• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Weekly anime discussion - you bet your ass there's spoilers

Paul's Elekid evolving was pretty cool too, they're building up for him to get an Electivire obviously, anyone else want to see an Infernape V Electivire clash at the Sinnoh league? Cause I sure as hell do!

And I would too. I just want to see Infernape in battle. A Magmortar v Electivire battle would have been nice as well but it would be satisfying to see Paul get beat by the Pokemon he dumped. I don't see the problem with having more than one starter on a team so Ash getting an Infernape would be the hotness. However that does dash my hopes of Ash getting a Gallade or Lucario. :p

I haven't really been keeping track of the anime lately but its been sounding really good. Buizel does seem like a better match for Ash personality-wise. Dawn never quite looked right with it any way.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The only thing I wonder about Ash having two starters is whether or not one of them will start getting more treatment development-wise than the other. I know it's a big fear of a friend of mine (he knows who he is), but I can see where he's coming from. It'd be great to see Ash with both Infernape AND Torterra, but chances of that happening are starting to seem slimmer by the day.

If we start seeing a repeat of previous sagas, I'm going to feel very let-down after the evofest Hoenn was =/

Ash, up until Hoenn, has never really devoted his time to using each and every Pokemon in his Party, but the quick evolution of Staravia tells me we may be seeing a Final stage for Chimchar or Turtwig.

Turtwig is logical since he's Ash's first Starter, and has garnered a fair amount of experience from battling with Ash for so long. However, if Ash's attnetion switches over to Chimchar, I predict he won't go as far as a Grotle by the end of the Sinnoh Saga.

If by some way, Paul realizes his mistakes midway through the series, and not at the very end in a league battle, there's a good chance he'll take back Chimchar (who'll probably be a monferno by then)

And while we're at it, let's consider the evolution of Piplup....

I personally don't think Piplup is going to evolve any time soon, mostly because of Dawn's inability to heighten its potential...

Yes but May completely ignored Torchic until it became combusken, so its quite likely they'll do a similar thing, especially seeing as Buziel was a good excuse for Dawn to ignore Piplup for a while, she'll probably trade Buziel then a few episodes after will start using Piplup more, leading to it evolving, however I can't see Dawn ending up with empoleon just cause it doesn't suit her at all.

I know that the writers don't use them very often because of the opening credits etc etc, but I'd like to see more evolutions happening at a more varied pace, we seem to get lots around the same time then none for ages.

With Ash's current team roster I'd like to see his turtwig and chimchar evolve at least once before the 5th gym however I don't see his staravia evolving too soon. And I'm still stumped on what his last pok

lol, considering Buizel is one of my favorite Sinnoh Pokemon, I'm kinda glad it ended up with Ash, now he has room for whatever Pokemon he wants considering he has the 4 basic elementals and a flying type...

Although I'm also disappointed that they just threw away the whole "Aipom really likes Ash" arc, considering Aipom went through all the trouble of going to Sinnoh with Ash, and he happily accepts being traded, although its probably due to Buizel's need to learn more Battling Attacks and the fact that Aipom still travels closely with Ash.

On the subject of Ash's 6th, I do hope he aquires more than 5 Pokemon and has a changing Roster. It would also be nice to see him with a Pokemon Egg, Dawn as well. And while they won't likely get a bunch of pre-evolved Pokemon on their team, it'd still be nice to see Dawn and Ash care for an egg in the same manner as his Phanpy and May's Eevee.

Also, I get the strabge vibe Dustox might end up with James 8P

Although I'm also disappointed that they just threw away the whole "Aipom really likes Ash" arc, considering Aipom went through all the trouble of going to Sinnoh with Ash

And what about that brief "Buizel bonding with Dawn" plot? I mean, Dawn just learned to tame Buizel and she traded it away a few episodes later. Talk about anti-climatic...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I have a few things to say on the 'trade' matter, mostly in response to a lot of the complaining I've seen about it at... other places...

