• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Random PokePoll Topic (61): Still watch the Anime?

Straight out of Japan or dubbed - do you still watch Anime series?

• Yes, avidly

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Only occasionally or for specific episodes

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Not at all

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I only watch the movies

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Never watched it to begin with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I guess I'm alone with my vote for Meganium so far then, but not alone with my thoughts on the Johto starters as a whole. People complained that the original "favourite starter poll" wasn't fair to Johto, but I'm starting to think it was... As a trio, they just don't stand out as much as the other gens do (maybe a bit because all three are solid elements, but probably mostly because Meganium and Typhy's designs are too similar to their pre-evos) =/

That said, I've never cared for Feraligatr much (Totodile is the best-looking stage of that line), and while I like Typhlosion, I like Quilava more. That leaves Meganium, and while it is a bit bland, its rather cute and looks great in the Anime. I hate to say it (*hides from Stel and Oak*), but while I do like Bayleef, I like Meganium slightly more ^^;

I doubt anyone will complain if we do a Hoenn starter poll after this/in the near future too, eh? I'm tempted to go for the middle stagers with it ;)

I don't know, I really like 'em all pretty much equally. ^_^;;;

But for the purposes of this poll, I voted for Meganium. ^_^ I really like Chikorita, and Meganium was my favorite grass starter EVAR. And I think I like Chikorita, Bayleef, and Meganium equally, too. ^_^

Plus, my favorite team of RP characters I've ever done had Kasai the insane Chikorita/Bayleef. She and her trainer, Timbera (who you may remember if you did Team Magnolia at Pokeschool), were fun to write together. ^_^

So yeah, I voted for Meganium. Go Johto! *waves a flag*

Edit: Just saw the results for the last poll...YAY! DEWGONG! *glomps*

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
"That said, I've never cared for Feraligatr much (Totodile is the best-looking stage of that line), and while I like Typhlosion, I like Quilava more. That leaves Meganium, and while it is a bit bland, its rather cute and looks great in the Anime."

Agreed wholeheartedly. ^_^

Although, I like Bayleef more than Meganium simply because of the headleaf of DOOM. Meganium kinda looks like it doesn't exactly... belong, after the rest of the line. But Meganium, at least, looks nice. Unlike a certain other grass starter's final form

*decides to actually explain her vote for once*

Out of all the starters, I initially started with a Cyndaquil, sheerly for the sake of trying out the fire-type. After all, I loved Charmander in the first game, so I was hoping for an equally unique Pokemon. The undramatic-changes kinda disappointed me, but once I had tried out the others, I came to my own stubborn conclusion.

Chikorita is adorable but I never could use it well ---- Bayleef looks cool, but I never used grass-types in the game, so bleh ---- and Meganium looked too...too...odd, to me? *shrugs*

Totodile was my favorite starter, with its cutesy crocodile-appearance, but... --- Croconaw was my LEAST favorite Pokemon, nearly in the entire game. Some sort of Tarzan-Croc...thingie...with...yeah...*shakes head* --- Feraligatr looked absolutely mean-tastic to me, and I'm a sucker for "OMG IT'S KA-WAI-II!" Pokemon. ;D

Cyndaquil was adorable too, but I would've been fonder if it had, guess what....eyes. Just like with Brock, I like there to be EYES on things :-X ---- Quilava is my favorite of all the starter-volutions, for sheer cool-ness mixed with cuddle-a-bility ---- Typholosion, while being a Big Quilava on two legs, is still preferable to me over Meganium or Feraligatr, whom I just didn't favor.

All in all, I just think Typholosion is cuter - yes cuter - while still maintaining its "I'm a final Evolution, rawr" look. *pats Meganium* Sowwy. *cowers away from violent Feraligatr*

*voted for Typholosion, for sake of stating the obvious*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Favourite Johto Starter? (Voting closed: Today at 03:09:32 PM)
Meganium - 3 (25%)/Typhlosion - 6 (50%)/Feraligatr - 3 (25%)/Total Voters: 12

Fire-types pwnz j00? ;)

----------------------------------------------------

Hmm... I don't really have any ideas for weekend polls, so I think I'll just do another few five-day polls. I'd like to do a Hoenn starter poll too (my vote, as stated earlier, is for the mid stagers), but me thinks I'll take another of DDB's ideas and throw out a Legendary trio poll instead.

So, to go along with the Johto starter poll, we're going to have a Johto trio poll: aka. the legendary dogs/beasts/whatever you wanna call 'em. I personally go with beasts, so that's what I'll use for the polling :)

244-1.png
or
245-2.png
or
243-1.png

Heh... I actually like Suicune's RS sprite better than its DP sprite, but meh :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, the elusive legendary dogs...I only ran into one once during all my exloration on Silver version. :-\

Anyways, I'm vouching for Suicine; Raikou is fairly nice, aside from having a shut-in-the-door tail and lame-o purple cloud on its head. I just thought its face looked to much like a walrus's...or like it has a mustache. Entei never appealed to me - simply too much like Raikou, and vice versa, and too bulky. Plus, its cloud-thingie-on-its-head looks out of place as well.

