• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Official Shiny Pokemon Thread

The shinies I want to have are Giratina (Platinum), Cyndaquil (HeartGold) and Oddish.
Why? Well I really would like to have a shiny Legendary and I thought Giratina would be a good choice, I wanted a shiny starter and liked the golden Cyndaquil.
Well the Oddish I'm skeptical on it I might go after a shiny Tangela instead.

My first Shiny (barring Gyarados) was Wingull on Sapphire. This was my first playthrough ever in Sapphire but fortunately I already knew what Shiny Pokemon were. I encountered the little bugger while surfing down from Sootopolis en route to Pacifidlog. I was really happy and flaunted the thing to my friends, however, I wasn't a big fan of the Wingull line so I just jept it in storage. It was eventually lost to the eventual game reset.

I didn't really fret over it, it couldn't be helped. But fortunately, as I was walking around the grass near Mauville, who should appear but a pretty orange Zigzagoon! I caught the lovable critter and used it prominently as an HM Slave.

Then I moved over to Emerald, and this would have to be my luckiest game ever. Surfing around Dewford one day, I chanced upon a Shiny Tentacruel. Needless to say, I caught it and moved it into my PC. It had a decent nature, but I already had a water type I could depend on at the time. Feeling accomplished, I headed to the next gym, which was Fortree. I took the long way and went form Slateport to Mauville. It was a good thing I did because then I encountered a golden Poochyena! To this day those two sit in my emerald game, all pretty and sparkly.

Also weirdly enough, all 4 shinies were caught by using the same character (same gender, same name, diffrent trainer no.)

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Hehe, Shinies.

My first ever shiny was a Suicune in a badly translated Japanese ROM of Silver back when Silver was brand new. And that lucky break pretty much influenced all my luck on shinies, seeing that I have found exactly one wild shiny since - and that was a whismur of all things in a third gen ROM. >>;

(This isn't counting the glitch on the same Japanese ROM that somehow ended me up with a purple Vaporeon with the Red Gyarados' moveset. It is said that come the apocalypse, the Purple Dragon-Raging Vaporeon shall rise again to do battle with the Shiny, Volt-Tackling Fearow. And it shall be the most beautiful, sparkly battle in the history of the known universe.)

Currently I have a grand total of two shinies on my Diamond cart (which hosts all my Pokeymans except my current emerald team) - both obtained from Middy (the ever-loving queen of shinies, good grief, the woman has some crazy chaining patience!). One is a Ralts which I keep for novelty's sake, and the other... is Dian Mu.

Dian Mu is an Electabuzz. I don't recall what item I traded Middy for her but when she told me she had a few shiny Elekids lying around I pretty much jumped on it (I have a weird thing for 'Buzzes, what can I say). Had her named that and shooped over. As it turned out, Dian Mu was special in more than one way - her attack IV is 31, which compensates for her Timid Nature allowing her to be not only a speed demon but also a pretty decent mixed sweeper. Not that I even do competitive battling, but hey. Awesomebuzz is Awesome. ^^

I was playing my HeartGold a few days ago, and I found a Shiny Tentacool! What a waste of a Shiny...

I didn't catch it though, since it was rather weak and my Meganium is a little trigger-happy :3

Other than Gara, ummm. Shiny Onix in HG Victory Road. Then I had Meganium yell- I'MMA CHARGIN MAH SOLR BEAM! Onix- Rock Polish. Mega- BWWWWAAAA! Critical Hit! It's super effective! ONYX Fainted! Noooo... I did some Pokémath and found out: Not Crit hit= Onyx still alive at Red HP.

My first shiny I found was a zubat in leafgreen. I was like "why is there a goldy coloured zubat in rock tunnel?" So I caught it, and named it "Goldy".
Its now a pink Crobat.
Fast-forward to 2007 where I was in the SAFARI ZONE of all places, when I ran into a red, sexy Skorupi. Luck must've been on my side that day because I threw so much bait at that I'm surprised it didn't die, never mind run. Eventually, I caught it, and didn't get another shiny until the gyrados in heartgold.
Hacked a bunch of ones in emerald and got other shinies during that time. Currently trying the masuda method or whatever its called to hatch myself a shiny feebas. not so easy....

