• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Announcing the Summer 2009 Pokecharms UK Pokemon Tournament

Hey Oak, nice to see your hosting such an event, I am very pleased you're doing this. This was something I wanted to host sometime in the next year but have not had the time lately to plan out.

This sounds great overall! Level 50 will make it open to not just competetive but even non competetive battlers.

Evangelion and Seiryuu are both members from my website, I noticed they informed us about it. I'd love to help out as well participating and hack checking as I spend too much time checking anyways.

Although it is not an easy task getting to manchester, I will see what I can do. Sunday though is a VERY bad day for anybody coming in on public transport as it goes at worse times then a saturday making things harder to get there. (Also costing £82.00 my end to get there on a sunday plus waiting over 90 minutes for another change).

I think the host of it is fine, I just am a bit unsure on the date for anybody else getting a train. Trains usually like to do maintenance work on a sunday providing difficulties for anybody getting there.

But apart from my predicament this sounds fantastic and if I cannot attend I do wish you the best of luck! :)

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Well, on further thought, I'm definitely interested, but the logistics of it are really hard for me - I live on the other side of the country, so getting to Manchester takes a lot of time and more money than I really have. Additionally, the end of May/start of June is also my exam season, so as much as I'd love to come, I'd probably have to wait for the London tourney, if there ever is one.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Sunday though is a VERY bad day for anybody coming in on public transport

Unfortunately, due to Gamerbase hosting both a SFIV and CoD4 tournament on saturdays, our only options are Sundays or the middle of the week - which I'm sure is even more unworkable for people.

For those travelling quite a distance, I can only recommend seeing if there's anyway of sharing the cost. Otherwise, it'd probably be best just to wait and see if we can get a London one going.

Incidentally, if you wish to avoid using the train - National Express coaches run through Manchester fairly regularly from all over the country and the coach station is just about a 10 minute walk away from Gamerbase. If you book early enough, you can also get a ticket for as little as £1. The only real issue is that London to Manchester is easily a 6hr+ trip both ways. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if you made it with friends and made a whole day out of it - but I guess that's all up to you guys. The event wouldn't run too late - depending on when we start, about 3/4 at the latest - so you could still make it home at a fairly decent hour too.

But, yeah, that's really all I can give to help there.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I'll be driving from Kent, so anyone en route that doesn't mind being in a car with a smoker is welcome to come for the ride.

Just to point out we have a volunteer for helping to bring people up... And anyone coming by coach or train, if you're between 18 and 25 I believe coach/railcards are available for not much money to make the journey 1/3 cheaper.

Oh no :'( I can't believe this is finally happening, I waited for something like this for ages but its exactly in the middle of my whole A-level exam session. I feel so bad that I won't be able to attend due to my exams and also because I live far away from Manchester(near London) which wouldn't be an issue if I didn't have exams.

Oh well, what can I do, hopefully there will be a London one which I can participate in.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
As the above poster mentioned, would there be an age limit? I'm 20 and my friends (if they can make it) would also be of roughly the same age (18-20) so I hope this isn't a problem.

If we set an age limit below 18, we'd be banning the majority of our staff members - and casual members - from participating ;) Tournaments putting an age limit on participants really can be cruel, though. I've seen some Toronto-based tourneys blocking anyone over the age of 16 or so, and by 2002 I was already well beyond that limit...

But on another note - I'm really happy to see all this interest already, and I hope everything turns out as planned. :)

Well, I will probably be in this, although I live near London so it will be a long travel. I'll have to get permission from my mama and papa first. I'll probably be eliminated in the first round, but I've never been to a pokemon tournament like this before ^^.
Also, are we allowed PoKeRuS? Most of my good pokemon have it...

Yes, I'd imagine so as PokéRus doesn't really make any difference in-battle, it just allows you to EV train quicker.

Well, this sounds good. I'll start working on a team now, it's a unique challenge to have to come up with a team of six that can be split into a team of three at any given time. But I'll give it a shot. I agree that you have to cater for the more casual players, but this does add even more of a "pot-luck" aspect to the team selection process. Should be fine though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Smogon mod expressing their interest. I only live just outside Manchester so its no problem for me to get to this. Its about time the UK had some tourneys. Kudos for organising this.

Well id gladly enter this - i only live in derbyshire so its not too much of a treck.

The whole of my site know about it too so you might get a few from there.

Just a few questions:
Where in Manchester will it be?

Can you pay on the door or is it pre booked?

Also do you allow platinum moves (from the move tutor)?

Id love to get more info on this and im extremely curious as to when, what rules and where. Just be warned for anyone who enters - dont let your guard down or underestimate anyone nor should you be too cocky.

Please use Official Nintendo Tournament rules or more common competitive rules if possible.

Havak is right to an extent (one of the best in the UK in my opinion).

Hm.. Difficult I see. It takes me 6 hours via bus. =|

May I suggest doing it in August? This is a key time I know that people go on holiday about that time but late august everybody is back getting ready to start a new term. 20th-28th august is a great time on weekdays.

This is merely a suggestion. I feel May/June is bad for 1/3 of those to enter because of exams. Whilst about 1/8th have expressed travel concerns.

Besides, I'd definately would then make two days out of it. I'd even allow a few peeps to share the cost of a travel lodge or something if they're coming from afar.

Anyways if this does happen im 30% ish sure id be going. Depends on Evangelion if he can give me a lift or if my parents are feeling generous. Very generous. :p

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Havak is right to an extent (one of the best in the UK in my opinion).

Hm.. Difficult I see. It takes me 6 hours via bus. =|

May I suggest doing it in August? This is a key time I know that people go on holiday about that time but late august everybody is back getting ready to start a new term. 20th-28th august is a great time on weekdays.

