• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Magpie's art

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Well, I figured I might as well post something of mine, since so many people seem to do it ;D

Requests

Request Status: Closed

Generally, if my request status is 'open', I'm very happy to take requests. I prefer them by PM, mainly to keep my thread less 'requesty' and more 'arty', but I'll still take ones posted. There are only a couple of things I'd like everyone to keep in mind:

New Members

For the reason stated below, I'd prefer that new members don't request. Once you've been here a while, say a month, I'll gladly take your request.

Newish Members/Members I've never spoken to
You can request singular Pokemon, or something simple

Forum regulars/Members I know
Whatever you'd like really. Pairs/groups etc.

Please note that I don't take requests for trainers/people. Other artists here are much more suited to that sort of thing.

The reason for this restriction is simply that I'd rather spend time on the regular members than on someone who's on here once and then disappears. Not to sound mean, it's just the way I feel. I have lots of gift art in mind for people, so obviously Forum regulars get priority ^^

I don't as a rule do requests for paintings (Like the cheetah below) or for the animals (Like the White Wolf).

Lastly, if you've just requested don't request again straight away. Unless I'm in a good mood, I'll turn it down.

This a painting of a Cheetah (Yes I know the background sucks, I'm not so good with backgrounds). Done with watercolors. It was for a college project (illustrate a series of book covers)

What do you guys think?

*Meh, the server move killed my Cheetah. I'll re-attach it when I can be bothered to find it on my endless collection of storage disks

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Thank you for the nice comment ;D

I just tend to rush backgrounds, so I always think they look messy. Plus, I don't find them as interesting to paint.

I love the uper right corner how it cuts to balck but the outline makes the cat stand out nicely. The whole piece is really great ^.^ nice job.

The painting looks very nice. The pose is very nice, The background looks great. Your painting skill are very good. I can't wait to see some more paintings. Keep it up!

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Thanks Jeydis and Jetters :)

The front cover of the book was black, and I didn't want the spine to 'cut-off' sharply into all that colour. I'm glad you think it works.

Thanks for the nice comments. I don't get much free time to paint, even though I used to really enjoy it. Uni takes up most of my spare time these days ::)

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Thanks a lot ^^

I tried to get the colours as 'Cheetah-like' as possible

Well it really worked... Even though both the cheetah and background are bright colors, they still contrast each other in a really cool way =) I didn't say this before, but that's great, especially for being done in watercolor.. It's so hard to work with for me for some reason XP

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Ah, Fimo. Had a go at making a couple of Pikmin out of Fimo (which I haven't used since I was about five). I'm pretty pleased with the result - the feet look wrong but that's the best I could do on such a small scale!

The weird blue outline on the purple pikmin is just bad photoshoping on my part. The camera turned the purple blue (stupid camera) so I made it purple again on Photoshop. Blah

[attachment killed by Server move]

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Lol, that's good to know! It was really annoying me earlier. Thanks for the comment ^^

Holy f*** that cheetah looks awesome!! *hugs* The thing that astondes me most is the face. I can draw cats decently but the face is always screwed up looking. *pets cheetah* Cute little thing.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Thank you for the comment Chibi. I always do the face first (usually the eyes) because if it looks good, I know the rest of the picture will.

Here's a look at my Digital art (Photoshop CS) This is a little Dragon-thing that I got in my head one day. I called her Gaian, because of the Wood look. It's a weird mixture of styles - Gaian is Anime-ish but the background is more realistic, even though I know backgrounds aren't my strong point... The line of the Moss on the nearest tree is way too straight and cleanly cut, but other than that I'm quite happy with her.

