• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

General Gaming Discussions

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Linkachu said:
I can't really say anything more here because I've already said everything I can. The things you're focusing on now aren't what I enjoy in my RPGs, plain and simple. XD

Then I guess you just have completely different tastes in how games should be played to me, and judging by sales figures, most other people.

Personally, I love the fact you can get far deeper into a character or game in Western RPGs, 'cos I've never found the characters to be all that engaging in JRPGs, and for the most part, both them and their worlds to all be the same boring cliches again and again. Even the JRPGs I liked, Final Fantasy IV, VII, Golden Sun and Pokemon, I kind of like despite what makes them JRPGs. Final Fantasy VI and VII have a nice pace, let down only by constant random battles and the ability to ignore the spreadsheet crap of stats and other nonsense by just picking the thing with the biggest number and going with that. Golden Sun is possibly the worst offender of every JRPG cliche ever, but it does have a good in-world gameplay mechanic and the battle scene was at least more engaging than most other RPGs of the time. Pokemon, I think I only really like because of the Pokemon themselves. The worlds are interestingly built, but only really properly addressed outside of the games in terms of manga or anime. Even then, until Black and White - which finally introduced some deviance to the formula, there wasn't much to distinguish the various games between eachother OTHER than the Pokemon available.

In none of those, do I find myself getting into the character of the person I'm playing as - especially since they never open their mouths. That, to me, seems like a huge flaw of what's meant to be a 'ROLE playing' game, and something that is succinctly addressed in most Western equivalents. I can take complete control of this character, I can shape them to my own style and sensibilities and I can properly experience this world built around me as if I'm actually a part of it - not just a spectator.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Nick Fury said:
Linkachu said:
I can't really say anything more here because I've already said everything I can. The things you're focusing on now aren't what I enjoy in my RPGs, plain and simple. XD

Then I guess you just have completely different tastes in how games should be played to me, and judging by sales figures, most other people.

Then I guess we do. This I already knew. ;)

Thing is though, I don't like many JRPGs these days. When I go back about 8-10 years and play older JRPGs that I missed, I do like them. It's hard to say which is worse: the repetitiveness people view in JRPGs now, or the fact that many of them just haven't been that good. FFXIII for example had some great points, but it has obvious flaws too that gamers have picked at - flaws previous FF RPGs didn't necessarily have. It seems like the quality of the games as a whole just aren't as good as they once were.

Last edited by a moderator:
WRPGs have NOT evolved in the last years. Its the same as JRPGs.
WRPGs had more choices from the start. Always been like that. Always sacrificed a solid narrative for that.
And really. The role playing has never been a part of RPGs. Its just a choice of design western developers decided to focus on after a while. Kind of like Japanese focused on telling that one special story.The core has always been the number based combat.

Only difference nowadays is that WPRGs actually become more playable and go into the action RPG direction, which really isnt bad, but then again, japanese action RPGs are superior in most cases imo.

And when was the last time when a WRPG came out that did not use the same old stereotypes?
Even the highly anticipated Skyrim looks like it is the same old we saw tons of times. Which isnt bad. thats what the fans want. Same for Final Fantasy. I dont see why that franchise should switch its main course too hard. There are tons of JRPGs that follow other themes if you just try to look for them. Shin Megami Tensei comes to mind, and certain titles like FFTactics or The World Ends With You and even Demons Souls, which is everything but your typical JRPG while still being one.

Also, they put in those random encounters because everyone was crying about FF13. They want their "old school" cred back by using old and inferior gamedesign.
This is bad imo. Square always pushed new stuff in their JRPGs. FF13 was new and people misunderstood a lot because it was different.
They should focus on adding new stuff into their FF games while keeping their dragon quest games classic.
Also, I think that the backlash just came from a few vocal people. FF13 sold over 5,5mil copies.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Gave Xenoblade Chronicles a go today.

Yup. It's definitely a JRPG. Overcomplicated plot, with a note-for-note standard opening, a confusing battling mechanic that's explained to you by walls of meaningless text rather than, y'know, a proper tutorial mode or anything and the blandest possible character designs.

For a Wii game, it does ok in the graphics department, but you really do have to wonder why they'd want to try making a graphically strong game on the Wii, rather than on a proper console, where they can do it right. I don't think it'd be possible to play this game at all without wishing it were on an Xbox or PS3 every time it tried to show off its (admittedly nicely designed... if fucking weird) world.