I highly, highly doubt the trade of Buizel to Ash and Aipom to Dawn was a simple spurt-of-the-moment decision the writers made just because people were complaining. Most likely, this was always the plan from the very beginning, they just wanted a good excuse to get Aipom to Dawn. Yes, Ash could've just given Aipom to her, but this being Pokemon were trading IS a key aspect of the games - and now with WiFi trading and the GTS being hot topics - they probably wanted to promote this in the Anime, too. Trading between good friends. It's both a first for the Anime, and it worked nicely under the circumstances. Maybe the episode wasn't uber sappy like some people wanted, but this wasn't meant to be a sad farewell to begin with. It was a trade for the Pokemon because they themselves wanted it, and both Dawn and Ash understood that. Maybe Zoey's comments were the straw that broke the camels back, but she certainly wasn't the only factor in the matter.

I'm actually a bit surprised at all this Zoey hatred around the Pokemon community because I've always liked her and enjoyed her addition to the cast. So she's stubborn about the whole "you shouldn't do both gym battling and contests" - how many of us don't have personal pet peevs? Besides, she has a nice friendship/mentorship with Dawn, and she's an intelligent battler.

But yeah. I can't wait to see what Ash's 6th Pokemon ends up being. I'm biasedly holding out for Riolu =)

Oh and one thing I'd like to say about Ash's battle with Gardenia: The idea didn't cross my mind at first, but know thing that there should've been focus on Leaf Storm's getting-weaker-the-more-its-used. Remember when Ash was battling Flannery? He won that battle because Flannery had her Torkoal use Overheat far too much.

I don't have any problems with Zoey actually, I think its pretty good to have a rival for dawn that also helps her, basically what drew bacame to may.

Still annoyed aipom is now dawn's though. Lets look at the facts.

Aipom is cute, and was a really cool addition to his team.
Ambipom would be really cool to see used in the Sinnoh league
Ash failed to capture Buziel.
Floatzel is fugly

Yes ok so im heavily biased as all of you know cause I hate buziel, still I feel let down. Stupid Dawn!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The thing is that you can play the facts of Pokemon the other way, too, so either argument holds up. Maybe that's why I've just accepted it instead of getting annoyed... that and the fact that Dawn's existence in the Anime at all proves just how predictable/commercial the show can be ^^;

As long as both Ash and Dawn can both improve on the Pokemon in ways the other couldn't I'll be content. I know Ash failed to catch Buizel, but somehow that always felt gimmicky to me anyways. I mean... he shouldn't have lost... and yet he did, for plot purposes. Now hopefully he can make up for that silly blunder, and Aipom can show off its mad skillz =)

PS. RLRL, I think Floatzel is kinda fugly, too ;)

Usually, Ken Sugimori does justice to the Pokemon with his sketches, but with Floatzel, I wasn't so sure. (rather than a sea weasel, it looks more like a cross between a clown and a dolphin)

I'll admit, Aipom would have been a nice Pokemon on Ash's team, if not better than Buizel, owing to the predictability of Ash needing a Water Type on his team. Aipom was a significant addition to Ash's team, and I don't really think I can be readily comfortable of the idea that it's with Dawn. Although I like Buizel (actually, not buizel in general, just Ash's) I wish Aipom would still be on his team.

I had a thought about Aipom and Buziel whilst driving back from birmingham today.

People have said about how they'd like to see them learn something from the other trainer that would make the trade worthwhile, I'd say that means we'll probably see Ambipom turn up soon as that would be dawn's contribution to Aipom by teaching it Double Hit.
What ash can do for Buziel other than have it use Aqua jet and water gun all the time is beyond me though unless he also evolves it, which i doubt will happen cause it removes the cute stigma that exists around buziel.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a double-evo on us and evolved Aipom and Buizel in the same episode (although, I'd be equally accepting if they didn't). Like you said, as Buizel it can't really advance - aside from learning Agility and Razor Wind - but as Floatzel it'll gain Ice Fang and Crunch, too.

Floatzel in the Anime would probably get Sceptile syndrome... Even if it isn't as great a design compared to the previous stage (and the in-game Floatzel back sprite is horrible x.x), it'll end up awesome simply because of its battling ability. I doubt I'm alone in my dislike for Sceptile design-wise, but Anime Sceptile was definitely an advancement worth seeing.

That said... I also didn't like Mime Jr. originally design-wise either, but now I love it for the Pokemon ^^;

I'll admit, Aipom would have been a nice Pokemon on Ash's team, if not better than Buizel, owing to the predictability of Ash needing a Water Type on his team.

