• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Weekly anime discussion - you bet your ass there's spoilers

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
That latest episode in Japan was probably the first DP episode I kinda "meh'd" at. I'm not 100% sure what the situation was, but it just screamed "Problem with Paras" all over again... which is a plot that has already been repeated multiple times since, eh?

The repeat plot wasn't why I didn't care for it, though. Overall it was just a bit boring. The highlight was definitely seeing Mothim, and that's not saying much :p

At least the next episode looks good ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Bumping, because DAMN. That last episode in Japan kicked all sorts of ass. Buizel totally owned souls, and Aqua Jet looked nifty in action. In the end, I think I'm almost glad it went to Hikari and not Ash... As much as it may have suited Ash more, he really didn't need another bad ass Pokemon. It'd just be Treecko redux. Hikari didn't really need two Water-types, though, but ah well... Hopefully having a Pokemon like Buizel will toughen her up a bit and create some fun character interactions.

As you can probably tell, I'm easy to please. I'm just glad SOMEONE got the Buizel, and that it's a frelling awesome one :p

Next episode looks... interesting... Bronzong... THAT Bronzong. Oooh, how it haunts my dreams of the Sinnoh Elite 4 ;__;

P

Pikachu_Master

What is the point of Misty coming back in a episode that will probably talk about Togikiss when she doesn't have Togitic (or something like that) anymore ?

Im actually pretty glad that hikari got buziel rather than Ash, I feel his team would be way too predictable with buziel. Although in retrospect hikari's team is growing very strangely.

I kinda hope Ash has 4 on his team for a while now, cause i doubt he will catch more than a roster of 6 again. Which actually does kinda blow, I really wish that he'd catch a whole load of different pokémon.
I can see him catching a magby/magmar atm though =)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope that team galactic are done better than aqua and magma were, they have debuted which is good, lets just hope that they appear more often. If we only see them in the places where they appear in game it will be satisfactory, however I'd like to see them take a more prominent role than the very predictable upcoming episode (by upcoming i mean, it will happen within the next 18 months) where Dialga and Palkia appear as part of another legendary story arc.

I wonder how long we have to wait till Ambipom appears... =)

edit: Is it me or do the preview screenshots of the gardenia episode show turtwig being hit by a leech seed... I know not all game rules work in the anime etc, but honestly, leech seed on a grass pokémon is just wrong.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I hope that team galactic are done better than aqua and magma were, they have debuted which is good, lets just hope that they appear more often. If we only see them in the places where they appear in game it will be satisfactory, however I'd like to see them take a more prominent role than the very predictable upcoming episode (by upcoming i mean, it will happen within the next 18 months) where Dialga and Palkia appear as part of another legendary story arc.

I wonder how long we have to wait till Ambipom appears... =)

I hear ya. I liked how they ended off that episode, though, by subtly showing Team Galactic for the first time. The Pokemon poacher villain seemed fairly well done, so if they follow that route with Galactic we may finally see some decent baddies.

As for Ambipom, I hope it happens sooner than later. They evolved Bonsly, now it's Aipom's turn ^^

I doubt that it will be nessesary in the anime, that or he will evolve and learn it.

Anyone noticed how ash's pokémon can kick ass against one thing in a gym battle, then the next thing comes out and pretty much always scores a one hit KO.
I want to see ash actually win battles without always using the same amount of pokémon as his opponent, like he did in the Indigo league with Krabby.

I doubt that it will be necessary in the anime, that or he will evolve and learn it.

You do have a point. Clamperl didn't need to be traded once they have the proper evolution items. The Deep Sea Tooth/Scale just acted like a delayed Elemental Stone.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
You do have a point. Clamperl didn't need to be traded once they have the proper evolution items. The Deep Sea Tooth/Scale just acted like a delayed Elemental Stone.

Poliwhirl didn't need to be traded either. Breaking the laws of the games is nothing new for the Anime.

In-game the Pokemon evolve directly after they learn those specific attacks (right?). Aipom will probably use it in some episode, then evolve shortly afterwards in the same episode. I can't imagine why they'd have it learn it then not evolve for a few episodes later...

*Still needs to watch Japan's latest*

Could we possibly discuss the future of the series here? Or do I have to make a seperate thread from that, since the main point of this thread is to talk about the episodes themselves and not the small aspects of the series....

Well we can discuss anything coming up in the anime here really.

So what does everyone think of the next episode... Brock's new pokémon....

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Could we possibly discuss the future of the series here? Or do I have to make a seperate thread from that, since the main point of this thread is to talk about the episodes themselves and not the small aspects of the series....

What RL said, but there's pretty much already a thread or two on that subject if you look back a few weeks.

Anyways... I'm still pretty 'meh' about Happiny, but it seems they've turned Brock into eggman these days. That doesn't make him any better a 'breeder' in my mind (like many have said to justify the event), it's just an excuse to show off more cutesy Pokemon... which never did sit well with me. Still, I didn't hate Bonsly, Mime Jr. pwn'd souls in Battle Frontier (and still has its moments in D/P, tho much rarer than before), and Togepi was fun at the start. Hopefully Happiny will have a cute personality too.