I honestly couldn't stick it for more than 30 minutes tonight. It was like playing every single JPRG ever made all over again all at once - just with an even more confusing and difficult to learn battle system. Might try again later in the week to see if the game actually manages to pick up and start being interesting, but right now the gameplay frustrates me, the plot bores me and the game design just makes me wish I could see it being rendered properly.

Some of the voices are cool (I like that they're basically all English actors. It makes a nice change), but some - like the 'bad' character in the intro have the most infuriatingly bad voices in the history of gaming. Well, ok, I think I could probably stand it more than I could live with the majority of Sonic Adventure's cast, but it's still pretty bad. I do give them credit for bothering at all - since most JPRGs don't, and most Nintendo system games either do not or can not.

So far, I don't think the Americans are missing much. Go play Final Fantasy for the billionth time and a bit of one of Namco's Tales games. Between them, you've basically covered all this game seems to have to offer anyway.

Nick Fury said:
wonder why they'd want to try making a graphically strong game on the Wii, rather than on a proper console

Monolith Soft is owned by Nintendo. Xenoblade is a first party title.

Combat is actually generic RPG threat stuff. The character who does the most damage draws the attention of the enemy. If you got the attention then you got a red circle around you. Everything else is just auto attack and using your skills right. Some require right positioning, like typical Rogue backstabs.
The guy from the intro with the fatass shield/blade thing is the obvious tank.

Its not really deeper than what you see in WoW or Dragonage. But its fast and thats good.

The game doesnt try to be anything but a JRPG. Its actually the only "real" jrpg out this gen, and this is what the fans wanted. This is also what most like about the game. Also the huge world. The japanese already call it the best JRPG this gen. This might be the truth.
It is the skyrim of JRPG fans.

Dont care about the voice acting, though I gotta say that Dragon Quest 8 used WAY better british voice actors.

Visuals are horrible, and everyone who has access to a Wii emulator should put his disc into his PC instead of his Wii if possible.

For me, the game itself is too big right now. I know that it will take a while to finish this which means that I have to set my mind to that. Been too much into online games with quick bursts of gameplay lately.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
So, everybody who's an eligible Nintendo 3DS Ambassador download their 10 free NES games yet?

Somehow I sunk 35 minutes into NES Open Tournament Golf yesterday, and I don't even like golf that much.

Yep. Would have preferred some non-nintendo titles like castlevania in certain cases but its cool. Might get that emulator card soon for all the NES games I want and already own as cartridges.

Finally put some time into Zelda 2. That game is brutal on many levels. I kinda like it but then again I dont.
It has many of the problems Castlevania 2 also had. Cryptic dialogue, grinding and waaay too much walking to extend gameplay time.
But I like the difficulty.

Also, the 3DS nes classics showed me that the 3DS has bad and too small buttons/d-pad. Kinda upset about that now.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Was rather enjoying Deus Ex until I fell face first into a game ending bug. Now my options are restart again and/or wait for a patch that may never come.

I wonder if GAME's return policy includes developer incompetence.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
o.O

It always amazes me when bugs like that happen. I get that some glitches can't be accounted for easily, but bugs that halt the player entirely? Just so wrong in a big-name release.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Ended up restarting and keeping about 3 different save files as a precaution.

At least I was able to get myself a clean save with the pre-augmented part completed with no kills. Will make it easy to make sure I get that achievement at the end - though my current run is doing pretty well in that regard. It's kind of a pity I haven't been able to make much use of my tricked out 10mm pistol.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Found this article involving Sony slamming Microsoft policies an interesting read.

A portion of the article:

"So potentially any time we've gone out and negotiated exclusive content of things that we've announced at things like DPS or E3, publishers are getting the living crap kicked out of them by Microsoft because they are doing something for the consumer that is better on our platform than it might be perceived on theirs.

"So from a creativity standpoint and what we are doing to try to make it better for the consumer, our view is Microsoft's doing everything they can to eliminate that because they have an inferior technology."

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
From a creative standpoint, it eliminates the chance that someone may be able to use the Sony hardware in a way that they may otherwise be able to. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad for the consumer. This generation, the consumer got to choose their hardware based on price, rather than the software available exclusively for it - because there weren't too many exclusives and most third party titles were pretty equal on both consoles. Sony feels butt-hurt because in a price war, the PS3 was the obvious loser, not because they feel people could have made better games. Especially since the actual PS3 exclusives really aren't showing us anything different creatively to what's available in third party stables anyway.

As a matter of business, it only makes sense for MS to want to keep things in its favour, and while it has the power to do that - it's going to. You'd be absolutely insane not to.