In the end, I'm just happy Ash didn't end up getting a Piplup =o

ehhh im excited for the new slew of episodes...theres not much else to watch since the office got yanked. im also excited that my ds can finally go online again!

i hope ash catches something reeally random...like a bronzor or something...those things are weird

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
... Well, obviously you are a newb, seeing as you just double posted. Warned. Read the rules and follow them and it wont happen again, and use the edit button next time.

Welcome back to Pokeyman! ^^

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The previews for the rest of this year's eps are awesome. Especially the Unown and Rentarawr eps. Looks like Hikari's contest will take place over Christmas, so I hope they air it all in one go instead of having to wait 2 weeks for the Christmas break before getting to the conclusion...

Bit of a pity we wont see a third year in a row where the Christmas episode involved a new Pokemon addition to the squad (Eevee and Snorunt previously), but I guess we're had enough team changing for now. We just really need to get rid of Dustox and give Jessie a new bloody Pokemon...

I only recently noticed this now, but are they planning to change the Opening anytime soon? It just strikes me as odd that Buizel has more time in the Opening credits than Chimchar does. It might also hint that Chimchar is not a permanent addition to Ash's team.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I only recently noticed this now, but are they planning to change the Opening anytime soon? It just strikes me as odd that Buizel has more time in the Opening credits than Chimchar does. It might also hint that Chimchar is not a permanent addition to Ash's team.

I'd say a new intro should be arriving soon, but I think the only reason Buizel got edited in and Chimchar didn't is because they had to edit out Aipom (and Buizel took over Aipom's spot on the team).

How many episodes is there usually in a set per intro, and how many have we gone so far into D/P? (*Is too lazy to check for herself*)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Guess that basically means Regigigas is going to get a shitty role in the film, unless they decided not to use it at all. I dunno why, but I was kinda hoping they'd actually develop a decent plot around it verses it just being there like the Regis in movie 8 :p

Edit: And from the looks of that bright glowing in the next episode preview, Aipom evolution next week! =D

So I guess there wasn't much to say about the Probopass and Luxray Episodes?

I for one, didn't know Probopass could do all those things with its "arms" Providence Gundam ftw. I also thought that Probopass, up until recently was some sort of Street Cleaning vehicle or Bulldozer...

And on the Luxray episode, which I haven't seen yet...was that a young Jenny/Junsa dressed in a Luxray costume? Also, based on the screens I saw, it seems they redid the 1st episode for that flashback, making pikachu more slim like it is now, instead of the round ball of electricity it was then.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Team Galactic shows up in the contest episode today, which does, indeed, involve Aipom evolving. Incidentally, Dawn continues to PHAIL LIKE A PHAILZ in the contest and loses in the appeals round again while Jessie wins with DUSTOX...

Incidentally, there's a rumour floating around from one of next month's episodes featuring Gliscor and Gligar that Jessie may be picking up a Gligar - but take it with a pinch of salt for now.

That was pretty fast for an evolution, just think, if they hadn't released DP yet and aipom had evolved imagine the reaction it would have had!
Moving swiftly on, I hope that Jessie doesnt get a gligar, I have this bad feeling it'd still get zapped all the time.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
What were the writers thinking?

That you shouldn't get over-confident just because your Pokemon evolved? ^^

When I originally heard that Dawn lost AGAIN, I was fairly pissed off. Now that I've actually seen the episode, I'm quite amused by how everything went down. Jessie did AWESOME. I'mean, that appeal was definitely her best, if not one of the most original the series has seen yet. It's kind of nice that she finally won an official ribbon, too.

I'm still torn, yes... And I really, really hope that this late Zoe meeting near the end of the episode - which gave Hikari the kick in the pants she needed - means Hikari will FINALLY get her act together. From here on in, looks to me like the only way for her to go is up, up away... until possibly her final ribbon, because they always have to lose at that one the first time, eh? xD

And because it must be said... Ash cross-dressing again next episode is WIN.

Also, am I the only one who noticed how well-done the animation was for the Unown episode? Maybe it was simply because of the nifty space-warping effects, but at times it came off looking as good as the movie quality animation style.

