lighting is over-rated. I almost thought you said lightning... Magmar is in an actually cool pose! Yay. Never really liked him but... Magmotar is utter fail. Electabuzz looks wicked and the same goes with him and his evo... Scyther looks really cool, I think I've seen that pose before somewhere but it looks awesome none the less.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
That's the official art pose of Scyther I think. When I tried to draw him different he didn't look right, so I went with the original. Plus that pose actually fits in with the other two rather well XD

I'm not keen on either Electabuzz or Magmar's evos, though I despise Magmortar

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Last one I think, before Christmas anyway, unless I get any random requests. My relatives that I never see otherwise will be descending upon me soon and I won't have time XD

lucario-1.png

Sorry it's small, but I made it as a siggy in case of I feel like changing Thundie, which I won't XD

Yay for shading! :p

Great Lucario, as much as I despise them for being good at...... EVERYTHING, its a great image. Good job :)

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Great Lucario, as much as I despise them for being good at...... EVERYTHING, its a great image. Good job :)

I disliked him for ages, but recently I've taken a liking to him (No, not because of his shorts).
I shall ignore your shading comment, since I always do it so well :p

000aj - Once the line art is done, colouring isn't too difficult because pokemon are generally very simply coloured XD I just get a reference picture and imagine what they'd look like in different angles and poses. Then I draw the line art. Not much too it really, aside from the imagination ^^

OhmygoodnessitsLucario! Yay! I was very skeptic with Lucario until I saw the movie... then he was like my favorite. I like how he's stepping out of the shadows, very dramatic and very suitable for him.​

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Thankies ^^

This is a random request from a friend, who wondered what a Breloom would look like if it was based off a different fungus.

I based mine off a Shaggy Ink cap, because it's such a pretty shade of blue ^^
It was done rather quickly, since it was just an experiment, so please excuse the shading and slightly wobbly lines XD

looms.png