Overall, Sony wouldn't be making these comments if the shoe was on the other foot and the PS3 hadn't been a relative failure - and most consumers really don't give a shit because the level of software that has been available for both platforms equally has been triple A content. We're in a boom of fantastic software offerings right now, and MS's policy of keeping a (somewhat) level playing field is in no small part what has brought us here - because third parties are not having to waste time and development costs making hugely different titles for both systems.

Incidentally, on the subject of Deus Ex, another fantastic game exploding bug has reared its head in the form of stealth tranq. darts registering as killing your target, rather than knocking them out: there goes the idea of a stealth run then. I find it really hard to believe that neither of these issues came up in testing at all - I've experienced both in the space of a weekend on my third new file (though, the first restart was purely 'cos I didn't read the instructions for the DLC code and had to start over to get its contents). Either push the game back or have a patch waiting on launch day at the very Goddamn least. It's really not too much to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
They had a patch waiting on launch day. Although it might have just been PC; they fixed some rather crippling bugs that made the loading times intolerable and the mouse mostly broken.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... ed-for-3ds

.:14·17·57:. «~DoctorOak» I hate japan
.:14·18·03:. «~DoctorOak» Nintendo's previously teased pre-Tokyo Game Show "big reveal" is Monster Hunter Tri G for 3DS, according to online reports.
.:14·18·13:. «~DoctorOak» why is a shitty little monster hunter title a 'big reveal'? >=O
.:14·18·17:. «~DoctorOak» who gives a fuck

Goddamnit Japan. You and your crappy taste for interactive spreadsheets have taken away the one chance for a huge 3DS reveal of a game actually worth playing this year. You bastards.

Its one hell of a reveal.
A monster hunter for 3DS would boost sales extremely.Its one of "those" games in japan and its getting more and more popular in the west.
Most actually thought that the sequel would be on the Vita instead.

Capcom even said that they dont want to publish games on the 3DS anymore. But who knows.

I welcome it as I enjoy the series. Tough as shit gameplay with great boss encounters and no bullshit inbetween. The newest PSP one cut down on the grind extremely and doesnt require as much teamplay.

Dragon Quest X announced, forced online, fees in Japan.
Very bad trend.
Especially considering that you have to pay fees for a game that uses friendcodes. Must be a horrible experience. Its not even sure if that game is a MMO or just uses the same online feature DQ9 uses.

Right now I'm hyped about TGS. Usually more important to me than E3. Western games havent really entertained me since stuff like Max Payne 2.

Also, I heard that Tranqs kill if you shoot from close range. Not sure if thats the truth though.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I've shot from closer range and put them to sleep than the guy I killed with it. The forums have reported it as a bug a number of times, so I'm pretty certain it's not meant to happen.

Hopefully a future patch will work on existing saves. I have a save from the start of the 'real' game with no kills logged from the prologue (which is a -total pain- to do), so if I can use that save for a clean stealth run later on, when they've gotten around to fixing the game instead of being fail at teasing a way to extort more money from me, then aces.

I've tried two Monster Hunter games. One on the PSP and Tri on the Wii. Both were awful. Japan's bizarre tastes in what it obsesses over does not a 3DS earthshaker make. Even if we weren't talking the announcement of Pokemon games we know are going to get aired at some point soon, something that was actually moderately worth playing to people outside of Japan and their associated weeaboos would be nice. I sincerely hope there are more western-appealing games on the way over the next 365 days, and that Nintendo aren't just putting all their eggs into this one Monster Hunter basket.

I really think that Monster Hunter is glorious and one of the things that keeps good gaming alive. But thats just me I guess. You dont even need to grind to "finish" the game.
Monster Hunter releases always mean great profit in Japan. Especially on handhelds. And Nintendo itself cares a lot about its home market afaik.
We got the Marios and stuff like RE and MGS for the west.

The "problem" is just that handhelds dont have many western appealing games in general outside of the typical japanese games that are loved all across the world, unless its ports of already existing big console titles.
I doubt that you will see many western titles in the top 20 of PSP and DS games.
3DS will get the new Resident Evil which is close to the roots but with Combat that isnt full ass.
Other than that Portable systems have usually been known for either simple pick up & play games, turn based strategy (prominently japanese games) and JRPGs.
Those Japan-centric games usually sold systems over here too. Always was like then from NES days on actually.
The Vita is shown to have many western games in its pipe. Not very interesting imho as its a lot of the same old, but some actually get true sequels. So thats the way to go if one wants those western games I guess.

