• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What don't you like about Generation Five?

I've noticed alot of people bashing one thing or another about generation 5 ???. I kinda don't see anything wrong with it. but what about yoy guys? I think this generation is one of the best. Soooo what do you NOT like?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the typings were rather wasted.

Or not explored enough.

The ever popular starter typings are my biggest and pretty much only irk though. They had so much potential :( but they had to make them boring typings...

Jeydis said:
Some of the typings were rather wasted.

Or not explored enough.

The ever popular starter typings are my biggest and pretty much only irk though. They had so much potential :( but they had to make them boring typings...

I know, right? I expected the starters to be fire/dark, water/fighting, and grass/psychic...that way there'd be two trios with double-damage...plus daikenki even has a shell katana (or something like that) D:

And there were other typings they could have made...like wargle could've been fighting/flying instead...

Oh, and another thing that pissed me off was they STILL didn't make a dark-type gym. >:(

Other than that, and the fact it's not in the US, I find it really awesome and amazing. :D
(Though I have yet the chance to actually play it myself. XD )

pokemonmaster100 said:
I dont like that you have three rivals :'(
Really? I thought this was a great improvement. o3o
The more rivals, the more exp you can get. XD

Yoshimitsu said:
Fire/fighting.

Fire/fighting everywhere.

^ This

Although I really like Gen V as a whole because it fixed many of the issues Gen IV had--mainly the problem of having way too many legendaries and evolutions for old Pokemon compared to the rest of the dex, there are a few minor irritants. The aforementioned THIRD fire/fighting starter line is probably my biggest complaint. It's like, remember how we complained about having three rock type first gyms? Why did you go and give us three fire/fighting lines? And speaking of, why did we get our third 7th Ice gym and second 8th Dragon gym and STILL no Dark type gym at all? That's just trolling now. I also dislike that you can't rechallenge gym leaders this time around.

Gen V also seems to have an abundance of Gym leaders/E4 members with really ugly designs: I'm looking at you Pod, Corn, Arti, Yacon, Renbu, and Adeku. Shikimi was really trying to have a good design, but then they put that ugly black thing around her neck and made her sprite oddly cross-eyed. Lady Gaga reject and Fuuro really need to put on some clothes. I only really like Aloe and Shaga's (yes, even with the beard) designs and the rest are just...okay.

2 of the things have already been mentioned (fire/fighting starters, no dark gym) but I'm surprised nobody mentioned this one yet... pokemon can't follow you anymore.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Navycook75 said:
2 of the things have already been mentioned (fire/fighting starters, no dark gym) but I'm surprised nobody mentioned this one yet... pokemon can't follow you anymore.

It's because no-one gave a flying fuck about it enough to care about it being removed.

My biggest issue with Gen V is the gigantic level-jump between the final battle against Geechisu and the post-E4 stuff. You're Lv.50-55 by the time you beat Geechisu (or, you should be anyway) and some moron decided it'd be a fantastic idea to make everything post-Geechisu Lv.65+. Great idea, except for the part where you're required to grind those 10 levels that they seem to have expected you to just pluck out of nowhere. Guess no-one told them that grinding sucks ass and being forced to do it for reasons such as this constitutes EPIC FAIL.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Slightly less of a problem when you train something that evolves at an obscenely high level anyway. (hugs Ulgamoth)

I had several issues, mostly re: certain typings. The starters, for example. Pure grass, pure water and FIRE FIGHTING AGAIN ARGH. Daikenki had great potential for being Water/Fighting, but never got it. Another thing that should have happened and didn't re:types is Wargle. That thing would have made a perfect Fighting/Flying, a type combination that I personally would have loved to see - and it would have worked so well with its version counterpart being Dark/Flying. Would have required a minor change in its learnset to be really effective, though - I mean, would it have been so hard to shunt out useless shit like Defog and Whirlwind for, say, Close Combat and Seismic Toss, or the ability to learn Brick Break? The fact it is male only while Vultina is female only is also nine kinds of stupid, at least. And speaking of types, we had some pretty interesting typing potential windows that were blatantly missed: the Gothlolifail line could have made an interesting Psychic/Dark, for instance, rather than another pointless pure psychic.

