1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Those crazy game sprites

Discussion in 'Pokémon Games Discussion' started by Carmen Lopez, Jul 6, 2009.

1. This thread was inspired by coming across this:

[​IMG]

I got a major kick out of it XD So I want to know if anyone else has a Pokemon game sprite that they found hilarious/amusing/disturbing. And trust me, there are many crazy sprites out there (most of them in Red and Blue). Your sprite doesn't have to be a Pokemon--it can be a trainer sprite as well.

2. Psycho Monkey

Psycho Monkey Member of the Literary Elite Four

To be honest, the first time I saw Bellsprout [​IMG] in my Blue Version I thought it was a flying type. I was very confused as to why it was using Vine Whip. :p

3. [​IMG]

This one's pretty weird @__@

4. OH, OH, OH!!! I have plenty. :D

[​IMG]

5. O-O What is that? Zubat? :o

6. hm, I hope I'm allowed to direct-link these:

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. [​IMG]
    Kind of looks like he exploded.

Really, half of the Red, Green, and Blue sprites are kind of hilarious.

8. [​IMG]

IT'S A BULLET.
    WITH LEGS.

I am so glad you never got to fight those in Red/Blue, I would never have loved them so if I'd ever seen them from any angle but the rear.

(can't sleep golbat will lick me/eat me/my soul)

9. [​IMG]

What the f*ck happend to Mew? It looks like a mutanted sphynx. But all of the Green, Red and Blue pokemon sprites were very weird.

10. KoL

KoL FPS Guy
    Staff Member Moderator

I have a few:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

One of the most poorly drawn 'Zard sprites in history, poor Venusaur looks like he's being squashed by his own flower, and Jiggs looks like she's had her face bashed in with a meat tenderizer.

However, none can compare to this...

[​IMG]

Thrusting Mewtwo pwns souls.

11. And so the other generations won't feel left out.

[​IMG] Raikou's sprite from Gold and Silver

I present to you the ugliest sprite the games have ever produced. And unlike the bad RBGY sprites where you could give -some- blame to the technology of the day, there is no excuse for this as they fixed it in Crystal. While I do think Raikou looks really cool, this sprite permanently made it my least favorite of the trio. I remember KOing the thing in Silver because it was so ugly, I never wanted to see it again. XD

12. KoL

KoL FPS Guy
    Staff Member Moderator

Actually, this is the ugliest sprite the games have ever produced:

[​IMG]

I present to you, Magmor-uh...wait, you mean that thing is MEANT to look that ugly? Sweet cream on an ice-cream sandwich...

In other news...Hypno's back-sprite from R/B/Y:

[​IMG]

Because of how the hand and the pendulum are positioned, looking at this a certain way makes Hypno look like some sort of demented donkey baring its teeth. Makes me wonder whether the spriter for Gen I was in fact Toph from Avatar - looks like she made a guest appearance for G/S Raikou as well.

13. Well, Gen 1's sprites had yet to be Sugimori'd, as were the Gen 2 Sprites. In fact, it wasn't until Gen 3 'til the game designers decided to wait for Sugimori's illustrations before they could do the spritework.

[​IMG]

Although Fetus Mew wins hands-down, Pikachu was quite a sight back in the day.

Also

[​IMG]

Its doubly humorous when the Pokemon uses Flamethrower. Good grief, what on earth was that Skuntank drinking?! 0_0

14. [​IMG]
    That. Is. Garish.

15. ^Awww..no...I love this sprite. ^_^

[​IMG] [​IMG] :D

[​IMG]
    Heatran's Platinum sprite is adorable though. 'Makes her look like the little puppy dog she is. Love it.Love it.Love it.

16. Psycho Monkey

Psycho Monkey Member of the Literary Elite Four

I'm sorry to pick on Gen 1 again, but what the hell do you call this: [​IMG]?

"Aw, I'm Hitmonchan! They haven't designed my body yet so I have to hide it with my oversized fists!"

17. [​IMG] This Magmar is weird :U

[​IMG] Did you do something with your hair, Geodude?

18. [​IMG]
    A chicken with fish fins, eh Articuno?

[​IMG]
    Aww so cute...yet creepy.

[​IMG]
    The only sprite that looks like a female bull XD.

19. No, no, no, no. You got it all WRONG. These take the cake.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And here's a collection. Yes, I included the back sprite for Jirachi in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

[​IMG]

20. [​IMG]

what is snorlax doing?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Happy golem? Much different to the evil platinum sprite:

[​IMG]

21. Speaking of the Golem evolution line...

[​IMG]

Oh god.

