• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Pokémon and Gym Leaders Revealed in Latest Sword/Shield Trailer

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
AL_5.jpg
A brand new trailer for Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield has been released and includes information on several new Pokémon, two new Gym Leaders and a new feature known as Gigantamax. You can check out the trailer for yourself below and then read on for more information:

First up here's a look at the new Pokémon revealed today.

Pokémon
Alcremie_Charmilly_Pokusan_x800.png
Alcremie
Category: Cream Pokémon
Type: Fairy
Height: 1′
Weight: 1.1 lbs.
Ability: Sweet Veil

Alcremie can produce whipped cream, which becomes richer the happier Alcremie is feeling. Desserts made using this cream are invariably delicious, so many pastry chefs strive to have an Alcremie as their partner. When attacked by an opponent, Alcremie will throw sweet-scented cream to distract them or temporarily blind them, giving itself time to escape.

Yamper_artwork_x800.png
Yamper
Category: Puppy Pokémon
Type: Electric
Weight: 29.8 lbs.
Ability: Ball Fetch

Yamper tends to be drawn to things that are moving quickly. It can chase after people, Pokémon, or even vehicles. It has an organ in its body that generates electricity, and it’s activated when Yamper runs around. Yamper can’t store the electricity it generates, so it’s often seen running around with electric sparks crackling around it. Yamper’s Ability, Ball Fetch, is a new Ability that comes into play when the Trainer throws a Poké Ball at a wild Pokémon but fails to catch it. If Yamper isn’t holding an item, it will fetch the first Poké Ball that failed to catch the Pokémon, regardless of what type of Poké Ball it is.

Rolycoly_artwork_x800.png
Rolycoly
Category: Coal Pokémon
Type: Rock
Weight: 26.5 lbs.
Ability: Steam Engine / Heatproof

Rolycoly’s red eye can illuminate dark areas, while it uses the lump of coal attached to its body like a wheel to move through coal mines and caves. It is able to travel smoothly even over rough terrain. Until about one hundred years ago, every household in the Galar region had a Rolycoly. The families would use the coal that dropped off its body for cooking and heating their homes. Rolycoly’s Ability, Steam Engine, is a new Ability that provides a Speed stat boost if it’s hit with a Fire- or Water-type move during battle.

Duraludon_Duralugon_x800.png
Duraludon
Category: Alloy Pokémon
Type: Steel/Dragon
Height: 5′11″
Weight: 88.2 lbs.
Ability: Light Metal / Heavy Metal

Duraludon live in caves and mountainous areas. Their two arms have slightly different shapes, and they use them to grind down rock surfaces for food. Its body is composed of incredibly durable metal but is also surprisingly light, so Duraludon can move quite quickly despite its appearance. Its body is susceptible to corrosion, however, and is known to rust easily. They share their habitat with Tyranitar, so these two Pokémon are often seen battling each other in the mountains of the Galar region.

Gigantamax

The trailer revealed that there is a further stage of Dynamaxing, known as Gigantamax. Only select Pokémon have the ability to Gigantamax and even among those, only those won from hard fought Max Raid Battles will be able to. When Gigantamax these Pokémon will change appearance and have access to a special G-Max Move. Three Pokémon have been revealed to Gigantamax so far, these are:

GigantamaxDrednaw_TorgamordGigamax_GigadynamaxKamalm_DrednawGigamax_x800.png
Gigantamax Drednaw
Type: Water/Rock
Height: 78′9″+
Weight: Unknown
Ability: Strong Jaw / Shell Armor

The power of Gigantamaxing has allowed Drednaw to stand on its hind legs and become bipedal. From its standing position, it can come crashing down on opposing Pokémon and crush them with its massive body. Drednaw normally keeps its neck retracted within its shell, but when it attacks, it can rapidly shoot its neck out. Its jaws are also incredibly strong and can easily bite through huge metal towers. The strength of its jaws combined with the force of its neck gives Drednaw the power to punch a hole through a rocky mountain in a single strike. Water-type moves used by Gigantamax Drednaw will change to G-Max Stonesurge. G-Max Stonesurge doesn’t just deal damage to an opponent—it will scatter sharp rocks around the opponent and cause Pokémon entering the battlefield to take damage.

GigantamaxCorviknight_CorvaillusGigamax_GigadynamaxKrarmor_CorviknightGigamax_x800.png
Gigantamax Corviknight
Type: Flying/Steel
Height: 45′11″+
Ability: Pressure/Unnerve

Corviknight uses its massive wings to catch updrafts created by Gigantamax energy to hover in the air while it battles. The armor on its body has been reinforced, so attacks from Pokémon on the ground barely have any effect. Gigantamax energy has caused the armor covering Corviknight’s wings to separate and become blade birds, capable of flying independently. Flying-type moves used by Gigantamax Corviknight will change to G-Max Wind Rage, which removes any effects of moves like Reflect, Light Screen, Spikes, and Electric Terrain that the opponents may have.