And really, appealing to western audiences is more of a negative thing nowadays.
Facebook integration, bald space marine, more shooting, more focus in Hollywood like cutscenes instead of gameplay and the glorious "we want to appeal to a wider audience" which is spreading around video games like some kind of disease.

This is one of the major reasons why Capcom is struggling nowadays with anything that isnt a fighting game.
This is the reason why the next big console Resident Evil game will be on the level of call of duty and this is the reason why we will get the train wreck that will be DmC.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Almost all of the games I've enjoyed over the past year or so have been western developed. Aside from Mass Effect, none of them featured space marines of any sort (and I'm pretty certain none of them have anything to do with Facebook). As for cinematic storytelling? Bring it on. I love that stuff. It's what gets me through wanting to actually complete the game.

Tomb Raider Underworld
Assassin's Creed II (I note this one since I'm being really slow with getting through the series - although I'm sure Brotherhood is fantastic)
Batman Arkham Asylum
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
Transformers: War for Cybertron
Deus Ex
Driver San Francisco
LA Noire
Mass Effect 2
Mortal Kombat
Fable III
Red Dead Redemption
Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Really, the only Japanese developed games that get a proper peek in are Sonic Colours (which, really, is a flub anyway since Sonic is really more a western franchise developed in Japan - Sonic's always been bigger here) and Nintendo stuff like Pokemon and Zelda. Even games like Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid stick so much to their established Japanese-development formulae that they now look like creaky old dinosaurs compared to what most western studios are putting out today.

Is it -really- too much to ask for anything on the level of quality of the games listed above to be present on the 3DS? The 3DS' power is more or less at where the PSP's is/was. It's fully capable of putting out a good gaming experience that doesn't rely on the slow, boring stat-obsessed formula that is tripe like Monster Hunter, so is it really that much to ask for Nintendo to bother getting the wheels turning and putting it out there?

Financially, tying third parties in with a game that will sell well all over the world is a far more sensible move than tying in a third party title that only a niche group will give a damn about.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Not that I care about the Monster Hunter series (really don't), but was Alex labeling it a "weeaboo" game? Because its fanbase has never seemed that way to me. :x

Dragon Quest. Now that's one series that rarely changes anything yet still continues to sell like crazy in Japan. Even I find it hard to get through those games. As for the DQ X: forced online, fees, but not a full-fledged MMO? That's just... weird. Doubly weird that they'd make such a game for the Wii. Wii U would probably be alright, but Wii's online service? ... I think I'll wait for the Wii U version, if not pass altogether.

Nick Fury said:
Even games like Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid stick so much to their established Japanese-development formulae that they now look like creaky old dinosaurs compared to what most western studios are putting out today.

Is it -really- too much to ask for anything on the level of quality of the games listed above to be present on the 3DS? The 3DS' power is more or less at where the PSP's is/was. It's fully capable of putting out a good gaming experience that doesn't rely on the slow, boring stat-obsessed formula that is tripe like Monster Hunter, so is it really that much to ask for Nintendo to bother getting the wheels turning and putting it out there?

Financially, tying third parties in with a game that will sell well all over the world is a far more sensible move than tying in a third party title that only a niche group will give a damn about.
Something like Metal Gear Solid actually adopted typical TPS gameplay with enough cutscenes that would make a movie thats longer than Titanic (which many didnt liked, because hey, its supposed to be a game).
As for Resident Evil, thats the new one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltPfjojOYeg
Cant get more american than this. Except for maybe adding a bald eagle into each background.

And then again, I really dont know what is so new ,great and innovative about western games except for forfeiting gameplay time for cinematics (but the japanese have been guilty of that too of course with JRPGs and Metal Gear)

And Monster Hunter IS quality. Gameplay like that isnt common anymore and its polished as hell.
The focus really isnt put on the stats as you make it out to be. The primary thing is the skill. The way how you approach the enemy and how you take down the dragon. This isnt the case in many games anymore with something like autosave after each step holding your hand.
The gear and stats themselves, while being actually optional, are just there to make the fights easier and to customize your playstyle.
Giving players the option to turn every boss enemy into a full set of armor and a weapon is actually a pretty cool and popular feature.

Its not like a typical RPG where you HAVE to grind to beat the evilbad.

And really, slow and boring? Did we play the same game? Monster Hunter is basically Boss rush: the game.

I wouldnt say that a "game" like LA noire is a better quality product than any MH game released so far.

