• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Weekly anime discussion - you bet your ass there's spoilers

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah! Ash never caught a Ghost-type [size=4pt]Ash's Haunter doesn't count.[/size]

And pardon me for being rude but: [size=15pt]I WANT TO SEE SHINJI'S MURKROW!![/size]

Want me to take a picture of Shinji's Murkrow for you? ;)

Cute avatar btw.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Well, it just that the opening showed Shinji with a Murkrow and he hasn't captured one yet. Just an Ursaring and a Stantler.

Heh... I've just been assuming that Murkrow is a Pokemon he already has on him. I didn't actually consider that he may catch it in the show later on - until now, that is ^^;

I don't think I care much for this whole idea of 2 episodes at the same gym, once for Ash and once for Shinji... It could get very repetitive, especially when Ash starts failing miserably at gyms again.
In fact Im pretty much hating Shinji as a character and wishing the writers wouldnt make him a difficult rival for Ash, especially seeing as Ash has come in the top 8 at 2 regional competitions...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I wouldn't jump to conclusions. I like that they finally made an episode like this (being someone who enjoys Shinji's role), but I find it highly unlikely that it'll happen every single Gym. For one thing, it only happened this time because Ash and Shinji ran into each other. Nice to build their relationship and Shinji's character, but not necessary to repeat in the future.

Personally, all I could think was how it felt like an RP plot X)

Shinji could have been done a lot better by not making him a newbie trainer. If he had travelled to Shinou from Johto or something first it would be better in my opinion, oh and pikachu shouldnt lose to the elekid ever.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Just because he's only starting his journey doesn't mean he's a newbie. It's pretty evident from his actions that he's probably grown up with Pokemon - maybe in the same level or even moreso than Gary did - and knows exactly what he is doing. His father is rather quite likely to be someone who was/is a powerful trainer too and forced Shinji into being who he is.

I've said it before, but Shinji is very much Silver 4 years late and like Silver (Who's father was Giovanni, hinted in the games and blatently stated in the Pokemon Special manga) it can be expected his past isn't that dissimilar.

Well, I got around to seeing "Overjoyed" this morning and "UGH!" Registeel's voice was just so lame. WHY COULDN'T THEY USE THE VOICE FROM "LUCARIO AND THE MYSTERY OF MEW"?! ARSEUS'S CROSS! WHY DID REGISTEEL'S VOICE HAD TO BE DUBBED SO BADLY?!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
YTV just aired "Pasta La Vista" yesterday/today, and it was fairly good... Holds nothing on the latest Japanese episode, though. For a battle that Ash ended up losing, it was pretty dang awesome. Zugaidos is an awesome battler, and the Pikachu vs Onix battle... w00t for Lucario BGM! That music alone made the match.

Can't wait to see the rematch =)

And lol @ Mukkubird's reaction for not being chosen.

I can't believe Ash lost at the first gym... Thats just sad.... They better be going somewhere with that...
Hehehe Mukkubird didnt get chosen, Ash is already preparing to get rid of it... ^_^
Ok so being too hopeful about that one... But seriously, if they're going somewhere with the gym, lets hope its not leading to his next capture unless its a skunk. Even though it would be completely useless in that gym...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I see a pattern myself. He lost at the 3rd Gym in first season, 2nd Gym in 3rd season, and now the 1st in 4th (not counting his other random loses, ie. 8th in Johto, the loss to Blaine, etc.)

In all reality of the Pokemon world, just because it's the first Gym doesn't mean it's going to be a pushover or the easiest. I don't think they're necessarily going anywhere with it but having Ash re-evaluate his strategy, though. They also wanted to build up the Ash-Shinji relationship. For Shinij being the cruel jerk he is, Ash was still acting like a hothead.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
As I said on Bulbagarden, it's really obvious Ash only lost 'cause he spent most of the battle focusing on giving the fingers to Shinji instead of focusing on the battle. He only started getting into it properly by the time Naetle came onto the scene - at which point he'd already lost Aipom and knackered Pikachu against Zugaidos.

Also, it is really rather fair for Zugaidos to have put up such a problem for Ash - as someone who has fought the bastard myself can attest to. I remember breezing through Onix and Geodude with no problem at all (and why would I have a problem? I've been beating those guys for years) but along comes Zugaidos and it brings down my leading Pokemon, smacks the crap out of the next and leaves me just scraping past with a win.

It is a pretty tough beast to come up against, especially if you're not really that prepared for it.

Well, I got around to seeing "Overjoyed" this morning and "UGH!" Registeel's voice was just so lame. WHY COULDN'T THEY USE THE VOICE FROM "LUCARIO AND THE MYSTERY OF MEW"?! ARSEUS'S CROSS! WHY DID REGISTEEL'S VOICE HAD TO BE DUBBED SO BADLY?!

It might have been just me, but I thought it sounded like it hadn't been dubbed. I'm certain I heard it say "Rejisutiiru" (pardon my Serebii), and assumed they were using the same voice as in the original mix. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't often watch the Japanese versions.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The voices used in the Japanese episodes weren't the ones in the movie either - so it probably is the Japanese voice used in the dub.

I didnt have much of a problem with Zuigados in the game actually... But then again, I started with Naetoru which made it a lot easier.
Hmm, Im actually quite interested to see where this leads Ash this time. I somehow doubt Shinji will stick around to see Ash's next battle, or that he will care that Ash wins next time, but hopefully the story will branch out to Shinji losing a battle to Ash in the future, say around the Shinou league...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
XD

Hikari took down Aerodactyl, after everyone else got pwn'd by it. That's just... lol. I definitely wasn't expecting something like that to happen.