The very first shiny Pokemon I ever found (that I noticed) was a shiny Magikarp while Feebas hunting in Emerald (I've been a fan of Pokemon since Red/Blue, so throughout the hundreds of hours I've put into Pokemon games since Gold/Silver, that was only the first one :p) . Somehow I just knew at the start of the hunt I'd just HAVE to find my first shiny of some sort, and hundreds of water-Pokemon later, I found one! (Then a couple days later that stupid Feebas...)

The next one actually wasn't too far from then, a couple months later when I found a shiny Onix on Victory Road in Platnum while training for the elite four. It was a nice surprise, as I needed something to motivate me to continue training, and it was it!

The last and most recent one was in Leafgreen about six months later. On Four Island, right after entering that ice cave, I was walking around, and got into a battle. As the screen was flashing and going black, I was thinking "Ugh, forgot to put on a repel... I'll definently put one on after this ba..." *sparklesparkle* "What the...?! A shiny Zubat?!" So yeah, I didn't put on another repel for a long time, because if I had remembered, I never would have gotten the Zubat! XD

So far, I have never failed to catch a shiny Pokemon, and all of those three I've found so far are for now at the same levels I caught them at, untouched, until I decide what I want to do with them.

In Platinum, I was looking for a Sentret in a swarm, and I thought I found a siny one, so I caught it. I was wrong by many degrees. But I made up for it with a genuine shiny Pichu from teh Trophy Garden. I was all OMG WIIN! And EPIC ULTRA BALL. And CAUGHT! Named it Shiny, but then changed it to Rixter. Other than that, I have the event Pichu, and a haxed Mew, because my friend is super intent in using Pokesav. I never use it in battle, but in contests, yes. Other than that, none.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
The first ever shiny Pokemon that I obtained was a shiny Totodile that I randomly hatched in Diamond. It was just so incredibly unexpected and random and I loved it. :3

In Platinum I've run into and captured too shiny Pokemon, a Zubat and an Ariados. I've never really used any of the shiny Pokemon I have because they are all rather lackluster in their natures and what not, but it's still fun to have them. :3

And just yesterday I was looking through my PC in Platinum and spotted a shiny Ralts that I don't even remember hatching. XP

My first shiny ever was a cleffa back in the old silver version when u get the egg from somebody (i think it was the daycare ppl) I didnt know what shinies were so later on i restarted my game. But then a lil while later me and my bro were playing pokemon together he had gold i had silver and we were in that 1 area with the natu and the smeargles both trying to see who can catch a smeargle 1st and thats when my bro was like whoa this natu is a different color and i was like what and he threw an ultra ball it escaped and fled right after, and then me and him ended up lookin for the dif colored natu instead of the smeargle but we gave up hours later... Ever since then i been fascinated with the shiny pokemon. Rarely anybody has em. And nobody has every single shiny pokemon there is (legit). But the 1st shiny pokemon i caught would hafto be a tentacool in ruby version. Now i have lots of shiny pokemon.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Anonymous

I caught a few shinies. My first was Swelllow. I was trying to capture a Jigglypuff (Which I did ;D) and then I found swellow it look Awesome then I caught it after wasting 63 Pokeballs! Next I caught Natu at the safari zone I was scared to death because I thought it would escape! Next i caught the red gyrados. Then recieved Pichu. And won the shiny Eevee and evoled it into Espeon.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
While EV training last night on Platinum I found a shiny Banette :D

It was one of those 'OMG LOOK!' moments as the blue sprite moved across the screen. Having only ever encountered one random wild shiny before, it was a very nice surprise. I'm just glad I spotted it straight away and didn't kill it in my sleepy state for a mere 2 EVs :V

Heres my shiny pokemon list and how i got them: scizor got by chaining scyther~ dratini got by soft resetting in firered at the game corner which only took less than an hour~ abra got by chaining~ shinx got by chaining~ luxray evolved one of my shinx~ squirtle got by the mesuda method (hatching)~ ponyta got by chaining~ charizard got by SR in firered for charmander~ fearow caught by my ex girlfriend on a random encounter~ machop got by chaining~ golem got by chaining a geodude then evolved it~ and last and probably least, tentacruel got by a random encounter as a tentacool in ruby

My first was a spinrak from crystal while randomly headbutting trees. I didn't even know about shiny pokemon. I just saw it wasnt green and it glistened. I ran out of pokeballs to catch it and so i went and got lower leveled pokemon and head butted that same damn tree for an hour. I ended up finding a pink butterfree which i managed to catch. Ive never come across any other shiny's in any other game. Anyone got a shiny mankey or primeape they wouldn't mind parting with?

