• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Random PokePoll Topic (61): Still watch the Anime?

Straight out of Japan or dubbed - do you still watch Anime series?

• Yes, avidly

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Only occasionally or for specific episodes

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Not at all

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I only watch the movies

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Never watched it to begin with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've never used Meowth outside FR/LG and it was fantastic, taking out the bulk of Agatha's team. Besides that, it was a fun Pokemon to use, although I never really got to levelling it much after Lavender Tower.

Skitty has always been there for me when it comes to contest, being the first ever Pokemon to win all 4 ribbon levels and in clean sweeps too! But I usually don't use it for battle. I might try teaching it thunderbolt, Hyper Beam and Blizzard, just like that Delcatty in that one Hoenn ep.

But for now, My vote goes to Shinx. I haven't come across an electric type this dependable since my Ampharos on G/S/C And I have a thing for 3-stage Pokemo0n, a factor no other feline pokemon possessed.

Randomness- Shinx is the only Pokemon in this Gen with a monosyllabic name

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
SHINX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just love it too much. It's part a three-way electric evolution!!! And it's one of my faves. It's so useful once it evolves into Luxray!!!! I still have one on my team in Pearl, and she's the most powerful of all my Pokemon! (level 45, hey, my parents smashed my DS, so I can't play it. It's very unlikely that they're going to buy me a new one, but I can always borrow my friends' DSes.)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Y'know, we really should've had a Ghost-Pokemon poll for this week. Considering that we have less than a week until Halloween. Oh well...

I was thinking the same, but oh wells. It didn't cross my mind at the time, and nobody had suggested it in advance. Too bad ^^;

I guess I'll state that I voted for Meowth. As much as I love my Luxray (even with its sorry movepool), I've never really liked Shinx's design. Glameow is okay by me, but nothing special. Skitty was awesome in the anime but I'm not a huge Delcatty fan... and Meowth is Meowth. The trios Meowth alone was enough to sway me towards its vote.

I'll have to go with meowth. Its the only one that I think is a realistic cat pokemon(all the others dont look like cats)

I still love my luxray though

I used to like Meowth but I feel like persian isn't strong enough in a competitive battle

Glameow seriously is just nasty, they didn't need more normal types, and having an ugly cat just didn't help

Skitty I'm slightly partial to but only because I used Delcatty in battle tower for a while in sapphire, theres just something about using covet on opponents that have good items ^_^

However i'm going with Shinx, I called mine Kori when playing through my japanese Diamond game (they only let you have 5 chars) and now its over on my Pearl game and occasiomoosely comes out to play, not as much since I raised Jynx and Togekiss though. Oh well, its still a badass ninja cat.

It's gonna be Shinx for me. Luxray is my favorite electric type of all time and it saved my butt in Diamond more times that I can count. Mine is named Neji because it can see through solid object's like Neji Hyuga's Byakungan (if it were female she would've been named Hinata). It was acting as both my electric and dark type before Weavile came along. But with its high attack it was begging for Volt Tackle. And really Luxray can use it so much better than the Pichu line ever could.

Skitty comes in a distant second...

Shinx REALLY doesn't count.

Because it isn't a normal type? Or because it doesn't look like a domestic cat like the others. Shinx is the cutest little lion cub ever. Maybe even cuter than Simba.

Anyway I think it's funny that Glameow is getting no love what so ever. It's actually my favorite after Skitty with it's boomerange shaped head. It does sort of remind me of Tom from Tom and Jerry. When I get access to WiFi I will be trading for it.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Because I don't want this to go down the drain, I have an idea for a poll....

How about favorite Team Rocket Pokemon? We can have Meowth, Persian, and all of Jessie and Jame's Pokemon that they have (or had) ever owned as choices. Or we can just do all of Jessie's Pokemon in one round, then all of Jame's Pokemon on another. Or did we already do this one as well?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Nope, hasn't been done yet, and since ALL of TRs Pokemon in one go would be a bit much, I think doing Jessie and James' teams individually one at a time is a fine idea.

Thanks for the input :)
-------------------------------------------------
Question: Favourite Feline (Base)? (Voting closed: October 31, 2007, 11:48:30 am)
Meowth - 4 (30.8%)
Skitty - 2 (15.4%)
Shinx - 7 (53.8%)
Glameow - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 13
---------------------------------------------------

We'll do Jessie's team first. New poll shall be up in a few mins.

And for the record, I voted Wobbufett... because there's just no way I couldn't vote for that guy. Best running gag Pokemon to ever grace the series, and after all this time I STILL love it.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Dustox, simply because that in the Anime, Jessie always wanted to use Dustox in the contests, which usually resulted into cheating (remember the time when she put this belt-thingy onto it, and then whenever Meowth pressed some button, something would shoot of of it?). I also remember the time when she thought that Cascoon was a Silcoon, so it would evolve into Beautifly. Instead, Cascoon evolved into Dustox, but Jessie wasn't angry; she was happy and thought it was "cute". Am I confusing anyone, because I watched the Chinese version of the episodes?