GigantamaxAlcremie_CharmillyGigamax_GigadynamaxPokusan_AlcremieGigamax_x800.png
Gigantamax Alcremie
Type: Fairy
Height: 98′5″+
Ability: Sweet Veil

The cream pouring out of its body hardens when subjected to impacts—the stronger the impact, the harder it becomes—giving Alcremie an impressive resistance to physical attacks. Additionally, the giant “Berry” decorations on Alcremie’s body are as hard as diamonds, and it’s said that most attacks won’t even be able to leave a scratch. Alcremie will launch high-calorie cream missiles around itself to attack its opponents. Any Pokémon that touches this cream will be filled with energy and euphoria but at the same time will fall into a state of complete confusion. Fairy-type moves used by Gigantamax Alcremie will change to G-Max Finale, which will heal all Pokémon on Alcremie’s side while dealing damage to an opponent.

New Characters
Allister_Alistair_Nio_Onion_x800.png Bea_Faiza_Saida_Judith_Fabia_x800.png

Alongside the new Pokémon we were also introduced to two new Gym Leaders, Bea and Allister. Bea is a Fighting-type Gym Leader while Allister is a Ghost-type Gym Leader, but each Leader is exclusive to a different game so if you only play one version you won't face both Gym Leaders. Bea is exclusive to Pokémon Sword, while players of Pokémon Shield will face Allister.

Leon_Tarak_Delion_Lionel_Dandel_x800.png

ChairmanRose_LepresidentShehroz_LigaPrasident_Rose_ElPresidente_Rose_IlpresidenteRose_x800.pngOleana_Liv_Olivia_Olive_x800.png

The trailer also introduces us to Leon, the current Champion of the Galar region as well as Chairman Rose who is in-charge of the Galar Pokémon League and his secretary, Oleana.

Pre-order Bonus

AL_11.jpg AL_12.jpg

Finally, it has been revealed that dans who pick up the Dual Pack SteelBook Edition of Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield will receive codes for the games to obtain special items known as Dynamax Crystals. By using these crystals in the Wild Area Pokémon fans will be able to face Dynamax versions of Larvitar and Jangmo-o. Normally Larvitar will be exclusive to Pokémon Shield, and Jangmo-o is exclusive to Pokémon Sword but by using these crystals you'll be able to get them in either version.

That's all for now, but if more news happens we'll be sure to cover it so make sure to check back!

Well, I'm still super excited for this game. Why are people so angry over the national dex thing anyways? People keep on using the quote: "A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is eventually bad." and while that is a good quote to use with things like Sonic 06, it is not a good quote for every game as there have been many delayed games that are still terrible.

Sorry for that mini rant. Yamper is going to become my new favourite Pokemon if Wooloo does not get an evolution and Yamper does.

aurivee_

Previously EeviumZ
Well, I'm still super excited for this game. Why are people so angry over the national dex thing anyways? People keep on using the quote: "A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is eventually bad." and while that is a good quote to use with things like Sonic 06, it is not a good quote for every game as there have been many delayed games that are still terrible.

Sorry for that mini rant. Yamper is going to become my new favourite Pokemon if Wooloo does not get an evolution and Yamper does.

EXACTLY! I'm a relatively casual player, and I haven't been around for long (my first game was Ultra Moon). It really peeves me that so many people are upset over the National Dex. I mean, sure, they have the right to their own opinions, but do they really need to force them on others? They've gone so far as to threaten the devs - over a game. Same with the people against the national dex - they don't need to act like children either. I think both sides of the argument have merits, but I prefer to stay neutral. And I'm definitely buying a copy of one of these games.

Also, I haven't seen a Gen 8 design (Pokemon or human) that I don't like. They all look amazing. I was skeptical of Yamper at first but it's grown on me. Eevee will almost guaranteed stay my favourite Pokemon, but Yamper will be up there.

The National Dex controversy really hurt my hype for Sword & Shield, But this definitely helped build it back up (though now I keep pausing the trailer to check & see if the graphics are as bad as people have been making them out to be ._. )

Gigantamaxing looks like a great mix between megas & z-moves & I love how they’re having version exclusive gym leaders again. I’m definitely leaning towards getting Shield now because of Allister & Goomy!!

I also love how gyms are being handled in the Galar region since it takes the traditional formula but makes it feel unique like the trials through the lore & sports gimmick.

