• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Snapdragon's Sprites

guilroz_totw3.png

Yo. The name's Guil, rhymes with ill.
An' I'm Roz. Rhymes with... Oz. Whoa... Guil, that one actually worked!
Remind me to never use it again, then.
I can't help it if my name is hard to rhyme. At least I'm not making some stupid magical-girl pose.
I'll cut you.
In the name of the moon, right?
That's it. Get over here.

Um... so hey guys. :'D Here's a sprite dump to show I'm not dead.

thierry_headshot.png

Everyone's favourite Pokemon private eye. (He'd better be, anyways. >_>)
There was actually much more of this, but it was looking dangerously furry to me, so I kinda gave up. If you can guess the base I used with so little to see, you either have no life or are Sami, because she saw the WIP version ages ago and I whined about it for about a month straight.
Either way, a request for whoever gets it, but it's not an official contest because I don't expect you to recognize it. XD

tierra.png

Tierra, who has nothing to do with Thierry. She's a character for a Bleach RP, because I'm cool like that.
Also part one of a trio, but we'll see if the other two are ever done.

jiasprite1.png

matt.png

Sprite requests. The poses aren't very original, but I didn't much like the people that asked for them, so I recycled a bit. XD

julia1.png

Jalen's mommy, Julia Rothchilde. She's the one who gave him that hat of his (and, apparently, his fashion sense). She divorced long ago, so she's a well-known breeder in Hoenn.
Also, her arm is kind of wonky. :/
Drifloons and Wigglytuffs are her favourites. She likes balloons.

Sileo_humanized.png

leysa_humanized.png

More Pokemon -> human conversions. Jalen's Marowak, Leysa, and Sileo the Umbreon.
I'm not too proud of these. I can't really remember what I used for the poses, but Leysa needs her bone club and Sileo... I dunno.

omega2.png

omega3.png
zaleus1.png

omegamatt.png

These guys are Team Omega members, from the roleplay that spawned Jalen and Tobias, as well as Sami's Lexi and Izzy. Team Omega's out to capture Palkia, hence why their uniforms are like... entirely stealing its palette. :V
I'm not uploading the generic grunt because it sucks, but these guys are the generic Omega Admin, the second in command (named Zaleus, I think...?), and Matt, the womanizer with the magical black Pikachu that liked to hit on every girl ever. Matt, not the Pikachu.

ramiel1.png
ramiel2.png
ramiel_masquerade.png

This is Ramiel, Team Omega's leader. Wasn't originally going to be my character, I was only asked to do the designs, but... I think the one who came up with them asked me to, so I kinda ran away with it. I'd have made him look a little different if I'd known he was mine from the start, but what can you do?
His backstory is kind of convoluted.
He has Uxie on his side, because the other team leader had Azelf. (I had to jump through hoops for it to be okay for Ramiel to have a legendary too, but I won't touch on that.) He didn't own it because he was so skilled, though. See, when he was like... 10, Uxie wiped his memory then shoved him off a cliff. XD Then he runs off and finds Zaleus, Lassie-style. Zaleus has big ambitions but is kind of a sneaky guy, so he takes in Ramiel and raises him to be all badass and lead Team Omega, thinking it's all his idea. As for Uxie, it wants Palkia so that when the other team calls out Dialga, he can manipulate them into dragging out Arceus and destroy him so Uxie can be in charge. Or something. So Ramiel's being manipulated not only by father-figure Zaleus, but by lifelong-friend Pokemon Uxie. Kind of a bummer.
I know it doesn't make sense, but it was before DP was released in North America and I didn't know why else some random dudes would want Palkia. XD

demi.png

Gift done for Sami a while back. I dunno if you remember, but they're from a fic she wrote a while ago.

timsprite.png

I... I don't even know who this is.
It's timsprite.png, so I guess he's called Tim.

smeargle1.png

If you do not like Smeargles you are not cool. :T

Lawl, I was expecting these sprites...
Errr....I mean, nice sprites .>
No, I did not go through your photobucket account, why would you say that? o.o
Ok, so I did, I deserved to be wacked with an ugly stick. I know what game the "Private Investigator" is from, and I saw a lot from it, like most of the rest of the body X.X
I'm a bad Haku D:
Some I haven't seen though.
Anyway Very nice job on these, they look fantastic :D

[size=8pt]Hurr. The Marowak to human conversion reminds me of a commander from some new bad guy team. Like a bunch of fossil hunters who go around wearing bones of pokemon.
I think the grunts would have a ribcage shirt and wear the skull of some really lame pokemon, and therefore insinuating that they too must be lame O:
But they do look fantastic.

