• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed Sensō: War of Conquest [Discussion Thread]

What should the name of the region be?

• Total voters
You can by-pass the need for packets with more advanced knowledge of Organic Chemistry. If you can produce Nitroglycerine, you can use it as a gel-covering for the bullets. Because Nitroglycerine will explode with a large enough shock, you only really need a sufficiently strong 'hammer' to set off the explosion-propelled bullet.
Did this exist in the same time period as Flintlocks?

Nitroglycerin? Ehh, the world of Pokemon had technology that advanced a lot faster than our world. It depends on how much research went into nitroglycerin through almost random curiosity of "what happens if I put this in this?" Or whatever. XD it is likely nitroglycerin can be made, but I have to see what kind of chemicals are needed for nitroglycerin to be a thing and how easily you can find it.

I believe sulfur is flammable but once it ignites, it stinks like a skunk. XD I think it's more of a slow burn than an explosion of energy.

... sounds like I gotta do more research on my end. XD

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
Well Astra needs a Warlord first.
I might have a solution, but it would require @Mango137 and @PrincessPika~chan to approve.

I could potentially change Gaius's bio in order to fit the oleda kingdom so that way Astra could go back to being a retainer for Hanwon in Kumo. Astr and an aegislash would really only fit in either Kumo or Moryurei and I already have two retainers. I think this would be a very simple solution and I wouldn't mind changing. If Mango and pika agrees than I will make the change.

Did this exist in the same time period as Flintlocks?
Sorta, but not really.

Flintlocks didn't come around till the 17 hundreds, while Nitroglycerine was invented mid 18 hundreds.

For reference, the time period of the RP, which is around the Warring States period, started in the 15 hundreds and ended in the early 17 hundreds. So Flintlocks wouldn't exist in this time period either.

"Sulfur dust suspended in air ignites easily, and can cause an explosion in confined areas. May be ignited by friction, static electricity, heat, sparks, or flames. Toxic gases will form upon combustion. Bulk/solid forms burn only at moderate rate, whereas dust burns with explosive violence."

.... so that's a no if you don't want to get some kind of lung infection and die. XD

"Nitroglycerin is an oily, colourless liquid, but also a high explosive that is so unstable that the slightest jolt, impact or friction can cause it to spontaneously detonate. ... It is the speed of the decomposition reaction which makes nitroglycerin such a violent explosive."

"History: The Italian chemist Ascanio Sobrero first made nitroglycerin in 1847, by adding glycerol to a mixture of concentrated nitric and sulfuric acids."

So.... nitroglycerin as a liquid is also extremely volatile. If it is that volatile and unstable, simply rubbing it on the rounds or sliding the round down the barrel and even the slight impact of it hitting the end of the barrel of the gun may set it off if you're not careful. XD but also glycerol and nitric and sulfuric acids... not sure which Pokemon can make those or where you can find them naturally but yea...

As for dynamites:

"Dynamite is simply some sort of absorbent material (like sawdust) soaked in nitroglycerin. The absorbent material makes the nitroglycerin much more stable. You normally use a blasting cap to detonate dynamite -- a blasting cap creates a small explosion that triggers the larger explosion in the dynamite itself."

After looking up about all these explosives, hopefully the CIA or something in my country doesn't start getting worried about me. ^^"""

Nitroglycerin? Ehh, the world of Pokemon had technology that advanced a lot faster than our world. It depends on how much research went into nitroglycerin through almost random curiosity of "what happens if I put this in this?" Or whatever. XD it is likely nitroglycerin can be made, but I have to see what kind of chemicals are needed for nitroglycerin to be a thing and how easily you can find it.

I believe sulfur is flammable but once it ignites, it stinks like a skunk. XD I think it's more of a slow burn than an explosion of energy.

... sounds like I gotta do more research on my end. XD
I think the main hurdle is that they would've lacked the equipment to reached the sufficient temperatures and pressures to 'safely' produce either explosive. But I'm not toooo certain. Both reactions need substantial amounts and concentrations of Nitric acid, but it would definitely require more research to be certain.

I might have a solution, but it would require @Mango137 and @PrincessPika~chan to approve.

I could potentially change Gaius's bio in order to fit the oleda kingdom so that way Astra could go back to being a retainer for Hanwon in Kumo. Astr and an aegislash would really only fit in either Kumo or Moryurei and I already have two retainers. I think this would be a very simple solution and I wouldn't mind changing. If Mango and pika agrees than I will make the change.
Ah, that'd help me out a lot!

It would be in the exact center of the southern portion of the Sensō region. There would be a lake below.

@kyuukestu

Alright @kyuukestu I found the post.

annnnd done

Senso_Region.jpg

I couldn't exactly do 'wings' but I did try a bit of shading so there are 'clouds' under the Land of Flying Fortress. Hope that works just as well?

