• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask Teh Doc

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well, as you are probably well aware, I have Pearl and have had it for about a fortnight now (O_O). So far I've managed to clock up over 50 Hours in the game and STILL haven't beaten the Elite 4.

Not because I suck, because the game is generally just long (and also because you need to put some serious effort and time into keeping up with the levels).

Anyway, some people have been asking me for general questions about the game - things they've been wondering but can't find out for themselves through either not seeing it on any site or from not having the experience of playing the game itself.

So, if you have a question about the games you're wondering about, ask away and I'll try to answer as best I can.

Well since no one has taken your offer up in seriousness, can you fill me in on some of the less crunchy, more fluffy aspects of the game?

How are the sprites animated? Crystal style? or the "stretchy" Emerald style?

Where is the E4 located? right in the middle?

Does the continent seem "northern"?

Is the music any different? or just more remixes?

I always like to know how a game "feels". It can be a big selling point for me.

ok I need one important thing to be answered that you were starting to talk to me about.(I think)You said the battle tower sets your level to 50 or 100 automatically. So what level do you have to be to get into a 100, over 50? and if you're not lv. 100 and say your lv 64 that pokemon still has it's same level stats right?

Does the appearance of a Minomuchi depend on where it's hatched?

No it depends on where it faints. If it faints in a building it'll be pink, in a cave it'll be yellow and in grass it'll be green then if you decide to evolve to a minomadam it's get an additional type green bug/grass, yellow bug/rock and pink bug/steel (sorry Oak I know this is your topic)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
How are the sprites animated? Crystal style? or the "stretchy" Emerald style?

Emerald style, but they do look, on the whole, better.

[quote author=Meangreen link=topic=1251.msg8296#msg8296 date=1161253734]
where is the E4 located? right in the middle?[/quote]

The Elite 4 is in the far west of Shino on their own island, you can see them and all the other locations by hovering your mouse over this map:

[flash=458,348]http://www.pokecharms.com/shinomap.swf[/flash]

Does the continent seem "northern"?[/quote]

Well, it does rain and snow quite a bit. The terrain is also pretty rough and rugged too, a lot of mountainous areas and quite a bit of muddy marshy areas too. Pretty much makes like Hoenn look like a Summer Resort.

Is the music any different? or just more remixes?
[/quote]

The music sounds great - some of it is remixed but that's always good too IMO. Judge for yourself though with these midis of the theme, Game Corner and a few random battle themes attatched.

[attachment deleted by admin]

No it depends on where it faints. If it faints in a building it'll be pink, in a cave it'll be yellow and in grass it'll be green then if you decide to evolve to a minomadam it's get an additional type green bug/grass, yellow bug/rock and pink bug/steel (sorry Oak I know this is your topic)

Um, let me rephrase my question in the following scenario: Say you breed a Garmale with a pink Minomadam. The egg hatches while you're in a cave. What will the newly hatched Minomutchi look like?

Um, let me rephrase my question in the following scenario: Say you breed a Garmale with a pink Minomadam. The egg hatches while you're in a cave. What will the newly hatched Minomutchi look like?

I'm not 100% sure but I'm almost positive it'll just go back to a regular minomutchi. Oak what about my question............ -_-; *tumble weed rolls by

The Elite 4 is in the far west of Shino on their own island,

The music sounds great - some of it is remixed but that's always good too IMO. Judge for yourself though with these midis of the theme, Game Corner and a few random battle themes attatched.

Aww, another "faraway island" league. I was hoping for some high altitude, mountaintop thrashing action. Just imagine the victory road up that sucker.

Cheers for the midi's Doc, that battle theme two sounds slinky like a spring, and are those some synth/electric guitar sounds? too cool!

*lays any lingering apprehensions to rest*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Yo, Doctor Sir.

We were having a little rant in the Charms chat the other day about supposedly being unable to restart in D/P. After taking a quick looky, I found a quote that said you can delete your game file by pressing "UP + B + SELECT at main title menu. Then select the top option to both questions." (Quote from some random website)

Can you confirm this? (Just don't accidently restart your game XP)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
ok I need one important thing to be answered that you were starting to talk to me about.(I think)You said the battle tower sets your level to 50 or 100 automatically. So what level do you have to be to get into a 100, over 50? and if you're not lv. 100 and say your lv 64 that pokemon still has it's same level stats right?