And Guil and Roz make me giggle.

But for some reason I really love the shading on the eyes and ears of the gift art you made for Pixelchu.
I dunno why, it just pops out at me for some reason P:[/size]

(Warning, another obscenely long post. XD)
Thanks for the comments, guys. :] Anyway, I browsed through the spriting guide sticky at the top of the forum, but it didn't seem to hold many relevant links. Nevertheless, if this doesn't belong here or I'm outta line, I'll delete it. If not...

[size=12pt]Snapdragon Presents:
The Lazy Hack's Guide to Spriting
[/size]

Snapdragon presents? We're the ones doing all the work.
Yeah, but then we'd be implying that we're the lazy hacks. Anyhow, I'm Guil. Rhymes with krill.
An' I'm Roz, rhymes with... kroz. We're here to show you the magic of shading.
But not the fancy variety. If you're after pillow shading, look elsewhere.
We're all about the quick and easy method!

shading1.png

Here we have Ardeo the Arcanine. He's our model for today. Say hello, Ardeo.
First thing you wanna do when working with sprites is zoom in. I don't think you need instructions on that one.

shading2.png

There, much better. Having a thumbnail helps too, though it's not necessary.
You can get one by going to the menu on the top, then clicking View -> Zoom -> Show Thumbnail.

shading3.png

Next, we create a palette. Use the eyedropper tool to pick up a color, then the paintbrush tool to leave a blob of that color over on the side. Lather, rinse, repeat... and make sure you get all the colors on the sprite.
Snapdragon likes using the largest paintbrush size when he makes his palette because it's easier to see how colors look together when they're bigger.

shading4.png

Now we pick the colors we're going to be recoloring our sprite with. There are two ways of doing this.
Method one: make it yourself. Go to the color blocks at the bottom of the screen and double-click one. This window should pop up. All you do is click define custom colors, and you can make whatever color you need.

shading5.png

If you're feeling lazy, you can just drag down the arrow on the far right to get darker shades of whatever color you're using.
Snapdragon also likes to move that crosshair thing down as well. It's a bit more realistic for the hue to get duller as the shading gets darker.
If you're a little worried about the garish shade of green we're demonstrating here, no worries...

shading6.png

...we'll be using a different palette. This is method number two: Lift your palette from another sprite.
As you can see in the thumbnail, these colors came from a Honchkrow edit.
Awful generous of the boss to lend out his color scheme, ain't it?

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
COOL!!! Now I know how to make all the, saw, yellow... er, blue? You know, with this... step?
shading8.png

Now here's the easy part. Click on the eraser tool. Now hold down the right mouse button (not the left!) and scribble over your sprite.
All the light orange has magically turned to blue! Just make sure you get all of it, or it'll look weird when you're done. Repeat the last two steps with all the colors in your palette, and you should get something like this:

Ah, yes, this was a great step instead of double checking if what I was coloring every bit of that shade of mentioned yellow. If you get what I mean.

Thanks! I learned something new today!

rleaf-1.gif

It's been a while since I posted last, but I think I burned myself out on spriting. xD
I don't have much to show except for a shaky attempt at animation.
Leafeon was modified from the Ranger Espeon sprite.​

Daww, it's cute. :3 I wants it. I love how the tail has movement and you really can't tell it's a Espeon edit.​

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
IT'S SO CUTE!!! I really like it! *hugs Leafeon*

REALLY cool animation. I especially like the colors and the tail. So kawaii...

Omg, I love that Leafeon to death! *Hugs it, grabs it, RUNS* Anyway, I love the rest of your sprites as well. Thanks for the eraser tip on spriting, it's so nuch easier than filling in colors that match with the eyedropper-paintcan combo. I love the rest of your work as well.

That Weavile does look oddly familiar... Can't place a finger on it.., Hmmm... (a shame, too, a sprite request would be like finding gold)

First of all, your sprites rule...and second of all...your sprites rule! They are totally awesome! I also think that that Leafeon is adorable. Great job!

I know It's a Wonderful World edits are nothing new or special, but this guy was a pain in the face so I'm posting him anyway.
Mar.png

This here's Mar, the second member of Tierra's little trio.
It's most definitely not my best edit, and given how frustrating he was, I don't think you'll ever see the final member of the three.