You can by-pass the need for packets with more advanced knowledge of Organic Chemistry. If you can produce Nitroglycerine, you can use it as a gel-covering for the bullets. Because Nitroglycerine will explode with a large enough shock, you only really need a sufficiently strong 'hammer' to set off the explosion-propelled bullet.

I've seen the idea explored in Release that Witch, and is one of the few mechanics I remember from reading the first...couple hundred chapters.

That being said knowing how to make TNT was a part of my Organic Chemistry Syllabus...but I hardly remember all the reactions and reagents needed to create it ~w~
Another chemical engineer???

I mean if you have too, though I really liked Gaius.

Another chemical engineer???
Ahaha, I considered it but then I switched to Software Engineering for my Major. I still have a decent background in Chemistry though xD

The thread is up~

https://pokecharms.com/threads/senso-war-of-conquest-role-play-thread.21631/

and I recall someone asking but I was busy working out the distances on the map.

So each square on the map is 30 miles by 30 miles. That means for Kingdoms like Raithean and Kumo you can count the squares between them and form a rough estimate of the distance.

So Raithean and Kumo are about 5 squares apart so around...150 miles away from each other. I did some looking around and the average distance traveled by foot during medieval times was around 20 miles a day, while it was 40 miles a day on horseback.

That means it would take roughly a week for a person to walk from Raithean to Kumo, but it would take around 3 days for them to travel that distance by horse.

You can find a rough distance between any castle by counting the squares and doing a bit of math. If you need to know the distance between any nations you can also ask me in case you don't like crunching numbers. However, the furthest distance between any two castles is between Oleda and Feire, which is around 9 days by horse, bumped up to around 15 as you'll need to cross the mountains.

Just a side note... Kumo would be on the top of the highest mountain. I’m not sure if the program didn’t allow you to put it on top or not.
Yea, it will only allow me to get a degree of overlap similar to what's currently on the map. The mountains in the range that Kumo is on are the highest peaks in the region. The only 'mountains' that are close to them in size are the ones near Raithean, but those are there because the map had no icon for a volcano.

I'll scale the mountains up a bit more if that gives off a better impression.

Edit:

how's this?

Senso_Region.jpg

I can't get it much closer to the peak without making the village smaller, else it'll 'fall off' the mountain.

Yea, it will only allow me to get a degree of overlap similar to what's currently on the map. The mountains in the range that Kumo is on are the highest peaks in the region. The only 'mountains' that are close to them in size are the ones near Raithean, but those are there because the map had no icon for a volcano.

I'll scale the mountains up a bit more if that gives off a better impression.

Edit:

how's this?

Senso_Region.jpg

I can't get it much closer to the peak without making the village smaller, else it'll 'fall off' the mountain.
No worries! I was just clarifying

There isnt much to note off except the ability rework and backstory addition (also need confirmation if the backstory is good with Senso lore)

Name: Cariss "Fya" Amierdal
Preferred Element: Fire/Flying
Description:
Cariss grew up in a small group of islands east of Senso, she grew up a Nomad under the care of an old man who'd eventually die and leave her alone as a wanderer, hitching rides on caravans, doing tasks for merchants and the sort just to get by with food and basic necessities, Gelis also has good reason to follow her around, being just a Fletchling back then, Cariss, even though just barely alive, took him in as a partner, they were better together, that was a given, until Cariss couldnt provide for both of them with just petty tasks, they both grew and so did their needs... They needed more... So they took more... Cariss learned to pilfer at the young age of 9, break into houses at 11 and kill for money at 15, her attraction to fire first started in a break-in, late in the night, she knocked down a candle due to her clumsiness and started a fire, she stared at it for quite a while as it grew bigger until Gelis urged her out the house to which she burned down the whole village and the surrounding fields to ash, and the entire time it had happened she stood there in awe in the middle of the flames in the constant cold nights she slept on the grass, the warmth they gave was like a spark to a dead circuit... and Cariss was now alive. She got to Senso by being driven out due to her crimes and by stealing a fisherman's boat and for a week she sailed before stumbling upon the shore of Senso, that was a couple of years ago, but rest assured she hasnt forgotten.
A wandering warrior from another land with a strange attunement to fire, a.k.a Pyromaniac, her constant aimless roaming has rendered her basically immune to nature's weather and a strong sense of direction as well nearly memorizing majority of the land layout the few years she had landed in Senso, along with the ability swiftly travel different types of terrain, while also negating any effects that reduce accuracy and movement.
Appearance: Cariss' hair is chestnut and long, reaching down to the bottom part of her back, the centrepiece of her outfit is a brown cloak, with scorch marks everywhere, her body also sports the same marks, with circular scorch marks around her arms and legs, the majority of the left side of her face is smeared with ash. What she wears under the cloak varies, from a white loose top and a pair of brown shorts to wearing nothing at all, she mainly wears a grey leather garb fading out into black as it goes up, the lack of cloth on her bottom half is covered up by grey loose shorts with multiple pouches while being bare footed, the only constants in her outfit is her fingerless right glove and her brown cloak as well as a worn sheath for her curved dagger on her hip.
Weapon: A worn, yet surprisingly sharp and durable dagger with a curved bump going inwards into the blade for catching bigger swords and snapping them.
Special Ability:
Her infamy across Senso as a dangerous pyromaniac has been heard all across the region, her enemies (and allies if you by dear god you somehow get her on your side) will have decreased movement for 3 turns
Partner Pokemon: Gelis, a Fletchinder that carries around a brown pouch full of bottles of crude oil and cloth, trained by whistling signals to do what Cariss requests
Warlord: No one will control her ever again

