• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Magpie's art

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
All 12 starters ^^

starters.png

And no, I don't know how those balloons are managing to hold up Chikorita and Totodile XD
Glad you liked the pic Midnight, and I like the blood too Chibi, it was fun to do ^^

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
It didn't take too long actually, I did it this morning before dinner. I think it's because all the starts are pretty simple to colour, once I had all the line art done colouring hardly took any time at all. I spent a good deal of time on those balloons though... I couldn't get them round, and they still aren't quite right XD

Chikorita is awesome, in my perfectly unbiased opinion. :p The rest are fantastic, but the grass type on the balloons tops it off.

Oddly enough your mudkip is the best of the bunch, but its great overall, the coloring work is perfect and I really love the water starters, they seem to be very Sugimori like.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Chikorita had to go on the balloon, I doubt anything less would have been accepted XD
I have a soft spot for little Mudkip, so it probably shows through in my drawings.
Thanks for the compliment ^^

*glomps Magpie and stealz the Johto starters*

This is so freakin' adorable Magpie you have no idea ^^ When I saw what postitions all of the Johto starters were in I couldn't hold back a little squeal. Chikorita is so full of win.

...Those must be some awesome balloons. The starters are really nice, I love those guys too much. So dang cute...
LoLopunnymaid. I love the pose and while I'm not so much of a fan of them, I might just catch one so I could have a maid...yeah...
The characters from Runaway look nice, well, not nice in personality, but nice in the way they look. Ttar looks dino-riffic.​

I love how Cyndaquil is crawling on Bulbasaur :)

Also, that Houndoom, or Houndour or whichever it is, looks really really awesome. Once again you've made me enjoy looking at a Pokémon I normally don't enjoy looking at. Nice art.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta admit your skill at drawing these pokes is pretty darn good! ^_^

Love the starters, awesome posing abound. Runaway characters look great as well, and that Lopunny is hilarious (at least to me :p )

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Thanks again everyone for the wonderful comments *hugs you all*

Up next we have my favourite Pokemon, because he's awesome XD

mane.png

I wanted to have something to put in my signature, so the detail on the rock isn't great (because it was going to be rather small in the end). I might have to re-colour my avatar now though, he looks quite dull in comparison XD

The pose is based off a Pokemon card.

Edit: I drew around my Avatar, which seemed to solve the dull problem XD

Wooooooow! Awesomeness!

Can't think of anything else to add, except the detail on the rocks you mentioned.

Me likies the Mantric siggy. IT'S THE THUNDERDOG! Nice pose, looks like lightning is gonna come down. Uh. The rock looks cool, but probably doesn't really work actually rock-ness. But it's shrunk sooooo....yeah.

You should put lightning in the background...Other than that, I LOVE what you did with the grass, it looks too real...not like that's a bad thing.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Yeah, the rocks kind of failed, but as a signature it isn't too much of a problem XD
I did try to add some lightning, like a big bolt coming down in front of him, but it just didn't look very good against the forum background, with it being a light green. If the background was dark it would have looked awesome XD
Thankies for the comments ^^

And Jeydis, your request is coming along slowly... very slowly XD

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
This is part of a request I'm working on for Jeydis, the other half I'm seriously struggling with XD

jeydis.png

It's a raptor named Goretalon.

Jeydis, I did Goretalon in this style, but I can't do your character the same way, due to my lack of skill regarding humans XD I may end up reverting to an Anime/Manga style, in which case I'll redo Goretalon.

That is seriously epic :o I am very very thankful for this Silver. You did a great job with my lil Goretalon ^_^ even as a single peice he stands out very well. I can honestly see how Jeydis must be insane to do in realistic style. I would be very happy with a cartoony style, more akin to your traditional pokemon drawings.