Suicine, at least, looks like it should have hair-like stuff, with the look of elegance. On that note, it stands out noticably from the other two by its entire build, devoid of the mustache-object and bulky figure. While I don't particularly adore the rather bland diamond pattern on its hide, Suicine is the most original/unique out of the three legendary dogs, thus gets meh vote. *wasted a bunch of time posting nearly nothing at'll* ;D

*votes for Suicine, rawr*

Hmmm it would have to come down to suicune and Raikou (Entei was too overrated :p) but I think I'll have to say Raikou. I pick Raikou because of it's appearance I guess. A lot of people think, if the legendaries had genders, suicune would be female but Raikou looks female to me also. It may not have grace or ferociousness like Entei and Suicune but it definitly has something they lack which is spunk and attitude 8) especially when you look at it's D/P sprite, which I think looks totally wicked! I mean look at that pose! .......*coughs* anyway.... yah Raikou ( and I agree with Linky I don't like suicunes D/P sprite either. It just dosen't look right :-\)

*double rawr and a hiss ;p*

I voted Suicune strictly because it was the only member of the Legendary Beast Trio to have a starring role in a movie. The Entei that was in "Spell of the Unown" was just a figment of a little girls imagination that the Unown made real and Raikou's only received a starring role in a 3-part Chronicles Episode (And Ash never come across Raikou).

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
sry. I havent done the random pokepoll in a while. Getting back on topic I voted for Suicune.

So, why exactly did you pick Suicune then...? We've been over this before. In the topic body, people don't want to know which Pokemon you picked, they want to know why you picked it :p

Anyways, I voted Suicune because ever since watching it in the fourth movie, its captivated my attention. As Firefox said, it seems much more elegant and has a more streamline build than the other two, and I generally agree when people artistically represent it as more wolf-like than feline (it's the face). Plus... its shade of blue is quite pretty as well. So, yeah. I don't dislike Entei or Raikou (they're all rather interesting creatures), but Suicune deserves my vote.

I voted for Entei. It was always my favourite of the trio to train, and unlike the other two it wasnt completely overrated in the metagame.

I've always had a soft spot for Raikou, actually. ^_^;; I always felt it was underrepresented. Entei had the movie, and Suicune had the game AND the movie. Raikou had...the TV special. -_- I also thought it looked the most like a cat. >_<

Plus...I just think it looks so cool! *huggles*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It was still based around the Pokemon "Entei", though, which is quite a lot of attention, so I see exactly where Persian is coming from with that.

Yep. That is what I meant. Even if it wasn't the REAL ENTEI, it still gave Entei a lot of coverage in a pretty cool role. Now I imagine Entei as a father...awww...^_^

But I always felt as if Raikou was underrepresented, and felt sowwy for it. Plus, it's cool. Usually, I seem to like underdogs/cats/beasts, so that's maybe why? ^_^;;;

I'm gonna have to go with entai on this one. It's a fire type and I love fire types, plus it's the only one I've ever seev in the games and that was for ten seconds in my silver version before it used roar on me and i spent the next ten day chasing it all over the map.

I'm gonna have to go with entai on this one. It's a fire type and I love fire types, plus it's the only one I've ever seev in the games and that was for ten seconds in my silver version before it used roar on me and i spent the next ten day chasing it all over the map.

For future reference: DON'T YOU USE MEAN LOOK AGAINST IT!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hah. I had a sneaky feeling this had closed... Life's getting distracting again XD

Question: Favourite of the legendary beasts? (Voting closed: January 24, 2007, 08:10:58 PM)
Entei - 2 (20%)/Suicune - 6 (60%)/Raikou - 2 (20%)/Total Voters: 10

-----------------------------------------------------

I've muttered about it enough, so here it is. Fave Hoenn starters - middle stagers. Take your pick.

253-1.png
or
256-1.png
or
259-2.png

After all the ranting I do over how Grovyle's design is better than Sceptile, I'd be a major hypocrite not to choose it... So yar. My vote goes to Grovyle, though I must admit that I've warmed up to Combusken quite a bit over last generation (both due to the Anime and having one in RP). As for Marshtomp... I'm not overly fond of the designs for that whole line, and while I love Swampert for its power and type-combo (and 3D model), Marshtomp doesn't really hold my interest beyond it being the pre-evo of Swampert and a starter stage.

Grovyle here as well. Its a ninja dino!