~Rinko~

Previously PrincessPika~chan

Sure, that's fine by me~
I don't think you need to change much, if anything, grass fits well in there. even if it isn't the same as either of Lucienne's types.

~Rinko~

Previously PrincessPika~chan
So what about flying? I know there no way to calculate that in real life medieval time since that didn’t exist yet but in a pokemon world travelling via flying Pokémon should be quite common.
I think that would probably be a bit faster than horse, excluding terrain problems.
Unless maybe it's a Pokemon with a set flight speed by the Pokedex, like Pidgeot which according to Yellow, Silver, Firered, Soulsilver, Y and the Let's go games can fly at mach 2; obviously it'd be slower if carrying someone and possibly they don't know/can't go that fast at this point in time though.

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
There isnt much to note off except the ability rework and backstory addition (also need confirmation if the backstory is good with Senso lore)

Name: Cariss "Fya" Amierdal
Preferred Element: Fire/Flying
Description:
Cariss grew up in a small group of islands east of Senso, she grew up a Nomad under the care of an old man who'd eventually die and leave her alone as a wanderer, hitching rides on caravans, doing tasks for merchants and the sort just to get by with food and basic necessities, Gelis also has good reason to follow her around, being just a Fletchling back then, Cariss, even though just barely alive, took him in as a partner, they were better together, that was a given, until Cariss couldnt provide for both of them with just petty tasks, they both grew and so did their needs... They needed more... So they took more... Cariss learned to pilfer at the young age of 9, break into houses at 11 and kill for money at 15, her attraction to fire first started in a break-in, late in the night, she knocked down a candle due to her clumsiness and started a fire, she stared at it for quite a while as it grew bigger until Gelis urged her out the house to which she burned down the whole village and the surrounding fields to ash, and the entire time it had happened she stood there in awe in the middle of the flames in the constant cold nights she slept on the grass, the warmth they gave was like a spark to a dead circuit... and Cariss was now alive. She got to Senso by being driven out due to her crimes and by stealing a fisherman's boat and for a week she sailed before stumbling upon the shore of Senso, that was a couple of years ago, but rest assured she hasnt forgotten.
A wandering warrior from another land with a strange attunement to fire, a.k.a Pyromaniac, her constant aimless roaming has rendered her basically immune to nature's weather and a strong sense of direction as well nearly memorizing majority of the land layout the few years she had landed in Senso, along with the ability swiftly travel different types of terrain, while also negating any effects that reduce accuracy and movement.
Appearance: Cariss' hair is chestnut and long, reaching down to the bottom part of her back, the centrepiece of her outfit is a brown cloak, with scorch marks everywhere, her body also sports the same marks, with circular scorch marks around her arms and legs, the majority of the left side of her face is smeared with ash. What she wears under the cloak varies, from a white loose top and a pair of brown shorts to wearing nothing at all, she mainly wears a grey leather garb fading out into black as it goes up, the lack of cloth on her bottom half is covered up by grey loose shorts with multiple pouches while being bare footed, the only constants in her outfit is her fingerless right glove and her brown cloak as well as a worn sheath for her curved dagger on her hip.
Weapon: A worn, yet surprisingly sharp and durable dagger with a curved bump going inwards into the blade for catching bigger swords and snapping them.
Special Ability:
Her infamy across Senso as a dangerous pyromaniac has been heard all across the region, her enemies (and allies if you by dear god you somehow get her on your side) will have decreased movement for 3 turns
Partner Pokemon: Gelis, a Fletchinder that carries around a brown pouch full of bottles of crude oil and cloth, trained by whistling signals to do what Cariss requests
Warlord: No one will control her ever again
*has perpetual fire surrounding their kingdom*
There's no way that she would join anyone??

What was this about anyway?

Idk the sound of just one huge island sounds generic

*has perpetual fire surrounding their kingdom*
There's no way that she would join anyone??

She's a criminal, her mindset is that she's unwelcome everywhere, no one wants a criminal by their side, and she's stuck to this for so long she'd rather be alone