• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Official Pokémon X and Y Discussion (All Spoilers Welcome!)

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
So, as shown in the news, we've just had Pokémon X and Y revealed for the 3DS - so here's our official "OMG POKEYMANS" thread.

I'll start: OMG POKEYMANS IN THREE DEE IT'S SO PRETTY YAY.

*cough* Okay, now that's done with, time for some serious discussion: What do you think of the new Pokémon? What types do you think the starter's final forms will end up being? What was your favourite part about the trailer?

Edit October 4th: In addition to our previous X&Y discussions, feel free to discuss all leaked images and information within this topic! Just please be respectful of others who are trying to avoid spoilers and only post such info here, or use spoiler tags when posting elsewhere. Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Re: The Official Pokémon X and Y/Gen VI Discussion

Throwing money at it, not getting it. Want it now. D:<

*ahem*

I'm actually really really happy with that announcement. The games are looking good already, but they still have quite awhile to polish the things off before we get a hold of them, so I can't wait to see the end result (not to mention we've seen the death of Sprites in battle). Not too keen on the names right now, but maybe they'll grow on me as I get used to them.

Really like the starters so far. The water is my least favourite, and Chespin is a relation of Oshawott, but I love them all. The fire fox thing has been done before, so I suspect Fennekin is going to be a cat and not being a cat person I'm trying to think of it more as a fox so as to properly take to it. They're cute though. ♥

The bird and deer disappointed me the most if I'm honest. We had deer last generation and we always seem to have birds in the uber line-up, so I wish they'd gone for something different, but I might change my mind depending on what the story behind the two is.

Either way I'm excited. :D

I'm liking it so far. Looks like character customisation could be in it. Also I'm calling the final forms Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic and Water/Flying. Chespin looks slightly evil though :|

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four

As much as I love what I'm seeing so far, I still feel like this is way, way too early for a new Generation to be starting. I understand wanting to get to the 3DS as soon as possible, but I feel like there is so much more that could have been done with Gen V before continuing.

I'm not saying I'm disappointment, I'm not I'm really excited for this and now find myself looking forward to October, I just think Game Freak could have done more with what they already had. For example, there was no Wii U game for Gen V making this Gen the only one without a consol port.

I guess that just leaves me ten months to play the crap out of White2 until I can't do anything else with it.

Also, did anyone besides me think of the Forest Spirit from Princess Mononoke when they saw what I am assuming to be the version mascot of X?
images

Screenshot_08_01_2013_12_06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

That deer has Christmas lights :x

I'm not too overly fond of any of the starters, which is a first for me. And unless they're total douches, I can't see the Fire starter eventually having Fighting-typing, as Grass one seems to be heading for that direction. Fire might end up with Psychic as wishful thinking, but pure Fire seems likely. Water will probably end up with maybe Poison.

Full 3D is lovely, and if the customization thing is true, then these are the best things to happen to Pokemon in a nice long while. I'm excited to see what other neat features XY brings to the table.

Shocari said:
That deer has Christmas lights :x
Its like a ready-made christmas reindeer, awesome.

Newsflash: I'm still in love with the fire starter ♥ MORE than makes up for the bacon we got last round. I just feel the need to say this twice.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member

If the Fire-type starter evolves into a kung fu Fire/Fighting fox I'm flying to Game Freak's HQ and bricking their windows with combustible bricks that burn their houses down.

That said, the Fire-type definitely wins design-wise over the other two starters. The Grass-type starter just looks bland to me and the frog is too similar to the Seismitoad line for me, and that line was from this generation too.

Also, I prefer the deer to the bird/dragon/Cthulhu monster thing. It looks like they might be trying for an Earth/Sky thing with these two, since deer are quite closely associated with nature, and the bird/dragon/Cthulhu monster thing reminds me a bit of Rayquaza (somehow) who was closely associated with the sky.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader

The excessive use of light-blue and white in Froakie's color scheme makes me think it might end up being Water/Ice. Which would actually be really interesting for a Frog-based Pokemon.

