• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Snapdragon's Sprites

I'm going to try and do something for the Pokedex entry...
Whipparu
Whip Tail Pokemon

Whipparu are great hunters. A Whipparu whips its tail to capture its prey, and then uses electricity to kill it. Whipparu gather electricity with the gem on its forehead. Male Whipparu duel with their tales for mating rights. The male's tails are longer than the females for this purpose.
(Grass/Electric.)
Whip + Kangaroo = Whipparu XD

Sorry, Nachoman, but that's still not quite it. XD You're getting closer, though.

As for Tobias, Incarnate, his pinkness has to do with his starter. She's not on his roster anymore, but his first Pokemon's a Blissey. I have this thing about a character's primary Pokemon reflecting something about their personality, and since his actual primary Pokemon's a Xatu, poor little Blissey only got to influence his appearance.

That, and there's nothing more degrading than getting your sorry face robbed by a guy in pink. :B

Update: Added some more hints to the contest post. :3

That's interesting. Blissey, huh? Cool. I guess I'll take a shot at the whole contest thing.
I think I know what it is.
9. Quilava
10. (toughie) Houndoom
11. Uxie

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Hm... I'm guessing Burmy. Why? The Roc-type has a stone that looks like the gem, only rotated and recoloured, and the leafy grass-type one because of... the leafy things on it tail. I think I'm wrong, though.

@ S_E: It can't be Burmy, because if you look at Snapdragon's fusion hints, it says forehead gem and tip of tail
@ Snapdragon:
10. Lucario
11. Weavile

My bad. ^^' The anticipation is driving me insane. *twitch*
I also thought it might be Floatzel, but then I thought about it and realized that Floatzel's snout is more round than the snout on Snapdragon's fusion.

Well damn, I named off all the easy ones for everybody and then they all just ambushed poor Tama-chan with random guesses.

The last one would be Gabite, wouldn't it? Tama just can't get enough of Arc even though he's all grown up now, neh? :3​

emot-yoshi.gif
We have a winner!
emot-yoshi.gif

Congrats, Demi, the last answer was Gabite. x3
Gabite!Arcis > the world. :F
So what do you want for your two sprite requests?

The rest of youse guys: don't despair! Contest number two still exists. :B​

Floraroo
outback pokemon

Floraroo bounces around with its powerful hind legs with. if it spots another opponent of equal or greater strength, it will instantly challenge them to an all out brawl, fighting with fists and feet. This pokemon will not stop until the opponent has been defeated.
(Grass/Fighting​

Naturou
The Naturalist Pokemon
This Pokemon usually live in arid locations, traveling across vast lands in search of food and water. It is really protective of natural evironments, and has grown a dislike for many humans due to their destruction to the natural world. If it places a leaf from its tail onto destroyed nature, the former plant-life will all grow back in a mere 3 days.
(Grass)​
I used the French word for kangaroo for the "rou" part, and nature or naturalist for the "natur" part. [sub]Yes, I'm disgusted by the dustruction caused by humans... I need a few thousand of the Pokemon I described.[/sub]

Floamaru (Flow-a-ma-roo)
Nature Pokemon

When it is fully grown, the first stage of leaves on its tail drop onto the ground and instantly grow into beautiful plants of all kinds that help fertilize the surrounding area. Due to its uncanny ability to produce plantlife, it is capable of increasing the rate at which plants grow.
Grass

emot-frogsiren.gif
We have a winner! Again!
emot-frogsiren.gif

Although I happen to be one of the people who refuses to acknowledge that "???" is, in fact, a type, the fact that the entry was not only so different, but nice and long, means that the winner of a shiny new sprite request...
...Is Dusk. :3
Just let me know what you'd like.

So... now that the contests are over and the cries of "The left nostril comes from Jigglypuff!" and "It's a kangaroo Pokeymans!" have died down, I hear you asking, "Hey Tama. Just what does a Snapdragon look like, huh?"