Anyways, I like Dustox just because I remember it more than the others Jessie had. Wobbufett, even though I remember it, is a bit too wierd for me.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
I HAD to vote for Wobby. XD No one can hate him. *from the background, "I do!"* *stab.* *dead.* No. One. Can. Hate. Him. >>

But srsly? I like them all and they all have a place in my heart... well... minus Lickitung, the thing didn't get all that much screen time when she had it... or maybe my memory fails me. But anyway, the thing disturbs me anyway >>

Wobbuffet by a long shot. It was funny that it actually had a chance to attack the group before. Cna't remember what episode Jessie learns that it has Counter and Mirror Coat. Too bad she forgot or else it might have gotten interesting. ANyways, he's always there for comic relief. It's just funny that way.

I had to go with Ekans/Arbok for this one. I've loved it ever since that time the Pokemon got stranded on the Island of Giant Pokemon (robots). It just has a place in my heart. I agree with Shiny_Eevee; Wobbuffet is too weird. I haven't taken to it yet. Because of the anime among other things Wobby is one of my least favorite Pokemon.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Y'know, a couple of years ago, I bought my partner Richard a cuddly Wobbuffet for his birthday. Richard doesn't play Pokemon, but he watches the anime with me while we eat dinner. (Sometimes, my students mock me for this, and I point out that Pokemon is no more brainless than any of the soap operas they watch :p). He empathises greatly with Wobbuffet, who he feels is horribly picked on and blamed for everything that goes wrong with Team Rocket - when all he wants is a quiet life! Richard draws a parallel between this and his own work/life situation. Hrm :). I have tried pointing out all the times when Wobba instigates things by e.g. eating the last rice ball, but Richard thinks that wastage of food is a Terrible Thing, and Wobba must be commended for it.

Here's a photo of our plushie Pokemon. Note that Wobbuffet is usually a) asleep on the sofa or b) being propelled across the room at high speed because he's "blasting off again" ;D.

I was going to vote Wobbs, but he's not really all that funny. The "That's true!" gag ran out long ago, and it only worked in Japanese. His Japanese name is similar to their phrase for "That's true." Every time he speaks, he pretty much says, "That's true" (and indicidentally Sudowudo's Japanese name, "Usokki," is derived from their word for "Liar").

Instead, I voted for Arbok. Not only is it still the coolest-looking snake Pokemon, it's still the coolest-looking "Jessie" Pokemon.

I decided to vote wobbufett as well, he is indeed one of the best running gags throughout the series. And the fact that he's one of Jessie's more powerful (?) and well-known pokemon has to count for something...

I had to vote for wobbufett just because of the "Why Wynaut" episode, it was just too funny seeing the two sitting there going "Wy, Wynaut" "Wob-bu-fett" for about 30 seconds. Call me immature all you like but you know it was awesome.

I never liked Arbok because the voice actor made it say "Char-bok" which always nagged me at the back of my mind even though I realise that it was probably due to making it try to hiss or something.

I was very tempted to vote for Likitung because jessie only caught it because it ate all their food on princess day and then it kicked total ass till it got beaten by Psyduck. Yes it didn't get much airtime, and the writers just wrote it out because they wanted Wobbufett in the series, but it was still a good pok

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I was going to vote Wobbs, but he's not really all that funny. The "That's true!" gag ran out long ago, and it only worked in Japanese. His Japanese name is similar to their phrase for "That's true." Every time he speaks, he pretty much says, "That's true" (and indicidentally Sudowudo's Japanese name, "Usokki," is derived from their word for "Liar").

No offense, Gardie Master, but generally everyone already knows this information ^^;;

And for the record, that's certainly not the only reason I love Wobba either. Just it existing in general - dubbed or Japanese original - has turned into a running gag, and for that it is awesome =)

I had to vote for wobbufett just because of the "Why Wynaut" episode, it was just too funny seeing the two sitting there going "Wy, Wynaut" "Wob-bu-fett" for about 30 seconds. Call me immature all you like but you know it was awesome.

One of the best moments in all of the Johto saga, and it's definitely what made me love Wynaut as much as I do now XD

I love Arbok. It's the original, and I was so sad to see them go. :'( I hope we'll see them again... probably not. Nope.

Likitung was so stupid. I'm sorry, but what was his point? D-tox was cool, but I'm not one for the Moths. Wobbafet's funny and has been around since Jhoto, but he just isn't too popular with me. Th others were okay, but again, not good enough.

AL has Voted!

I decided to cast my vote for Arbok, mainly because I like the origional 150, pluse I think Arboc really captured her inner essance, so to speak.

I also like how in the episode where the Pokemon got separated from their trainers that Ekans and Koffing refused to fight Ash's Pokemon despite Meowth's urging, and Ekans explained that Pokemon weren't naturally evil just because their trainers were. That's probably deeper than any of her other Pokemon got.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I never liked Arbok because the voice actor made it say "Char-bok" which always nagged me at the back of my mind even though I realise that it was probably due to making it try to hiss or something.

It's always sounded more like "Tsarboka" to me. "Tsar" pronounced tuh-sar (not like the Russian word tsar!) then bok-a. I could never understand why Arbok's sound had an -a at the end as well as the beginning.