I'm really hoping Fennekin turns out to be Fire/Psychic. It has a lot of potential, and does not seem to be able to turn out part Fighting...I hope.

I think Chespin might be my favorite, solely because I dislike this design less than the designs of the other two (for some reason I don't really care for any of their designs right now). I'm hoping it turns out to be Grass/Fighting.

I personally favor Chespin, although Fennekin is a close second. Froakie...that DOES look too much like the Tympole line, so I'm doubtful. I'll have to see if Froakie's evolutions look like Seismitoad at all.I do believe Chespins, evolutions will gain the Fighting type, whereas Froakie's will acquire the Ice type. As for Fennekin obtaining the Psychic type, I'm not sure about that yet, but I'm hoping.

As for the legendaries, I'm doubtful about them appearance-wise. I believe that the Earth and Sky theory is the best, although I'm not certain. I'm more skeptical of the Y legendary than the X, though.

The theory about customization is not so doubtful, as I saw in a video that they showed the Trainer with glasses on top of his hat, then showed him later without the glasses.

Welp, I'm thrilled. I like all the starters, honestly.

I agree a bit with Psycho, though -- this seems really quick! I'm a bit saddened by the lack of a Gen III remake...but that fox almost makes up for it.

Chespin, I CHOOSE YOU! *shot* seriously though, I really love it. It reminds me of Oshawott in a way, and I hope that it will sort of become like Samurott (not saying I want a clone, I just want something badass). The other two...I dunno.

As far as future secondary types, I'm going to say Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic (though I really think it would do better as part ghost), and Water/Fighting, simply because of the secondary moves they used. But watch them make Fennikin part fighting. Ohhhh boy. I'd LOVE to see them try that :p

The legendaries? Badass. I don't care if some of you think they are poorly designed, I think they have the most unique designs I've seen in a LONG time, and almost look otherworldly, perhaps even spirit like. Perhaps they represent some sort of native spirits? Perhaps some sort of representation of life and death? I don't know, but I can't wait to find out more about them. PLUS, they can't possibly be BOTH dragon types. Seriously, that's another trend that needs to slow down for a bit.

Now then, I don't know if you guys think this too, but I think we're guaranteed to have a Psychic and Grass and/or Bug type gym, and possibly Fire as a gym or E4, judging from various scenes in the trailer.

As far as what Pokemon I want, I would really like some sort of fighting wolf or some sort of ice wolf. Also, I want a new evolution mechanic of some sort, and hopefully a new Eeveelution.

Now then, the bad guys... Please, no PETA members or eco terrorists... I would love to have a Team Rocket esque team mixed with Team Galactic's motive. Basically, a ruthless team that doesn't try and disguise their motives with trying to save Pokemon or helping humans. As a matter of fact, maybe make them pure evil, or like an evil cult of some sort (perhaps cult is a little far?). However, I do think that they should add in that same twistedness that TR had in RBY and that TP had later on, along with, again, TG's sick motives. I'll be happy to kick their asses either way though.

For once I liked all three starters as soon as I saw them. In the past generations, at least one had to grow on me and some I never liked.

I'm so excited to see what the new region will be based on,but not nearly as excited as I am about HOENN IN 3D. They certainly have a lot to work with. Personally I'd like to see a city that's a technological paradise akin to La Rousse City in the movies. Geographically, I'd like to see them actually incorporate a river delta/estuary because that's the only thing I think we've never actually seen in the Pokemon world. Well, never explored. They had one in Hoenn but it was blocked off.

As far as villainous teams go...I really don't know. Team Plasma were probably the best villains I've ever seen in a Pokemon game. N's motives actually made sense on some level back in Black and White and that's what made it so dangerous. When you talked to the NPCs, they actually bought into it. It's easy to note that the guy who wants to create a universe in his own image is a loony or that the Pokemon poacher is a bad dude, but when the villainous team makes a little sense? That's pretty scary for me. I'd like to see the XY team continue on that track.

