• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Realm of Pixeity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry you're not feeling well, Spriteon. Nice of you to volunteer. ^_^

I like your style of shading, too. 'Tis masterful. And it makes them smooth looking, which Nintendo never really figured out. Nintendo's are all blocky, ugly, non-shaded messes, whereas yours are really smooth, very well shaded, and just plain awesome. =]

You do know pillow shading is one of, if not the most simple style of shading which isnt reshading about? Also, its shaded like that, to keep to anime style. Also to save on colours.
Well its your choice dude, but pesonally I find the old work greater. The Venusaur, has a few to many light sources. : E

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hrmm, not to bad on designs I must say, but the shading is iffy. Personally, I hate Pillow shading with a passion. If it was me, I'd change it. Though its up to you.

You do know pillow shading is one of, if not the most simple style of shading which isnt reshading about? Also, its shaded like that, to keep to anime style. Also to save on colours.
Well its your choice dude, but pesonally I find the old work greater.

Saying 'its your choice' twice after bashing Spriteon's shading style kinda moots the point. You're not doing her any favours by simply stating how much you dislike it without explaining how to improve on it. There's a rule about that sort of posting for a reason, and for that you receive a warning.

I'd also be inclined to figure out first just how much effort Spriteon put into her shading before stating how 'simple' it is.

I hope you manage to claim enough rest Spriteon. Relaxation is key and so forth. At any rate that's an excellent revamp of the Venusaur, so I can easily see why you're so pleased with it. Your shading really brings out the vibrancy of the flower for a start.

Here's the Yellow Version Charizard, redone. Pretty happy with it though there are a few things I don't like, but I couldn't really change them because then I'd lose most of what the original gave me, and then the point would be missed.

ZardRevamp.png

And WHAT'S THIS!? HOSNAP! Teh Spriteon can now change forms?! Yes, now I come in not one, but TWO varieties! Spriteon and Pixelchu!

Pixelchu.png

Wether or not I'll change my name and avi for awhile is still to be determined, but I probably will soon. Colored in the same way Spriteon was, exact same tail to. I was lazy. =3 In the end, I decided to not keep the cheekpads. Not like I'm gonna go around firing electricity anyway. XD I'll probably end up making more forms to along the way, hehe.​

Ohmigosh, I live the Pixelchu. It is awesome. I shall draw it for you, as compensation for the original picture not being done yet (aaaaah, July was a horrible month for me).

I'm so backed up on replies to your wunnerful sprites. Bad Persian. :< *headkeyboard*

Alright...the Nibbles pixelart was amazing. Creepy, but amazing. And cute, in a way. The Nibbles-and-Psychospinda was cool, too. They look so psychotically happy...and I wanna see it on the battle screen. :3

The four trainers are pretty good, but out of all the sprites you've put up, they aren't my favorite. I really like the middle two, but the eyes on the far right kind of bother me...are they glasses? I can't tell...other than the eyes, the rest of them look good. I bet they'll look good against colored backgrounds...especially the blonde. Her outfit is cool.

The Venasaur looks wonderful. The face is a bit creepy, but now that I look at the old sprite...it was always creepy. It looks very 3D to me, kind of like one of the TV versions. It's pretty cool!

The Charizard is AWESOME. I like the old sprite better than the Venasaur's old sprite...and the Charizard new sprite is just cool. I think I like yours better than DP's...

And, like I said, the Pixelchu is made of win. I don't care how lazy you were. It is made of win. So I shall draw it for j00, cuz I'm more lazy than j00 are. :3 Seriously, though, your pic just needs to be colored (I'ma usin' a black colored pencil! Wahah!)

Edit: it really freaked me out when you changed your name...I was like, "where'd Spriteon and her sprite thread go?" It was scary...then I saw the cute angry face...

Aha, excellent! The Charizard is of course great, but Pixelchu is certainly awesome. Leaving the cheekpads off is a good move, since it makes it slightly more distant from a simple monochrome Pikachu. Plus now I can call you Pix on the forum which is short and handy, heh.

No, I don't take suggestions. A suggestion is just a subtle request. :p

And...[size=16pt]FINALLY![/size]
I finished it!
SamiSS.png

This is me as a Sonic styled character. Yes, I am a kitty. =D Screw hedgehogs, foxes, and echidnas, I'm a freakin' kitty! This took me basically an entire day to complete, spread out between today and yesterday.

I'm incredibly pleased with this. =D

[glow=dodgerblue,2,300]​

Congrats on finishing it! The shading on that is pretty damn impressive, especially on the face and ears. It's also good to see the gloves turned out well, considering you got a bit annoyed with them.