I haven't been able to test it out, but I believe you can choose whether to be battling at level 50 or level 100 (A choice you and your opponent will agree on). Your stats are recalculated to match either level 50 or 100.

I'll confirm this better when/if I get a chance to try it out.

[quote author=David Da Bomb link=topic=1251.msg8316#msg8316 date=1161304785]
[/quote]

Pretty certain all Minomucchis hatch as a regular one. I haven't caught one to try it out yet - 'cause the honey on trees thing is a severe pain in the goddamn ass - but I'll try hunting one down and give it a go in the near future.

[quote author=Seviper link=topic=1251.msg8380#msg8380 date=1161552113]
Wait how do u guys have diamond and pearl. It's not out yet where I live :'(!
[/quote]

I imported over TEH INTARWEBZ :O

[quote author=Linkachu link=topic=1251.msg8471#msg8471 date=1161785530]
Yo, Doctor Sir.

We were having a little rant in the Charms chat the other day about supposedly being unable to restart in D/P. After taking a quick looky, I found a quote that said you can delete your game file by pressing "UP + B + SELECT at main title menu. Then select the top option to both questions." (Quote from some random website)

Can you confirm this? (Just don't accidently restart your game XP)
[/quote]

I actually knew about this a day or two after we talked about this. In fact, it says it in the manual right at the back (In inpenetrable Japanese of course). The only problem is, you will ALWAYS have the New Game option available, whether you've done this code or not. So people have found themselves starting a new game and getting hours into it before realising they can't save...

Could be semi-useful though, means friends/siblings/etc can play from the start but not save over your file.

Well until you find a female Minomutchi, I have another question. I believe I heard Joe Serebii (or was it Coronis?) say that if Mew or Ditto get KO'd after using Transform, they still know the moves of the Pokemon they transformed into until the next time they're sent out into battle. Is this true?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Yes. Though we don't know if it's a glitch or deliberate. If it's a glitch, I wouldn't hold out much hope for being able to do it in English.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It does make breeding easier. Doesn't mean they intended it. It isn't, afterall, an advertised feature. It was just something someone discovered.

Yes. Though we don't know if it's a glitch or deliberate. If it's a glitch, I wouldn't hold out much hope for being able to do it in English.

Dang it! \ _ /*

*IS MAD*

I'm sure they'll fix it when the American/European versions come out...I can't believe...man...I wish nobody figured out about it so that they wouldn't catch it or fix it... :'( ...A glitch like that would help me a TON in breeding...but Smeargle's almost as good as that glitch, 'cept you can't just decide you want to get rid of the newly sketched move and get a new one after you're done with it, sort of like what transforming on Japanese D/P can do...

~wad11656/americanoob~

This topic doesn't seem too dead...

All of this has to do with leveling up. What are the levels of the trainer like? In R/S/E they seemed a little weak and made leveling up Pokemon difficult. And does the game use a trainers eyes or Vs seeker type thing to rechallenge trainers and gym leaders? Are there any strong wild Pokemon. Once again R/S/E were a little shot on them.

All in all, how easy is to level up in-game? ???

Personally, I think the trainers aren't enough. I got whipped by Mars the first time 'round, so I had to do a bit of wild Pokemon whipping to level up. I seemed pretty okay-ish against the second gym leader, though I think I was a level or two behind.

So at least in the beginning...the trainers aren't enough, really. You really do need to train in the wild...although they do have some "strong" Pokemon. Of course, I'm only speaking of the game up to the second gym battle...so I dunno if that's a good enough opinion. ^_^

And I'm not Teh D0ct0rz. -_-

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
From what baratron and Oak have said, the leveling up doesn't get any easier. You'll generally find that you're a few levels below what you need to be, even if you fight every trainer you possibly can.