The episode itself looks funny. Brock-based episodes are even more a rarity than Mime Jr. these days, but they're generally always fun to watch ^^

Giving Brock 2 baby pokémon in such close succession is pretty annoying, but then again, Im sure theres a good reason why hes being given happiny other than to show off that chansey also has a pre-evolution. Then again, on the other hand, having the baby pokémon does show he really is becoming a good breeder etc, I just wish he'd brought foretress or crobat with him to sinnoh... Id love to see his crobat learn cross poison *drools*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
That comment about Brock's 2 babies showing him as a better breeder would mean more if Ash, Misty, AND May hadn't raised and hatched their own PokeEggs, too. Maybe Ash's and May's weren't baby Pokemon, but Togepi was. Brock didn't really do anything extra for Bonsly that Misty didn't do for Togepi.

I guess, maybe showing him raise the babies is breeder-related, but it doesn't really set him all that far apart from the others. They really need something more to show how a Pokemon Breeder differs from a normal trainer... aside from Brock's knowledge and common sense. In the end, though, I guess he's still more a trainer than a breeder. Striving to be a breeder maybe, but not quite there yet.

Or maybe it's just me?

I agree, hes not exactly the most active breeder out there, he may make pokémon food (which has been down played very much recently), and now hes being given baby pokémon and stuff, but hes still not much different from ash except he doesnt challenge gyms.

Also, have you noticed hes only mentioned being the pewter city gym leader twice since he left. Once at cerulean city (only time hes ever shown boulder badges), and once when Roxanne got all "omg you're from pewter city".

=( i kinda feel sad for him now. Brock is one of the more underrated characters in the anime.

I guess, maybe showing him raise the babies is breeder-related, but it doesn't really set him all that far apart from the others. They really need something more to show how a Pokemon Breeder differs from a normal trainer... aside from Brock's knowledge and common sense. In the end, though, I guess he's still more a trainer than a breeder. Striving to be a breeder maybe, but not quite there yet.
Or maybe it's just me?

It's not just you. In the first generation I didn't know what a breeder was specifically, therefore I really didn't know what made Brock different from other trainers. Maybe it was that he specialized in making good Pokemon food. When G/S/C generation debuted I was sure Brock would start raising Pokemon eggs and stuff but that didn't happen in Johto OR Hoenn. Maybe Sinnoh holds something in the future.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The sad thing is that I totally forgot about how Brock made his own Pokemon food - which really was a unique skill of his. They really have been downplaying it, haven't they? XD

Now that leads me to a question: if Brock received yet another egg later on, would it be seen as making sense, or just redundant?

New episode today =)

I think if he kept getting eggs it would make him a good breeder actually... As long as he didnt just end up wandering around with a baby pokémon in his arms all the time like misty did with togepi.
However i think that by giving him happiny, which will hopefully evolve into chansey very soon, he will be setting up himself quite well for having a large variety of pokémon and will be able to treat pokémon with various status ailments much easier.

I know I'm looking a little too far into the future, but I was wondering what your views/speculations are on the following issues

Ash's last 2 Sinnoh Pokemon:
Well, Ash's party is already pretty balanced, he has an Electric, Grass and Flying type, a staple to his party, and has an Aipom, whihc is heavily hinted at evolving into an Ambipiom, but his last two Pokemon are a mystery. Well, it's safe to say that Ash would most likely catch a water type and fire type to even out the party. And yet, there's a strong chance he can catch any other Pokemon. From my view, its pretty likely for him to acquire a Lucario (or perhaps that's wishful thinking)

Jessie and James
Will Jessie ever win a contest? It's a possibility, considering she's really good at it for the first half anyway, and the contests in Sinnoh feature something Team Rocket are apparent masters of: Costumes!
Will James Pokemon ever evolve? It's difficult to say if James deserves a pokemon as powerful as a cacturne, but I'd like to speculate with his Jr.Mime...would he still love it even if its evolved /grown up?

And on the current topic of Brock:
Well, as for the moment, Brock serves the party as the big brother, and it seems that his dreams of being a breeder are put on hold, if he cared so much about it, he should work harder right? Still, there's a small number of baby pokemon in the series and it'd be interesting if he ended up with more than a few, but I guess that'd be pushing the angle a bit too far.

I do want to see Ash get another fighting type. He hasn't had once since Primate I believe. Lucario and Ash look good together and I can see a Lucario being the powerhouse like Charizard is. A Gallade suits him too. Has Ash ever had Psychic type?

I don't see a fire type happening. Ash usually only captures Pokemon from the most current generation. And there are only four 4th gen non-legendary fire types. He could catch a water type though. And I could be totally wrong.

Why Dawn has two water types is beyond me but then again teams aren't always predictable and balanced.

The only criteria we do seem to have for Ash's Pokemon is that they're all troublemakers...
Yeah, come to think of it, a fire type seems unlikely, who knwos he might get a magby or something, but with the lack thereof of regular fire types in the 4th gen, the chances are indeed slim...

...Ash doesn't have the brains to use a Psychic POkemon. Pokemon in general tend to be smarter than he is.

