• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

PoChaNoWriMo

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Ok! So, here's the official topic for NaNoWriMo with a 'Charms twist to it. PokéCharms Novel Writing Month =D This thing is kicking off today, so as soon as you guys read this topic feel free to begin posting your stories.

Why take part on 'Charms?: Because we love you and want to read your stories. Srsly. Some of you may write and post stories all the time, but others may never have for whatever reason. It's a daunting task writing an entire story, so we're going to make it easier. We're stripping away the expectations leaving a single goal: to write a complete story by November 30th whatever way you can. Sure, we expect a certain level of grammar and punctuation here (we don't want to read spam), but everything else? Don't stop to proof read. Don't sweat the small stuff. Take risks. Wing it. Write whatever the heck you feel like as long as it resembles a story. No judgments. No silly attempts at professionalism. Just get it done. Your characters will most probably be cliches, you will have plot holes, you may have inconsistencies, but ignore that. Just get it done.

What's the goal?: Your goal is to write a complete 50 paged story from scratch (approximately 25,000 words if you write 500 words per page). It must have a clear beginning and ending. Since that's only half of the original NaNoWriMo word goal, you're free to write more - just don't go overboard and miss the deadline.

When's the deadline?: November 30th at 11:59pm your time. That means that if you live in the UK then your deadline is 11:59 GMT. If you live over on the west coast of the US then your deadline is 11:59 PST. Your deadline is 11:59pm in whatever timezone you live in.

How to take part: All you have to do is post in this topic saying you're taking part. Put "[PoChaNoWriMo]" in the title of your story when you post it - we'll link to it via this main thread. After that, you're free to update your entry topic as you choose - just let us know when you finish so we can verify your word count, add you to our completion list, and celebrate your accomplishment. :3

Good luck guys =D Ready, set, write~

Active Stories
*Ambition by Shocari.
*An Unfortunate Incident by Sir Red.
*~Barriers meant to be Broken~ by Kerauno.
*Bounty Hunted by Choco Cow.
*Forever, Again and Again by Rain
*Hunted... Or Hunters? by Rex.
*Of Dreams by Linkachu
*The Road to Ice by Chibi.
*The Shadow Man Cometh by Chadwyck.

Completed Stories

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
[me=Linkachu]hugs Sem for posting the thread~[/me]

I'm so in this. I don't think I've ever actually completed a story before that wasn't a school project, so this'll be a nice challenge. Having the freedom to mess up will be good for my nerves, too. XD

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
As I said in the other topic, you can count me in. It'll probably be a bit tough for me, but I think I can get the job done. ^^

I saw this before as well, and I'm in! Whew, I'm nervous ^^; Go everyone! :D

EDIT: Just figured out after posting this that I can't do it after all :< Too much school going on. But I will be following everybody elses work with interest. Go all of you! :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
DoctorOak said:
Off-topic, but the title of this topic gives me motion sickness.

Makes me think of "Pochama Novel Writing Month" personally. :X /off-topic

It fits with the NaNoWriMo name, so it works. ;)

Does it have to be 50 pages, or can it go over?

[me=Shocari]is totally taking part either way, he just wants to know :x[/me]

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Sem said:
Since that's only half of the original NaNoWriMo word goal, you're free to write more - just don't go overboard and miss the deadline.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I'm in. I may not hit the limit, but eh. Worth a try :D

I still might not be done by the end of the month (I'm horrible with writing things quickly) but I'll give this a shot.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Of course, NaNoWriMo itself should really be renamed IntNoWriMo - because it's been an International Novel Writing Month for years. I have friends who met through NaNoWriMo in Canada, and they've been together as a couple for 7 years.

I can't do PoChaNoWriMo (did I get it right?) because I have a literature report to write for College that is already overdue. And it's the sort of thing that's easily 25 pages with extensive references. BUT I CAN DO MY LITERATURE REPORT AS A NANOWRIMO! I'll keep in touch and tell you my word count, haha.

Why do they pick November, anyway? Anyone with school/college/university is busy now. Bah.

I might do this, using my school writing (I have to "practice creative writing"). I doubt I'll be able to hit the time limit though...or the word limit, haha.

Although I probaly won't be able to finish, I'll take part. It'll be a good experience for me, I can never really finish writing something.

Also, I have a question concerning how you enter. I don't really understand the "How to Take Part" section of your post Sem. Do we post our stories here, or no? If you can, please clear that up for me.

Another question: If we are using margins, how big should they be? That would probaly make a difference in the number of pages the stories take.

Thanks in advance :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Choco Cow said:
Although I probaly won't be able to finish, I'll take part. It'll be a good experience for me, I can never really finish writing something.

Also, I have a question concerning how you enter. I don't really understand the "How to Take Part" section of your post Sem. Do we post our stories here, or no? If you can, please clear that up for me.

Another question: If we are using margins, how big should they be? That would probaly make a difference in the number of pages the stories take.

Thanks in advance :)

It's probably best just to go strictly by the word count, so aim for 25,000 words and don't worry about the amount of pages. :)

As for how to take part, you're going to create your own topic on the General Writings board and post your story within it. Rex has already started his, so just do what he did.