Well, I shudder at what the Sinnoh Grand Festival might look like. Is Dawn even going to get five ribbons in time? Will Dawn even make it past the second Appeals Round for it? Are they actually going to have Jessie compete?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Also, am I the only one who noticed how well-done the animation was for the Unown episode? Maybe it was simply because of the nifty space-warping effects, but at times it came off looking as good as the movie quality animation style.

I has a theory that after every movie, they take whatever's left in that CG budget that they didn't spend and throw it at the main series to get rid of it. If you'll notice in recent years, episodes that will have been produced shortly after the movie was finished and put out to cinemas suddenly have a massive burst of CG thrown in. Often completely randomly (see the first handful of episodes from Battle Frontier).

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Well, I shudder at what the Sinnoh Grand Festival might look like. Is Dawn even going to get five ribbons in time? Will Dawn even make it past the second Appeals Round for it? Are they actually going to have Jessie compete?

Ash has two badges so far. TWO. I think Dawn has plenty of time to catch up :p

And y'know, the fact that Dawn's lost so much already might point towards her being the first main character to actually win the final competition (after all the frelling slaps in the faces, she'll understand more what it takes to win). Hard to say, though. It all comes down to whether or not her story arc will end after the Sinnoh saga or continue on like May's did in Battle Frontier.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
By the way, Hikari's mum is such a cunt. "You're not as good as me! >=O"... I mean, seriously, what a bitch!

I'm surprised Ash and Brock don't tell her where to get off, to be honest >_>, she doesn't seem happy for her daughter whatever she does.

I find it strange that someone opened a Topic regarding Jesse's winning a ribbon in time to see her actually win a ribbon. Well, I knew she had it in her. Although this could be Dustox's last grand performance before it gets kicked off the team. Personally, I think Jesse is more for a Skorupi then a Gligar, maybe because Drapion matches her hair.

I also lol at how the writers make it look like they're throwing away Dawn.

Also, Pochama might be a girl?

Y'know I've had this really interesting idea for Team Galactic. Ever since Dialga and Palkia were confirmed to be in the 11th movie, I've been thinking that the Team Galactic sub-plot should end in the 12th movie (or whatever movie they plan to feature Arceus in). If Dialga and Palkia are going to appear in more than one movie, why bother having them appear in the main series?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Also, Pochama might be a girl?

I noticed the cheer leader thing, too. Wouldn't it be a bit TOO cliche if all of Dawn's Pokemon were female, though? ... Or so I'd like to believe.

But then we have Pikachu dressed up in a maid's outfit next episode (along with Ashy himself). The Pokemon world is filled with cross-dressers xD

I don't know about you, but I see Dawn's Pachirisu being a boy. I guess it's because I envision Pikachu and Pachirisu arguing over Buneary, which they haven't shown yet!

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Y'know I've had this really interesting idea for Team Galactic. Ever since Dialga and Palkia were confirmed to be in the 11th movie

Dialga and Palkia are not confirmed for the 11th movie. Nothing outside of the titular legendary and basic setting are ever confirmed for a Pokemon movie at this stage of production. Just because they're on the poster, doesn't mean they'll be there in a few months time. When the first proper details of the movie exist and they specify Dialga and Palkia as being confirmed to have roles - that's when they will be. But not before.

I have a prob. with the English version of pokemon: in the ep. "Steam Boat Willies"
Dawn said, I quote, "Pikachu, Buneary you girls look so cute!"
I always thought Pikachu was a boy. O.o
Which is it and why can't they make up their minds?!
They could have made a better sentance like this "Pikechu, Buneary you both look so cute!" so I don't think that's it.

I also hate that they cut out SO MUCH in the English theme songs

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Something tells me this is yet another blunder by the dubbers where they added in dialog that was never originally stated, because if the Japanese version HAD mentioned it... there would've been frelling riots on some Pokemon forums over it. The dubbers really gotta stop taking creative license over things that just screw with the fandom >>

It could just be ignorance on Dawn's part. As far as we know she's never encountered a Sinnoh Pikachu before and assumes Pikachu to be a girl, but then again I could be wrong, seeing as how she's one of the first of them to notice how much Buneary likes Pikachu.