The TM distribution in this game also borders on fucking ridiculous. The actually useful moves you can only get past the point in which they would be particularly useful to you. The fact they're continuously reusable is a nice touch, but that's about fuck-all useful if they aren't accessible, and sadly, they fucking aren't - especially when some PokeMon (such as, say, Choroneko/Lepardas) have godawful learnsets which relegate them to pretty-lawnmowers-and-little-else status pretty damn quicky. Also would it have killed them to give Gobit/Gorug the elemental punches or indeed anything else that could benefit from their potential Iron Fist ability? Such a waste of potential. Siiiiiiiiiigh.

Also, the important NPC cast in this game are certainly the weakest design-wise the series ever had, even if some of them make up for it with unintentional (or sometimes intentional) hillariousness and/or badassitude. The lack of gym re-challenges also saddens me (Aloe needs her fucking Buffalon. Seriously.) although, come to think of it, the first two versions of a generation NEVER have gym re-challenges, and the feature is always added in the third version, so we'll obviously see those in Gray (or whatever they'll name the third version of Generation V).

Otherwise, as ever, certain PokeMon are way too late-game to be practical (I am looking at YOU, Kuitaran! X_X) and the new EXP distribution system renders level-grinding even more annoying at times (which can be a huge damn nightmare if you're trying to raise a PokeMon that takes a while to reach its true potential, such as Merarva/Ulgamoth or godforbit Monose/Jihead/Sazandra - although the free Lucky Egg certainly helps!). Some animations for gen 1-4 PokeMon are utterly fucking terrible (YES, MAGMAR, STOP FLAILING YOUR ARMS LIKE A RETARD PLEASE).

Also, I am seriously waiting for an explanation re: Kyurem. Seriously. What are we betting this thing gets a new forme or two come the third version, having to do with the its two hidden signature moves, Cold Flare and Freeze Bolt (which appear to be linked to Reshiram's Blue Fire and Zekrom's Lightning Strike)?

Yeah. I have my fair share of complaints and grievances, but Gen V is still for the most part quiiiiiiiiiiite awesome ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
King of Lucario said:
Navycook75 said:

It's because no-one gave a flying fuck about it enough to care about it being removed.

Actually, lots of players adored it. The majority just assumed it wasn't included in BW because (a) the games were made around the same point HG/SS were (thus that feature wasn't technically 'removed'), and (b) it was to keep HG/SS more special.

Just wait. I'm sure we'll see that feature used again sometime in the future.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I think that people who use 'gay' as a negative denominator need to be hung in the town square as a warning to idiots.

Also, I forgot to mention one of my most major grievances about this generation: Archeos' horrendous ability. It is COMPLETELY unwarranted and cripples the poor thing to the point of uselessness. ;-;

StellarWind Elsydeon said:
Also, I forgot to mention one of my most major grievances about this generation: Archeos' horrendous ability. It is COMPLETELY unwarranted and cripples the poor thing to the point of uselessness. ;-;

AianZakery said:
I dislike that there are too many fighting pokemon and almost all of the flying pokemon suck, in my opinion.

Well, the only ones that don't are washibon and family.....BUT im getting black so nooooo washibon for me. ;_; and the others..... no comment.

The typings of the starters, and it looks like I'm not the only one thinking so...

Snivy, could have been a grass/psychic perhaps? And Mijumaru could have been a water/fighting.