Well, MS Word already counts them, if you have Word that is.

I have a question too. Do we have to finish the story. I've heard people on DA say that you need over 50,000 words, and here it says that you need over 50,000 words and it has to be finsihed. It's confusing me.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Apparently the original NaNoWriMo says you can either complete your novel by 50,000 words or write 50,000 words with the intention of completing your story later. For our purposes, we want you to write an ending - but if you simply can't, the fact you reached 25,000 words will still be taken into consideration. I may alter the rules if enough people request so, too (See Sem's reply. I agree with him, so I think it's best if we stick to our original plan).

Does that help? XD

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Chibi said:
I have a question too. Do we have to finish the story. I've heard people on DA say that you need over 50,000 words, and here it says that you need over 50,000 words and it has to be finsihed. It's confusing me.

I would say that the point of even writing a story is to finish it, and I think that's the whole point of NaNoWriMo =/ If it were me and I had hit the target number of words I wouldn't suddenly go, "Well, that's it! Guess I'm done now =D" and leave the rest of the story hanging.

The point of the word limit is simply to stop people from writing a complete story using only, like, half of the words, since that means they didn't really work all that hard.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Sem said:
The point of the word limit is simply to stop people from writing a complete story using only, like, half of the words, since that means they didn't really work all that hard.

Yep.

I think it's also good to request completed stories because it feels like a much better accomplishment. It means more finishing something than simply writing a bunch of words. :)

Yup, I'm definitely in. I have this idea that I've been stoking for a while, so I might as well write it for this. I might be able to crack out a chapter or two before bed... Eh, I might be able to meet the word limit, but maybe not the time... But it'll be fun!

I'm a lazy fart. So my story probably won't get past the 20 page mark. Especially with my RP obligations to attend to. Though I do have a story idea I could use. If you see a fic created by me with PoChaNoWriMo in it, then you know that I managed to scrape up time to get off my arse.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Just letting you guys know that more than half a month has already passed. The end of the month is less than two weeks away, which means that you should be about half way through your stories if you want to finish on time. You can do it guys~

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Erm... I know Carmen will probably kill me, but I either need to drop out of this or extend my deadline. The way things have been going with me lately, I don't see myself finishing by the end of November - not even close. D:

Sorry guys. I sucked at this challenge and it was my idea! Boo.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Linkachu said:
Erm... I know Carmen will probably kill me, but I either need to drop out of this or extend my deadline. The way things have been going with me lately, I don't see myself finishing by the end of November - not even close. D:

I'm pretty much in this same boat. :T

Schoolwork really kicked up, what with me having finals (which was like ten papers D:) this past week and then some. I'll have time to write after today, but I really don't see myself being able to come anywhere near the needed amount. I do plan to continue my story, though, as I actually quite like it and I have a number of follow up stories using my Pokemon too. :3

Linkachu said:

As much as I hate to admit it... I may have to do the same. By the end of the month, I won't have gotten much farther, because I'll be going on hiatus for about four-five days, and I won't have internet. Plus, after the other chapters were done, things got hectic for me, and I had less and less free time.

Although, I will be continuing this story after the month is over, because I'm hell-bent on finishing SOMETHING, so I chose this. Plus, I can't leave this thing hanging. I wrote out the plot, and excerpts for the gods' sakes.

I've been writing my next chapter, and I noticed something. The PoChaNoWriMo requires only 25,000 which is about half of the actual NaNoWriMo...and my Word Count says I've already passed that. Soooo technically I'm good for the PoChaNoWriMo.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Chibi said:
I've been writing my next chapter, and I noticed something. The PoChaNoWriMo requires only 25,000 which is about half of the actual NaNoWriMo...and my Word Count says I've already passed that. Soooo technically I'm good for the PoChaNoWriMo.
Well, the other rule was that we had to finish our stories before the month was over. :x

But kudos on getting over the word count. -^^-

Sir Red said:
Well, the other rule was that we had to finish our stories before the month was over. :x

But kudos on getting over the word count. -^^-

Arrrgh x_x Well, at least I'm halfway done :D

Linkachu said:

Nah, I won't kill you for not finishing by the end of November, but I do hope you finish it eventually ♥

I'm very negligent in a sort, because I missed the deadline for even JOINING...yes, it was 30 days ago...that's how long I've been away ._.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Well. Tuesday was the last day, and it seems 90% of you dropped out. Did anyone actually finish? Even if you didn't it was great to see you guys fired up about this, so it's unfortunate that things didn't work out. Thanks for participating, guys =)

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Will PokeCharms be doing this again next year? I had too much going on this year but I would love to try my hand at something like this if given another opportunity.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
If you guys are interested in doing it again then we will most definitely be doing it next year.

I wouldn't mind doing it again next year, it got me fired up enough to write a story faster than I've ever written one before :3 (Even though I didn't quite finish. A month is an ungodly short amount of time to write something >_<)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Sem said:
If you guys are interested in doing it again then we will most definitely be doing it next year.

What he said. If the interest exists to try it again, I certainly wouldn't say no. It's just unfortunate that nobody finished. ^^;

But hey, we can make up for that next year, eh? ;D