• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Site Suggestion Topic

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
As provoked by the update yesterday to the Pokedex, please use this topic to suggest improvements to the site concerning the Pokedex, articles for the main site, improvements for the forums etc.

Suggesting something does not mean it will be done, so don't whine and moan about it at a later date if it isn't implemented. :)

Oh.
Would it be possible to have a little button or something of that nature above the box where you edit your signature, and when you click on it, it says, 'Your signature is too large' or, 'Your signature is an acceptable size' or something like that? Just so no admins have to shorten anybody else's signature?

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I know I'm not an admin, but...

Only n00bs would ever make an extra-large sig by using enter over three times. But sometimes I find that I need a preview of my going-to-be-altered sig, just to see if my sig's going to be too large or something. Would it be okay for a signature preview page to be available?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
There isn't a way to crack into the forum's code THAT much for it to analyze a person's signature and tell its final size on a per-pixel level AUTOMATICALLY, you know.

Also - it's kind of difficult to decide on a set of rules that constitute what are signatures allowed and not allowed to have. Limiting the amount of pictures in it by rules is not efficient, as images can range from being small inoffensive icons to huge quiz results, redundant 'adoptables', trainer cards, and other pointlessly annoying things. Limiting a signature size to a certain height is also ineffective, because, no offense, but not everyone in the forum has adequate brain power to check the size of their sig in comparison to something.

The closest thing we could do to prevent people from abusing signature sizes is to limit the amount of characters that can go into a sig - as we HAVE done once before - but that just ends up pissing the lot of us off and in the end still doesn't do much but get complaints out of everyone.

So, there's no easy answer I can give you, Mudskipper, and no easy answer I can give you, Shiny. Basically, your profile window (display, rather than edit) shows you a preview of your signature - but because it's in compressed window format it's hard to tell how large it would look like on the forums themselves as parts of posts.

In the end, we must trust the common sense of our members to NOT abuse signatures, and edit signatures that bother us - as we reserve the right to do.

Be thankful, we could have made that a warnable offense.

Also, Shiny: I don't see what relevance does "I know I'm not an admin" have to do with your question - this thread was posted here for a reason - to allow feedback to flow from EVERYONE, not just admins. If we wanted to keep this a discussion closed to admins, we wouldn't have posted it here. :p

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football

I guess I have no brainpower? I blame the four hour quiz I took right before I posted here....

But anyways, it may be really dumb and pointless, but can we have some Pokemon related smilies instead of these yellow things? Told ya it was a kind of dumb request, but I thought it might... spice things up a bit? It's a little thing really, but... [size=3pt]I'll stop talking now.[/size]

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
There wont be any replacements of the normal smilies (it'd piss more people off than it'd satisfy for one thing), but Pokemon smilies isn't such a bad idea. I'll look into it.

Don't forget this topic is for the site as a whole - and that I'll be able to actually do more concerning the main site as I don't really have any intention of haxing SMF more than it already is with the skin and Friend Codes stuff.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
So, concerning the main site, I was thinking, even though it may take up a LOT of time and work, maybe you can have the Pokemon animations in the Pokedex? Like, instead of just the two main sprites on there, you can put the entire animation on there or something.

And maybe you can also include the old 1st and 2nd gen. sprites? Maybe?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The way that the sprites are animated makes that impossible - they're not animated by frames, but rather by the game altering the image by moving it, shrinking it, expanding it, warping it otherwise, etc. To animate them as they are in the game would require recreating that - which would never be done accurately and would take forever to do.

Which is sorely not worth it.

I think the Pokedex has more than enough imagery as it is, and inserting the 1st and 2nd Generation sprites would just overcrowd it unecessarily. People don't use a Pokedex to look at sprites, they use it for the rest of the stuff on the page - so there's no point in slowing down people accessing that.

How about adding a spot for the FC's for the Advance Wars game in the profle area?. Some people must have the game by now and it can go online.

Note: Advance Wars:Days of Ruin for you who don't know what I'm talking about.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Done. And updated the friend code section in your profiles to include NiGHTS, Batallion Wars II, Guitar Hero III for the Wii, Sonic Rush Adventure and Zelda Phantom Hourglass too.

The next update... much to my sourness... will be for SSBB...

Here's something I have personally wondered for a long time, but what about member warnings for violating a rule? I won't say the one-two-three strikes idea is good nor bad for that opinion I'll keep to myself, but is there anyway to have a warning reduced?

I'm saying, for example, you start out here and on your first day you break a rule, maybe two and get two warnings. However, you then started becoming a regular member- maybe one who is respected through the site, maybe someone who is nothing more than "that regular". It has now been several months, maybe even two years since you made those two rule violations, but would you still have to bear those mistakes? And what happens if you then make one slip-up and earn that third warning? If I understand correctly, the third warning means you are out... but now it was only a mistake and you were a regular for so, so long. Would they still deserve that ban?

And so, here's my idea- Perhaps give members a chance to have their warnings reduced. Let's say they can get a warning reduced by one for every three months they have not broken a rule and have been active. Needless to say, you aren't going to reduce a n00b who broke a rule on their first day, disappeared for awhile and then came back expecting a warning reduction.