So yeah. You already heard me praise it in the chat, but Kitty!Demi rocks my socks. All that effort and frustration were worth it--the end result is astounding. I don't think I could ever find the patience to make such smooth shading, and you look like you actually have a firm grasp of light sources, which is pretty tricky stuff. XD

*just looked over the whole thread*
Oh my god...I thought I've been amazed by sprites on here before...even some things I see regularly in peoples signitures and as their avatars, you have created...amazing. Your skill is unspeakably stupendous...

*Also looked through entire thread*
Your too god at sprites T_T
I love your style, pillow shading is awesome, I'm trying to get into it.
Pixelchu is awesome, it makes me want to make my own pikachu-like creature o.o
I love the back-poses, clone pokemon, mugshots, pixel art, badge case, everything.
I want to do some kind of fan-art of one of your characters or somefin'

Thankies for the lovely compliments!

@ Haku-Kun: Unless you wanna be flustered for a good hour or two, "pillow-shading" as you people call it isn't exactly the quickest/easiest route to good spriting. My advice, the way to make your sprites look as awesome as they can be, develop your own style to find what's fun and easy for you; only then can your sprites look their best.

@ Krazed; It's an edit from Sonic Advanced 2 large pose sprites. The main base was Amy, but I used Tail's hands because Amy had her Piko Piko hammer in the pose. XD And I didn't feel like contending with it. Plus, I've never been fond of having twigs for arms, so I always make the limbs a bit thicker. =3 The jeans were a good way to not have chicken legs either.

^_^ I've been feeling crazy lately so I'm like, working on three seperate things that have totally nothing to do with what I said I was gonna do. So this is what I'm working on right now as an update...

- The recoloring of Silver Version's Eeveelutions.
- A Sonic!Styled Duo.
- A Sonic!Styled of one of Xanthier's characters.

Plus I've been trying to pump out more hand-drawn stuff to no avail, but meh...​

Oooooh, you're going to use Silver version sprites? That sounds pretty cool. I look forward to it - it'll be like a pleasant blast from the past (or something - deja vu? Dunno, I need a better term for it).

Been awhile, neh? Well, I'm distracting myself over and over again by jumping to something new whenever I make it half way through a sprite. So I'll eventually have a huge update one of these days...

HMSami.png

This would be a small, self-portrait. Edited from a Harvest Moon headshot of Nami.​

Heh, nice work there on the expression. Don't worry about constantly changing what you're working on, it just gives people something to look forward to, namely the huge update you've mentioned.

Well, I just did a big Pixel Art dump in my Art Thread, so it's only fair that I do an old sprite dump, neh? There each roughly 1 to 2 years old, same as the Pixel Arts.

These two I still rather like; their KH:CoM Namine sprite edits to look like my old Gaian avatar.

GaianKHSprites.png
meandmyswing.png

In order; Addison, Anise, Shakira, and Matt. The first three belonged to a super Mary-Sue, God-Mode girl. This is the same girl who I created Izzy to save Tobias from. She tried to hook up her first girl, Addison, with all of Snapdragon's boys. I had Lexi save Jalen, and Izzy save Tobias, hell me and Snapdragon even made Lexi and Jalen have a love triangle to save Ramiel from Addison. Anise was a GM'ing, 8-year old girl who had AZELF. >:\ Total BS. Her design is from Tales of Abyss, so yeah, this girl was totally original, neh? Sometimes, I wonder why I sprited her characters for her. Her third character was a contestant who she wholly based off of Shakira, hell, she even named the character Shakira. Then she got bored of this character and tried to get me to make a fourth sprite for her, of which I refused. The sole boy there is Matt, who belonged to quite the perv. He basically tried to make his character hit on every female character in the RP. Gross. Okay, end rant.

AddieOlder.png
Anise.png
Shakira.png
MattOlder.png

These two were requests from people who wanted sprites for their characters. The first one was based off of a picture they had found online, so a few might reconize the design a little. The second was based off one the person had drawn, but in the end, she didn't join the RP. D: And the third is Faye, who Mr. GM wanted me to create so we could torture Matt and as her girl, Anise's rival. She was a bit fun, because I'll admit, I did get to GM with her a bit, but I made the actual girl dumb as hell to make up for it. She had a super Fangirl complex and the attention span of a gnat.

Seth.png
Audi.png
Faye.png

This one, despite being pretty old, I still love. It's my character; Lexi, and Snapdragon's; Jalen, at different ages. They're so cute when they were young! :D

Friends.png

These first two are just random sprites. The first one is Mint Jenny; yes, Jenny. She was gonna be an outcast younger sister of Jennies who just went around and did her own thing. But I never got to use her. XD The second is a filler character; AJ, who I used as part of Izzy's Dragonair, Cherub's, backstory. The third is West, a sprite made for another RP'er. West was a pretty awesome character, I remember loving how the hair came out.