But thats all opinions.
What isnt opinions is that MH Freedom Unite for PSP sold 4million copies in Japan alone and 1,3 million copies in the rest of the world.
This is a lot considering that MH Freedom Unite is basically a game like Platinum or Emerald as it adds content, but doesnt qualify as a real new game.

They can actually rely on that one game selling in Japan only. And considering how game starved people are over here with their 3DS, this might actually get more people to try this series out.
5million copies sold would put it right below Dragon Quest Monster 9 (another game that sold 4mil copies in japan and 1 mil in the western world), the best selling third party DS title.

ALSO, lets not forget that this is all a rumor and that Capcom is actually not ok with the Monster Hunter sales on the wii, so its still in the air. We already didnt see the last Monster Hunter game in the west because Capcom was suprised that games in the past didnt pull call of duty level of sales over here.
The fact that the rumor was spawned on 4chan doesnt help either. Many people on that site are biased as hell.
Right now many on that site advocate that there will be a 3Dless 3DS out that will add a second anolog stick. This is just weird wishful thinking.

Anyways, this is one of those games that just got hinted at, and I heard rumors about 9 games in total being revealed for the 3DS, one of which might be a new RPG from the Xenoblade makers.

Not sure if they only announce games that are completely fresh or if they'll go into games that got announced already but not released like lets say Tekken 3DS and that non-special ops influenced Resident Evil game.

I really think that the Vita will be more of a handheld for you.
Stuff like Bioshock, Mortal Kombat and assassins creed got already announced as an example. And I bet that a tomb raider will follow sooner or later.
Many of those big name games from the west will most likely appear on the Vita.
It was kind of similiar with the PSP. Uncharted Vita basically shows that those "triple A" console titles can work on it (same with God of War on the PSP back then), while all the 3DS had to offer was a remade version of a N64 classic.
I think that those western devs will go for the Vita.
And I welcome it as I plan to get one.

Linkachu said:
As for the DQ X: forced online, fees, but not a full-fledged MMO? That's just... weird. Doubly weird that they'd make such a game for the Wii. Wii U would probably be alright, but Wii's online service? ... I think I'll wait for the Wii U version, if not pass altogether.
While this is kind of the topic: Monster Hunter 3 already had online fees in Japan, but they didnt put them into the western games because they knew that this would completely ruin the chances for any sales for a series that is just slowly gathering fans in the west.
DQ10 might follow that as its similiar (though with no forced online in MH, just fees for online usage afaik.)
Makes me wonder if theres japanese people who play on US/EU servers for free through proxies.

WALL OF TEXT. SO MANY WORDS. WHY ITS 6 AM.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Just a note, but western development /=/ American development. In fact, the majority of the producers of the best western developed games are Nordic or Canadian. The Brits get a bit of a look in, but without the tax breaks developers and publishers have been lobbying for, the development culture here is dwindling away - getting swallowed up by bigger studios like Squeenix gobbled up Eidos, or just fading away altogether like Bizzare Creations.

In short, they provide games that are fun and engaging to play. I don't play games for the challenge, so games that rely on some fake 'skill' to be mastered to be able to play it at all are not fun. As for Monster Hunter, I gave it a go on the PSP and literally played for over an hour doing nothing at all. There was no activity at all outside of talking to bland NPCs and fiddling about with gear and stats and boring shit. For an hour nothing happened in that game. At all. That's just a fucking disgrace.

Dont know if its the majority but I'm aware of developers outside of America.
Even Poland does a game or two every decade.

Well you should understand that a game that requires a bit of dedication does not equal a game that is not bad just because you do not like games like that. Many play games only for the challenge because thats what games have been about from the start in many cases. Its very good that titles like that coexist with games that are on the lighter side that provide easy throw-away entertainment.

First 1-2 hours of MH are the tutorial. Get to know the village, then gather some herbs. This is required because you will actually spend some time in that village. After that you go off to kill your first monsters.
You could actually directly set out to kill monsters, but yeah. Doing the tutorial helps a lot.
Game is kinda known for a slow start, but dropping the game directly after one hour before even finishing the Tutorial and doing what the game is about (hunting monsters) and then completely looking down upon it isnt fair at all.
Because fact is: It is engaging and fun to play. With a bit of dedication and with people maybe having to try the same boss 15x before they can take him down.Thats where the fun comes from.
And of course it reinforces the multiplayer aspect a lot which is pretty big on handhelds since Pokemon.

But we're really just arguing about opinions right now and there's not much reason to.
I actually understand why many people dislike what Monster Hunter is but that doesnt make the game in itself bad. Its just one of the last of its kind and its good that it lives on.