Either way, that's my suggestion.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
As said before, the warning system is being re-evaluated. I'll get the discussion fired back up on it and see to getting it finalised sooner though.

Ah, so you already are thinking of it? Cool beans. I like hearing that kind of stuff. The only thing I love more than ideas being considered good enough is an idea brought up is already being discussed.

Ok, thanks a bunch, Doc. I'll look forward to these results.

i know this has been said before but could you put shiny pokemon on the trainer card maker an option like the gender is, bu if it is too much trouble with the codeing then don't do it.

edit: also u could get rid of the gender sign of pokemon that come under one gender only(had hole team that was genderless on trainer card apart from gladly (my spelling sucks))

How 'bout... LASER CANNONS! LOTS AND LOTS OF LASER CANNONS :D .... But seriously, I know this is possible, because I've seen someone do it before.. If you could have the "Messages" Button Blink when there's a new message in the inbox.. it would catch the eye a bit more... That, and sometimes I've missed messages because I didnt notice the Number thing Next to the button, untill like, a week later.. ::)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hello, i may be new to this site but i have an idea...Why not a feature about Pokemon's connections to legends and mythology? Other fansites have done it! ::)

You realize asking like that is the surest way NOT to see the article done. Besides that, we don't do things because "other fansites have done it". If anything, that's more reason not to bother with it because the topic's already been beaten to death and it'd be a waste of time/energy just mimicking someone else :p

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Lawl. She wasn't being offensive, she was just answering you. :p And she's right, we're not about to do something simply because "other fansites have done it." Its just not logical. We at Charms strive for the different and the new, hence the TC Maker.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Well, its not as if its your idea, since other sites have done it, you more like borrowed it from them. So I don't honestly see why it should matter whether or not we positively reinforce it, since you shouldn't care either way. I think you're making a big deal out of a little thing. ;P

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Let me get this straight. You walk over here, make an inane post and expect to be scritched behind the ears for it?

Not to mention get offended when people respond in a non-offensive manner that frankly we aren't exactly big fans of cloning other websites' features?

And you are continuously beating this dead horse too...

Attention whoring does NOT call for positive reinforcement. In fact, it calls for what I just did. Have a nice day. >>;

Hey Doc, how about making it so that we can see the old Staff Showcases by Katie. Unless that's part of her Staff Showcase.

Is there currently a way to get to the home page of Pokecharms without retyping the address? If there isn't, could a link be added or is that too pointless?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Don't forget this topic is for the site as a whole - and that I'll be able to actually do more concerning the main site as I don't really have any intention of haxing SMF more than it already is with the skin and Friend Codes stuff.

So if you would have read the thread you would have realized the answer to that would be negative. And since you didn't, this warrants a warning, yes?

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
OMGosh.

It's something that only people who have more than 50 posts can have. I know that it's annoying (I was there once, and so was everyone else, remember that), but if you posted more, then you'll be able to have your own custom avatar.

It kind of encourages others to post more, but hopefully it won't help encourage spamming up the forums just to get your own avatar up.

I have my own suggestion: On the main site, can we see the old Member Showcases? I've really wanted to reread some, like Sakamoto's and Firefox's/Trufflez's and Snapdragon's. I mean, of course, there's always the link after a member showcase, but when there's a lot of news before the next showcase, there's no way to see the old Showcases unless you've saved and/or memorized the URL of the showcase thingy, right? Am I making any sense?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
All Katie's member showcases are here. There'll be a more obvious and permanent link to them somewhere at some point in the near future.

I agree with Carmen as far as having a button to return to the home page from the forums index, so that we can have a direct link to it instead of having to retype it into the thing at the top.
As far as game information, I think that you should have the necessary info for Pokemon, but also so info on secret things that some, "unintelligent" people might not be able to figure out if not for a pokemon site like this. Maybe some item info would be good too.

EDIT: I just saw something on tSR that might be a good idea, since there are a lot of people here who don't read the rules, and topics are getting locked everywhere, maybe it'd be a good idea to have an area for all the locked topics, that way they don't crowd the regular forums, and people who didn'y see the little key symbol wouldn't try to reply to them.

I saw someone on the forums asking about the natures. Can you incorperate that into the main site somehow if you aren't trying already? It will be easier for people because some WiFi traders ask for natures that raise a certain stat.(Attack for example.)

With a recent talk, this is what I found:

When searching stuff around in the 'Charms Dex, when you're searching for Pokemon that give off S.Def EVs or S.Atk EVs, it brings up an error:
Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /mnt/w0502/d24/s13/b02c8308/www/pokecharms.com/webdex/advstats.php on line 296

This applies to both S.Def and S.Atk.

Also, on that page, yielding is spelled incorrectly.

Search for Pokemon yeilding EVs in Stat:

Hmm, once enough People have Mystery Dungeon Time and Darkness Add an option for the Friend code under your Profile. Maybe a Board for it too, Perhaps, so it doesen't Clutter? I understand if you don't want to do this.

Alex, adding some of the better known Canadian/World Holidays to the calendar might be nice. (Most notably Canada Day). I noticed that Canada Day isn't on the Calendar. And we have some members from Canada, so it might prove useful.