This is merely a suggestion. I feel May/June is bad for 1/3 of those to enter because of exams. Whilst about 1/8th have expressed travel concerns.

Besides, I'd definately would then make two days out of it. I'd even allow a few peeps to share the cost of a travel lodge or something if they're coming from afar.

Anyways if this does happen im 30% ish sure id be going. Depends on Evangelion if he can give me a lift or if my parents are feeling generous. Very generous. :p

The start of the summer is best for us for this instance. If there's a London tourney, it'll probably be later in the summer.

I just signed up to let you know that I'm interested in entering, but I live in the South-East, so it'll be difficult.

Late August would be the best time for those of us with GCSEs to do ^_^
Cheers for someone finally organising a UK Pokémon Tourney :D

Oh yeah, just for a bit of insight into me, I'm an administrator of pokemonworld.co.uk (we're not the magazine, my friend just stole the name....unoriginal name, I know >>).

I'm thinking, because to get there from Cambridge I'd have to go by train...

This is an ace idea! Signed up to say that I'm interested and can get there, and will be bringing several friends as well. We do have A levels around that time, but hey, one day off revision won't kill us.

Registering my interest here too - I'll possibly be travelling up from London to attend the tournament. I'd also like to see the lvl 50 & double-battle format from the official tournaments implemented here.

Hey registered to tell you how much I want to take part! Will there be a limited number of places? I know three or four people who would come along!

Man this is as exciting as the stadium release UK tourney way back in the day. I couldn't make that but I'm psyched for this one!

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Probably should have posted in here earlier, although I've already said in the chat I'd be glad to take part, and can provide a Wii and a copy of PBR for the event as well.

aw man i'd really like to take part in this
i'd love to show the guys at pokecharms my skillful team (come a long way, i already beat dahlia of the battle arcade)

but my parents wouldnt even drive me to the us one the only way i can take part in this is if i get on my flippers and START SWIMMIN!

Being from Crewe, I may come along to this, even if its just moral support for any people I know that attend. Entry will depend if I have a decent team closer to the team :)

registered on the site just to say i'd be interested too, its about time there was an event like this in the UK, first shaymin, now a tournament, that only took 10 years!

I have signed up specifically to let you know my partner and I shall be entering. My name is Adam I am 24 from Oxford, put me down. Any news on dates/rules?

Many thanks - the Prof

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The date will almost certainly be the 24th May now.

Rules still haven't been finalised, but they're not going to be far from what anyone would expect concerning banned Pokemon and clauses. As it's PBR, we'll have a ruleset drawn up according to how the in-game rulesets work - so that'll be the only real 'difference' I suppose to most major competitive rulesets.

I have a question. Will the tourno be in the Sunny Park Colosseum? That colosseum is normal battles, no quirks. I too can provide a wii and PBR. Also, I have convinced my parents to let me go to this ;D

While I may still attend, I know a few people that were planning on attending, but have already put plans in place to go to the MCM Expo in London on the weekend of the 24th. Wasn't sure if you were aware of that event being on, so thought i'd just let you know.

According to Pokemonvgc.com - the official site for the championships, it states that these are the rules:

Each player must enter 4—6 Pokémon on his or her Team Information Sheet.
Each player must enter 4—6 held items on his or her Team Information Sheet.
Players may only use Pokémon and held items listed on their Team Information Sheet during the tournament.
The Pokémon and held items listed on a player's Team Information Sheet may not be changed once the player has registered for the event.
Players may change which held item a Pokémon is using between matches so long as both the Pokémon and the held item are listed on the player's Team Information Sheet.

Each match will use the 2-on-2 format.
Each Pokémon on a player's team must be Level 50 or lower. The Pokémon Link Club Colosseum does not have an auto-level feature, so Pokémon that are Level 51 or higher cannot be adjusted down to Level 50, and are ineligible for this competition.
A player's team may not contain two of the same Pokémon.
Each Pokémon on a player's team may use held items, though no 2 Pokémon on a team may hold the same item. Allowed items include held items from Pokémonâ„¢ Platinum Version, and earlier video games, including Berries 1—61. The Soul Dew item may not be used.
Players may not enter two Pokémon with the same nickname.
Players may not enter a Pokémon nicknamed with the name of another Pokémon character (for example, a Lucario nicknamed "Spiritomb").
Players found to have inappropriate/offensive Trainer names or Pokémon nicknames, as determined by the event staff, will be disqualified from the event.
Pokémon Restrictions:
Players may use Pokémon found in the Pokémonâ„¢ Platinum Version National Pokédex, between 001 and 492, including those Pokémon imported from earlier video games, with the exception of those Pokémon listed below.

The following Pokémon are ineligible for use in the tournament:

150 — Mewtwo 386 — Deoxys
151 — Mew 479 — Rotom
248 — Tyranitar 483 — Dialga
249 — Lugia 484 — Palkia
250 — Ho-Oh 487 — Giratina
251 — Celebi 489 — Phione
382 — Kyogre 490 — Manaphy
383 — Groudon 491 — Darkrai
384 — Rayquaza 492 — Shaymin
385 — Jirachi

Move Restrictions:
Pokémon may only use moves (including those learned in an earlier video game) which have been learned through one of the following methods:

By leveling up
By TM or HM
As an Egg move, through breeding
From a Move Tutor
Already learned by a Pokémon, which was received at an official Pokémon event or promotion
Already learned by a Pokémon, which was received from another Pokémon game (such as the Pikachu that knows Surf, from Pokémon Battle Revolution)
By Smeargle's "Sketch" move (limited to the above moves learned by Pokémon between 001 and 492)

Is this going to be the case with the UK tournements? because so far the drafted rules ive seen are nothing like these.

hi there guy's i have only just joined the forum with this tourny happerning in my home town so just expressing a interest from me and my girlfriend hope to see you all there