Hell, I hate all the dub voice actors. Could never understand why there was so much fuss about them being replaced *heretic!* :p

Gardevoir Master, I've normally heard Wobbuffet's Japanese name translated as "That's right!" rather than "That's true!". Wynaut is "Really?" and Wobbuffet is "That's right!". There's a slight difference in my variant of English, though I'm not sure I can explain it at nearly-midnight when I got up at 7.45am ;).

My favorite is Dustox because it used to really crack me up, how Jessie thought her Cascoon was a Silcoon. It just sounded really awkward and funny to me...then, after wanting a Beautifly for so long, she says Dustox is more beautiful. That just leaves me laughing so hard I get tears in my eyes.

Arbok was cool, too, but it isn't my favorite because, even though it was her birthday present, Jessie just releases it. What the...? What sense does that make?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Question: Favourite Pokemon of Jessie's team (past and present)? (Voting closed: December 04, 2007, 09:04:09 pm)
Ekans/Arbok - 6 (27.3%)/Lickitung - 1 (4.5%)/Wobbuffet - 12 (54.5%)/Dustox - 2 (9.1%)/Seviper - 1 (4.5%)/Total Voters: 21
-----------------------------------

Well, its been weeks (if not a month or two), but I've updated with a new poll. James has had way too many one-off Pokemon, none of which that were mentioned for obvious reasons XP

Like with Jessie, I'm going with one of the originals: Weepinbell/Victreebel
I'm not sure exactly why I like it the best. After the Victreebel went, none of James' other grass types were that funny to me with Carnivine being the worst thus far. I liked the storyline too: James stole Victreebel but that was edited in the dub.

Mime Jr. runs a very, very close second. It's soooooooooooo cute! I love how it mimics people. It would be cool if it evolved but then it wouldn't be sooooooooo cute!

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I've never seen any of Jame's Shinnoh Pokemon, so I wouldn't know anything about Carnivine and Mime Jr....

So I've going with Weepinbell/Victreebell. EAT JAME'S HEAD!!!! No, not you, Sem... I meant the Anime James...

I'm with Mime Jr. Mimicing every move. And the episode when Phanphy evolved and James had May's egg and May had Mime Jr. Totally funny when they stopped to exchange. Just for that, Mime Jr. wins.

Weepingbell/Victreebell come a close second. They were the only ones that put up a decent fight against Ash and Co. That and all the other Grass-pokemon he's had, only Weepingbell/Victeerbel were half decent to enjoy.

Weird. I was gonna ask about updating this poll.

I went for Manene, Jame's Pokemon pretty much did the same gags no matter what the region or what the Pokemon. In a sense, they didn't have much personality, at least until it was time for James to let them go in a touchy drama-filled episode. I guess in that case I would go for Manene, simply because out of all of James' Pokemon, it loved James, was a decent battler, and was so funny and adorable in doing all that. (For me, the best Manene moment was when it used Teeter Dance at the Cosplay convention, and Polka o Dolka played in the background.)

I would have to say Koffing/Weezing! They were the best of his pokemon and most original!
How are koffing and weezing more original then either of the others? O.o

I got to go with Mr. Mime Jr, its like Wabbufet but you know, cute :p plus the fact that it tickles makes it rule.

Close call with Cacnea for cuteness ( yes I find cacnea cute... dont pelt me with stones please)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Question: Favourite Pokemon of James' team (past and present)? (Voting closed: February 14, 2008, 06:21:40 pm)
Koffing/Weezing - 4 (28.6%)
Weepinbell/Victreebel - 4 (28.6%)

Cacnea - 3 (21.4%)
Chimecho - 0 (0%)
Mime Jr. - 3 (21.4%)
Carnivine - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 12
---------------------------------------------------

Heh. A tie. And not too many voters overall. Ah well... it happens XD

Plapti gave me the motivation to update this once more with the next polling idea. Will update with it in a few minutes :)

Vileplume cause Bellossoms look really boring. Generally, those things have an up tempo mood, while Vileplumes had in the shadows...That and read this post by clicking here. Vileplume gets my vote for being the underdog!!

Back when I did the cloning glitch and accidently deleted my Venasaur, Vileplume came to my rescue. Plus Bellossom doesn't fit with the line. So yay for Vileplume!!

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
For one, when Gloom evolves into Bellossom, it SHRINKS. That just strikes me as weird for some reason...

Next, Bellossom's colors are bad, and it doesn't seem to fit really well with the Oddish line.

Third, Vileplume has a bigger flower. And even though I think Bellossom is cuter, Vileplume is surely better.

Vileplume, hands down. I just never really took a liking to Bellossom...She just doesn't really fit the Oddish line in my opinion... Also I have this thing for original evolutions, so Vileplume has always had my heart ^^

Despite hating its fainting amination on stadium and colloseum (i assume PBR aswell but havent played it yet) I still go with vileplume, just purely because Bellossom annoys me too much, that and I've lost too many battle tower battles to belossoms haxing me out.