I was VERY Disappointed in the designs of some Pokémon (A.K.A The steel ant.. honestly). I hated how some Pokémon where look a likes from previous Generations (A.K.A Buffuron the Tauros Look-a-like). Also, like everyone before me said I was very angry with the fact that the fire starter again got a secondary type of fighting, honestly!! Not only that some of the typing in my opinion didn't even make any sense! Lastly, i hated how they didn't introduce any branched Evolutions all because they want to give Unova a kind of Kanto feeling... *sigh* I was hoping for some eeveelutions in Generation V.

Apart from this I loved Gen V I even brought the Japanese (which is a first) even tough I know no Japanese what so ever... So i did like this Gen quite a bit just those couple things made me a bit disappointed.

Edit:I take back what i said about barely anything to do...
Edit: Thanks for telling me forgot double posting is against the rules sorry... (didn't mean to break rules)

Shaymin :) said:
Not only that after you complete the main storyline there is barely anything to do!!
Post-storyline is when you can start to build some teams and use the endless wi-fi options to battle.

What don't I like about Gen V? Apart from the lack of ice and poison type Pokemon, nothing really. This gen has got pretty much everything right in my books.

Shaymin please don't double post. It is against the rules.

Anyway, I like this Gen, except for Maybe the evolution levels. Seriously, Level 50+ evolutions? No no in my book.

Shaymin, have you even heard of Black City/White Forest? There's a ton of missions to do there, as well as all the High Link stuff to boot. BW is far from having little to do post-game.

The only thing I dislike about BW is that Emboar is Fire/Fighting. That's it. Everything else, I can either live with or love.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Stamgalaki said:
Shaymin please don't double post. It is against the rules.

Mini-modding is also against the rules.

It'll be a warning next time.

Stamgalaki said:
Anyway, I like this Gen, except for Maybe the evolution levels. Seriously, Level 50+ evolutions? No no in my book.

I like the fact that they're that high in a way. It makes it more of a challenge to raise those Pokemon.

I don't like how the starter is Fire/Fighting again, like most people. I see it as Fire/Dark with the black coloring. They had so much potential, but meh. That's all I can really say about the games because I haven't played them yet and can't really judge something that I haven't experienced firsthand.

I don't like that you have to specifically trade Kaburumo and Chobomaki, but...it is interesting.

Other than that and the lack of good flying-types, I absolutely love Gen V.

As many people have said, the starter typings have been a major disappointment. Being a fire/fighting starter enthusiast myself, I LOVED Blaziken, thought Infernape was okay (Preferred Steel penguin though), but Nintendo, Seriously, THIRD TIME IS NOT THE CHARM THIS TIME AROUND! [/rant]

They could've made Mijumaru or Tsutaaja (that's right, I'm still using japanese names) be a tad cooler with extra types.

Wenrare said:
It's still 2D battles with animated sprites.

I wouldn't put that down just yet. We still haven't seen what the battles look like on 3DS, where they may be a nice blend between 2D and 3D.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Sandile said:
Wenrare said:

I wouldn't put that down just yet. We still haven't seen what the battles look like on 3DS, where they may be a nice blend between 2D and 3D.

Adding to that, we're sure to be be getting a full 3D game on the Wii (or the next Nintendo console) that'll look better than 3D on the DS ever could've. The 3DS would be a different story, but these aren't 3DS games.

Considering that some of the 3D models look hideous though, I find it hard to condemn the sprites in comparison. I personally appreciate having both. :X

Linkachu said:
Sandile said:
Wenrare said:

Adding to that, we're sure to be be getting a full 3D game on the Wii (or the next Nintendo console) that'll look better than 3D on the DS ever could've. The 3DS would be a different story, but these aren't 3DS games.

Considering that some of the 3D models look hideous though, I find it hard to condemn the sprites in comparison. I personally appreciate having both. :X

Some of the PBR models. Seeing as the game hasn't even been announced yet, they might well be putting in much more effort to bring it up to the standards of Stadium 2 and improve the character models.

StellarWind Elsydeon said:
I think that people who use 'gay' as a negative denominator need to be hung in the town square as a warning to idiots.