Well, we've had a plain bad guy team, two teams in the same generation that found over land and sea, a group based on the future(space theme), and a group based on the past(knights, sages, castles, and a king), So in this, we might get a team based on the present. Either that, or we will get a naturalistic team, as the legendaries suggest Sky and Earth.

Also, I wonder what they will do for the name of the region. Will they stick to the tradition of having an "o" in the name, or break it? I'm very curious about this.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

For anyone who's interested, Bulbapedia has broken down the new starter Pokemon's English and Japanese names.

Chespin is a combination of chestnut and pin. It may also be from chinkapin, the name of some species of chestnut.

Harimaron is a combination of 蝟 harinezumi (hedgehog), 針 hari (needle), and marron (French for chestnut).
Fennekin may be a combination of fennec and kindle.

Fokko may be a combination of fox, 狐 ko (fox), and 子 ko (child).
Froakie may be a combination of frog and croak.

Keromatsu is a combination ケロケロ kerokero (onomatopoeia for a frog's croaking) and 沫 matsu (bubble or foam) or 飛沫 himatsu (spray or splash).

Nothing too surprising, but I'm curious to see where they'll take Chespin's evolutions. A large ground squirrel-ish critter with a spiky, hedgehog-ish helmet maybe? XD

I can't stop rewatching that gameplay trailer. More info and videos plzkthx!

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'm really, really hopeful as far as X and Y are concerned. Not only do I actually like the look of all three base Starters, but I actually like the Legendary Pokemon. I usually really don't like them, but Xerneas and Yveltal look awesome. Their names do make me kind of think there is something to the whole 'They're based on Norse Mythology' theory that's floating around, although Xerneas reminds me of a certain Persian God-King xD Whatever they turn out to be based on, I like 'em :D

I just hope Fennekin turns into some epic fox of doom ♥ I can't wait to see more footage of the game and battle scenes... and as I've liked all the revealed Pokemon to some extent so far I'm really looking forward to seeing what else they've got in store for us to catch :D

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I personally want to see Chespin evolve into something like this:

Chespin.jpg

It'd make up for him being so bland in his base form.

I think the speculation on the Starters' secondary types being based solely on moves they used is a bit ridiculous.

"Fennekin used a Psychic move! It must become Psychic!" Well, I don't know if anyone remembers, but Ninetales can use Psychic and is a pure Fire-type. Also, Psychic is learned /mostly/ by non-Psychic-typed Pokemon.

As for Chespin, Faint Attack is, again, a rather common move.

I can't even tell what that second attack is that Croakie used.

But yeah, basing a secondary typing for a Pokemon purely because it can use a move of that type is just silly.

I know that I've already posted in here once, but have we even begun to think about the rival? Well, knowing Game Freak as of late, we'll probably get our best friend to be our rival, as usual since DPPt. HOWEVER, if I had to choose between them, I would love a combination of Hugh, Silver, Blue, and Cheren: A cold, calculating jackass that is constantly ahead of you, knows more than most people, though he has something he is fighting for (like Hugh for his sister's Pokemon) and won't let anything stand in his way.

However, another aspect I'd like to explore is the brotherly rivalry. We've had best friends, rivals since birth, total jerks, and a friendly rivalry, but a sibling rivalry? I think we could work with something there.

Whatever they decide to do, I hope that we have two rivals like in BW, if not a third one like Wally, but more challenging.

Speaking of challenge, I hope they keep the hole difficulty settings that were introduced in BW2, but give it to us from the get-go. I think I could handle going Challenge Mode this time around.

It does feel a little soon for the next gen, but the 3DS has been out for a while and it's about time for a pokemon game for it. I admit, I kind of still nurse a hope for a 3DS remake of ruby and sapphire but it sounds like that will be unlikely.

Doubled said:
I would love a combination of Hugh, Silver, Blue, and Cheren: A cold, calculating jackass that is constantly ahead of you, knows more than most people, though he has something he is fighting for (like Hugh for his sister's Pokemon) and won't let anything stand in his way.
I'd like to see a competent, confident female rival in this vein-- although I'm not sure I'll be able to weather the inevitable cries of "ERMERGERD SHE SUCH A B WORD" from all the kiddies (and older people who should know better).