Dawn, I guess Dawn's two water POkemon simply came as a surprise to everyone, but since her buizel is the type of pokemon Ash would catch, perhaps it's a message that Dawn's future will not parallel May's.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Will Jessie ever win a contest?

You've been following the Japanese Anime, right? Because she already did win a contest over Hikari/Dawn. Mind you, it was with Ash's Pokemon and it wasn't an official contest, but a win is still a win, and Jessie deserved it ^^

Chances are that'll be the only contest she ever wins due to Dawn's developing character, so I'd savor the victory for all it's worth ;)

I would possibly stop following the anime if they actually gave Ash a Lucario, just for the sheer fact that its so overrated. I'd like to see him with a magby though just for the magmortar/elekible battle that would ensue at the sinnoh league, we all know Ash will beat Paul (that name still makes me cringe) but an on screen magmortar/elekible battle would be pretty epic, almost as good as the blastoise vs charizard battle of Gary and Ash in Johto.
Although I must say, a Gallade would make ash's team a lot more interesting, seeing as the chances of Ash getting a Mothim or a Skuntank are very low at the moment, Gallade would be the coolest thing for him to get.

James really should have cacnea evolve, but then again, he is there for pure comic relief, imagine him getting hugged by cacturne, that would kill... Actually, i'd love to see him have cacnea evolve and become badass and not hug him, he could have 1 pokémon that is actually useful.

You've been following the Japanese Anime, right? Because she already did win a contest over Hikari/Dawn. Mind you, it was with Ash's Pokemon and it wasn't an official contest, but a win is still a win, and Jessie deserved it ^^

Chances are that'll be the only contest she ever wins due to Dawn's developing character, so I'd savor the victory for all it's worth ;)

Well, I know she won a contest albeit an unofficial one, but I'm talking about ever gaining even one ribbon, because I don't really see anything wrong with having a villain (a bad one at that) winning at least once.

You know, I never noticed the whole elekible versus Magmortar thing, now that you mention it, it'd make perfect sense, but then Ash doesn't always have a pokemon that is perfect for his rival, like say an Espeon. IN Silver and Gold, Ash had one in his party, but he has never acquired an Eevee of his own to do battle against Gary's Umbreon.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Agreed there. It's hard to know at this point whether or not they intend Pikachu to stay as Elekid's long-running rival, too. For all we know Paul's Elekid will never evolve and he'll end up with some other powerhouse Pokemon (Infernape) that plays rival to Ash's possible-future Torterra.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to say the least.

Im very curious about this weeks episode, in fact it currently seems very strange...
Why do the promo shots show turtwig playing the drums! Thats just not normal!

Anyone else think some of the filler episodes are getting stranger...

I thought the thing with the POkemon Hunters and other wannabe factions are pretty weird. Although you have to admit their pretty badass, but still, what's up with all these sudden random team rocket wannabes?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I wouldn't call the Pokemon Hunter a random TR wannabe considering that she was far more cool than TR in that respect. I can't wait for her to make a return-appear either ^^

And for the fillers, some of them are pretty funky, but I'm not complaining. They're probably some of the best I've seen for a region-based series in ages. Johto's filler were just so... "Blah" comes to mind.

Anyways, while waiting for this new episode in Japan to air I've been playing catch-up with the dub. The 4th dubbed DP episode almost killed me not because of the VAing, but because of the actual script writing (it was just so... bad). Now it's either getting better or I'm just getting used to it, because it's not bothering me as much. Croagunk actually has a really fitting voice, and Buneary isn't hard on the ears either. I'm still disappointed with the meek-ness of Piplup's voice compared to Pochama's brattiness, but even that I'm getting used to sadly... Sometimes it's just nice hearing the show in the English language, regardless of the scripting/VA quality.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Watched the latest in Japan, and okay... Either's Aipom female (which would make sense), or the thing's as much a cross-dresser as Pikachu XD

I love those Pokemon-centered episodes, and this one was fairly cute. Pikachu and Pochama acting like the stand-in Ash and Hikari was amusing, too. Am I the only one who was a bit surprised when Hikari mimicked Ash and jumped on that Mantine? She's starting to show a lot more boldness than May ever did, and yet I still don't view her as a Misty-ripoff. It's all good.

Mantine head-smashing that huge boulder freakin' pwn'd.

I'm falling a bit behind on the episodes but I'm really liking what I see. The last episode was the one in which Dawn captues Pachirisu and I liked that episode. Dawn IS definitely cooler, better, bolder, spunkier, etc than May ever was. And she doesn't make a weird noise that May did in the beginning.

I just watched the episode "Ya We Want to See an Evolution" about two girls (The B Button League) who refused to evolve their Magikarp and Feebas. I hope this doesn't start a repeat of past episodes where unevolved Pokemon are godmodding or pwning things they shouldn't be pwning or Ash not evolving Pokemon. I know it probably won't but someone assure me that isn't a sign of things to come. I still angry that Cyndaquil and Totodile never evolved.

Well, at least the Magikarp Salesman didn't sound an old man. One thing that I found a tiny bit disappointing was that I didn't hear Meowth call the remote for the Evolution Machine a "Wiimote".