• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask Teh Doc

No problem at all.

I actually have a question of my own at this point.
There was a Platinum update to My Pokemon Ranch that was released about two months after Platinum was in Japan. It's been about three months since Platinum came out in the US. Has anyone heard anything about this update in the US?

This may come off as a rather frivolous question, but I can never find the answer to it no matter HOW many places I try...

Has the Old Rod been changed to catch OTHER Pokemon than Magikarp, and, if yes, can it catch a Finneon at the beach beneath Sandgem Town?

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
I'm pretty sure the only thing you can catch other than magikarp with the old rod is feebas.

And while finneon can be found south of Sandgem, it's only obtainable with a good rod :/

So, I've yet to get an answer to either of my two previous questions in this thread, but maybe this one will get answered.

I was wandering around Pokemon.com and thought it might be interesting to look at the GTS tutorial to see what it said. If you look under GTS features and go to #5 it says that there is an increased rate of shiny eggs when breeding with international Pokemon.

Does anyone understand the specifics of this mechanic?

yes. Normally, the rate of finding a Shiny is 1/8192, meaning that it takes a helluva lot of luck to encounter a Shiny in the wild without chaining. Breeding with a foreign Pokemon reduces it by a whopping 75% to 1/2048, which makes it easier to obtain a Shiny through breeding.

I don't understand the reasoning behind it, but its helpful without a doubt ^_^

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Solaceon_Ruins

It says in there. Looks like you have to have the Ruin Maniac's tunnel complete too.

What's a reliable site to get imports of HG/SS off? I'm thinking about getting Japanese ones because I can't wait. or at least getting one in Japanese

I actually have a question of my own at this point.
There was a Platinum update to My Pokemon Ranch that was released about two months after Platinum was in Japan. It's been about three months since Platinum came out in the US. Has anyone heard anything about this update in the US?

Someone actually asked that question on the U.S. Pokemon.com as a mailbag question and recieved this reply:
I'm afraid there are no plans to make My Pokemon Ranch compatible with Pokemon Platinum Version, but we'll let you know if anything changes.
So far they haven't said anything differrent, so I guess that's a no. :p Sucks for me because I'm running out of PC boxes for my platinum pokemon.

P.S. I know that question is REALLY old but I figured I might as well answer it incase anyone was still wondering if they would ever add that update.

Thanks for the reply, though I must say that I actually saw that shortly after they posted it.
I really wish they would make one though, simply because it currently makes me disinclined to do as much on my Platinum and just work on Diamond instead.

Yay for legitimate double posting.

So, I've been playing a lot of Battle Factory lately and I'm hoping someone can help me out on this. Does anyone know the base power of Return in the Battle Factory. I was operating under the assumption that it was the max of 102, but I don't actually know that this is true.