• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Announcing the Summer 2009 Pokecharms UK Pokemon Tournament

I hate when they ban legendaries! All my good teams are made of legendaries. Other than that I'm a bit interested. I think I'll just stay home and do a small tournament with my friends.

I hope they don't use those rules, because I've just trained up my pokemon over lv 50 except one. Now I'll have to train with new pokemon. :(

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Players may not enter two Pokémon with the same nickname.
Players may not enter a Pokémon nicknamed with the name of another Pokémon character (for example, a Lucario nicknamed "Spiritomb").
Players found to have inappropriate/offensive Trainer names or Pokémon nicknames, as determined by the event staff, will be disqualified from the event.

Those have got to be the most ridiculous rules I've ever heard in my life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

Rule No. 251: Players may not enter with a Pokemon nicknamed "Bob", "Steve", or "Joe". Offenders will be tarred and feathered, dragged out into the streets, and forced to run around screaming "BASCH LIVES!" Those who fail to do so will then be sporked until singing the complete version of Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You". And offenders, it better damn well sound good.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Rule No. 251: Players may not enter with a Pokemon nicknamed "Bob", "Steve", or "Joe". Offenders will be tarred and feathered, dragged out into the streets, and forced to run around screaming "BASCH LIVES!" Those who fail to do so will then be sporked until singing the complete version of Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You". And offenders, it better damn well sound good.

THE INTERNET

You won it.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Each Pokémon on a player's team must be Level 50 or lower. The Pokémon Link Club Colosseum does not have an auto-level feature, so Pokémon that are Level 51 or higher cannot be adjusted down to Level 50, and are ineligible for this competition.

That rule is even worse since it's not only completely unreasonable, but it also prevents Dragonite and Tyranitar from being used purely because they can only be acquired at Lv.55. If someone's trained all their Pokemon to Lv.100, they shouldn't be punished for it, so as far as I'm concerned this rule should not be even considered for use here.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator

... It's for reasons like this that I'll love you forever, Katie. XD

That rule is even worse since it's not only completely unreasonable, but it also prevents Dragonite and Tyranitar from being used purely because they can only be acquired at Lv.55. If someone's trained all their Pokemon to Lv.100, they shouldn't be punished for it, so as far as I'm concerned this rule should not be even considered for use here.
Well, blame Game Freak for not using an auto-level feature in Club Colosseum mode :( Silly Game Freaks.

Anyway, I don't know why those rules were posted here. Doc Oak already said a rule-set will be posted soon, and you all know that every battle at this tournament in Manchester will use Pokémon Battle Revolution, which does have an auto-level feature which we will be using. Therefore, it doesn't matter what level your Pokémon are as they'll be adjusted to level 50 anyway.

I'm expecting pretty standard rules to be honest, it's less complicated that way. Most of the rules can be activated on PBR anyway, and most hacks can be detected by it.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord

There's a reason for the no naming a Pokemon after the name of another Pokemon rule - the game gets confuddled and shows the nicknamed pokemon instead of the real one in certain circumstances. So you could hide a banned Pokemon as another one...

Anyway, I've already said our rule set will be based around PBR, so we wont be following the official Nintendo rules in that capacity.

Oh man, I'd love to come with my two sisters but I won't be able to come if it's the 24th as that's London expo. :(
Anywayz, I may be able to come to a later one (in London perhaps?!)

hey!um i can help with the tournament i have a pokemon diamond with all legendaries
and a shiny arceus i will be willing to give it away to 2nd place winner! 8)

ps. i was the first in texas to get platinum![/color][/color]

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
No, you can't help with the tournament since that Arceus is blatantly hacked - there isn't a single Arceus in existence that has been claimed without any hacking whatsoever as of right now.

Offering hacked Pokemon as tournament prizes, as well as having terrible grammar, is no way to introduce yourself here in 'Charms. Consider this an official warning.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
The date has been confirmed as the 23rd May - Saturday again, not sunday. More details and registration will follow in the next couple of days.

Are we unable to register at the moment? I just tried to, filled out the form, but then realised there's no button to press to send in the registrations... Lol.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well, I haven't finished the form yet - so that's why I haven't posted the link publicly yet, so I can only assume that Google's decided to index it before I was ready for it. >>

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Registration is now up. Registration DOESN'T guarantee you a place in the tournament - specifically if you turn up too late or if you simply arrive after the point where we've got too many people to do the tournament (likely 32). There will be a small fee for entry - but this will be determined by the numbers that register, so I can't confirm what the cost will be. It wont be more than £5, though.

You can change the Pokemon and moves you register with, we just need a planned team that we can check your team against on the day. It's simply to speed up the process of checking teams.

The tournament will start at 1 - and if you're there much later than that, you stand a fair chance of missing the first stages and losing out, so I'd advise attempting to make it for 1.

Any more details will be revealed as necessary, and a full list of times, details, etc will be posted on the front page shortly before the event for quick reference then.

Awesome.

I've registered now, I'll be there on the Saturday (hopefully rather early), and hopefully I'll get to compete. Looking forward to it!

I really do wish I could go... but I'm fairly certain my parents won't let me hop a plane to the U.K. all by myself...

