• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask Teh Doc

As far as I know, Combee can be found on any Sweet Honey Tree, regardless of where it is. Unfortunately Combee have like an eight in ten chance of being male so you'll have to be patient. Either that or you can trade for one over wifi. :)

Reaper Cloth: Route 229 or in Turnback Cave (getting one there is a little more complicated)
Shiny Stone: Route 228 and Iron Island and by the Pick-up ability (Pokemon has to be at a very high level though.)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm basically just asking this for anyone who feels like answering. I didn't feel it warranted its own topic.

When Trick Room is in affect, what happens to Choice Scarf? Does it mean you're really slow now?

Also, does the hold item that extends the length of Reflect/Light Screen work for Trick Room? If not, does anything?

That's all. Thanks.

The Light Clay only works for Reflect and Light Screen.

As for the other thing, search me. My guess is you would most likely move last for sure now.

you see i lost my Pokemon pearl i thought i would get something in the net but it was all going to waste. no Pokemon online games its boring

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
you see i lost my Pokemon pearl i thought i would get something in the net but it was all going to waste. no Pokemon online games its boring

And this is a question how...?

Read the rules, please, and make your future posts meaningful >> You've been warned.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
This is a question that's been bugging me for a while: Are Giratina's Origin Forme, Shaymin's Sky Forme and Rotom's multiple formes compatible with Pokemon Battle Revolution? If they aren't, will Nintendo have a patch for Battle Rev. so the Platinum formes would be compatible with the game?

This thought's been nagging at me for a while, and it isn't new-topic worthy XD

If you have a Shiny nincada and you evolve it to ninjask with 5 pokemon in your party, including the nincada, will you get a shiny Shedinja?

I do see why you shouldn't get a shiny Shedinja. EVs, IVs, and Personality values (which, along with the Trainer ID determine whether a Pokemon is shiny or not) all transfer during evolution and Shedinja shouldn't be an exception.

After all, the Pokemon is supposed to form from the abandoned husk of the Nincada, so if the husk is shiny, shouldn't the Shedinja?

[size=5pt]...now I'm just rambling[/size]

ok just a quick few questions ok first i wanna make a trainer card but it says 403 forbidden what does that mean??? then i was wondering if its good to have a ghost and physcic pokemon in party so for me i have alakazam blastoise garchomp snorlax arcanine and i want dusknoir is that a good idea

Replies to both questions:

The trainer Card Maker is down, so it isn't working and therefore, you cannot see it.

Second answer:

It's all down to personal opinion. If you look at it competitively, that's different.

And to get an Umbreon in Firered / Leafgreen, you need to trade an Eevee to either Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald and evolve it there and then trade it back. Only way to get one, since Firered / Leafgreen have no actual sense of night and day, the other Third Generation games are the only path to take to evolve them.

Question. Is it possible to see a shiny patch on the first time you use the poké radar? (As in, you have no current chains going on and you use the radar)

Last edited by a moderator:
Replies to both questions:

The trainer Card Maker is down, so it isn't working and therefore, you cannot see it.

Second answer:

It's all down to personal opinion. If you look at it competitively, that's different.

And to get an Umbreon in Firered / Leafgreen, you need to trade an Eevee to either Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald and evolve it there and then trade it back. Only way to get one, since Firered / Leafgreen have no actual sense of night and day, the other Third Generation games are the only path to take to evolve them.
I see. thank you Jet.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but I can't find it anywhere XD

Do Male Pokemon have slightly increased attack and Females slightly increased defense still in D/P/P, or is there no difference?

I don't think so. The male Pokemon having the higher attack power thing was the case in G/S/C because of something in the coding. After they revamped the whole system for the third gen, this was no longer the case.

I've never heard anything about defense though, but I'm pretty sure there are no differences in the third gen onward though.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Carmen's right - basically, the gender of a Pokemon was decided by its IVs in Defense and Attack. If the Pokemon had a higher IV in Defense, it was female, and if the Defense IV was lower than the Attack IV, then it was male. In effect, it wasn't the gender that determined the stats, it was the stats that determined the gender. This was done due to memory limitations on the Game Boy cartridges for Gold/Silver/Crystal, and since the cartridges for Generations III and IV have more memory, the IVs no longer determine the gender, which is determined entirely separately via a percentage value.

One other thing to note in Gen II is not only did IVs determine gender, they would also determine whether a Pokemon was shiny or not. Once again, for Gen III and IV, shini-ness is determined entirely separately from everything else.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I see. Thanks to both of you. It's been one of those questions that if I hadn't asked, would have bugged me.