Although out of the lines, I'd have to say the torchic line is my favorite. I've just never really warmed up to Combustiken because the sprits have always looked weird.And I just hate how the mudkip line looks

Although I love Swampert, I can't say the same for Marshtomp...
I too have warmed up to Combusken, mostly due to the anime, but Grovyle is still my favorite beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I voted marshtomp... Although I think grovyle is very cool I liked marshtomp the most due to its general look and it being a dual type.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I love Grovyle. It's probably the only thing of its line I REALLY love. Treecko's awesome, but it just doesn't hold a candle to Grovyle. And you already know how I feel about Sceptile. :p

Combusken - yeah. It looked bloody ridiculous at first, but in time I've developed a rather major liking to it.

And as for Marshtomp ('So I hurd you lik murshtompz.' Ugh. x_X) - It personally ranks very high in my list of 'fugliest water type evar'. The type combo's interesting, but so fucking what. The only good thing about that thing is that it evolves into Swampert :p

So yeah. Grovyle it is. W00T FOR PLANT LIZARDES.

So, why exactly did you pick Suicune then...? We've been over this before. In the topic body, people don't want to know which Pokemon you picked, they want to know why you picked it :p

;D O yeah. I voted suicune because I always thought he was the best out of the three. I also voted him because he was awesome in the Celebi movie. and he looks cool.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Favourite Hoenn Starter? (Mid stage) (Voting closed: January 30, 2007, 03:40:06 PM)
Grovyle - 9 (69.2%)/Combusken - 3 (23.1%)/Marshtomp - 1 (7.7%)/Total Voters: 13

Grovyle ftw ^^

-------------------------------------------------

Researcher poll is a go, but without Prof. Rowan. Even if we are getting more English names now, I'd still rather keep Sinnoh stuff (unless it's based mostly on looks or Pokemon stats, ala the 'best Ice-type' poll) out of these polls until D/P are released (or the DP Anime starts in the US).

Yeah, I'm picky like that.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
That's worthy of being someone's avatar. Totally worthy. ^^

I still went for Oak, though... yeah, the nostalgia vote... Plus I have always seen him as THE Pokemon authority in that world, no matter who came along afterwards.

I was THIS close to voting for Oak, cuzza nostalgia and good memories (I thought his sprite looked cute/funny when it walked around)...but then I remembered...

PROFESSOR ELM! O_O He is awesome. Not only does he supply you with your choice of Gen. II starters (which are my favorites), he looks GEEKY. And COOL at the same time. I think his hair is awesome. So geeky...hahah!

So he gets my vote. *waves Johto flag*

I voted for Oak, mostly because of nostalgia, however there were a lot of prime candidates there...
I never really liked Elm, but pretty much all the others are awesome in their own special way - which also contributed to my vote... I had a hard time deciding which one to go for :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
*Nods* They all have their qualities that I enjoy.

I actually have quite a thing for Bill, or at least that machine he has - y'know, the cell-splicing one (which left him as a human-headed Rattata in the Pokemon Adventures manga). It has easy potential for whipping up a cool fic or RP. I've already done the fic-thing with it, yet not the RP yet...

^_^

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I voted for Gary... Because generally he rules, and I think he has great potential as a researcher. :p *has also drawn him again on my latin work ^^"*

Ok since there was a tie, I voted. I picked Oak because he's so well known, so a lot of people know about him more then the others. He's like the main professor :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Wheee. 12 hour work days absorb your free time and drain your energy. Expect these sorts of delays to happen more often over the coming weeks (especially in a couple when I go on vacation).

Anyways, results of the last poll:

Question: Favourite Pokemon Researcher? (Voting closed: February 05, 2007, 09:20:15 PM)
Professor Oak - 5 (38.5%)
Professor Elm - 2 (15.4%)
Professor Birch - 1 (7.7%)
Bill - 1 (7.7%)
Gary Oak - 3 (23.1%)
Professor Ivy - 1 (7.7%)
Total Voters: 13

-------------------------------------------------------------

I wasn't sure what to put up next, so I poked dax about it. He suggested Favourite dub intro from the gen 3 Pokemon Anime saga. Sounds good to me, and a bit of a break from the usual pollings. None of gen 3's intros are really great so it'd be interesting to see which people choose :p

Glad to be of assistance ;)

To refresh my memory for this one, I had to re-watch a bit of the episodes from those seasons - MAAAN I miss the old voice actors. *sigh*

Very well, I almost picked the Pokémon Advanced intro, because I like it once it kicks off, but it has such a slow start, I just couldn't go for it. Advanced Battle is nice, but frankly, I'm tired of it - and I never really liked the Battle Frontier intro, so...

I'm voting Advanced Challenge - it's good all around!