What? Nobody's asking that.
Everybody knows what a snapdragon looks like, anyway. It's this stupid little flower that--

Get back in the closet. >:[

... :'(
[size=6pt]Stupid girly flower puppet.[/size]

Anyway. Since you guys are all curious as to what a Snapdragon looks like, check it out.

snapdragon.png
snapdragon_grr.png
snapdragon_guh.png

Lazy me. I stole the head off of a modified Charmeleon I made a while back, and the wings are pretty much directly off of Golbat. Everything else on these buggers is good old-fashioned scratch, though, honest.

snapdragon_mugshot.png

Also, bonus mugshot. XD

Nice sprites of yourself Tama, and the mugshot is quite impressive. It's great to see your fusions and scratches, even if I don't really take part in the competitions.

Putting sprite updates on the bottom of the previous page seems to be my superpower. u_u

Anyway, there probably won't be any more contests for a while. Three requests (one I get the other two, that is ;p) is about three times the workload I usually take for requests, and it gets a little frustrating sometimes.

Thanks for the compliments, though. :3

Anyway, without further ado, Dusk's sprite request. Female-only Dawn Stone evolution for Duskull. I had a lot of fun with this one, so kudos for coming up with a neat request.
It's a bit big for a Pokemon sprite, but I'm proud to say it's completely done from scratch.
(I did cheat on the hands and use Haunter as a reference, though.)

Duskrequest.png

Diminx
Rogue Pokemon
(5"2', 47 lbs.)

The skull mask it wears on the back of its head enables it to see 360 degrees. Like Dusclops, It's been said that its body is hollow, and that anyone who tries to remove the mask gets sucked into the void. It has been known to attach itself to lonely people, and will follow them relentlessly from the shadows. It lacks a voice, so it communicates using its hands.

(Ghost type.)​

That's an interesting take on an evolution Tama and it's pretty nifty how the mask moves and what not. The description is good, but I reckon the fact it's entirely scratched is the most kudos-inducing part. Nice.

And at long last, we have the other two contest requests.

demidragon-2.png

demidragon_portrait-1.png

(With bonus portrait that looks nothing like the other dragon portrait. u_u)
Of course, all y'all are total experts on what a Snapdragon looks like by now. You're probably all going "what's the deal, Tama? That thing don't look too Snappy to me."
That's because it's not a Snapdragon. It's a Demidragon. Snapdemi. Samidragon.
Um.

Hey look over here!
Jalenchao.png

Request number two was to see my homeslice Jalen made into a Sonic character.
Of course, Demi wasn't too specific on what kind of character, so Jalen defaulted to the most cutesy annoying pink thing I could find.
Hurr. :B

Coming up next: A FE portrait for Morphing Emotions. Then... I dunno. A unicorn punching a T-Rex in the bojangles.

Nice dragon take on Pix there. The Charizard head and Skarmory wings certainly look interesting together. It's also pretty funny that you chose a Chao as the Sonic character base.

*clears away cobwebs* ...Ahem.
Yeah, I suck at updating. XD

emotionmugshot.png

FE Mugshot of Shining Morphing Emotions' character. Kind of an old request, sorry about that.

suanmi.png

Also, a quick edit of Suanmi, the most weaksauce MMX fancharacter of all time.
This one's also kinda old. XD​

Oooo, purty. :D I like how you colored the hair, it looks so softly shaded. Very nice indeedy!

I like the MMX edit. :3 I rarely do MM edits, so it's pretty awesome to see them done. The shading seems odd, because it doesn't look like other things you've done, but it's nice to see you trying other things out too. :D

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Snapdragon, you've got flair, and it makes your sprites awesome to look at ^_^

I think what stands out to me with your work is the creativity you put into your creations and the ability to splice/color things to the point that it's tough to figure out exactly where the original body-pieces came from. Both your splicing ability and coloring style are excellent, and I really enjoy looking through this thread. The fact that most of your Snapdragon sprites are from scratch is really cool, too, because ever since you made it your avatar I've been admiring how nice it looks.

Really nice stuff here. I really do need to check this thread more often ^^

I love that Suanmi. Weak my eye, Tama. He looks like he'd fit in in those games easy.

That Mugshot is awesome, too. However, I believe her name is 'Morphing Emotions'. ^_^ Or maybe you're talking about a different person entirely.

Snap means the character itself is physically weak. Suanmi is so shoddily made, he can't fire his own weapon without damaging himself.

Still a cool sprite, though.