I'm only getting Shield because I like it's legendary more than the other; although Sword does have two Pokemon I prefer over the other exclusive ones. Looks like I'm pre-ordering.

pluveon

Previously DreamyVictini
Holy shit I swear Pokemon is spying on me-
Seriously tho, Alcremie is basically a better version of one of my Fakemon...

pluveon

Previously DreamyVictini
Gigantamax Drednaw and Alcremie: Changing the design somewhat drastically and still managing to look nice.
Gigantamax Corviknight: I have pretty wings and BABIES
No offence to anyone who likes D-Corviknight, it just seems lame compared to the others in my opinion..

Last edited:

iiSilvertank

Previously SilvertanK
All of this makes up for the Removal of the National Dex. (R.I.P National Dex.)

Gigantamax Corviknight looks F R I C C I N cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I was still a bit torn on Yamper until seeing that official artwork... but now I just want one in-game, Yamper figures, a plushie, to see it in the anime and comics, more Yamper artwork, etc. etc. It's completely stolen my heart. ♥

As for the rest, I'm quite intrigued by much of the news revealed today - especially the version exclusive gym leaders. I can understand why some people loathe the concept of version exclusive characters and locations but I personally loved how it was handled with Black/White/Black 2/White 2. If we're going to be lumped with two different versions of the games in general, may as well make them unique beyond just the Pokemon.

Now I'm not so sure which version of the games I want to play first, though. I'd been leaning towards Sword originally but I'm very much on the fence again. It's definitely going to come down to the version exclusives as Swordoge alone is no longer enough to influence my decision.

aurivee_

Previously EeviumZ
Now I'm not so sure which version of the games I want to play first, though. I'd been leaning towards Sword originally but I'm very much on the fence again. It's definitely going to come down to the version exclusives as Swordoge alone is no longer enough to influence my decision.

Haha, same here. I was originally leaning towards Sword but now I’m not so sure. When the time comes, I’ll probably just do a coin flip. XD
Now the Let’s Go games on the other hand.. I think you can guess which one I picked...

I’m kind of leaning towards Shield right now because I really like Allister’s design & concept. I mean, I really like Bea too (she has so much charisma and I saw in the Japanese trailer she uses my favorite Tyrogue evolution), but I was already planning on roleplaying as the girl protagonist because of the Scottish trainer memes so Allister kind of balances it out.

It also doesn’t help that Goomy’s exclusive to Shield & I still haven’t gotten a Goodra for my main team yet.

Last edited:
Gigantamaxing is basically mega evolution, but HUGE. It really sucks how they just didn't reintroduce mega evolution, and introduced the maxing mechanic. I'm really not a fan of it, as it just seems super lazy. I really wanted to give this game a chance, but from no National Dex, the game still looks pixilated with low quality animation, and the maxing mechanic, I've decided not to buy this title in the series. Though, I hope Gamefreak surprises and makes me eat my words.

The only good thing I can say about these games so far are the waifus. Bea and Oleana look stunning.

Last edited:
Apparently they say it's also going to be a challenge to get a gigantamaxed Pokemon as well. I just hope I can at least get a gigantamaxed Corviknight.
Actually, that’s one thing about Gigantamaxing that I’m really liking over megas & z-moves. We’ve been wanting Game Freak to make the games more challenging, & while mega stones & z-move crystals had some difficulty it was still fairly easy to get most of them. Plus, you just slap the stones on pretty much any pokémon you catch, receive, or transfer & it’ll

With the the rarity of which pokémon you can Gigantamax, I feel it will make obtaining them all the more rewarding for a number of people. It also seems like it’ll force you to try max raid battles to get special Gigantamax pokémon, which in & of itself already looks pretty challenging (& it gives you a reason to use the pokémon you catch in max raids as opposed to the ones that will spawn in the wild area as a result of it).

Last edited:

~Rinko~

Previously PrincessPika~chan
^ this exactly.

Also, gonna be kinda upset if Aegislash isn’t included in the dex. I mean, not only is it in my pesonal Top 10 favorite Pokémon, but I mean... “Sword and Shield”.
Yeah, they'd be 1,000,000 times dumber than they are already (you don't need different models for everyone in every single location that they appear in Arceusdarnit!) if they didn't have Aegislash.
Also I'd hate it because I want an Aegislash in Sword.

I now desperately want that as a non-postgame thing.
I’m hoping that something like this will be the special mystery gift you receive for preordering one version of the game since all of the promos so far have been for the double packs. The new trailer definitely built my hype back up, but I’m still not convinced to spend $120 (plus taxes, and however much I’ll end up spending for the pokéball plus & pokémon home) to buy both versions yet