Anyway, who cares about that.
Potential Sprite Request Action up in here! :0
Christmas is quite nearly upon us, and Roz and Guil, procrastinators that they are, have yet to buy gifts for each other!
It's not procrastinating. It's conscientious objection.
Ooh, that's rough. I think they have medication for that, Guil.

Right, well anyway.
What should those two get other for Christmas?
The suggestions I like best win sprite requests, since 'tis the season and all.
There's two requests to be won: one for the best present for Roz, and one for the best present for Guil.
It's possible the same person will win both, or two different people will win. Depends on my whims.

[size=7pt]PS: Since nobody guessed it, the base for Thierry's headshot was Apollo Justice. >_>;[/size]

IAWW sprites are really hard, and I think that one turned out really nice!
I think Roz should get a pony, and Guil should get money (lol, reference to previous appearance).

[size=8pt]Snapdragon- You know I love your work right?
Right C:
That skull thing=love. And so does Mar's jacket. -grabby hands-

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
How about you give them both an FE mugshot? Or you give them, um, a Pokemon version of them? Or...

You can let them take over your thread, but they can't lock you up in the closet anymore. I'm kinda kidding.

i think roz should get a life sized plushie of him self and guil should get a pet fire breathing evil flying unicorn, but thats just an idea

xD Snapz, Mar kicks ass. I love the helm, and the lil' dead fishy on the jacket. =D A touch of adorable on a bad-ass jacket.

Guil should get Roz a list of things that rhyme with 'Roz'.
And Roz...hmm....I dunno. I like Belle's suggestion. x3​

emot-wooper.gif
We have a winner(s)!
emot-wooper.gif

Congratulations to Belle and Pixeity, whose suggestions had the greatest potential for comedy relief.

guildenstern2.png
rosencratz1.png

The name's Guil, rhymes with... Guil.
An' I'm Roz, rhymes with... uh... lemme check the list... gauze! In your face, greenie! I rhyme and you can't do anything about AUUUGH MY VERTEBRAE
Heheheh... best Christmas ever.

So what'll it be, Belle and Sami? Any spritey little thing your heart desires.
(Unless you ask me to sprite one of my own characters again Sami SO HELP ME XD)

(SE, doing Pokemon versions of Roz and Guil would be a bit redundant. xD If you can't tell by the hats/above sprites, they started out as Pokemon originally.)
I'm glad people liked the guide. :] As long as I can save you a step on recoloring, my duty has been served.
(Also Belle thanks for your interest in Thierry. XD It does the attention-starved writer in me a world of good. We'll see if I can dust off the wordfest.)

[size=8pt](HURR. Snap, you're welcome to let the attention-starved writer in you be friends with the attention-SEEKING writer in me. I just need to administer her daily num-nums, and she should be good to go.)

And I'll have to get back to you on that.
All my characters are losurs and until ADSFADH WATE.
I wanna see Wooper sprited :3
There ya go. If Pixeity can't request one of your characters, I will :B
Since I'll have plenty of free time on my hands in the next few days, I'll get on the voodoo doll itself.
Cos I'm so bored it hurts C; -crying on the insiiiiddeeee-[/size]

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
*dies* this is why I suck at those "guess which Pokiemon I used in this fakemon" games. I can never tell.... even when ithe answer's jumping up and down right in front of me like... Blaziken?

Anyways, congrats to Spriteon/Sami/Pixelchu/Pixeity and Belle. And nice Murkrows. *cowers in fear of getting pecked*

:c You tricked meeeee.
Well, a request is a request. I slaved away for hours to make it.
dpffa194.png

Wooper in all her glory.

But seriously.
I wasn't quite sure how to approach spriting an ordinary Wooper, so I cheated. xD
Instead you get Wooper if she was a people.
newo.png

(Yes her foot's wonky. Sssh. >_>)

Haha, you almost fooled me with that first Wooper, I was like. . .whaaaa?

That Wooper-person sprite is really nice! You're so good at spriting! My sister uses the word "wonky" a lot...haha, just saying.

Sami wants to see 18!Toby and Silver sprited. Umm...I'll have to get back to you on that one. I might have something for you to sprite, but I needs to make a better ref. first. =D

I​

[size=8pt]>3<
-cuddles her-
Wooper is so cute, I can't wait for the next Fiesta update.
Robin Hood+pantyhose=winnnnn.