Jenny.png
AJ.png
West.png

Oh, and those ToastyTau sprites I mentioned in my Art Thread? Found them. XD
KHToasty.png
Toasteon.png
MiniToasty.png
ToastyPlushie.png
TauTau.png

And one lonely one of my big brothers Gaian Avatar - KH: CoM edit.
MiniStrife.png

Wow, you certainly are quite the prolific spriter. (Oh, see the mock surprise there considering all the ones you've made for me. o_O )

Gotta say, I'm impressed you made sprites for someone you seemingly disliked a hell of a lot. Even so, they look good. Tama's characters are certainly bright and colourful eh? It makes them quite striking to look at. The filler character AJ looks quite cool. Seeing all these and hearing about all the RP you've done is nifty, it makes me want to actually post more in the RP I Admin. Yeah... slacking a tad. It's also nice to see characters at various ages and with consistent colour themes, as it really adds a sense of continuity.

*takes 2 hours to look at the thread.*I'm amazed. Wow, my favorite sprite was Pixelchu because of his tail. I absolutely love the shading on all yur sprites. If I even attempted spriting yours would totally be better than mine. I look forward to seeing more of your sprites.

I know I've seen over half of those sprites already, but it's still fun to bask in nostalgia. xD I can't even remember why I loved Anu so much, considering how we had Matt the hero and his magical black Pikachu on one side and "I WANT YOUR BABIES" Maddison on the other, but I kinda have a feeling that a certain Fuji and Hart were what made it great for me. XD

Good sprites (like most of the other members have said time after time). I finally read through all the pages of this thread and I really like the rants that go along with your sprites, it gives it more meaning ya know?

So yeah...keep up the good work.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I just looked over the entire thread. Now, I don't usually comment on artwork unless I have something constructive to say, because I myself prefer to hear actual feedback rather than 25 comments of "wow, awesome!" - and I don't really know enough about art to say anything constructive. But there's too much awesome in the thread for me not to say anything ;).

I really like your cosplayer trainers - you tend to pick unusual features of the Pokemon for their costumes, rather than the obvious ones. My favourites are the Entei, Lucario and Leafeon cosplayers, but I also love Izzy's "roster", where she's dressed up to match each of her Pokemon. I like all of your Linkachus, and think Alex, El's & Xanthier's pixel arts are great.

Also, Nibbles and the Psychotic Spinda are possibly the most disturbing Pokemon I've ever seen, depending on how you count - the bandages around Nibbles' "tail" and the backstory just make them :D.

Thankies for the lurvely compliments! I keep trying to do a little update, by my computer is being a biznatch. This is about the 5th time I'm trying to post this, so...here goes! :3

Digit.png

This should've been in the sprite dump, but I forgot. Meet Digit, my first Megaman ZX character. She had a Biometal A before the new game ZX: Advent decided to finally do it. So, with that being said, I'm in the developing stages for a new ZX styled character. She's got a hand-drawn Art piccu lying around somewhere, so I'll post that in my Art Thread when I find it.

Kay.png

The would've been in the sprite dump, but I totally forgot; that tends to happen when you have 3 seperate Photobucket accounts. This was for a friend who literally sat beside me and nagged me until I made her it. >_​

Aha, it's great to see another batch of sprites, old and new. Overall I like the MSN avatar of you and your brush the most, it's well done and your trademark is always pretty cool to see. The white line on the brush does help add definition, but the eye on the left in the picture looks a bit like a divot in the side of the face, as there's no real distinction between the white of the eye and the surrounding white space. Overall it still looks very well done.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Cool, it's a picture of Laela, and a well done one, I should say. And the white line on the paintbrush actually gives it a nice sort of feel or something. Hope to see some more nice works of art!

I wanna knowhow you got so good, and with Paint as well. I've been practiseing for ages, and have never been able to do it as good as you. :'( :'(
But I'm not putting you down or anything, great work!

Alrighty, since most of my newer sprites got killed in the boom. XD Reposting with a few new ones too.

Baratron.png

I did a rendition of Baratron's current avi. Like the clothing, dislike the skin. Repost.

Eh.png

A random trainer girl I did as practice to make sure I could still frankensprite. Repost.

EonRevamp.png

The original Eeveelution sprites from Silver version on the left and my re-shaded renditions of them on the right. Repost.

Waiting.png

A random girl I drew. Half-assed BG. Her name is Jo. :p Repost.

Venus4WH.png

Venus the Hedgehog. Winonaheart's character from DA. No stealing. >:p Repost.

ONTO THE NEW STUFFS!

