• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Gotta Buy 'em All: Pokémon Monopoly Strikes Back

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Pokemon Monopoly.jpg
Once upon a time, in the depths of the late 90s, Pokemon and Mr Monopoly had a mutually beneficial baby and it's name was, predictably, Monopoly: Pokemon Edition. It was fairly succesful, and has since gone on to be an actually quite expensive piece of Pokemon tat for collectors.​

QEOxRUC.jpg

Following on from the announcement of a Legend of Zelda version of Monopoly, however, Monopoly and Pokemon are back together and riding the nostalgia train all the way back to the 90s with Monopoly: Pokemon Kanto Edition. This time, instead of the generic anime artwork, however, the official artwork from the Fire Red and Leaf Green games takes centre-stage - but just as before, the main game board features a map of Kanto, the money features Pikachu and the locations are largely based on the indigenous species of Generation I's starring region.

6-pokemon-monopoly-tokens-pikachu-clefairy-mewtwo-bulbasaur-blastoise-charmander_331268151868.jpg Monopoly_Pokemon_Tokens_metal.jpg

The old tokens of, depending on where you bought the original set, cheap die-cast versions of Fat Pikachu, Meowth, Snorlax, Poliwhirl, Charmander and Psyduck - or hideous colour tokens of Fat Pikachu, Stumpy Mewtwo, Blastoise, Clefairy, Charmander and Squirtle are gone and replaced with modern metal tokens of Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Eevee and Jigglypuff. Whilst, once again, the roles of houses and hotels are fulfilled by PokeMarts and Pokemon Centres.

USAopolyPokemonMonopoly2.jpg

For the tokens alone, it's not that bad a deal, to be fair. Though Gamestop are asking for $45 of your American Dollars when the game is released next week.

There's currently no word on a worldwide release for either the Pokemon Kanto Edition or Legend of Zelda sets, but I somehow expect that before Christmas may not be a bad shout if you're a betting person.

For that same betting person, you may also want to arrange further odds on the likelihood we'll see Pokemon Johto Region, Hoenn Region, Sinnoh Region, Unova Region and Kalos Region sets before much too long, either. Though perhaps you would want to hold off on putting down any money on this being the 'shocking surprise' revealed by Mr. Ishihara-san next week...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
pokemon_monopoly_gold_silver.jpg
To the curious, there was in fact a follow up to the original set featuring Gold and Silver Pokemon (cheap tokens of Marill, Cyndaquil, Bellossom, Totodile, Chikorita and, of course, Pikachu, included) as well as a genuinely hideous box. It also followed suit in using the anime artwork (though with the artwork for Johto's map created for Gold and Silver as the main board) and sealed, complete versions go for about $150 today.​

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I have the original Pokemon Monopoly still! :D With the colour tokens. It gets the odd play now and then but I mostly just have it to look at it and love. I never knew there was a Gold and Silver Edition, that's really cool! I'd maybe be tempted by a Hoenn version, but otherwise I'm happy with my oldie :)

I'm pretty excited about this. I'm not sure I can go out of my way right now, but they're still neat and especially worthwhile if you're into monopoly. I never got to play a real, full game but I'd like to hope I could meet some cool dudes to play Zelda or Pokemon monopoly with in the future.

I also hope Gamestop throws in some extra goodies with this, but I have a feeling that since it's already so close to coming out, there probably won't be anything, but they have a good habit of defying logic when adding pre-order goodies.

I've been surprised by how excited people are for this since I've never played a game of Monopoly that didn't come to blows and don't really have good memories of it. ^_^ Hahahaha