• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Official Shiny Pokemon Thread

Amazingly enough, since I never played any game other than Black and White, I havent had much oppurtunity to get shinies. The only Shiny I ever saw was a Patrat in the Dreamyard. When I was there, I was just exploring, and then I got into another battle, and I'm just like "I'm sick of battles, I'm putting a repel on" and then it was shiny ;D

So I caught it with a Nest Ball (it was level 11) and then I raised it to level 64 as a Watchog. It knows Crunch, Dream Eater, Hypnosis and Giga Impact.

Playing White...I went into Victory Road to train my Rufflet so he'll evolve into Braviary, and what do you know...a shiny Durant! I attack her once throw a dusk ball and she's mine. I named her Irene :'D. I go to check her out and guess what...her nature is modest ><

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
In Gen IV I got a shiny Gastrodon and a shiny Buizel. Nothing too special really, especially Gastrodon who barely looks any different. ¬_¬

Gen V gave me a good one though: shiny Landorus. Cue temporary jaw-drop when this guy showed up - glad I saved that Master Ball.

I had one chance to catch that stupid shiny Nosepass (it waz golden). ONE CHANCE. And I blew it. One day, I was walking around in Mt. Coronet, and suddenly, a shiny Nosepass appeared. I had forgot to register my cheat codes, so this was really rare. And what an idiot I was- I didn't know it was shiny!!! It was right there, all gold and stuff, and I didn't realize it until I ran away. XD 'I am such an idiot!' I thought to myself. In real life I did a facepalm and slammed the DS into my face (I got a black eye :p). That was the end of that. But I've got tons of shinies now. Three of them were from a trade, but all the others were caught myself using cheat codes except for one shiny Eevee which was really just good luck and not cheat codes. I was 9 at the time, so I was really excited when I found the shiny Eevee. It made me think of how I failed to catch the shiny Nosepass, so I whipped out an Ultraball and surprisingly caught it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just remembered that I once had a shiny Noctowl in Gold, or perhaps I've already said that?

EDIT: If you stalk the Nuzlocke thread, you'd know that I just caught a shiny Wurmple. He is now a beautiful Dustox.

I'd seen a few shinies.

The first I'd, of course, was the red Gyarados from Silver/SoulSilver.

Also on Silver, I say a Shniy Magikarp and Onix, but at the time, my Pokemon's level were too high to wear down the Magikarp (I didn't know it was possible to catch one outright with a strong enough Pokeball), and the Onix, encountered early on during a game, just broke free of every capture attempt I'd made.

On SoulSilver, I found a shiny Ursaring, and caught that, later trading it away with a kid from the daycare where I work for... something. I don't remember what. I'm not really into shinies, so I didn't look at it as a major loss.

Recently, I caught a shiny Ralts on Platinum, but when I deleted the data to start a new game, the Ralts went with it. Whoops.

I remember my first shiny was a Machop on pearl. I currently have her (yes, HER XD) as a Machamp.
On one of my playthroughs of Ruby, I got a shiny Tropius. Leaf Green (oh how I love that game) gave me a shiny Bellsprout, and I found a shiny Onix in Platinum. All were female except for the Bellsprout. :3
I really want a shiny Psyduck for some reason....

The last/latest shiny i got was on the Global Wifi (Seriously not seen a single shiny in black or white) and it was a DW Poliwag with 31IV in every stat 8)

My most recent shiny is a Blitzle. I restarted my copy of Black a couple of days ago, and on Route 3 - maybe an hour after restarting - I come across one in the grass. I caught it, and it's definitely going to be a member of my team. It's slightly annoying, though - on the save file previously, I had been shiny hunting and not seen a single one.

The first shiny pokemon I ever got was from pokemon crystal it was a smoochum that hatched from the egg you got from the daycare couple but my game got corrupted and I lost it. I also ran into a wild tentacool surfing to the undersea place in sapphire and I ran out of pokeballs it was a tragic loss for me I haven't ran into a shiny since then.

I have caught 3 shiny Pokémon in Pearl.
Graveler
Geodude
Graveler

I hate that Pokémon.

But one that I did like, a friend of mine was playing their game for the first time and the very first Pokémon they saw was shiny, it was a Poochyena. The problem was that this was the first battle to save the professor and you had not been given any Pokéballs yet. /facepalm. I am pretty sure I have the right game.

I got lucky with my shinys. The first one Poochyena was my first shiny and it was the first wild pokemon I saw after you get your pokeballs from Professor Birch.
The second was when I was training my level 2 pidgey up on route 22 so it could help me in viridian forest and a shiny mankey appeared

The only shiny pokemon I've ever seen was in platinum. I was on Iron Island and I failed to capture a shiny graveler. . . .it still haunts me to this day. . .

The only shiny Pokemon I have caught was a Kricketune, on my Pokemon Pearl version. T^T I guess finding a shiny Pokemon is pretty lucky in the first place, but still I would have preferred a shiny Water type Pokemon. XD

My first shiny was a shiny Weedle I caught in the Bug Catching Contest on Silver. However, I was only about 7 and I didnt understand that it was rare, so I released it...

My best friend Daniel, he caught a shiny Raticate on FireRed. But since then, I havnt seen a single shiny. I've used an Action Replay for one, but I've never caught one in the wild since Gen 2!

hmm the first shiny pokemon that i ever caught was a shiny tentacool on FireRed. i was so happy~ then my sister LOST my game. (i had a ton of cool pokemon in it)
The second time i encountered a shiny was in diamond. it was a shiny graveler, i had worn its HP down and was going to catch it but it used eruption... so i lost that one. the only other shiny i have is a shiny wingull and i didnt even catch that one i got it from a friend's emerald. i havent seen a shiny pokemon on any of my games since...