Yasu.png

Yasu the Timberwolf. QTStartheHedgehog's character on DeviantArt. Such a bad-ass, I just HAD to do an edit of him. Original base was Knuckles from Sonic Advanced 2. I =[

SAX.png

Lillian "Lil" the Coyote. MY CHARACTER, NO STEALING. I tried to do the 'official' art style that Sega now used for their character on the Sonic Channel. This was an EXTREME bitch to do, easily took over 8 hours between the span of two days. Why so long? I did it in MSPAINT. With a MOUSE. So yeah, steal this and you die. Yes, she is supposed to have the kinda thick outline due to the style. :p No, I don't feel like telling you about her arm. Yes, she has nice boobs. No, she will not date your Sonic OC. Yes, I really did do this in MSPaint with a Mouse, just like everything else I've ever done that wasn't on paper or PaintChat.​

Okay, so, i'm new to the site, and I am getting into spriting, and one of the first threads on the list is yours, so i decided to check it out.

I loved the first page so much i scrolled throughout the entire topic. And I think that all of your sprites are the Bomb, which is why i was upset when i read that your requests were closed, so I won't ask, but Kudos to you, Pixelchu, I love every single one of the sprites that you have made, I mean, I haven't even browsed the other threads i like yours so much. But anyways, my complaments, I totally love your Spriting.

:D

Thankies for the compliment. :3 Mucho appreciated.

JoSheet.jpg

Mini-Jo. =D Tried to restrain my color use down to 5 colors per-shade. I think it's cute. :3 Her arm is wierd. XD

HOLY MILTANK! INTERACTIVE-NESS?

That's right! I'm asking opinions ((keyword, OPINIONS)) on how I should go about finishing two projects I started LONG LONG ago. XD

TamaDemi.png

First up! Mine and Snapdragon's Sonic-Selves. Debating on coloring it in my usual many shades style or trying out a simplier version of how I shaded the Coyote just above. Opinions always appreciated, if not always considered. >_>

TobiIzzyVin.png

Second! Toby and Izzy's magically floating midriffs. Edited from It's a Wonderful World sprites like, as soon as The Spriter's Resource had uploaded them. They've been collecting dust for ages. Debating on trying the actual style the sprites orginally came in verses my many-shades style. Again, would be most fond of opinions.

Now, don't go using these and shading them to try and explain your opinion, because then I'ma just kill you. In other words, if you can't input your opinion in a logical, descriptive manner, then your opinion is obsolete. Critisism, Comments, and Compliments are always loved though! ^ 3^​

[size=8pt]I feel so special. :>[/size]

If you don't mind my saying so, mini-Jo could probably use a little more definition. The smoothness of the shading means there's very little definition around the face; her features kind of blur together.

For the Sonic things, my vote is simplified Sega-style shading. (Say that nine times fast. :V) Why? Anything that has simplified in the name seems less likely to make you swear at your computer screen for hours. XD

I'm voting official-style shading on the IAWW sprites, too. Not just because I tend to cop out and mimic official style on my bases personally. XD I already know you're the undisputed queen of pillow shading, but I don't think I've ever seen you do something as harsh and drastic as these sprites' cel shading. It'll be neat to see your approach.

All that being said, stellar work as usual; these here be pretty linearts. XD

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Admittedly, I don't really like the shading for the coyote becaue the shading seems too... I dunno, robot-ish. Maybe the coyote one was supposed to be robot-ish, but in my great visual mind (sarcasm), I don't think the shading style of...Lillian, was it?... would go well with the Sonic selves. I prefer your old shading style to that one.

Not sure about your "floating midriffs", though. I don't really know what shading style you should use for them. Maybe your usual shading style would look better on them? I'm not sure.

My overall suggestion for now: save your work, then shade it however you want to, save it as something else, then open the original and shade it differently. Okay, I don't know if I'm making any sense, but, do you understand what I'm trying to say?

And I agree with Tama: they are pretty linearts.

I like these! I like the soft shading of them, the re shades of the eveeloutions are really good, but I would add more darker shades in to the really deep areas just so that the features, like on mini jo, get lost. that's the only thing. :)

I think you have a real knack for creating shade though it looks so easy when you do it...makes me want to do more ;)

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member

I did a rendition of Baratron's current avi. Like the clothing, dislike the skin. Repost.
Well, I like it :p. What's wrong with the skin? Too pale, or...? (My actual skintone is considerably darker than that of my avatar, though I mostly pass for white except in the summer.)

I especially like the winky face expression. In real life, my eyebrows move independently, and it is quite common for me to do lopsided eyebrow grins :D.

[quote author:pixelchu link=topic=1501.msg39287#msg39287 date=1196664021]

A random girl I drew. Half-assed BG. Her name is Jo. :p Repost.
[/quote]
Not very half-assed. In my comment that got eaten by the forum deletion, I wrote how I liked Jo's clothing (purple!), but was really impressed by the level of detail in the trees, especially the bark. The level of detail with the knotholes makes the bark look realistic, even though it's clearly a pixel art.

Lillian "Lil" the Coyote is amazing. I love the robot arm!

Status
Not open for further replies.