This information annoys me quite a bit because I find leveling up against wild Pokemon slow and boring. It's hard to find good locations that'll give you a decent amount of EXP =/ But eh... I'll deal.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
People can attest as witnesses to the fact that I had to spend two weeks (on and off) levelling up in order to take on the Elite 4 - I was just WAAAY too far behind them in levels.

It is genuinely tough to level up in these games, not necessarily a big problem for multiplayer play (since your levels are always rounded up now) but in-game, it does become a bit of a grind later in the game.

My best advice is probably to get a friend to train your team for a day or two and do the same for them in return. The EXP boost should be enough to cut the amount of time you have to spend levelling up to get anywhere and thus alleviate some of the problems with it.

Either that or buy an Action Replay and Rare Candy your Pokemon to buggery. One or the other.

i have a question, doc:
if you've traded pokemon from the 3rd gen, do their abilities change?what about their stats/EV's?

Pardon me for answering this doc, I know I'm new here but I can't help myself.

When you transfer Pokes from the 3rd gen, their abilities do not change, and neither do their stats or EVs. You'll get the same exact Poke'mon you had on the other game. That's why I'm EV training most of my Wi-Fi team right now.

Oh, and more on topic:
Heya Doc, can you get more than one Sharp Claw in the game? I need to know because I train Sneasels so they can become uber-cool Weaviles.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
If you can't get more than one Sharp Claw (I can't say I even remember HOW I got my Sharp Claw to evolve my own Sneasel in the first place), then more than likely you can get another one through Battle Revolution - which seems to have all the other evolutionary related items (other than the Electro and Magma Boosters) available to purchase and download to D/P.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Yes. Though you cannot obtain the new evolutions until after you have obtained the National Dex (and gotten your hands on the Pokemon to evolve, of course), and there are of course some version exclusives.

You will still need to trade or in some way use another game to get your hands on all the Pokemon, as usual.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
What will happen if you do not catch all the pokemon at pal park in the required ammount of time?
&
What are the requirements for the National Dex

I'm not even sure you can leave the park without having caught all the transferred Pokemon. If you can, I imagine you probably can't transfer any more in until you've caught them all. It's not a big deal really, the Pal Park balls are all Master Balls essentially - 100% capture rate.

To get the National Dex, alls you have to do is see all the Pokemon in the Sinnoh Dex - something you will do anyway simply by playing through the game, though you will more than likely have to beat the Elite 4 to see them all without a bit of trading/training.

Essentially, beating the Elite 4 and fighting the majority of the trainers you meet (pretty much essential anyway, the game is a BITCH to level up in, you'll need whatever exp you can get to beat the Elite 4 in the first place) should give you the National Dex by the end of it anyway.

Can you obtain stones (Water stones, etc.) from previous generations in-game without having to transfer them over via Pal Park as a held item? Also, can you evolve Poke'mon from previous generations with stones in D/P?

For example, could you evolve Lombre into Ludicolo using a Water Stone

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The elemental stones are all found in the Underground.

And, yes, of course you can evolve transferred Pokemon. What would make you think you couldn't?

I'm a bit confused and paranoid about the Underground. Do you need wi-fi for people to appear in the Underground. I see people talking about Wi-fi but I don't have the slightest idea of how to use it or even what it is. Or do in-game people appear in the Underground.

I hope it's nothing like the Union Room. I don't know anyone who play Pokemon games besides myself. This time I don't have to game consoules to battle/trade with myself. It would be a total let down if you need wi-fi or something like that.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The Underground doesn't use WiFi, it's local link-up only. Though you can still head into the underground and play the Minesweeper like mini-game to get free stuff like the stones, fossils and gems you can trade with the Hikers down there for items and stuff.

You WILL need to link up with someone who has another DS and the game to play the capture the flag mini-game down there though. But it's of no massive importance and you wont be missing out by not using it. Though it would be nice if that were included for WiFi use.

The Union Rooms in the game are used for group WiFi use.

WiFi = Online, by the way. If you need further explanation, Nintendo's official site does it all better than I could at half 3 in the morning: http://www.nintendowifi.com