• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask Teh Doc

That's Action Replay for the most part. But if you mean surfing through the door in Aaron's room in the Elite Four, that's a glitch in the Japanese versions only.

do you mind telling me how do they determine the type for hidden power?
i read somewhere (serebii.net i think) that the stats detrmine its type and power
through a few formulae, but then this must mean that hp's type changes each time
a pokemon levels up.. is it true?

Hidden Power is based upon the IVs of the Pokemon. Both the type and power of it is found through the Pokemon's IVs. So, it's almost always luck to get the Hidden Power you want.

So to answer your question, no that isn't true.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
do you mind telling me how do they determine the type for hidden power?
i read somewhere (serebii.net i think) that the stats detrmine its type and power
through a few formulae, but then this must mean that hp's type changes each time
a pokemon levels up.. is it true?

I realise Plapti already started to explain this, but I suspect you might be new enough not to understand his explanation. It is indeed the stats of a Pokemon that determine the type and level of Hidden Power, but the hidden stats that a Pokemon is "born" with, not the visible stats that you see. These hidden stats are called IVs (Individual Values) or DVs (Deter Values). For more information, read Psypoke's Hidden Numbers Guide, and follow the links to the Deter Value guide, IV/DV Calculator and Hidden Power Calculator.

[quote author=Kumi link=topic=1251.msg41550#msg41550 date=1198349391]
Are the aimations/cries long?
[/quote]

Care to rephrase this question? I have no idea what you're talking about. What do you define as "long"?

I realise Plapti already started to explain this, but I suspect you might be new enough not to understand his explanation. It is indeed the stats of a Pokemon that determine the type and level of Hidden Power, but the hidden stats that a Pokemon is "born" with, not the visible stats that you see. These hidden stats are called IVs (Individual Values) or DVs (Deter Values). For more information, read Psypoke's Hidden Numbers Guide, and follow the links to the Deter Value guide, IV/DV Calculator and Hidden Power Calculator.

Care to rephrase this question? I have no idea what you're talking about. What do you define as "long"?

But I'm still confused... Aren't the IVs the numbers that I see change each time my Pokemon levels up? So?
Or am I confusing it with EVs?

one more thing. if I breed two different Pokemon with the same egg group like Rattata and Eevee, which one will I get? Does this have to do anything with gender?

IVs don't change. They are a one-time bonus given to a Pokemon at the moment of its creation (when you fight it in the wild or hatch it from an egg or otherwise obtain one from an NPC). The visible stats begin with these IVs applied, and after that the stats increase through level-up, EVs, and other things. IVs are used to determine other things as well, such as the power and type of Hidden Power.

As for breeding, the baby will always be the same species as the mother, but they may hatch knowing certain techniques from their father. There are some techniques that can only be "learned" this way for some Pokemon.

It lets you switch no matter what. If a Steel-Type is trapped by Magnet Pull, Shed Shell lets you switch out. If a Pokemon is trapped by Arena Trap, Shadow Tag, Mean Look, Block, or Spider Web, the Shed Shell will let you switch. So in short, It lets you switch, no matter what. That's my rant on a useful item.

The Shed Shell really is useful then. Coolness!

Another question: Would the Iron Fist ability work with Strength or is it just for attacks with Punch in the name.

It only works with the following moves:
-Fire Punch
-Thunder Punch
-Ice Punch
-Comet Punch
-Mega Punch
-Bullet Punch
-Mach Punch
-Sky Uppercut

All of them have punch in the name (Uppercut is a kind of Punch).

Edit: Dunno if Drain Punch is in the list, but I think it should be. Bulbapedia never mentioned it.

And to answer Arceus' question:

Evasion is random (Unless you used Double Team or something).
But when Substitue is up, your assured to not get hit by 1 attack (Using 25% of your HP to take the blow).
To sum it up, it's all chance.

I see you've got a Swellow, Plapti. BTW, this is again about Substitute. Is it only for one attack, or many attacks? And one more, does Barrier provide better defense than Reflect, or is it just the same? The only thing that I know was Barrier raises Defense by two stages, while Reflect makes moves deal half the actual damage. So which one supports better?