Kudos to you for you ingenuity -THUMBSUP-
C:[/size]

hey snap. can you make me a sprite of a pokemon i maked? if i send you the picture of it?
No. :] I'm reluctant to take requests from strangers, especially if they have shoddy grammar.

And I know I'm supposed to be waiting on a request so it's rude to be taking other requests and all, but... I took one anyway. XD Shame on me.
yoshitest.png

Yoshimitsu, Mirage Kingdom style.
He still needs his sword, but I'm not sure on the colors and I wanted to check that the hair looks alright, so this is the work-in-progress version.​

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Looks about right, Snappy, though I'm not so sure about the pose. It looks kinda... forced. The blues are perfect though, as are the top and headband :)

yoshi.png

Reworked the pose a little bit.
It's hard to tell the guard on the sword's dragon-head-shaped, I know, and the foreshortening's pretty off. :/ It would seem weapons are not my forte. I can tweak further if it's not up to par.

I can't quite remember what the bases for Yoshimitsu are anymore. XD Male swimmer, expert (or whatever the old dude in the red skirt is), Galactic grunt, runner... guy, a whole lot of scratching, and there might be a trace of the cameraman floating around in there somewhere.

Hay Snapdragon I can't believe that every time I come here I don't leave a reply so here it is. Your sprites are awesome I could never do a quarter of the stuff you do! I like the Leafeon pokemon ranger sprite it is very well done. When I first looked at it I thought that it was ripped from the game! Roz and Guil are so funny. You are very creative to have thought of them. Your IAWW sprite is great! I just admire the way you scratched his hat. Keep up the the amazing work. I will be back soon.

Again, I put a sprite on the very last page. (Edit: by which I mean the last post on the previous page. Durr English what?) XD Go figure.

So, uh... Fakemon time. Hooray.
With bonus sexual dimorphism and everything.
fakemon1.png

Acanthist - Grass/Normal - Nettle Pokemon

Acanthists used to be found only on a small, craggy island in the north. Because their keen intelligence and curiosity make them easy to teach, they gained popularity with trainers worldwide. Several continents reported that Acanthists left to breed in day-cares broke out, however, and the species has now become common enough to be branded an invasive pest.

Since I'm technically waiting on a request (coughPixeitycough) I'm not going to hold a guess-the-bases contest. Tough luck. The bases used are as follows:
Mightyena (head)
Masquerain (flower)
Pinsir (arms)
Sandslash (body and legs)
Goldeen (tail carnation thing)

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
OMG Snappie those are so KUTE!!!! *dies, again, from over-excess of kuteness*

I just HAVE to hug them! *takes and hugs before anyone could say "um"* You saw nothing. ^^

Anyways, I really like that Fakemon, as I expressed in the last two lines. Admittedly, the one on the left (Male, I believe?) looks better than the one on the right, looks-wise, ignoring the color of the flowery thing, but I think the blue looks better than purple (even though purple is my favorite color).

OMG SNAPDRAGON YOU SHOULD BE A POKEMON DESIGNER! Like, you should get paid to do it! It is soooo nice, and I think it was made nicely made. Great job!

[size=8pt]O:
Snap, these are stunning. If you hadn't said anything about bases, I'd have assumed they were scratched. They're blended really well and look completely natural.
And the crest on the male (assuming I'm right about which is which) makes him look very dominant.

"My crest is biggur than yurs C:"[/size]

If you worked for Nintendo, Snap, Pokemon would last longer than anyone would ever want it to. I guess that's somewhat of a compliment.

Heh, I just brought out a sick thought from the dark corners of my mind. A Lucario doing the Phoenix Wright finger point and "OBJECTION!". I scare myself.

So, uh... Fakemon time. Hooray.
With bonus sexual dimorphism and everything.
fakemon1.png

Acanthist - Grass/Normal - Nettle Pokemon

Those i really like. you are really talented[quote author=Zeke_Powerful link=topic=2261.msg45021#msg45021 date=1200793809]
If you worked for Nintendo, Snap, Pokemon would last longer than anyone would ever want it to.[/quote]

I agree

Pure genious. You really should concider being a concept designer for Nintendo xD Your fake'mon look genuine. I hope to see more of your custom poke's in future :D

~Slink

fgsfds

I SUCK AT ANIMATING. x_x This shouldn't have been as complicated as it was.

snap1.gif

I made it so I could have a sig. But I'm posting it here anyways because dang if it didn't take effort. xD