1 time on soul silver i was training in the ilex forest and i seen a shiny weedle i only had 1 pokeball and i did catch it but i started my game over and i dont hav it now but it was in the day care and was lv 43 O0

I have multiple shiny pokemon but most are from events. The one and only shiny Poke that I caught in game (besides shiny Gyaradose)is a shiny Golbat which is now a shiny Crobat. I found it while surfing in the first cave you come across in platinum version.

The first shiny I ever caught was a shiny Geodude in Pokemon Ruby, and I named it Gold since that was what it looked like. I hadn't realized it was a shiny when I'd caught it, so when I looked at my pokedex out of boredom I was all "Wait.... Geodudes are supposed to be gray-brown, not gold!" I was happy :3

My second shiny was my precious shiny Vulpix in SoulSilver, and when I found it I was like "OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD" xD It's now evolved, lvl 100, and named Stormy :D

Not counting Gyrados, I've caught 2 shinies in my life.

First one was a Plusle. Bad thing was... it was my BROTHER'S Sapphire. I raged but I caught it.

Second one was back in December. I had rewritten my brother's White version because he wasn't playing it and I was at the Ice gym, training my mons up. I run into the grass and out pops a Shiny blinking Vanillish.
I actually squealed.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Considering that my luck with shiny Pokemon is usually horrible, I'm doing pretty well at the moment. From EV training my team for VGC this year, I've obviously been fighting a lot of the same Pokemon and I've encountered two shinies as a result XD

I got a shiny Litwick and a shiny Lillipup. In fact, I don't think I've ever got two shinies in one game, let alone two.

Bless those Quick Balls :angel:

Unfortnatly in all the years I have played Pokemon, I have never came across my own shiny. But my brother gave me my first shiny not so long ago. It was a shiny Teddiursa.

To be honest, most shinies I've seen have been through cheats in Diamond. Rapidash, Budew, Roselia & Arceus I believe they were. And no, I never caught the Red Gyarados in my sister's HeartGold, I accidentally KO'd it, also I don't believe my sister wants ANOTHER Gyarados in her box.

Though! I do have a shiny that wasn't through cheating. Remember that egg you can get from the Day Care in Crystal? Well, in my Crystal Nuzlocke, I got a Shiny Smoochum from it and I plan to make her my main.

As for shinies I want... Medicham, just because it's my favorite. I wouldn't mind having a heck lots of them to be honest.

OK I had 2 shiny pokemon and for some reason i just called them shiny but i accedently deleted shiny rattata and pidgeot my fav shiny but now i have a shiny tentacrul and a shiny arobak

I am trying to beat soulsilver again to get a shiny Totodile, zubat, mareep, poliwag, diglett and dratini. that will be my team. but i will evolve em then transfer.

I will always remember my first shiny. I was playing Emerald going through the Mirage Tower trying to get one of the fossils, when I'm attacked by a shiny Trapinch. Luckily I had some week Pokemon with me so I was able to catch it. It is now a Flygon and still my only non-event shiny.

I dont usually have the patience to look for shiny pokemon :/ i have had a shiny caterpie in leaf green, A shiny wurmple in emerald and a shiny sewaddle in white... The akward thing is, they are all catterpillars :/

A couple days ago I finished my Mareep/Flaaffy hunt with a shiny Flaaffy after 4015 Encounters! It was my first ever hunted shiny. And now a list of my other random shinies -
Wurmple in Emerald
Wurmple in Pearl *eye twitch*
Steelix in Platinum
Nincada in Heart Gold (Bug catching contest - I didn't even win -____-)

OMG i have never gotten a shiny pokemon exept in trades i plan to breed a japenese ditto with my emboar (nicknamed Flame) and it should easily be a shiny ~:D~ ~:D~ ~:D~ ~:D~ ~:D~ ~:D~ ~:D~ ~:D~

Over the years of playing Pokemon, the only shinies I've caught from the wild have been a Solrock, Oddish, and a Magikarp. I've been enjoying a shiny Bellossom, and that makes two red Gyarados to my collection after evolving that hilarious golden Magikarp, but I've always been intrigued by the notion of breeding shinies.

Also, I've been mulling over the Masuda Method...the only games that haven't been destroyed by negligent siblings are my HGSS games, thus making it close to impossible in my quest to obtain a foreign Pokemon without access to the GTS. I've always wanted to experiment with certain breeding methods, especially the Masuda method, but it seems my breeding blog will not have the entry I wanted due to circumstance. I'm still looking for trainers with unwanted Japanese Pokemon on their hands, but if you can imagine, it isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world.

On a more positive note, has anyone tried out the RNG methods? I'm thinking about attempting it later today after lunch or somesuch, and document my efforts or hopeful success. I've heard it can be a more controlled method for breeding shinies, but it looks very difficult to execute. Also, it seems to be a slightly more detailed procedure in HGSS, and is pretty difficult to follow. Hence why I'm asking if anyone has tried it out and has prepared a slightly more dunce-friendly direction manual. ^^;;

I've only ever caught one shiny. It was a budew, which I evolved into a roserade. I didn't realise it was so special at the time though, so I don't have it anymore...

However, I have just started a shiny hunt on route 218 in platinum for a shiny chatot, mr mime, gastrodon or floatzel. I don't mind which I get, just gonna take the first I see. I'm using the random encounter method, as I'm rubbish at chaining. I've hit 1766 encounters so far, hopefully I won't have to go through many more...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I haven't encountered any random shinies in game recently, but I did receive the shiny Larvitar that was given away at Canada's VGC event. I'm very tempted to trade the thing over to my White 2 game (once it's finally released here) and use it in my first team. :)