Keleri said:
I'd like to see a competent, confident female rival in this vein-- although I'm not sure I'll be able to weather the inevitable cries of "ERMERGERD SHE SUCH A B WORD" from all the kiddies (and older people who should know better).

Yeah, I didn't like how, in BW, people kept on referring to Bianca as a weak trainer and that she has very little confidence (personally, I found her more difficult to defeat than Cheren). We've only had one female rival, and she was constantly belittled. A formidable female rival would be much more interesting.

Of course, they could do for rivals what they did for protagonists and allowed the player to choose the gender.

Sme things I'd like to point out from the trailer
tumblr_mgb579NBXb1qd0355o4_r1_250.gif

So we can safely assume one of the Gym Leaders is a Bug Trainer. Either that or this is some kind of swanky dungeon (I sincerely hope it's the latter)
tumblr_mgb579NBXb1qd0355o2_r1_250.gif

Skipping over the Pikachu encunter, that new Gym Puzzle puts Elesa's Neon Roller Coaster to shame! But I wonder if this is indeed an Electric Gym? (Is it even a Gym at all? It has the Unova Gym logo so I assume so)
tumblr_mgb579NBXb1qd0355o1_250.gif

Also, this is probably a coincidence, but the girl following the male Player looks a lot like Mei/Rosa. (Wouldn't it be cool if you could actually outrun AI Pokemon trainers who want to battle you though?)​

Magpie said:
Another theory that seems to be floating around. Soooo many theories~

I don't agree with some of the evidence this theory presents. Reshiram and Zekrom's types weren't revealed immediately, for instance. That said, I can't really imagine what these legendaries' types would be.

I believe they represent Chaos and Order. Aside from their colour scheme, I just immediately got that impression from how they were presented in the trailer. Yvetal is flying around and screeching, while Xerneas calmly stamps its foot down while looking serenely at the viewer.

Well the starters all start off with just their base type which comes to no shock as Bulbasaur is the only starter that had dual typing before evolution (this was a gen that plonked a type on pretty much every grass type). Also I doubt new types will be brought in.

I don't think we'll have any new types anytime soon. Dark and Steel were introduced to balance the ridiculously overpowered creations that were Psychic and Dragon. While arguments could be made for Sound and Light existing, it's complete and utter nonsense from a battling standpoint.

Personally, I'd like to think that Xerneas and Yveltal stand for Hope and Fear, respectively. Looking at Xerneas, it's calm demeanor and pleasant display of Christmas spirit represent hope - a ray of light in a sea of shadows. Yveltal has a very awe-inspiring and menacing appearance, not to mention the color scheme of reds and blacks usually ends up on a character whose image instantly sends shivers down your spine(Darth Maul is a very good example).

Also, a Hope/Fear dynamic could work very well in regards to the evil team. They can use Fear to try and make everyone bow in submission, or use Hope to make people believe that what they are doing is right. However, Order and Chaos would make a remarkably similar impact, so I'd say that either one is possible.

Regardless of gender chosen by the player, I'd like the rival to be a female. We are long overdue one by this point. I also really hope the mirror in the trailer is related to customization of the player character. I can name a few examples of when something like a wardrobe/dresser/closet/whatever was used so the player can change their appearance, so a mirror wouldn't be too far off from that. It doesn't have to be a huge thing either, because something as simplistic as in PBR would be fine by me.

Character customisation would be nice, but I'm honestly doubting it. As for a female rival hopefully the pull it off better than Belle. We need a tsundere that don't take no bullshit from anyone

Rileyixx said:
Character customisation would be nice, but I'm honestly doubting it. As for a female rival hopefully the pull it off better than Belle. We need a tsundere that don't take no bullshit from anyone
I believe there is a glitch in the trailer where the male character's glasses are left behind when he swings on the vine, which indicates customisation. I think the mirror at the start is used at the beginning of the game when the player is in their room, so maybe we can customise our character at the start?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Rileyixx said:
We need a tsundere that don't take no bullshit from anyone
We do not want a tsundere female rival. One of the amazing things about Cynthia, for example, was that she was done right - she was a champion that just happened to be female, she wasn't defined by it. A female rival would ideally be a capable and smart individual (because we need rivals who aren't completely useless - I am looking at you Hugh >>;), but really, she just has to be not... well, not Bianca.