Thanks for the extra information as well, KoL ^^

This question has been nagging at me for a while:

Say a Smeargle used Sketch on an Arceus that used judgement. If I attached a Mind Plate to said Smeargle, would Judgement be a psychic type? Or does that only apply to Arceus?

That should work for Smeargle too. The description for Judgement said it was based on the plate held and not on the Pokemon using the attack. Arceus's ability Multitype has nothing to do with Judgement--it only changes Arceus's ability.

The internet keeps giving me conflicting answer on this.
Does Machamp's ability No Guard work for all 4 participants of a double battle, or only for Machamp and those hitting him?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Really sorry if this has already been pointed out before. I figured I'd ask here instead of posting a brand new topic...

Is there an actual, programed damage calculator online anywhere? I have that handy-dandy formula down, but it'd be quicker if I could just input my numbers instead of digging my calculator out.

Speaking of Damage Calculators, you do need to vaguely know the opponents stats. Or just guess at them.

Anywho, my list of recommended calculators:

MetalKid

It's quite useful, since you can either input stats or use EVs and IVs. The damage isn't quite 100% accurate, from what I have heard. It has been said that it's usually is off by a bit. I find this one to be quite reliable. This was my main calculator until I found the one below.

Libelldra

This one I've heard is to be extremely accurate. This is based on stats alone. It has options to also display OHKO and 2HKO chances. And Stealth Rock as well. It doesn't factor in Spikes, but otherwise, this is quite reliable. Just make sure you have raw stats, not IVs and EVs for calculating. Once again, you do need to know the opponents Defensive stats.

I also believe Psypokes and Marrilland have calculators as well. I'm not sure how reliable they are, but there is the option of finding Microsoft Excel files from the Internet and seeing if you can find an Excel Damage calculator. PM if you think you would want to see them.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I have to question the utility of such a program when it requires you to know something that's generally not going to ever be available to you to know... (your opponent's stats)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I have to question the utility of such a program when it requires you to know something that's generally not going to ever be available to you to know... (your opponent's stats)

I'd use it simply to know, by a certain Pokemon's max stats/base stats in their defenses/HP, which ones I could one-hit KO/two-hit KO. Likewise, I'd use it for calculating my own attack stats KOing certain opponents - again by their max stats.

It's really just more intensive maths that only apply to those who want/care to know, lol.

A fairly simple question, in my books anyway.

What exactly happens when you use a traded pokémon in battle?

IE, it gets boosted experience, but I recall, from somewhere anyway, that its hindered elsewhere. A full explanation about the whole thing would be great :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hindered? The only issues I've ever had with traded Pokemon was raising its level too high when I didn't have the right gym badge and it disobeyed me. And that annoying thing about not being able to change the nickname of traded Pokemon. Otherwise I'm not sure how they could be hindered.

By hindered, I read somewhere that a traded pokemon would have less stat growth... I don't have a clue if its true (hence the question :p) but I thought I'd check before I do a mass trade from Diamond to Platinum.

As long as everyone says that all the changes are boosted experience, I'm happy with that :p I'm just suspicious, I doubt the disobeying thing was enough of a counteract to that.

Ooooh, I see what you mean by hindered now. And in that case, I've never heard of anything like that from anyone--my traded Pokemon are just as good as the ones I bred/caught myself.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I did a mass trade from Diamond to Pearl, to start the game with my six favourites. Aside from the annoyance of having no one obey me until I beat the second Gym (which I did this morning), they seem perfectly fine. Their stats are just as good as I'd expect them to be, if not better.

I'll be upset if anyone confirms what you read though XD

I had a question about Confusion and Flatter. If a Pokemon hurts itself out of Confusion, it's based on it's attack stat, right? But since Flatter sharply raises Special Attack, does the damage done when the Pokemon hurts itself in Confusion based off Special Attack instead?

....I hope that made sense

I had a question about Confusion and Flatter. If a Pokemon hurts itself out of Confusion, it's based on it's attack stat, right? But since Flatter sharply raises Special Attack, does the damage done when the Pokemon hurts itself in Confusion based off Special Attack instead?

....I hope that made sense
Answering this as I'm here about to ask a question in a minute :p

Confusion runs off of Attack stat, I believe (seen Swords Dancers have a stronger self harm with Confusion), so I think you're fine with Flatter there.

My question.

Does the item Metronome boost Outrage/Petal Dance/Thrash with each time it's used? (IE, Outrage is selected. Outrage is used. Outrage auto used again, but stronger?)

[quote author=Smogon]
The boost is only applied on multiple selections of a move, not multiple executions. This means that moves that lock the user into the move for multiple turns will not boost for each time the user attacks, only when they select the move again.
[/quote]
Source

So, according to Smogon, no.