Gaian.jpg

The Gryphon symbol in the corner was my Watermark at the time this was drawn, when I went by the name of Gryphon_Fire ^^

OMFG!!! *frickin dies* I want that cute lil' dragon!! *jumps up and down and hugs* Best dragon I've ever seen, and earth; my favorite element! I swear, that thing's just too cute. ;D

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Was going to have this in my signature, but it makes the whole thing look a little crowded. So I'm putting him here.

thunder.png

Done in FreeHand MX

It's the Black Umbreon from Inle! Don't know how many of you are familiar with the fantastic book/film Watership Down, but Umbreon reminds me of the Black Rabbit, so just for fun here he is ^^

inle.png

For those that don't know (shame on you), the Black Rabbit of Inle is the rabbit version of the Reaper ^^
Happy times.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Here's my attempt at Flygon, which I'm happy with except for the head, it looks a bit weird. This is the pose I imagine him in when he's doing Earthquake ^^

flygon.png

Little Mudkip, in honor of his recent demise in Hurt and Heal :p

mudkip.png

To say thanks to DayU for making me a cosplayer, I had a go at Umbreon. Hope you like ^^

umbreon.png

Flygon- win.

Little Umbreon wearing a red bandanna - totoal win ;D

The Flygon looks kinda cute in my opinion, and so does the Umbroen but it has a "Don't mess wid me" pose.

.. lol.@you drew the Umbreon I made for Day_U. xD It's nice to see he loves it that much. Looks terrific, too. :D I've loved that Umbreon since I scratched it for Day_U. *cuddle*

/offtopix
Your art is amazing. o: Especially that cheetah in the first post. And the Umbreon. And the Mudkip. And the Flygon-- *shot*

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Lol! I completely didn't realise it was by you, I just took a look at DayU's avatar for a guide on where the red goes (Now I remember your name's under it XD It's a brilliant scratch sprite, are you planning on opening up a new sprite thread or anything?

I like the Flygon too, it's just his face looks a little odd :p

oya~You did very well~The Cheetah looks vivid!~(Sorry I can't press myself well in English...If in Chinese I'll say---生龙活虎!)
My be you need to have draw some real scenery?(Of course my back ground isn't good as well. I always draw too much purple, and I'm lazy to draw background carefully.) By the way, I think the loveliest is the Umbreon! I really like it's red scarf~~(Oh oh~Which rescue team is it in?)
Last but not least, I wish you will have more nice paint for us^0^

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
@ Purple - No it wasn't used on a real book, I did it for a college project. We had to design a series of five book covers and I chose to base mine on endangered species (Book One: The Big Cats).

@ elyoncat - I think it is because I am lazy at backgrounds too. I don't enjoy doing them as much. The Umbreon is DayU's character, originally designed by Arte. I'm not sure where he got the inspiration from.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I shall bump with something new... that's old XD I found it on one of my old Art CDs, from back in the day I didn't have Photoshop

Done on MS Paint. It's a Shryke from a series called The Edge Chronicles, a series I used to love when I was a little *cough* younger. Shading on the blade is none existent, but I'm really proud of the feathers.

Shryke.png

Oh my goodness, Silver! I didn't know you used to read the Edge Chronicles! I love that series! Which shryke did you model it off of?

I do love the shryke. I'm curious, what else can you draw from that series?

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
@ Jeydis - I'm glad you like it ^^ It was fun to do! I'm looking forward to seeing what he evolves into!

@ Secad - The Edge Chronicles was my favourite series for ages, I loved all the monsters and weird animals. The Shryke is based off the one off the cover of The Last of the Sky Pirates and one of the elite sisterhood, specifically the one off page 113. As to what else, I'm not sure to be honest. Shrykes were my favourite race, although I loved the White Ravens too. I'm terrible at drawing people, so I guess any of the beasts/animals. I'm sure I have a sketch of a Stormhornet somewhere, I'll have to have a look for it!

Edit: Found the Stormhornet sketch ^^

storm.png

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Thanks ^^ I love them too. I think it took me about an hour, though it was drawn ages ago so I can't remember exactly.

!!!

Oh my God.

I remember trying to look at this topic a while ago but none of the pictures would show up for me. Well, they show up now and they're amazing. I don't even like Torterra but your picture makes me love them. I hope you do more!

OH MY GOD!! i love it so much! is it okay if ask LoN_Collusus to put it in a signature? (giving credit of course)

thank you thank you thank you, i can't stop staring at it lol

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
@ Virgil - Thanks ^^ It's weird they didn't show up to you before though.

@Badly - No problem, I'm glad you like it!

@LoN - No worries ^^

Wow Magpie, you're doing great! I'm impressed by a lot if it. I'm gonna stalk your thread from here on out! >=D