I wonder what kind of professor we'll get this time around too. I really hope that they take a step up from the previous prof's and maybe make the professor a gym leader or perhaps a champion. Or they should at least make them have a bigger part of the story.

Bah. I would like the game, but I'm too short on cash now. I need to find another job before I can get a new system and one of the games.

As for the generation itself, I'm all "Yay!" I do believe it was time to jump to something larger and greater and more global, in more ways than one. France has some great architecture and I would love to see that in some of the towns in game.

since Unova was like the new Kanto, i think this new region is the parallel gen II. With that said. Xerneas looks like mama Virizion and may be the leader of the Muskateer quartet, the same as lugia led the legendary birds. The way i see it, Yveltal may have a hand in the creation of some legndaries, as Ho-oh did.

I highly doubt it.

Cobalion was the leader of the Musketeers, and was even defined as such in-game. Xerneas, while certainly similar to Cobalion and Virizion, is most likely not even related to them in terms of Legendary mythos. If Yveltal /does/ create any Legendaries, they're probably going to be introduced in Gen VI. But I don't think it's likely that Yveltal does so.

Yveltal may have a reason to do so. Yveltal looks pretty evil, so maybe his creations are evil as well and spread their badness all over the new region.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Looking over the Cryptidex board just makes me realize how little information we currently have on the X&Y Pokemon. No Pokedex classifications and we still don't even know which types the two legendaries are. Sylveon is just a blatant seekrit and doesn't count, but I'd love to know what Xerneas and Yveltal are.

I'm also dying to hear more about the actual gameplay of X&Y. During interviews it's been mentioned that playing these new games will feel as if your friends around the world are always with you. Rational people are taking this mean that we'll be getting a WiFi-based C-Gear experience or something very similar. Personally that would be more than enough to make me happy so I'm hoping that it's true. I've always wanted an online Entralink and it'd be nifty if they allowed us to trade with friends - both online and offline - anywhere. It'd definitely make things feel less restrictive and more fun (for players like me at least).

Need more news. Want more news. ;_;

There's also been some weird rumor, which is probably as fake as Shadow the Hedgehog (yes, this is a faker joke), that says that players could be able to travel to the past of the new region, which would give them access to different locations and Pokemon, and also allow for certain parts of the present (or future) to be changed. While we're at it, whoever made this rumor also claims that the new evil team will be called Team Gear.

Like I said, probably fake, but you have to admit, the thought of time travel as a major part of the game (and not just that one segment in HGSS)sounds pretty cool. However, being able to change the present... I don't know if Game Freak would go that deep into a mechanic like that. They tend to try and stay simplistic with plot elements or new gimmicks, and being able to change the present just doesn't seem their style. Plus the fact that they had 2 opportunities (Celebi and Dialga) to use time travel (in a main game, anyway, not Mystery Dungeon) as a main part of the game, and they didn't take the bait.

Still though, interesting theory, especially given that one deserty themed place with the metal pod thingies and that statue with what appeared to be a knight.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Who knows if the list has any bearing on reality (though I can definitely buy the direction that they're indicating for the starters), but there is one aspect of it that will almost certainly come to pass at least. It seems safe to assume that this Generation will be, as Gen IV was before it, focused on padding out the evolutionary lines of previous generations. The fact the first non 'title character' Pokemon to be announced is another Eevee evolution is a pretty massive sign towards that, as is the fact that older generations are being featured at all despite the success they enjoyed by segregating them in B/W.

What we'll probably see from now on is a similar pattern to this, where one generation will focus entirely on new Pokemon, while the next will come along and focus on expanding previous lines.

But I wouldn't really expect this list to be any indication of what we will or won't get.