• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Weekly anime discussion - you bet your ass there's spoilers

Woo for Gary's return, especially with cute little shieldon's... His electivire didn't seem as badass this time unfortunatismo, *shrugs* maybe I'm just used to it now... =/

I didn't think shieldons were that small :D And was Gary always taller than Ash? Nice episode anyway, Hunter J's a fine villain, at least better than other side villains like those Alien Fanatics...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Other than that there wasn't really much to this weeks episode, unless you like seeing Ash getting shocked a lot... Well, ok I do :p

Am I the only one then who thought it was awesome that James and Meowth betrayed Jessie? I only just watched the Eletrike episode, but I personally loved it XD I'm also happy to see some real breeder stuff out of Brock, especially after our earlier discussion concerning it :)

I'm still three episodes behind, but hopefully I'll be caught up by tomorrow (if not the next hour and a half).

Edit: The Mismagius episode was totally fucked up, but it totally owned, too. Major Highlight: TR "blasting off" repeatedly. It hurt from laughing so hard XD

Editx2: Yeah... Hippopotas was just as cute as you guys made it sound >>; Another nice episode. Just the Gary one left now, but it'll have to wait until after I get back from work...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I got up at 5 to 6 in the morning to watch this episode before going off to be with Rachel for a weekend.

It was TOTALLY worth it.

*Fanboy*

Is it just me, or is Masukippa even more useless than Victreebel? (actually, victreebel was very useful during Johto) It hardly seems to come out, actually most of TR's comic relief POkemon don't show upp as much, Mime Jr. and Wobbufet seem to pop out of their pokeballs less...

As for "Driftloon on the Wind," of which I've never seen before in any language, I'd just like to say...

Of course, I think a better question is why they all have to same name, but the answer is quite simple: They don't. Joy and Jenny are there family names, and we just don't know what their given names are. A lot of them breed, but never marry. While others may marry into other families, some of them don't take their husband's name, but as for the rest the name "Joy" and "Jenny" are so associated with them that this is simply what everyone calls them and they don't bother to argue with it.

I called it!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Is it just me, or is Masukippa even more useless than Victreebel? (actually, victreebel was very useful during Johto) It hardly seems to come out, actually most of TR's comic relief POkemon don't show upp as much, Mime Jr. and Wobbufet seem to pop out of their pokeballs less...

I dunno. To me, I think Carnivine pops out just as often as the rest of TR's battling Pokemon do - when TR actually is the antagonists. There are many episodes in D/P where they either 'blast off' too soon to engage in a battle, or aren't the main antagonists at all.

I definitely agree on one thing, tho. Mime Jr. isn't showing up as often as it used to, or isn't doing much notable when it does. Kinda reminds me of Togepi in that way. Once the cuteness of it was exhausted, people - including the creators - just stopped caring. Wob on the other hand is still coming out after every TR motto speech, it's just not really doing anything aside from standing there. Wob never really did do much, tho... probably because every time Jessie actually DOES use it in battle, things just turn horribly wrong. I mean, more horrible than usual XD

The Pokemon of theirs we really should feel sorry for is Dustox. Some people had forgotten Jessie still had it at all because of its severe lack of appearances XD

The thing about dustox is, Jessie never uses it very well in contests, and now that may isn't in contests with her beautifly there's such a low chance of a Beautifly vs Dustox showdown that theres not much else it can do. Really there's no legitimate way they can get rid of it short of Jessie giving it to someone else or accidently trading another pokémon.
Personally I'd like to see James with a pokémon that doesn't completely mess everything up for him, it was funny the first few times James got bitten by his victreebell, but thats it as far as im concerned, I'd like TR a lot more if they'd actually battle properly again, Jesse generally fights properly with Seviper, but thats about it, and to be honest, Seviper was written in to replace Arbok. Lets see James with a Cacturne that doesn't try to hug him every time it comes out of its ball, i'd be happy then!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno. To me, I think Carnivine pops out just as often as the rest of TR's battling Pokemon do - when TR actually is the antagonists. There are many episodes in D/P where they either 'blast off' too soon to engage in a battle, or aren't the main antagonists at all.

I definitely agree on one thing, tho. Mime Jr. isn't showing up as often as it used to, or isn't doing much notable when it does. Kinda reminds me of Togepi in that way. Once the cuteness of it was exhausted, people - including the creators - just stopped caring. Wob on the other hand is still coming out after every TR motto speech, it's just not really doing anything aside from standing there. Wob never really did do much, tho... probably because every time Jessie actually DOES use it in battle, things just turn horribly wrong. I mean, more horrible than usual XD

The Pokemon of theirs we really should feel sorry for is Dustox. Some people had forgotten Jessie still had it at all because of its severe lack of appearances XD

Very true. I actually forgot about Dustox until you mentioned it.

A Cacturne would be a welcome evolution for James. After all, he's the more accomplished trainer between him and Jesse (case point being the Flying Pokemon contest in Hoenn and the time he thought he was a flaming moltres in Johto.)