Next episode should be a good one. I wanna see Rampard's true power, and Ash's clever strategy to kick its ass =)

Its a shame the researcher caught aerodactyl... Id really have loved for ash to get a prehistoric pokémon actually... it'd be damn cool to see...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, "The Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing" ended the debate on how to pronounce "Sinnoh" once and for all. It's pronounced "Sin-no", not "Sine-no" as I was expecting. And seeing that episode made me want to see a series of side-story episodes showing May's adventures in Johto. I mean, we got to see what Misty was doing while Ash was in Hoenn. Why can't our eyes be worthy of seeing how May's doing in Johto while Ash is in Sinnoh?

So it's pronouced "Sin-oh?" (As in, the "seven deadly sins" sort of "sin"?) GOOD. It's how "Shin'ou" is pronounced. I'm happy for them. ^_^

It always made me cringe when I heard people rhyme it with "rhino." o.0

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Ahh... A nice, clean victory, and by Naetle too boot. I can't help but love that thing more every time I see it. Something tells me that I may be going for both Hikozaru and Naetle the first time I play through Diamond (one way or another)...

More Lucario BGM. It really does make the battle seem that much more awesome. And Together finishing it off... Squee.

I think its great that Ash used the same dodging technique as Hikari throughout that battle, and she's still keeping up with her peppy attitude. Already I like her more than May. Not sure where she'd stand compared to Misty, tho...

Pikachu vs Onix was great - again. Heck, even Aipom shined out there. The entire battle did a great job at showing how much more focused Ash was this time 'round without Shinji on-looking. He actually took the time to THINK :p

As for the next episode... ZOMG. Pachirisu IS bloody cute O.O But crazy playful, rather like Skitty. Possibly even worse than Skitty. Hikari keeps getting stuck with these humorous captures... not that I'm complaining ^^

Not a bad gym battle actually... Lets see how long it takes Ash to keep his cool with Shinji around...

Hikari getting pachirisu... Seems interesting to say the least.. Ok I admit it... I like that idea... Pachirisu is so cute it deserves some airtime...

Upcoming episode about strongest magikarp and most beautiful feebas.. Seems promising for next shinji captures... Id love to see him with a Gyarados actually...

Man, "Pinch Healing" had deja vu written all over it! Ash and friends looking after injured Pokemon, a Bagon with dreams of flying and a Carvanha-infest river, SHEESH!

Anyways, just four more weeks until we the debut of Elecable! ;D

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
AND GARY.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I haven't watched the dub since like the Grand Festival. I should probably DL the last AG one though... GARY. :D

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Heh... well this is just annoying.

After YTV FINALLY reached the Battle Frontier saga, they restarted Advance Battle... so here we are, back on the bloody road to Mossdeep. Yay.

There goes one of the things I look forward to watching most each weekend >>

Yeah...when IS the last episode of Advanced Generation? I haven't watched the dub in like, ages, but if we still have cable by the time it rolls around (we're canceling it soon-ish), I'd like to watch it again...

Does anybody know what time it airs on Cartoon Network? And what episode is up next? And I live in the Pacific time zone...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Check out here: http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/pokemon/index.html

That should contain most of the scheduling info you need. As for what's up next (ie. tomorrow's new episode), it appears to be "Gathering the Gang of Four". They're getting pretty close to the end of Battle Frontier now, but, since I don't get or follow CN, I dunno what's been stated about the premiere of the DP saga - if anything.

Edit: The newest Japanese episode was very cute and fun, just as I figured it would be. The next episode looks rather cool, too.

Can't wait to see how they edit Hikari's latest capture into the intro =)

I watched the dub today... it was the episode where Phanpy evolves... I just have to say... I hate the new dub voices so much.... Like really hate... =(

In other news... Pachirisu is too cool... ^_^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Heheh... The latest DP episode in Japan was just as good as I figured it'd be. The first real 'dark-ish' DP episode of the lot, AND the villain got away! I like where this could lead =)

Next episode... Well, what can I say? The series has pretty much delivered one good episode after the next, so even if the upcoming one involves Magikarp and Feebas, it'll still probably be fine. Can't wait until the first appearance of Team Galaxy...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well, Jessie's finally won a contest.

Not an official one or anything, but she won it - fair and square too.

In fact, she kicked Pachirisu's ass.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
That was the greatest episode ever. I may be a bit biased, though, because it was funny as heck and I'm STILL laughing just thinking about it.

Jessie finally winning, with Ash's Pokemon to boot. Lol. That's one for the books ;D

it does seem strange that aipom actually worked with Jesse, but hey at least now shes not a complete failiure.... ^_^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Just watched the latest in Japan.

Bippa is a bloody cute Pokemon - possibly moreso than Zigzagoon, and I love that thing XD I was half-expecting the Bippa with the bandage to evolve, but would that have been too predictable even for Pokemon standards? ^^

My final thought on the episode is how the heck did the TR trio get those shovels to stick like that? Steelix is, well, STEEL o.O Are we supposed assume that they found three crevasses in its hide to get them wedged in? 'Cause I'm not sure I fully buy that :p

When I saw "A Chip of the Old Brock" this morning, I saw that one of the lines changed!

I that episode, Max originally says "Mud Shot is an Earth-type move". Now it "a Ground-type move".

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Two filler episodes for Japan this past week, but both had their moments. I screamed out "RAICHU!" when it appeared in the first episode, and Roserade looks so freakin' badass in that second one... Rozorro indeed XD

Ending got a remix and animation update, too. Me likes. I was wondering when we were going to get a new one...

And since I'm on a picture kick this morning, Raichu being awesome, Rozorro, and new ending group shot:

[attachment deleted by admin]

That new group shot looks pretty good actually, although Dustox does look very out of place, I don't know how much longer it will last.
I really do like Aipom now actually, its cuteness has finally overwhelmed me, ambipom however is less cute so I dont know how long ill like that for :p