• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Pokémon and Gym Leaders Revealed in Latest Sword/Shield Trailer

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Calling it now (30 hours later): Chairman Rose is evil.
1. Everyone else in Galar has the craziest outfits and this man wears a nice suit. He stands out.
2. He's corporate. Everyone knows corporations are evil.
3. He sponsors Leon who many have also hypothesized as being evil. Wouldn't surprise me if Leon was an Admin/Executive or is actually a well meaning good guy who got fooled like N Harmonia.
4. He's just shady as hell.

Anyway, on the Pokemon front, I like the Mecha-Godzilla design of Duraludon. If it didn't already look the part, the trailer had it battling Godzilla Tyranitar which only drives the point home further. I've liked Yamper since last month. Rolycoly is pretty neat. Don't really care much for Alcremie, but food based Pokemon have always been pretty meh to me in general. Just ask Vanillite.

Gigantamax is pretty intriguing. I have mixed feelings about it being limited to Max Raid Battles though. On the one hand, it sucks that I can't G-max my starter or other Pokemon I catch/breed along the way. On the other, I like how they're actually integrating gameplay with story lore for once. Not like Mega Evolution where they say it only works with Pokemon you have a strong bond with only to turn around and let you Mega Evolve your freshly hatched Mawile or that Swampert you got in a trade.

I like the new Gym Leaders and I like that they're version exclusive. It's a lot easier to justify getting both games when I know there will be other differences to them then just the version exclusive Pokemon which I could have gotten from a friend.

Chunky Ramen

Previously Canadian_Fish
I'm debating whether or not to get the game. I know if i try to get one, i'm gonna walk home with both. And then i'm gonna play through half the game and then quit. That loop has happened to me too many times. (I'm looking at you two, US+UM, and you're not out of it either, Let's Go.)

pluveon

Previously DreamyVictini
Oh, and just going to drop Bea here:
The number "193" on Bea's shorts can be read in Japanese as goroawase for 戦 ikusa, meaning "fight".

And her Japanese name comes from kidney bean, Saitō, and of course Bea comes from bean.

aurivee_

Previously EeviumZ
@Retro Rewind I completely agree. As a casual player I really couldn't care less about the animations or the National Dex. All I care about is that Eevee is in the game. Which is confirmed already.

I must have Eevee. There are no substitutes for Eevee.

If there is going to be a new eeveelution, it'd be really cool if there were two new ones. Dragon and Steel type eeveelutions. That way, it'd make a cool trio with Sylveon, just like Flareon, Vaporeon, and Jolteon.

CreepyKidInDaCorner

Previously GKForest
It might not happen since all the 'special' types are used up and every possible way of evolving except trading has been used so it is unlikely for a new eeveelution. RIP possible eevee evolutions ;_;

Last edited:

CreepyKidInDaCorner

Previously GKForest
I think duraludon's name might come from the words endure, allosaurus/albertosaurus, alloy, Don 'Latin for tooth' and don 'Spanish for King'. I got some from bulbapedia but most are from myself

I can't wait for Sword and Shield! Leaning toward Sword since I like offensive over Defensive and c'mon, Bea is the Bae.

The "Dexit" controversy is something that I feel undermines the time crunch that GameFreak is in right now, so I'm glad a lot of people here understand.

pluveon

Previously DreamyVictini
The "Dexit" controversy is something that I feel undermines the time crunch that GameFreak is in right now, so I'm glad a lot of people here understand.
Sadly, this isn't about time... Look at X and Y, they modeled 700+ Pokemon from scratch, and did about 7-8 animations counting Pokemon Amie. It took them 3 years to do this.
However, GF has been working on Sword and Shield for 4 years, and all we saw was reused models and animations for Pokémon. And they even took out some Pokémon, even though they had the data they needed! I think that's why people are being angry over this...

...Personally, it doesn't really bother me, since I'll probably do two or three "Galar-only" play throughs, to get to bond with the new mons. As long as the Pokedex is big enough (and there are lots of Gen 5 mons), I'm fine with it.