• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Site Suggestion Topic

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Hmm, once enough People have Mystery Dungeon Time and Darkness Add an option for the Friend code under your Profile. Maybe a Board for it too, Perhaps, so it doesen't Clutter? I understand if you don't want to do this.

Friend Codes will be added in the summer, when the European game comes out. Just 'cos.

Also, we already have a board for all things WiFi within the 4th Generation of Pokemon. I can't see a few mystery dungeon related topics requiring their own board.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I saw someone on the forums asking about the natures. Can you incorperate that into the main site somehow if you aren't trying already? It will be easier for people because some WiFi traders ask for natures that raise a certain stat.(Attack for example.)

This summer will, hopefully at some point before I run out of all available free time for the next 3 years or so, see the entire game section up and running again. Assuming I can finally figure out what way it should work out, that is. (As said before, all suggestions on what format you'd like the section to be in EXTREMELY welcome).

I will also see next month, after getting the craziness of this month out of the way, if I can get the time to finish off other stuff - like the TCM upgrade that's been going on for months now...

Alex, how about an index style for the Game Section. Divide it up into sections by the game then throw the data into a huge bank and link it to the right spot. Like the link found here. That's the style I like, maybe it'll work there. It looks very professional and makes it easy to find the information you need.

Also, we already have a board for all things WiFi within the 4th Generation of Pokemon. I can't see a few mystery dungeon related topics requiring their own board.

A PINNED Topic seems like a great idea for this when the Europe game comes out. Topics like "I need to be rescued". Then by the same person the next day, "I was defeated again".

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
A PINNED Topic seems like a great idea for this when the Europe game comes out. Topics like "I need to be rescued". Then by the same person the next day, "I was defeated again".

Sounds good, feel free to make a topic now for US use though - I'll sticky it and point to it when the European release comes around.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I mentioned this to Katie yesterday, and she told me to make a post here about it.

I think there should be a board for games, such as the SSBB Hurt and Heal, as well as the Crush a Wish game.. A board where posts don't count towards the total, and to keep the games separate from actual discussions.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Maybe the Misc Discussions forum should just be changed to Misc and Games and not have the posts count there at all.

It's similar to a setup that works very well at another forum I'm on - should be okay for here I guess.

How about mentions some of the egg moves of baby Pokemon that can't be learned by the parents (Aimed more at the Incense Pokemon). Take Budew and Roselia for example. Budew can get Extrasensory, but Roselia can't. Maybe a note before the Third Gen moves for all moves that could've been learned before evolution, whether it be by breeding or Leveling up.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Bit of both, the warning system got eaten in the upgrade a few days ago. There'll be something setup to replace it when I have the time to look at the options and set something up.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
To do that, Famyx, Alex'd need the Giratina Origin Form sprite, which no one has presently. Not the actual sprite. Sure, we can get that silly scan version, but that'd be much lower quality.

I don't know if this site already done this or not, so here goes, I think there should be a place in the art thread where the admins keep a list of all the best fan-made pokemon to make a fan-based pokedex. You could elect judges that tell if a pokemon is good enough or not to be in a pokedex, and you could set up an exaple to how you want the info of the pokemon to go and what should be in the info. (A digimon site had this, I was thinking it could work here)

To do that, Famyx, Alex'd need the Giratina Origin Form sprite, which no one has presently. Not the actual sprite. Sure, we can get that silly scan version, but that'd be much lower quality.

Not quite, Yoshi.  I found this sprite on Bulbapedia.  It is saved as PNG, so it can easily be recolored to be shiny when the TCM gets that update.

Free for anyone, but preferablly Alex, to use!  However, I would like to ask that everyone give credit, not to me, but Bulbapedia, for doing whatever they did to find it.  EDIT: Everyone but Alex, that is.

giratina.png

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg224/PurpleHero/giratina.png

EDIT 2: And for all you fans of transparency,
giratina-1.png

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg224/PurpleHero/giratina-1.png

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Alex, adding some of the better known Canadian/World Holidays to the calendar might be nice. (Most notably Canada Day). I noticed that Canada Day isn't on the Calendar. And we have some members from Canada, so it might prove useful.

Just an fyi, I added Canada Day and a few other notable holidays (mostly Canadian holidays) to the calender, but as far as World Holidays go I'm going to suggest that people PM me the dates if they want to see them added. I don't mind putting them in at all, I'd just rather not go track them all down myself x)

Teh Purple one.... Its not ALL the way transparent...

Thanks for telling me! I'm partly color blind, so I couldn't tell. I edited the picture to be all the way, and I made sure on Paint by seeing if the transparent places came out black and they did! Thanks again Shado!

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
... No. We don't need silly pictures in the 'dex. >> And you, Mr. Paul, are warned. To avoid banishment to the realm you should read the rules and follow them.

Was thinking about it today, why don't you guys here have a Karma system? (Sure at least 1 of you admins know about it - if not, it allows users to applaud and smite other users with the said value appearing under your post count and in your profile).

If you want it, but are worried about n00bs abusing it, there are mods to the karma mod which disable smites, allow karma only once per so many posts, that limit you to using karma after you reach X posts, etc.

Just a thought, or three.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I see no real reason for it here, to be honest. It has no real purpose - except to be spammed. When I put it up on one of my sites, the members just kept karma'ing their friends for no apparent reason.

lol@dead sticky topic.

Here's a crazy idea. What are your thoughts on changing the rankings? Newbie to Master makes sense on a Pokemon Forum but the stuff after that is not as well-themed. Hercules and God being examples. It's not anything major, but I'm just thinking a little change could be nice.