I was playing LeafGreen once. And on Five Isle I came across a shiny Tentacool.

I caught it. not knowing what it was. But the started a new game about a week later. And lost him. Then I realized now he was a shiny. GRR. I lost my first shiny...

Well, my first shiny ever was when i traded a wortortle from Red to Crystal :D and then after that I hatched an egg and it was a shiny Magby..

I recently caught a shiny Zubat in whirl islands on my HG and obviously caught the red gyarados in all the GSC and HG games ;3

Lemme see..... I bumped into a shiny Gastly (freaking cool by the way) when I entered the hauted mansion in Diamond.
I remember having a shiny zubat but I don't know which game anymore....

And well that is about it. I am not a shiny hunter.

A

Anonymous

I had a shiny marril in Platinum that i thought was sick so turned it into an HM slave so that it would feel better. It's still green

I once had a shiny zigzagoon army in Ruby. It took over a year to to get them all but it happened.

In Heart Gold I have a shiny donphan that I caught while training to fight red.

Jardy36 said:
I had a shiny marril in Platinum that i thought was sick so turned it into an HM slave so that it would feel better. It's still green

I find this adorable for some reason :p

I already told all my shiny stories, but I also helped (by help I mean I did everything except encounter) my brother catch a shiny Poliwag. I told him he should name it Carnival and evolve it into a Politoed (because shiny Politoeds remind me of cotton candy, which remind me of carnivals) Unfortunately, he's changing his mind on me and wants to make it into a Poliwrath, who has a stupid shiny color >:T
I'm mad since he wouldn't have even caught it if it weren't for me, and I loooooove Politoeds ♥

Some other shinies I want are Vibrava, Shiftry and Slowpoke. Although if I got a shiny Slowpoke I wouldn't know whether to evolve it into shiny Slowbro, who has cooler shiny colors, or shiny Slowking, who has a cooler design over all. Hmmm.

Also, I can't wait to see the shiny colors for all the Gen V Pokemon~
Except Koromori because his shade of blue is so lovely

Hence I haven't played Pokémon in a long time, the first shiny I caught was a pink Noctowl on my Crystal game. I thought it was awsome but decided too restart anyway. And not long after I caught a pink Sentret which evolved into a pink Furret. Then I didn't play Pokémon for a while (about 3 years) and when I tried it after the break, nothing I had saved was left and when I started a new journey, I couldn't save :/ Too bad 'cause Crystal is my all time favourite sinci I managed to capture Suicon with a Pokéball (forgot to get Masterball, before i battled it)

In Leafgreen, I once encountered a shiny Ponyta, with blue flames instead of red. I was really happy but didn't evolve it because i thought the 'shinyness' would go away. I traded it with my friend and after a while he restarted...

Since then I haven't got a single shiny Pokémon :/

0_0.Sinnysaurus.rex said:
I caught a new shiny pokemon recently! A shiny cubone i always wanted one so bad. Now im trying to chain for a shiny growlithe but its not going too well =[

I keep trying to chain anything I can. I only get to about 12 and mess up. Whats the point behind restarting your poke radar?

Yesterday, I was shiney hunting in my Pearl version, but got bored. I took a break from it and played my HG version. While I was trying to evolve my female Combee, I came across a shiney Nidoran boy and caught it in Route 35. Right now its a shiney Nidorino. I even thought it was the girl counterpart. xD

All right, time to talk about my crapload of shinies XD

the first shiny I encoutered was on crystal, it was a shiny nidorina. I cloned it and evolved the clone~

then in the r/s/e and fr/lg games I had zero luck except for the shiny espeon at the battle tower. That REALLY pissed me off.

I didn't find a shiny until my diamond. I was tryin to chain for the first time. The first pokemon I found was a bidoof but i broke the chain on the second one by finding a shiny starly :)

I've also successfully chained two shiny pachirisus on diamond.

Recently, on soulsilver, I encountered a shiny FEMALE wobbuffet. It seriously scared me 0.0" girl wobbuffets creeps me out >.>

other than that I have a bunch of shines from GTS hunting and people trading them to me. my favorites include: flygon, umbreon, charizard, rayquaza, mew, aaaand I guess I'd pick my little ditto :3

Other than the shiny gyradoes (sorry for the misspelling), I've never seen a shiny pokemon. One time my brother found a purple Nidoran girl in the Safari zone and I had just learned about shiny pokemon so I yelled at him "DON'T RUN!!!". We just stared at it for a while, not sure if we should throw mud or feed it. Finally he caught it and traded it to me. I also got a shiny Pichu and a Ursaring which I cherish. Oh, and could someone please tell me what chaining is? Do you mean pokeradar? Sorry for the noobie question.