Sorry but I was just stating my point ... And I don't mean gay as an offensive term to homosexuals .
I mean gay as in that isn't right or it's weird .
If you don't get it, then fine .
I'll be glad to change it for the sake of homosexuals .

EDIT:
I personally dislike the new English names for the Gen. V Pokemon . Like "Chillarmy" sounded more appropriate instead of Minccino .
And "Klink" doesn't even sound as catchy as Gear .

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
What I don't like...? Well, the main thing is people complaining for no good reason (especially about the names, both when they first came out with the Japanese and again with the English names), but I suppose that's not really the point of this topic. :p

Obviously the continued use of Fire/Fighting for the starter was annoying, as were the underwhelming typings of Oshawott and Snivy's fully-evolved forms. And of course the lack of the Dark type Gym that we all have been clamoring for for quite a while. :V

Other than small things like that, I'm pretty much liking everything that I've seen from this Gen thus far. -^^-

SSJ4NarutoCharizardKing said:
Obviously the continued use of Fire/Fighting for the starter was annoying, as were the underwhelming typings of Oshawott and Snivy's fully-evolved forms. And of course the lack of the Dark type Gym that we all have been clamoring for for quite a while. :V

I see Oshawott's evolution as an Ice type and Snivy's as a Dark, myself. I agree. I like the dual types of the evolutions. They usually were original only to that Pokemon. (Except the Fire types of course D:< )

NinetalesRaider1 said:
I personally dislike the new English names for the Gen. V Pokemon . Like "Chillarmy" sounded more appropriate instead of Minccino .
And "Klink" doesn't even sound as catchy as Gear .

The trouble is, they couldn't really leave it as Gear, because it is a couple of gears. It would be like calling Vaivanilla "Ice-Cream" or Kuitaran "Ant Eater".

569.png
584.png

BURN. THEM.

Other than that, I really like Gen V. Apart from the fact that it doesn't have any decent Flying types other than Shinbora (Which I can't have because I'm using Musharna).

Luckii said:
569.png
584.png

BURN. THEM.

Other than that, I really like Gen V. Apart from the fact that it doesn't have any decent Flying types other than Shinbora (Which I can't have because I'm using Musharna).
I agree with you on burning the garbage monster, but why the double scoop ice cream cone? I love the ice cream cone even though a lot of people think it's 'uncreative'. It has pretty good stats, it's not horribly ugly and it's an Ice cream!

That's very true! Gen V didn't bring barely any good flying types that was a huge disappointment! Although there is always Wargle. ;D

I love Generation V. Except for One thing: Everytime a new Pokemon game (w/ new PKMN) is getting ready to come out, I research the new Pokemon and learn about their moves, stats, etc.
And it takes quite a while to search all those new Pokemon >_>

But other than that, I'm surely excited for B&W

Toastie said:
Linkachu said:
Sandile said:
Wenrare said:

Some of the PBR models. Seeing as the game hasn't even been announced yet, they might well be putting in much more effort to bring it up to the standards of Stadium 2 and improve the character models.
PBR disappointing me that you couldn't rent the pokemon like stadium 2...

And I hate these english names >:( I don't mind the stupid fire/fighting thing, mainly because I only eer start with water (Generation I and II as an exception.)

I found a thing i don't like about black and white. braviary and axew's names.... ;_; ina my opinion, wargle sounds better, right?

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Animefan1 said:
I don't mean gay as an offensive term to homosexuals .
I mean gay as in that isn't right or it's weird .
If you don't get it, then fine .
I'll be glad to change it for the sake of homosexuals .

If you don't get how using the word "gay" to mean "that isn't right" or "it's weird" is offensive to gay people, then you deserve that hanging in the town square that Stellarwind threatened you with.

Also, please note that anyone bitching about the Gen V English Pokemon names from this point onwards will get a warning/banning as appropriate. We (the mods) are sick of it!