*Huggles Silver*

I owe you ^^

...Does Jeyjey play WoW? >:D
Very loverly raptor SM. Awesome details, everything looks perfect. I'm loving Goretalon's expression. It's very dino-riffic.
I also love Thunderdog's Santa hat, makes me smile whenever I see it.​

Does Jeyjey play WoW?
That I do ^_^
Very loverly raptor SM. Awesome details, everything looks perfect. I'm loving Goretalon's expression. It's very dino-riffic.
I also love Thunderdog's Santa hat, makes me smile whenever I see it.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Thanks for the comments ^^ And Manectric does just have the perfect shaped head for a Christmas hat XD

And now we have the complete version of the request...

jeycopy.png

Hopefully this looks ok, Jeydis, I tried a more Pokemon like style and it looked worse! So I went back to Goretalon's style and tried again XD
My humanoid anatomy isn't the best, but overall I think she looks ok ^^
That Axe is awesome by the way :o

That is truely epicly awesome ! I mean like Kecleon 6-0ing an OU team awesome, Or Ludicolo Fire Punching a skarmory to death awesome.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'm glad you like ^^

I did try to do a jungle-ish background, but it just didn't work out - it made the whole thing look to busy. Thus you were placed in a more mountainous region XD

I meant the skin being tan :p and the mountains are fine, the starting area for trolls looks kinda similar to that in the game.

:O. That's amazing. Like amazing amazing. Trolls are so epic. And this is epic. Did I mention it was also amazing? 'Cuz it is. You really got something good going on.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I always thought your avatars looked awesome, Magpie. I can't believe I didn't realize until now that you'd drawn them yourself =O

Lots of awesome work in this thread, from the line art, to the backgrounds, to the coloring and shading. It goes without saying that I love all of your Pokemon artwork (the Electrike/Skitty image is adorable ^^), but your non-Pokemon work is great, too. That picture you did for Jeydis makes a prettiful avatar :3

I shall be stalking your thread from now on :p

OMG!!! Stalker!!!

Anyway, That picture is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...o epic! I love it!

*glomps*

Magpie, you're awesome. Incredibly awesome. Y'know, your art looks like it could be actual boxart. I'm that serious. YOU could design the next Boxart for game.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Seriously, thanks to everyone who's commented. All your comments mean a lot to me. And Fachion, I think drawing Boxart for fantasy games would be the best - job - ever XD

My attempt at Linkachu ^^

linkie.png

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Wow. Way to surprise me :O

That is too cute! I love it! ^^ And the shield looks really great. I love the coloring/shading you did on it.

*Huggles Linkachu, too* ... Does that make me narcissistic? >>;;

But kidding aside, thank you. Truly. I wasn't expecting to see something like this from you, so it's a very pleasant surprise/honor =)

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Linkachu - Since your the Mod I always seem to PM with little questions/inquiries etc, I thought it would be nice to give something back XD

Epic win. Linkachu is epic win. More so on your perspective. You're awesome Magpie.

Oh, by the way, You can call me Jet/Plapti/Whatever name you hear me as, no just Fachion. You're free to use it, but don't feel like you're compelled to use Fachion when everyone else uses Jet.

I'd join the hug but it looks like there's only room for two :p

Great work there Magpie, really good! I would criticise, but believe it or not my art skills are nonexistant so I wouldn't call it my place to criticise :(

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Jet - Thankies. I joined the forum while you were Plapti, but Jet's the name that seemed to stick. I called you Fachion because often when people change their names they prefer to be called the new one... but thanks for clearing that up. Jet is it ^^

And LoN, criticise as much as you want XD
Everyone has a right to an opinion, especially when it comes to art, whether you can draw or not. So if there is anything thats odd/wrong etc about something I do, please feel free to tell me ^^

And LoN, criticise as much as you want XD
Everyone has a right to an opinion, especially when it comes to art, whether you can draw or not. So if there is anything thats odd/wrong etc about something I do, please feel free to tell me ^^
The problem is, I don't really know what to criticise :(

The only thing I can say, is that from my knowledge of signatures. Where's your light source? I think its off to the left (our left) somewhere, but then what's with the bottom of the foot and the (his left) ear?

They help with your shading, as I've found when I've coloured art in for people.