Now for an even crazier suggestion. A while back you had mentioned a use for badges outside the TCM, it was back then wehn you were looking for ribbons and the like. My thoughts center around the Pokeballs that signify our ranks. Since you start with one counting down to six, with special members possesing Great Balls, Master Balls and whatever kind of ball Jet has hovering under his name; I was thinking it sort of made sense for us to replace the balls with badges.
Badges represent the maturity of a trainer's skill and prowess with every victory. In a similar sense, it can work out as a reprsentation of a Charmsian's activity here.
It'll probably have to go through a lot of nitpicking, such as which regional set you would use, but rather than doing that, why not create badges uniquw to Pokecharms? Mods can each possess a badge that further describes who they are, such as a Hyrule-esque on for Linkachu or one shaped like a Reflector for Jet. I have considered that this might be a burden to program into the site, which is why I'll stop here, having now placed this idea on the table.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
lol@dead sticky topic.

Here's a crazy idea. What are your thoughts on changing the rankings? Newbie to Master makes sense on a Pokemon Forum but the stuff after that is not as well-themed. Hercules and God being examples. It's not anything major, but I'm just thinking a little change could be nice.

This has come up before, but since no-one's ever come up with anything that's actually better, we've seen no need to crack the tradition they've established.

Now for an even crazier suggestion. A while back you had mentioned a use for badges outside the TCM, it was back then wehn you were looking for ribbons and the like. My thoughts center around the Pokeballs that signify our ranks. Since you start with one counting down to six, with special members possesing Great Balls, Master Balls and whatever kind of ball Jet has hovering under his name; I was thinking it sort of made sense for us to replace the balls with badges.
Badges represent the maturity of a trainer's skill and prowess with every victory. In a similar sense, it can work out as a reprsentation of a Charmsian's activity here.
It'll probably have to go through a lot of nitpicking, such as which regional set you would use, but rather than doing that, why not create badges uniquw to Pokecharms? Mods can each possess a badge that further describes who they are, such as a Hyrule-esque on for Linkachu or one shaped like a Reflector for Jet. I have considered that this might be a burden to program into the site, which is why I'll stop here, having now placed this idea on the table.

It would, indeed, require a modification of the forum software to be able to do that and considering we don't have the materials to use - and have had trouble in rustling up someone to make such things in the past - I doubt it's worth the effort.

My thoughts center around the Pokeballs that signify our ranks. Since you start with one counting down to six, with special members possesing Great Balls, Master Balls and whatever kind of ball Jet has hovering under his name; I was thinking it sort of made sense for us to replace the balls with badges.

Mods can each possess a badge that further describes who they are, such as a Hyrule-esque on for Linkachu or one shaped like a Reflector for Jet. I have considered that this might be a burden to program into the site, which is why I'll stop here, having now placed this idea on the table.

They are Dive Balls I believe. Yes they are pretty. But, I'm not the only one that has them. Ruko does too. And one other person I believe.

And as much as I would love a badge shaped like a Reflector, I can imangine the hassle of doing all the work to do it. That and it sounds like a total pain to install the stuff needed to do it.

I do love your thinking though RX.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Adding to what Alex has said, I think another reason why we originally decided not to use all Pokemon-member related ranks is because it's a cliche to Pokeforums. Having ranks like Gym Leader, Elite, etc... I'm sure it's been done before, even if I have no quick example - it'd just be expected, eh?

That's why we chose ours as we did, so they weren't just a carbon copy of other ranks on other Pokemon websites. I'm all for a change as well, but I'd still want it to be unique to Charms and not just the typical Pokemon-like ranks.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
IMHO, the racks we DO have ARE original, unique to 'Charms, and generally pretty awesome. I think we do need, as was suggested in chat, a couple more for those that have loads and loads of posts, though. :)

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I personally like the idea of a Karma system, even though that matter was ages ago. There are multiple ways to prevent spam with it, as someone said, only allowing one Karma change per so many posts.

The best way I could think of, to prevent friends from just Karma-ing each other up every time they can; allow people to give karma to a particular person only once. If I give Alex a +1, then I can never give him Karma again, but I can still move in and give someone else a -1 if I want to.

There may not be a mod for that, sadly :/
And if there was, it's likely that the karma would lose its anonymity.

How about a contest like thing? Much like people make their own characters we could have pokemon and "dress them up" like they were in a contest. Better yet, putting pokemon in different poses to show off their beauty? That sounds like fun. ;D

Design poke-eggs maybe... sounds almost pointless though but I thought I'd throw that in there.

hmm... last one: How about designing bases? So people new at sprite editting can have something to start with? Such as a character body with no face, just the structure like a manican. Or a drag and drop flash player "game" that lets them interchange parts (Ex: smiling expression can be changed into mean/aggressive expression).

What if 'Charms had some sort of Hall of Fame to preserve a bunch of members' really outstanding works, like someone's really awesome picture they drew or a really good sprite or a wonderful fic or something.

Just an idea I had earlier today that popped randomly in my mind. It'd kinda be nice for the people who have some of the stuff mentioned above preserved like that so that they(and other members as well) don't have to go digging back through all the pages of that particular board to find his/her work.

Just an idea. That is all.

Fairly sure that this hasn't been suggested as of yet.

Thought of having a thread stickied somewhere labeled "Official Be Back Soon Thread" or similar?

Does what it says on the tin. Allow people to know that they'll be going for X days and back on Y day. Just thought of it because I realised I'll be needing it soon :p

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Hm, seems a little too likely to be spammed by dramawhore n00bs to me. Plus, you can pass the word around via chat or PM to those that are interested anyway.

I'm just wondering, but I'd rather like it if there was a place to put one's Platinum friend code in like there is for the Diamond and Pearl games. Also, I would enjoy it if, after it comes out in Europe and such, you could add the new Platinum sprites of the pokemon that got them to the section where you choose your avatar and such, and possibly on the TCM, when and if it comes up again.