Now that harley is in Johto its a lot easier for them to write in a cacnea evolution without having cacturne overkill. (Although personally I don't think there could ever be cacturne overkill short of an entire desert filled with them)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well, it wouldn't have made for a very threatening scene if the most they could do is blow a bit of wind at Ash and co.

The anime is pretty good at taking liberties - especially with Pokemon attacks. Though, it has to be said - they've been a bit better with it over the past couple of years.

Well, it wouldn't have made for a very threatening scene if the most they could do is blow a bit of wind at Ash and co.

Under that logic, it would've made more sense if those Combee were firing Poison Sting instead. I mean, Vespiquen can't learn Psybeam, either.

Anyway, I think that "COMBEE used Psybeam" may one day become an internet meme.

Among ridiculous attacks, the prolificness of ice attacks and shadow ball among wild pokemon seems ridiculous as well.

On the whole Psybeam issue, it could very well be the Vespiqueen's psychic energy being channeled through the fragile little combee minds of her minions....

It was probably just a dubbing issue like in hoenn on that episode where the shiftry was using sleep powder and all the characters were saying stun spore.
When the anime does stuff like that, just laugh at the idea of all the 5 year olds that will start training their male combees in hopes that they'll learn psybeam =)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Anyway, I think that "COMBEE used Psybeam" may one day become an internet meme.

I honestly don't think many people will be bothered. I know I didn't even think about it until you brought it up. It's not something as obvious or prolific as "Aim for the horn!", so I really doubt we'll hear much about it after this.

On the whole Psybeam issue, it could very well be the Vespiqueen's psychic energy being channeled through the fragile little combee minds of her minions....

That would make sense if Vespiquen actually had psychic powers, but she doesn't. It's the moths and butterflies that are telekinetic bugs around here...

I honestly don't think many people will be bothered. I know I didn't even think about it until you brought it up. It's not something as obvious or prolific as "Aim for the horn!", so I really doubt we'll hear much about it after this.

Then, never mind...

So apparently Beedrill aren't true bees, otherwise they'd form some part of the hive. Actually, it's odd they didn't make it here considering most Wild Pokemon are seen with Natural partners...maybe getting chased by beedrills was already way too predictable.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Beedrills are wasps. Their name is a complete misnomer - but it's apparently deliberate (or at least they've done the reverse as an in-joke on the fact) as the Vespiquen - which actually IS a bee - is named after a wasp.

Beedrills are wasps. Their name is a complete misnomer - but it's apparently deliberate (or at least they've done the reverse as an in-joke on the fact) as the Vespiquen - which actually IS a bee - is named after a wasp.

hehe I thought I was the only one who noticed that irony.

So, with Cheryl having left the group, I wonder if all the other partners will make appearances. If they ever do a Heatram movie, that one guy might also come out. Apparently the presence of a 4th character (Todd, Max, Cheryl) wasn't working out very well with the viewers since a party of 3 (Brock/Tracey being the big bro, knowledgeable in most aspects and the provider, Ash being the hero, and Dawn/Misty/May being the sensitive,feminine third) seems stable enough, and also the aspects of having 18 pokemon on their party must be difficult to animate. Although I wonder if Team Rocket will build up a party of their own or keep on releasing/trading off their old Pokemon for new ones.

Ah yes, I forgot about her...It is difficult to incorporate a long lasting relationship (3 or more episodes) with a character, since Ash and co. are used to saying hi and leaving shortly...

With regards to the title of future Japanese episodes...

The Tears of Chimchar

Actually, the situation seemed pretty obvious from the very beginning. Paul gives up on Chimchar and Ash adopts him. He later becomes Infernape, defeats Paul's Pokemon and returns to him with Paul having realized what Tru strength is....

Gardenia and Cacnea! For whom is the Farewell

Dare I believe, James huggable little Pokemon goes bye bye?

Discuss. D:>

The thought occurs that perhaps this is just a manifestation of Vespiquen's "Attack Order" technique.

As for "Gardenia and Cacnea! For Whom is the Farewell," maybe James just gets separated from Cacnea, who somehow gets adopted by Gardenia. Then, Team Rocket barges in during the gym battle and Cacnea joins back up with them, much to James' relief.

Chimchar may not be released by paul in tears of a chimchar *hasn't seen any promo shots so is only speculating* there is a chance that it will just evolve in that episode or something. I'm hoping it will be like that at least as Ash having 2 starters again will just get messy, I just hope if Paul does give away chimchar its not adopted by Brock, that'd be horrible, I think Hoenn showed that Brock having a starter doesn't work too well as his role is pretty much just to be a big-brother type character. Although it could be worked into the anime that chimchar will be an incubator for pokémon eggs or something, I wouldn't put it past them :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Chimchar is released by Paul, at the very end of the episode - previous to that he turns his back on it during battle and allows it to get attacked - Ash gives it an attack to counter with and saves it, then after Paul releases it, he offers it to come with him.

Cacnea is confirmed as leaving with Gardenia, by the way.