We really have to wait for TGS.
Nothing is clear and I seriously got my doubts about a 3DS Monster Hunter game as I expect one on the Vita.

HAHAHAHA HOW WRONG I WAS
http://a.yfrog.com/img738/6853/jmmzj.jpg
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/0 ... 3g_update/

Monster Hunter 3G (G means that its the finalized version of the third gen of Monster Hunter which is cool) AND 3DS analog expansion confirmed for 3DS.

Now we got some discussion material.

Lets disregard MH now.

3DS Analogstick #2:
Opinions?
I think its interesting and an improvement. It makes the 3DS fat but I dont really care much about that.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
What a joke of an accessory. I sincerely hope it doesn't spread beyond Monster Hunter. If you're going to slap that monster of a peripheral on the system, you could at least use it to increase the battery life or something - not just to add another analog stick circle pad.

The worst part of this reveal is that it gives credibility to the concept of a new 3DS version being revealed and released next year. I'd like some games to come out so I can actually get use of my 3DS before I have to go out and spend another £200 on another one.

It actually made me wonder if there isnt maybe a battery inside.

And that thing doesnt look like it will work with the 3DS charger.
Its a shoddy solution that doesnt make it look that great.
But I actually welcome dual sticks. Playing 3rd person action games without 2 sticks is a pain in many cases. This enables titles like Assassins Creed and Devil May Cry control-wise without odd crutches.

Also, it seems to be super optional.

Take a look at this picture:
drrrrrr5vuu0.jpg

It has an emulated d-pad on the right side of the touch screen. This might be the solution for future titles that would work like that (?).

I really cant see that nintendo forces this kind of stuff in the future, but what this peripheral REALLY shows is that Nintendo made some major mistakes and that they show them by throwing stuff like that on the market so fast.

I know that 2nd stick will actually improve sales though. Many wanted the Vita just because of dual analogs.

[EDIT] Some moonrunish translation, might be wrong:
about the peripheral
>the screws on peripheral might be for the peripheral batteries instead of a way to mount the 3DS. The way to mount the 3DS is still unrevealed.
>there are L2 and R2 buttons.
>will still requires to remove the peripheral for changing game cards

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Nick Fury said:
Just a note, but western development /=/ American development. In fact, the majority of the producers of the best western developed games are Nordic or Canadian.

[me=Linkachu]salutes the Canadia flag. :'D[/me]

>will still requires to remove the peripheral for changing game cards

What now? I hope that translation isn't saying what I think it is. I read about the accessory this morning and like it in theory, but having to remove it simply to get at the game inside the 3DS would be a hassle.

Edit: I take it back. Now that I've had the chance to look at some magazine scans, the add-on looks butt-ugly. Totally takes the portability out of the portable. :x

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Who wants some good news for the 3DS from TGS?

"A Yoshi side-scroller and a new entry in the Ace Attorney series are among the games Nintendo plans to show off at its Tokyo 3DS showcase next week, so says a reported Japanese leak."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... 3ds-report

A new Ace Attorney game makes it all better.

Unless Capcom are FUCKING CUNTBAGS and don't localise it. 'COS THEY HATE MONEY.

But, outside of that, ACE ATTORNEY 5.

Yoshi side scroller better be on the level of yoshis Island. The last few were bad.

And I expected games and not words with pictures with a shouting lawyer.

Personal highlights:

>New Monster Hunter exclusively for 3DS with support for online play (the online feature is BIG news)
>New Yoshi side-scroller from Kirby's Epic Yarn developer Good-Feel (kirbys epic yarn devs isnt really a good sign)
>New game from the developer of WarioWare
>A new God Eater title, which will also launch on PlayStation Vita

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
*Pokes the edit she made to her previous post* :x

Looks like some nice stuff is going to be shown off at TGS after all. Like Alex, I just really hope that all of the goodness (especially Ace Attorney) makes it outside of Japan. >_>

If the Yoshi title is anything like Yoshi's Island, I'll definitely be picking it up. Epic Yarn might have been easy as hell but the graphics were gorgeous and the gameplay itself was pretty unique. As long as this Yoshi title is actually challenging, it should be pretty nice.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
All I've read from that list is "3DS is due for a ton of shit releases." Monster Hunter? Ace Attorney? YOSHI!? None of those games appeal to me in any way, shape or form, and I'm glad I haven't bothered buying the console yet.