I have a few shinnies in platinum, and I just caught an Electrike in emerald shinny. (I had decided to start a new game on a rom (I missed placed my real emerald hehe) I am in the area just north of slate port. I am very ecstatic right now its like I have been injected with pure adrenaline. This is my second shinny caught ever in an GIII game and my 3rd overall (I Have a shinny Bulbasaur in Leafgreen), and I caught a shinny Torkal before.

I have a few shiny pokemon. The first one I ever caught was a shiny male Nidoran in FR. I was like WTF, This Nidoran must be gender confused XD!
In SS,I have a shiny Skuntank and Gyarados (You know the Enraged Gyarados right? I also caught it in Crystal). In Emerald, I saw a shiny zubat but failed to catch it :( . In Pearl, sadly nothing.... But finally in Platinum, I have a shiny Lopunny, Umbreon (I love it so X3), and a shiny Froslass.

Well I don't normally make a big deal about the shinies people trade me (for me, finding the shiny myself is the most exciting part about them) but my brother just traded me his shiny Poliwhirl today :>

I was the one who helped him catch it a while back. He wasn't very prepared for it and only had like 4 Pokeballs with him and they were all weird ones. I took charge and hurt it without killing it, and caught it for him. And chose its nickname, Carnival :D

I'm glad I rescued her from him because he had plans to turn her into a Poliwrath. Noooo. Female shiny Poliwrath is just not fun. So now that I have her I'm going to turn her into a pretty Politoed :> Hooray for makeovers!

Politoed = one of my favorite Pokemon btw. And shiny Politoeds have awesome colors.

Im trying to get ANOTHER shiny dratini from the gamecorner in fire red. I didnt like the naive nature of the other one, and plus i forgot to give it a nickname before i migrated it to diamond.. I think your trainer i.d really does have something to do with getting shinies cause on this same file on my fire red i got a shiny charmander easily by soft resetting it didnt even take 5 hours and i got the shiny dratini in less than 30 minutes. Im starting to believe that soft resetting is easier than the masuda method. On diamond i only got one shiny that way and it was a squirtle. I tried for two weeks for a dratini but no luck, and it takes waaaay too long to hatch eggs so yeah id say SR is much easier take it from someone with experience.. But anyway does anybody have a shiny legendary? Ive never been able to get one in my whole life

The only shiny Pokemon I ever caught was a shiny Electrike in Emerald.

I was just playing my game in an airplane (near a thunderstorm. Worst. Thing. Ever.) and found an Electrike. At that time I didn't know about shiny Pokemon or Electrike (it was my first playthrough), so I caught it because it had pretty colors. I got really excited whenever I aught a Pokemon then, so I shwoed it to my brother. He was like, "Yeah, that's nice" until he actually looked at it. Then he was like, "What?! That's shiny! Where did you get it!? Can I have it?!" I just figured that it was rare or something because he usually did the first thing.

Unfortunately I might restart my game and get rid of it because I'm stuck on fricken' Wallace. :-\

lol i cant seen to find a relicanth and it even says i can find one on route twelve and thumbs up cuz its 3:00 in the morning ;) so if u can heeeeelp! me we might vould trade or sumthing like that i might post my frein code in a little while

I have currently in all my games:
Beedrill
Gyarados (lol)
Victreebell
Zubat

I really want a shiny shinx and a shiny turtwig.

I've also seen a shiny geodude in leaf green once. it used selfdestruct.

I first saw a shiny wingull and claydoll on emerald. i ko'd them without knoing there were shinys. i regret doing that and never found a shiny again :(

Random shinies:
Poochyena -> Mightyena (Petalburg Woods in Emerald)

Poké Radar shinies:
Voltorb - My first shiny with the Poké Radar - Chain 4
Shinx -> Luxio -> Luxray - Chain 40
Dunsparce - Chain 40 - I got my chain to 78 (My personal record)
Ralts x3 - Chain 40, 41, 42 - All male, but one Modest-natured :)
Floatzel - Chain ~33

I'm not sure if I missed some. :p

I would like to have a shiny Shroomish. Sometimes I try to get one by Masuda method.