And then after that, we have the very likely trade of Buizel and Aipom. These team changes seem to occur in groups a lot this series - so it's probably safe to assume that Dustox is soon to be getting the boot at last.

Dear lord, their treating their Pokemon like regular gamers now....

Well, I hope Cacnea's replacement is a decent one, or hopefully Masukippa shows more prowess than it did at the beginning of the series.

http://www.serebii.net/anime/characters/ash.shtml
And so Ash now has a water type and a fire type...and thus his team is seemingly complete...I really think they'll end up together, ever since Paul revealed his Torterra...

Damn, I wish he hadn't got that chimchar. I mean ok it fits in with the nature of Paul and Ash, but still, second fire type starter that he adopted...
I mean ok there aren't many fire types in sinnoh, but still a magby for magmar vs electabuzz would have been way cooler!
Shame cacnea leaves, although the hugging James did get a bit old really...

I don't see why Ash would trade with Dawn though, it accomplishes very little at this stage in the series... I mean ok I don't like buziel so I'm ever so slightly biased, and yeah I like Aipom very much... If he traded for Piplup then i'd be really let down to be honest...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The Buizel/Aipom trade is pretty well confirmed by the latest episode title.

I dunno why, but that trade almost seems too soon to me. Hikari caught Buizel fair and square, and even if she can't handle it well it creates a path for character development. Seems like a waste giving it up after being with it for so few episodes. I guess the writers just want to get Aipom where it should be so Ash won't be tempted to participate in contests anymore, and Buizel was an easy out.

And now... I have five Japanese episodes to catch up on ^^;

Edit: It just hit me that we should soon be due a new intro song, so chances are they wanted to get all these trades done right away in prep for it XP

Edit x2: Just starting the tag battle segment, but damn... I can't believe Dawn lost the Appeal round o.o

I swear, I felt the same anticipation for those results as her, and when it showed Jessie's face instead I just stared at the screen in disbelief for a few moments. The fact that they did that is really cool tbh, but it was still surprising. I guess with only one episode set out for the contest, though, it was expected that she'd lose somewhere... especially with Zoe and that harp guy in the same competition =o

Someone tell me how Jessie's silly appeal was better than Dawn's xp

Edit x3: Shinji just reached a brand new low for being a heartless bastard... and my god is it frelling awesome to see in the Pokemon Anime of all things XD

If our assumptions are correct, then Ash will have a water, fire and grass type; due to trading with Dawn.

As much as I dislike the anime, I have to admit; I like the fact they're treating pokemon as regular gamers would.

I don't even think that it would be necessary for Ash to have a Water-type at all. He's already beat the only Gym in Sinnoh where having a Water-type would be of any use.

I wonder what will happen if the anime continue in this trend. Ash's Pikachu learning Grass Knot? Awareness of the "Attack Nature" split? More Earthquakes and less Hyper Beams? Item-Based strategies?

I don't even think that it would be necessary for Ash to have a Water-type at all. He's already beat the only Gym in Sinnoh where having a Water-type would be of any use.

I wonder what will happen if the anime continue in this trend. Ash's Pikachu learning Grass Knot? Awareness of the "Attack Nature" split? More Earthquakes and less Hyper Beams? Item-Based strategies?

There's a fire user in the Sinnoh Pokemon league and Ash usually challenges the Pokemon league.

Those all sound like great ideas. I mean, Ash taught Pikachu Iron Tail; so grass knot would be great type coverage. They're already working on the item-based strategies and IIRC the 'Attack Nature' stuff is already in the works. Garchomp uses Giga Impact rather than Hyper Beam, etc.

I like the way the way the producers are thinking on this series of the anime.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe it's just me, but even the battles themselves seem a lot more inventive and fresh this season. I'm not that sure about Pika learning Grass Knot, but I'm quite sure it'll be gaining some new attack this gen. Maybe Discharge or Feint?

Oh. Feint WOULD be a good one, especially since Elekid kept using Protect during their original battle. It also seems like they've been using those no-damage defensive moves in D/P A LOT more than usual...

it learning feint would be pretty funny though, as Ash has such a good ability to predict what move his opponent will use...

Ash - Pikachu use Feint!

They're already working on the item-based strategies and IIRC the 'Attack Nature' stuff is already in the works. Garchomp uses Giga Impact rather than Hyper Beam, etc.

I was thinking more of the lines of the Choice Items, Toxic/Flame Orb and Leftovers. And may I remind you that Paul has a Weavile with Ice Beam and Blizzard. That means they haven't been focusing on the Attack Nature Split enough.

(woop 201st post!)

I quite liked the tag battle finals, Chimchar sitting on Ash's shoulder may have been foreshadowing that it will fulfil that role now that *sob* Aipom will be traded, or maybe it was just Ash showing off to Paul about it but at the same time, it just didn't look as good as Aipom up there!

Paul's Elekid evolving was pretty cool too, they're building up for him to get an Electivire obviously, anyone else want to see an Infernape V Electivire clash at the Sinnoh league? Cause I sure as hell do!