Anyways, good luck to all who enter and I'm hoping sometime the tournament comes to the U.S.!

Not entirely sure who to ask about this so I'll post it here: while registering for the tournament I entered a Salac berry and a Petaya berry as hold items, hoping to soft-reset until I could get them from the Berry Master, but apparently neither of them can be found on the games I have. Can I change these two hold items to brightpowder and scope lens instead?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
As it says on the registration, all team changes are fine - but they must be checked off against what's registered on the day.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Just to let you guys know in advance (anyone who has registered will be getting this information in a week or so e-mailed to them anyway), because of the site costs increasing - in no small part because of this tournament and the prospect of working to get more set up - the entry fee of £5 will now be £6 to recoup part of the loss in setting up a new server.

What the plan for the day looks to be like is we will have two machines set up on big screen TVs either side of Gamerbase and will have the two sides of the tournament tree split across those two. This will be 15 battles per screen and then the final on one (if only the Wii wasn't made of suck and had LAN capabilities...). Because the tournament is now on a Saturday, we do have more time available for the tournament so we may not need to restrict the time limit further. Just be aware that it may take some time between getting there and getting confirmed for the tourney and you getting to battle...

We hope to have another Wii (or two) set up on a smaller screen for people to have their own friendly battles over - but as the Gamerbase H&S [censored] means you can't use the Wii remotes for fear of smashing the multi-hundred pound screens, these battles will need to be set up by the Pokecharms staff that'll be there at the event. Other than that, people will be allowed to remain in Gamerbase and battle with their DSs - or are free to have a go at what Gamerbase itself has to offer.

Although, since Gamerbase runs a COD 4 tourney on Saturdays too - you may be out of luck for getting to play on the other machines past a certain time (I think it starts at 4).

Like I said before, anyone who's registered - check your e-mails next week, I will send you an e-mail confirming all the information and that you will be on my registration list for the day. Just remember to get down there with plenty of time to get your name down for battling because we can only take 32 people (and over 100 have registered) to play in the tourney itself - and it's just going to be a case of whoever gets to me first.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Incidentally, registration will be closing next Thursday - so make sure you're sorted before then. There are a lot of bogus entries (I don't think some people realise this is a UK tournament despite how often it's said...), so I'll need to clean up the entry list quite a bit before I contact everyone and print out my registration list for the day.

If you registered and DON'T get an e-mail on the Friday (and it's not just in your spam box) - and your entry was GENUINE and you WILL be in Manchester the day after, make absolutely sure you contact me before the end of the day. If your name is not on my list, you will not be playing.

Hey, i wanted to ask about the banned pokemon on the tornament. When looking through i noticed the legendary dogs, the regi's, and also azelf, mespirit, uxie, latios and latias were not banned? I think these pokemon should be banned as their stats are basically ALOT better than your average pokemon, and i think if these pokemon were banned it would even the playing feild alot more and make battles alot more interesting. This making us trainers work more to improve normal pokemon and create a good team rather than relying on uber rares and their genetically enhanced super strengths!

Over 100 people have regestered? Is there any point in more people regestering now.

I'd love to enter but its an expensive and long train journey and I would be quite gutted and out of pocket if I arrived and could not join in.
How early would we have to be there to stand a good chance of being able to enter?

I understand we have to be there before 1 but we would have to arrive before a big crowd of people also.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I wouldn't recommend arriving that long before 1 - if you beat us there, it wont do you that much good. :p

And I'd say it's still worth registering - even though over 100 people have registered, some of those are obviously bogus entries, and it's unlikely even everyone that's actually from the UK that's entered will make it down on the day.

Besides, even if you don't make it into the tournament itself, there's still plenty of battles to be had either DS-DS or on the other PBR setup/s we'll have. I'm sure it'll still be pretty fun for anyone that doesn't make it into the tournament itself - so I'd happily encourage people to turn up whether they think they'll make it in time to participate in the main event or not.

If time was more willing, I'd happily extend the tournament to more people - but considering the next jump after 32 for a tournament is 64, even if we managed to get that many people in for the tournament, it would take a lot longer than a few hours.

Do you have to pay to extend the amount of time using the venue? im sure everybody would LOVE the tornament to be longer, and wouldnt mind paying a bit extra? The UK doesnt hold many tornaments as we all know, so i think everyone would be willing to pay the price for a good day out.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
We'll be there from 1 and the place shuts at 7. We'd rather not be there for 6 hours, though. As much as it may be nice to allow 64 people to have a massive tournament - it's just not feasible.

I will say, though, that anyone who makes it down and has registered - but doesn't get to battle will get priority if we get another one in Manchester (or London) any time soon.

Would there be an exception to the rule of finding you on the day to be part in the tournament, such as sending you a text or something in the morning?

I'm only asking this because knowing my luck, I'll drive all the way from medway (which apparently will take me about 4 hours), spend ages trying to park and then find the place to find out that registration has closed because you've filled up all 32 players, and for such a long drive that'd completely suck! Currently its the main reason why I'm still not sure wether I'll be able to come or not =/

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
To make it fair, we do have to stick to it just being first come first served.

As I've said before though, there'll still be plenty to do even if you don't get to be in the tournament itself.