My dear god, that's amazing! Everything was correctly coloured to their real counterparts, it's like you based it off a picture of me (but that one looks better than I do in reality). That's even the same hairstyle I use quite a bit! I just love how it came out, I can't even describe it in mere words.
Sami is right, the shading of the MMX guy is different than your normal style, I can't quite put a finger on it, but yeah, slightly different. Don't get me wrong, I do like it, as it's quite good.
I really like the rest of your sprites as well, hence why I actually wanted to make the sprite transparent, not for the request (which came as a total surprise, thanks for it!). I've been watching awhile now, and will continue. Can't wait for next update!

Another FE spriter I see? Very nice. What bases did you use? They're blended rather well whatever they are, but the neck appears a bit wonky, too skinny I suppose.

I don't care too much for the MM edit however. In general it is a solid edit, but the shading seems rather sporadic, primarily around the waist/crotch area and the shoulder pads. Maybe if you used darker shades on the yellow it would seem less flat.

I'm glad the mugshot was a hit. I had a little bit of trouble there--you're right about the neck, Zero. It's a little off. :/
I couldn't tell you what the bases are, though. I've been doing FE mugshots for a while, yeah, but I've never actually played any of the games. XD;; I'm pretty sure this one came from Sacred Stones or something like that, though.

The reason why the MMX one looks different is because it's... well, old. Suanmi's been kicking around for a while. I hadn't quite grasped how to properly do color palettes, so the difference in some of the shades is way too subtle, and the outlines are way lighter than my normal stuff. ME's mugshot looked so lonely being posted all alone, and seeing how I've dug Suanmi out of the "old unused character graveyard" I figured I may as well.

But yeah. Thanks for the comments, everyone. :3

Oh trust me, I know the feeling. I've only ever gotten 3/4 of the way through 7 XD Thats why I always would use the "Row 2, column 3" system :p

Nice portrait there! Since I've not seen the character it's based on it looks pretty much just like a normal blonde with no distinguishing features, but it's good sprite work all the same. The MMX character is nicely done too, legs of death and all, heh.

Then... I dunno. A unicorn punching a T-Rex in the bojangles.

You must do this sprite.....now, or else, I might just as well XD

[quote author=Snapdragon link=topic=2261.msg35525#msg35525 date=1188435534]
*clears away cobwebs* ...Ahem.
Yeah, I suck at updating. XD

emotionmugshot.png

FE Mugshot of Shining Morphing Emotions' character. Kind of an old request, sorry about that.

suanmi.png

Also, a quick edit of Suanmi, the most weaksauce MMX fancharacter of all time.
This one's also kinda old. XD​
[/quote]

The FE Mugshot is nice, I really like how you added the hair over the eye, must've been a pain to do, since the base from that doesn't have the little extension. Also, cleaned up the bottom (turning armor into a shirt) pretty nice. The neck is long and skinny, but not much can be done there, considering the base you used.

As for the MMX Character, it's pretty good, and I like how it looks, even though; like the others said, the shading looks funny.

Sorry I didn't post earlier o3o *wonked* Keep up the spriting work!

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
So... sprite dump time. XD These are all old sprites. Little custom poses and minor edits.
Wow. I love the Leafeon, and the Pikachu. Although I disagree with Xanthier.

[quote author=Xanthier link=topic=2261.msg29288#msg29288 date=1185570764]
.... The sad looking Pikachu makes me fiercely happy inside. It's almost as if it's looking on as it's trainer is about to be shot, with it to follow. It's immensely heartwarming. Tama, I hold your sprites in even higher regard, heh.
[/quote]
To me it looks more thoughtful, or slightly scared - perhaps it just found an injured powerful Pokemon, and it wants to help, but is afraid of being attacked?

The Xanthier mugshot & Snapdragon with pencil are great - but I LOVE Diminx. It looks really evil & mad (in the British English sense of the word = crazy, insane, not angry). Reminds me of the way Helena Bonham Carter played Bellatrix Lestrange in the Order of the Phoenix movie :D.

Heh, cool frog, really does remind me of a Politoed.

Actually, the hat makes it look like pimped. |D

Great Pixel Art, and if you need a request, do a unicorn punching a T-rex in the Bojangles XD

You said you would do it, in a jokingly manner, but I still want to see it |D

Feathered Hats ftw! X3​

The only feedback I can think of would me to make the feather look more feathery... it seems to have too smooth of edges.

Even so, looks great!