Nick Fury said:
As for Monster Hunter, I gave it a go on the PSP and literally played for over an hour doing nothing at all. There was no activity at all outside of talking to bland NPCs and fiddling about with gear and stats and boring shit. For an hour nothing happened in that game. At all. That's just a fucking disgrace.

My experience with Monster Hunter was exactly the same. Biggest and most pointless waste of time ever, and the worst game I played on the PSP by a mile. Pretty much every MMO in existence provides the same experience except far more interesting and fun...yes, even FFXI, and that game was horrible enough as it is.

King of Lucario said:
My experience with Monster Hunter was exactly the same. Biggest and most pointless waste of time ever, and the worst game I played on the PSP by a mile. Pretty much every MMO in existence provides the same experience except far more interesting and fun...yes, even FFXI, and that game was horrible enough as it is.

I still think that one shouldnt dismiss a game that is about bossfights before facing the first Boss.

ANYWAYS!

Nintendo Conference soon. Its about the 3DS. It happens at 11PM. Though I have no idea in which timezone. I will keep the stream in the background and when it turns on I will watch it I guess.
www.ustream.tv/channel/nintendo3dsconference2011

Hope that its more than just what we already know.

I really want TGS to happen right now. Want to hear from more developers.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Fumanshu said:
I still think that one shouldnt dismiss a game that is about bossfights before facing the first Boss.

Being incapable of keeping my attention long enough to reach the first boss is just sad on the game's part, so dismissed.

As for the 3DS announcement, the only things drawing my attention to the console at the moment are Star Fox and SSFIV, which isn't enough to make me shell out money for it yet. Hopefully we'll see some interesting new developments.

Someone took the effort to make a chart for when the 3DS conference starts:

North America

Monday, 11:00 PM, Eastern Daylight Time
Monday, 10:00 PM, Central Daylight Time
Monday, 9:00 PM, Mountain Daylight Time
Monday, 8:00 PM, Pacific Daylight Time
Monday, 7:00 PM, Alaska Daylight Time
Monday, 5:00 PM, Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time

Europe

Tuesday, 4:00 AM, British Summer Time
Tuesday, 5:00 AM, Central Eastern European Summer Time
Tuesday, 6:00 AM, Eastern European Summer Time

Australia/New Zealand

Tuesday, 3:00 PM, New Zealand Standard Time
Tuesday, 1:00 PM, Australian Eastern Standard Time
Tuesday, 12:30 PM, Australian Central Standard Time
Tuesday, 11:00 AM, Australian Western Standard Time

Here we go.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well, that was certainly a very Japanese event, then. Oh well.

I'm not surprised at the revelation that Resident Evil and MGS were pushed back for this silly analog nub thing. I am disappointed that two of the games I was actually interested in getting will now force me to buy that ridiculous thing. It's actually enough to turn me off both.

Fire Emblem is uninteresting, Monster Hunter is even less so and the only giant transforming robots I'm interested in go by the names of Autobots and Decepticons (and maybe Maximals and Predacons), not Gundams.

Lots of disappointing game reveals this week, basically. Really hoping we get word on that upcoming Pokemon 3DS title soon so I can begin looking forward to a good title for my underused, under-analog'd little system. Y'know, before Nintendo decides I have to spent another £250 on a new one next year.

Monster Hunter 4, old style Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest Spinoff are big things.

Then there's Animal Crossing that I might finally try out as I never got into the series before.

Kid Icarus showed some gameplay elements that I didnt knew about. The game looks very interesting. And something like Fire Emblem should be a way to kill time too.

And of course Paper Mario.

Mario 3DS is shaping up to be the best Mario game in a while. Its actually the first Mario game I'm hyped about since Mario 64.
Mario World and 3 Visuals and level design, combined with strict linear platforming in mind is what the series needed. The collect-a-thon design always bugged me.

Very good conference. Overall better than the whole E3 event imo. MH4 reveal is BIG news, especially with the platforming that they seem to introduce. Though it looked odd that you actually run from monsters that typical Hunters are capable of dispatching alone.

The Tekken Video made me laugh. I love the Ono/Harada shenanigans that have been happening lately since the anouncement of SFxT and TxSF. I actually expected a SFxT or TxSF reveal for 3DS but yeah. Just Tekken.
I doubt that the 3DS has the power for SFxT and TxSF. The Vita already struggled with SFxT gameplay demos and showed some framerate dips.

Lotsa super japanese-centered stuff like Love+ which was creepy as hell and the Miku game. But yeah, it was a japanese show. They like that I heard.