I'm not sure I can give a good answer on the Barrier/Reflect issue, but it sounds to me as if that'd depend on the Pokemon in question's defense stat.

As for Substitute, it's dependent on HP. If my Vaporeon has 100 HP and it uses the move, then the Substitute has 25 HP.
So let's say the enemy Jolteon is kinda stupid and uses Tackle. It does 10 HP worth of damage, meaning the Substitute still has 15 HP and therefore is going to be around for the next turn.
If the enemy Jolteon uses Thunderbolt and it does 75 HP worth of damage, that's equal to or greater than 25, so the Substitute disappears.

Barrier increases defense stat by two stages and it stays until it's either Hazed away or switched out.
Light Screen/Reflect halfs the damage done for 5 turns.
Swellow attacks a Breloom with Aerial Ace for 320 damage. If Reflect was up, it woul only do 160 damage. If Barrier was used it'd only do 180 damage. So, it really depends. If it wasn't weak to Flying attacks by 400%, Light Screen/Reflect is better.

I think Light Screen/Reflect is better since you can switch out an is still active. Only thing is that it lasts only 5 turns.

That's my rant on Light Screen and Reflect.

Thanks for the info on Substitute, snapdragon. Plapti, if I use Barrier 3 times hence increasing Defense for 6 stages, how much damage would my Pokemon take? If I'm not mistaken Reflect can only be used once, or at least until it faded. One more. How did you calculate the damage that would be taken if I used Barrier? Thanks in advance..

EDIT: Oh yes, regarding Magnitude and EQ. Between Magnitude 10 and Earthquake, which is stronger/has more base power?

Double hit. Is it like Fury Attack and hits multiple times for the same base power per hit or does it hit two times for the 35 base power? I mean, when it hits twice does each hit do the 35 base power? If that's not confusing enough... Does it get a Technician boost, too?

does hypnosis work on ghost and dark type pokemon

Sure does. That's how I found out that Synchronize doesn't work with sleep conditions when my Umbreon got put to sleep by Hypnosis even though it is a Psychic type attack. Future Sight also affects Dark types.

BTW since you asked about Ghost Pokemon: they don't have a resistance to Psychic moves like Dark Pokemon do. They just do standard damage.

I have a question...

what are Oval Stones for?

I saw the pokedex in this site, and it says Happiny needs a round stone to evolve, and I origionaly thought they needed the oval stone, so now I think theyre just useless. ._.

on a side note, Holy crap, it took you THAT long to beat the elite four? O_o
I only had diamon for a week ( 42 hours at best in the game) and even I managed to beat the elite four. (but only barely, and because horndrill actually HIT 3 times in a row.)

sorry, no disrespect or anything. you probably still know more than me about the game though. ^ ^'

Oval Stone and the Round Stone are the same. It's just how the Japanese was translated I think. Otherwise, they're the exact same. Hope that clears that up.

I didn't think this was worthy of its own thread...

Is there any significance to what order a dual type Pokemon's types come in? For example Rhydon is Ground/Rock while Golem is Rock/Ground. Does it matter?

No, It just shows a dominance to a type. It has no change what so ever. So Golem has more affinity towars Rock while, Rhydon has affinity with Ground Types. Nothing to be worrying about. They share the same weaknesses and junk.

How much base power do each of the Magnitude levels have? I want to know what the base powers are for each level. (Magnitude 10 and the like.)

Also, Can I post a thread explaining the natures here? Or would that go somewhere else, or did someone already post something about that?

I believe The Doc is working the natures into the Game Information Section on the Homepage. If you have any suggestions, feel free to post them into this topic.

To the first point. Magnitude's power is like this:

Level 4=10
Level 5=30
Level 6=50
Level 7=70
Level 8=90
Level 9=110
Level 10=150

P

Pokepok

I have tried and tried but I never managed to catch a female Combee...
Can you please tell what specific regions it can be caught or is it that I can catch it on all those sweet smelling trees (and yet i did not find it...)?

Also, where can I get the reaper cloth and shiny stone?