[​IMG]

Someone forgot to shade in Golem's boulder body. >_>

22. Ok were the sprites different in Japanese versions of red and blue, because there are some of those, the Mew, Charizard and Venusaur in particular, that I don't recognize.

23. Yes. Many of the sprites posted come from the Japanese Pokemon Red & Green versions--the latter of which was never released outside of Japan. I never played the US version of Red and Blue but I'm pretty sure Venasaur never looked that demented. XD

*Going to bed now, I promise ^^;

24. [​IMG]

the pose is just hilarious XD (2nd frame of the Poliwrath animation in platinum)

#25 112% Elusive, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2017
  25. [​IMG] and [​IMG]

Both of these make me lol too. Not sure what in the world was going on with the first one.

26. baratron

baratron Moderator of Elder Scrolls
    Staff Member Moderator

What in hells is that? Kabuto?

I was ranting on irc the other night about a trainer that I fought in Platinum - Veteran someone or other. In the overworld sprite (the cute chibi sprite with oversized head that you see as you walk around), he's an old man with a bald head and long white beard. When he battles you, he looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Um... did his beard suddenly migrate to the top of his head and change colour?

27. [​IMG]
    Okay, I have no idea wether this is a snorlax or a sleepy 1920's cartoon.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Dolls or Nidos? You decide.

[​IMG]
    This was the only normal sprite in Pkemon Green.

[​IMG]
    Shake that thang! Awkward...

28. I'm feeling free to take up the Red/Blue Gym leaders instead then:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wait a minute.. When did Erica the grass pokemon trainer learn to use Psychic?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sabrina got a whip? for what? punishing her psychic pokemon if they can't bend the spoons right?

[​IMG]
    And when did Blaine ever become a crazy doctor?

[​IMG]

Giovanni have always been a Mafia Boss. Wait what?

29. [​IMG]

So... So you're sure that thing's asleep, right? Seriously, it's frickin' creepy. ._.

[​IMG]

And this one just sucks, really.

EDIT:

[​IMG]

Creepy Grimer.

30. Well, since... always. I mean, except in the anime and that one Sugimori art, he's always wearing a lab coat with dark glasses.

What did you think Team Rocket was? Certainly not legitimate businessmen. :p

Also,

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Separated at birth?

31. [​IMG]
    What does Ryhorn look like?
    [​IMG]
    Oh i remember Ekans, and his terrible Wrap attacks.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This Evolution tree looks abit more different these days :p

[​IMG]
    Yeah your right. But he still looks more of a crazy doctor than a.. Nah forget it. He is and have always been a crazy doc!

Yeah when you quoted that, i looked at him in another way, thinking: "Well his company isn't legit, and yeah they do steal your pokemon, so i guess you can call them "The Mafia of the Pokemon"" but still, his not that tough in Fire red and Leaf green though.
    [​IMG]

32. First, don't double-post. In the future, use the 'edit' button. This is, incidentally, in our rules, so you have to get warned for it.

Second, I don't think anyone looked as tough in FR/LG. :p

33. Yeah sorry about the Double post. Posted my post at the same time he did, and i watched his post and hit "quote" without seeing that my post was right under his, and not above as it should have been.

I accept the warning, and will lookout for this in the future.

Yeah i guess your right about that :p

But one trainer do look better, and that is Brock.
    [​IMG]

34. [​IMG]

What's with the colour, and why does onix look like it's dancing?

[​IMG]

When I first saw this I thought it was rude for nintendo, until I knew what their hands looked like.

35. [​IMG]

Ew gross :U

Their arms look weird.

36. This is why you gotta love the technology of the future. The horrible graphics of the past are things you want to laugh at now. Though this has given me a chance to save some pics so that i can show my friends in case i loose this thread. is that wrong? I sure hope not, cuz i dont really want to give them up x3

37. You can always go to Bulbapedia or Psypoke for these sprites (and every other sprite) as well. Then you won't have to worry about losing this thread. ^^

38. www.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net is the pokemon Wikipedia, use it for your gaming experience.

There you go :)

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon
    a more, detailed page.

If you find some cool sprites there, post them here :D

39. When my sister and I first got Gold/Silver, we always, always, always thought that poor little Hoppip looked like a Christmas Cake:
    [​IMG]

:(