• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Those crazy game sprites

When my sister and I first got Gold/Silver, we always, always, always thought that poor little Hoppip looked like a Christmas Cake:
Spr_2g_187.png

:(
This looks also like a fat deer's head.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Spr_4d_006.png
Does anyone else agree that Charizard's neck looks a bit scrawny in this sprite. It's way too long and thin to hold up his head.

Spr_1g_023.png
Say Ah!

Spr_1b_047.png
That is about as weird as Kabuto.

Spr_4d_006.png
Does anyone else agree that Charizard's neck looks a bit scrawny in this sprite. It's way too long and thin to hold up his head.

Spr_1g_023.png
Say Ah!

Spr_1b_047.png
That is about as weird as Kabuto.

Looks like someone forgot to draw the rest of Parasect's legs. Also, that Ekans looks like someone -badly- tried to attach a Magikarp mouth to its face.

Now it's time for angry Eevee:
greenspr133.png

It's eyes just look evil.

You guys must be shooping, Pokemon never looked that weird. Here, I'll prove it. How 'bout a nice simple Pokemon, like... Farfetch'd? Let's see some of those old sprites. Look at --

Spr_1b_083.png

WHAT

Spr_1g_083.png

FARFETCH'D WHAT

SERIOUSLY MAN

WHAT

I can't believe nobody posted these two yet!

First, let's take a look at Kakuna.
Spr_1b_014.png

Either Kakuna's a mummy, or Kakuna's just about to go Beedrill on us. :o

Now, look at Machop.
Spr_1b_066.png

Take a look at his face.
Picture4-3.png

Does it remind you of anything? :3

Now let's look at the Japanese Machop.
Spr_1g_066.png

Is he on steriods and high?!

Kakuna stopped evolving when it was halfway turned into Beedril. xP

Okay, so this is what the Veteran Overworld looks like:
VeteranOverworld.png

Now, here's the actual trainer sprite:
VeteranTrainer.png

When did he grow black hair and get the nifty outfit?

I

Infernape Rulez

Infernape in DP. Seriously,there's a lump in the Flames. I thoght it's brain was on fire. Thanks to platinum,it's fixed. :-X

Spr_1y_001.png
Spr_1g_002.png

These are priceless.
Spr_b_g1_003.png
This is a Venusaur, right? Not my overgrown salad?
Spr_1g_005.png
Spr_1g_012.png
Spr_1g_017.png
Look at how fat the Pidgeotto is. That's obesity right there.
Spr_1y_020.png
It's.....green and striped?
Look!
Spr_2c_025.gif
Pikachu's a trendsetter! It's the new fashion to greet someone by sticking your left leg in the air, closing your left eye, and waving with your right arm.

Edit: King of Lucario, every time I see or think of that Mewtwo, I will laugh uncontrollably no matter what.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Spr_4d_202_f.png

I see female wobuffet put on lipstick!

I actually love female Wobbuffet. I mean, Wobba is a bit of a joke Pokemon anyway with its Japanese name and anime personality, and it's not exactly easy to use in battle. So I think the lipstick is hilarious and suits her very well ;).

I much prefer to see something amusing like this than Pokemon with identical male and female sprites because Nintendo ran out of ideas. Gendering the sprites only works for me if you do it for all the Pokemon, not if you do a half-assed attempt with less than half of the Pokemon.

I much prefer to see something amusing like this than Pokemon with identical male and female sprites because Nintendo ran out of ideas. Gendering the sprites only works for me if you do it for all the Pokemon, not if you do a half-assed attempt with less than half of the Pokemon.

I agree with you there. Once in Diamond I was looking at a graveler and, since I thought every pokemon looked different with genders, I was looking and looking thinking, "What the **** is the difference!".

Back on the topic... speaking of graveler, Gen IV's shiny sprite reminds me of something rather smelly and disgusting...
Spr_4d_075_s.png
Spr_4p_075_s.png

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member

Not all real-life animals have a noticeable gender difference either though, unless of course you...you know, actually check. It makes sense for some Pokemon to have identical appearance as male and female in that respect.

rbspr037.png
Suddenly I don't like vulpix as much anymore...
rbspr040.png
Wha-what the hell?
rbspr043.png
I'm afraid I can't respond to this oddish...
rbspr044.png
GET THE FIRE DEPARTMENT! POKEMON ON FIRE!