Also, Luigis Mansion looked like it has horrible framerate dips. They better fix that.

The expansion is a good thing. The 3DS is way too small and doesnt fit into my manly bear hands well. And 3D action games with no 2nd stick arent good.

I took someones advice and put my 3DS into the charger cradle thing and now I play with both things in my hand. Its nice and bulky now.

Anyways. Tomorrow we'll see the Sony conference. Thats something worth checking out. Nintendo pulled out the big guns to show that the Vita will actually have heavy competition by the time it comes out. We will have to see what Sony has to offer now.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Looks like I can hold out on buying the console for another 6 months if that's all they have to offer.

That said, it took god-knows-how-long for the original DS to bring out games worth playing, so it's probably a given that the 3DS will deliver eventually.

...and I do stress "eventually."

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm personally pretty excited by half the games they showed off at the conference. I don't have time to rewatch the show right now (assuming it's even possible), so I'll just comment on stuffs I'm reading about on gaming websites.

First off, I'm glad this Fire Emblem reveal was more than just a rumor. The series is easily one of my favourites for non-PC strategy games, so it'll be great playing a new one on the 3DS. It better make it across the ocean. >_>

The name of this new Square Enix RPG is ridiculous, but I'm interested to hear more about it. I'm just very skeptical these days of games like this seeing global releases. It's pretty sad that we need to worry so much honestly.

September 28th release for Four Swords, eh? Looking forward to that one. Having a new single player mode sounds cool, too.

Mario Kart 7 with a first person mode? That's kinda odd... but I'm interested to check out how it'll play with the gyro controls. I'm also liking that the cart customization features, specifically the tires, aren't just aesthetic. Glad I'll be able to play this one over the winter break.

Kid Icarus Uprising officially delayed then? Not that surprised by this news nor overly upset by it. I've got enough to play between my consoles/handhelds this quarter anyways. :p

Super Mario 3D Land still has that stupid name. I was honestly hoping they'd change it, but guess it's too late for that. Oh wells. November 13 release in North America. Already got it pre-ordered, lol.

Now news about the circle pad add-on. Approx. $15-20 in US isn't bad, and I'm glad it's not a huge battery eater. I still think the thing is fugly and hate that it covers the game slot, but it does support one game I'll be getting for sure: Kingdom Hearts 3D. ♥

I'm not seeing much about Paper Mario and Animal Crossing 3DS right now, but I heard they made appearances? I'd like to know if they've been given any sort of release date whatsoever, because they're probably two of the games I'm anticipating the most for 3DS.

I guess that's about it, minus these Monster Hunter games I have no interest in. Good stuff. Just need release dates and confirmations of what's hitting NA and what isn't.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Well I've had since 8:30am to think over all these games and I'm still not 100% sure what I think. xD Animal Crossing and Paper Mario needed a date set already as those are two of the games I'm most looking forward too.

Two Monster Hunter games seems a little over the top to me but I'm guessing it's a very well loved series (I've never played it yet nor heard much about it), so I'm guessing this move was to swift more consoles.

Mario Tennis is probably one to watch as I do enjoy playing tennis in real life so I'll no doubt end up getting this game. xD

Super Pokemon Rumble and The Legend Of Zelda: Four Swords both got release dates set today so I was over the moon to hear that, Rumble is just in time for Christmas while Four Swords is a little later then I'd like but at least it's got a date at last!

Fire Emblem I've never played before so that's interesting me a bit at the moment and so is the Square Enix RPG (although it has an insane name). So really quite a few things interested me, saying that a lot of the stuff I might come to hate it's very early stages and I can change my mind on a game up until it sees a release.

Like my thread had no replys (XD God how a bad thread) I decided to talk about touhou here.... Well, touhou is one of my favorite games (because is fun, addictive, and whatnot) I'm not so good at it but manage to finish the game on normal very well. I currently have touhou 7, 8, 9 10,and 11.
I think thats it for now :3

Sony conference was sad.
I really expected something but got nothing.

Here's the stuff I remember:

-FFX port for Vita for the 10th anniversary
-MGS collection and something MGS related for PSP
-Another Y's
-Another Katamari (cool)
-SFxT, Blazblue, MvC3 for fightan fans
-Ninja Gaiden Sigma port
-God Eater 2 (miteBcool)

Also lots of Facebook integration and social networking stuff.
Pretty bad. I didnt even see big sequels. Just ports and remakes.
They also didnt drop any bombs like the Monster Hunter announcement yesterday.

Nintendo won E3 and TGS.