• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Play Control! Wii titles - You buying?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Well, since the first of these games are hitting shelves soon (if one or two haven't already), I'm wondering what the general consensus on these titles are and how many people plan to buy into them.

For anyone out of the loop, the "New Play Control" games are a collection of reworked GCN titles that have added motion control, IR support, 16:9 display, etc. In other words, they've been upgraded to play better on the Wii and include some of the console's unique motion sensor features. The list New Play Control! games I can recall of off the top of my head are Pikmin 1&2, Mario Power Tennis, Metroid Prime 1&2, Chibi-Robo, and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.

I actually wasn't too interested in any of these until I read that Chibi-Robo and DK Jungle Beat were being included as well. Both of these games are titles I always wanted to play but never got around to purchasing, so I wouldn't mind having a go at them on the Wii. Pikmin 2 is another I never bought but would've liked to, and I figure with the wiimote capabilities it'll play even better than ever. So I guess my answer is, yeah, I will be buying a few of them if/when the price is right.

How about the rest of you?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
If they reworked Prime 1 and 2 to have 3's ridiculously retarded control scheme [size=1pt](Seriously. Creative and nifty sounding as it was, the thing was a total bitch to actually play.)[/size], there will be a horde of screaming fanboys clamoring for vengeance.

... Me, I'll just watch from the sidelines and giggle my phantom tail off.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
If they reworked Prime 1 and 2 to have 3's ridiculously retarded control scheme [size=1pt](Seriously. Creative and nifty sounding as it was, the thing was a total bitch to actually play.)[/size], there will be a horde of screaming fanboys clamoring for vengeance.

I don't really understand why they would. It's not like these are new games, so if they'd already played them on GCN and hated the new controls... they just don't need to play the New Play Control! versions. Simple as that XD

But we are talking fanboys here. People seem to like complaining :p

Either way, I'm not sure how the controls of the reworked Prime handle, so I can't say much on it. I won't be buying them either, so I guess I never will be commenting on 'em, lol.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
The only title that has interested me thus far is Pikmin. I adore the Gamecube version, and Pikmin, aside from the Pokemon games, is my sole reason for owning a Gamecube.

I saw the New Play Control: Pikmin in the store a couple of days ago, and even though I took the time to pick it up and have a look, I don't think I'll be buying it. I love the way it plays on the GC, and my old games play just fine... It's more of a 'happy memories' issue with me I think, as to why I doubt I'll buy the 'updated' games. Pokemon XD: Gale of darkness would be fun with Wii controls, I bet throwing Pokeballs would get tedious very quickly XD

I'll definitely be getting Pikmin 3 for Wii, but methinks I'll keep 1&2 on my GC ^^

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I've been a massive supporter of the series since it was first announced - it's a great idea to give some attention to the more easily missed great Cube titles. Especially ones like Pikmin, Chibi Robo and DK: Jungle Beat (all of which I'll probably pick up at some point).

I'm on the fence over the Metroid re-releases. I never really finished Metroid Prime nor Metroid Prime Hunters and don't see myself finishing any other Metroid game should I buy it... so I probably wouldn't. If they include MotionPlus support in the Wiimakes though, it ought to be a very good re-release. Maybe a bit of graphical polish wouldn't go amiss either.

It'd be nice to see Nintendo using this as a way to release games like Giftpia or Cubivore again, neither of which saw a full worldwide release (Giftpia never made it out of Japan after localisations were cancelled and Cubivore never made it to Europe), but were both extremely creative games that deserve a look-in - in much the same way as Chibi Robo.

It'd also be pretty good to see an updated release of Zelda: 4 Swords that used the much more accessible DS link-up to the Wii instead of relying on 4 GBAs (statistically, a lot less likely to pull together) and 4 pretty expensive and pretty hard-to-find cables to connect them to the Gamecube. Make it online and you've got a winner on your hands.

One hope I have of this series is that the Chibi Robo re-release sells really well. It might give them reason to bring back the canned DS instalment.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Pokemon XD: Gale of darkness would be fun with Wii controls, I bet throwing Pokeballs would get tedious very quickly XD

I was actually considering that the other day, and I think it'd be really fun. Maybe not in a Pokemon XD updated port, but a brand new Pokemon Wii game. Actually throwing the PokeBall verses just hitting the button... Wouldn't it be fun if they did this and released a special nun-chuk add-on in the shape of a PokeBall? XD

Anyways, I wholeheartedly agree with Alex on an updated release of Zelda 4 Swords, especially if it had WiFi... I'd buy that in a heart beat. The original was hugely fun, and would only be made better with DS/WiFi hook-up :D

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I am /definitely/ getting Prime 1 and 2 for the Wii. Unlike Stel, I loved the new controls - felt as smooth as any PC shooter I'd played - so porting the decent controls to the earlier games is always a good thing. Especially as they were actually better than Prime 3 in a lot of ways.

But then, I'm a rabid Metroid fanboy, so I wouldsay that.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
While a Wii pointer would be better than the Cube controller, Pokemon Channel was never, ever, intended as a serious game release and made exactly what was expected of it first time around. There's really no chance that anyone would buy it twice and minimal chance that anyone who would buy it would really have missed out on it in the Cube era outside of simply not yet being born. It's just not a viable title for a re-release.

That said, now that the Wii Speak is out - a re-release of Hey You Pikachu on the Virtual Console'd be pretty cool - but only if they went back to it and fixed it up a bit. The voice recognition - especially outside of Japan - made it nearly unplayable. And considering it too was never meant to set the videogame world alight, a re-release (especially one that'd require either already owning Animal Crossing or paying or a rather extortionate amount for a microphone) would have to have something in it worth paying out for other than the curiosity for the majority of us who never played it.

Pikmin 1 and 2 DEFINETLY. Because I rented Pikmin a while back, and I LOVED it. ;D As stupid as I am, I forgot about Pikmin, and didn't even think of buying it. So, as you all know, buying Gamecube games in-store is almost impossible. Especially rare games like Pikmin 1 and 2. And I also never got to try Pikmin 2, so i'll surely pick them up. ;D And StellarWind, what does the tiny text say? I zoomed in as much as I could, but it was to small to read, lol. :p

I may get them, and if I do,I think I might get Pikmin 2 and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, because they were 2 really good titles for the GC that I never got round to playing, mainly because I didn't have the GC bongo's at the time, and never got round to completing Pikmin 1. The controls may be a bit clumsy, but It will be easier to get them than to scavenge for the orginal GC titles.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
My opinion on these games is extremely negative. To me, it just seems like laziness on the part of Nintendo - they want to spend all their time with mediocre, gimmicky games like Wii Fit and Wii Music, and they're using these re-releases to try and cover up the fact that they can't be bothered with their old (and still successful, might I add,) game series. Some people may disagree with my viewpoint on this, but until the Wii actually comes out with brand new games for their multiple successful series such as Zelda and Metroid and not remade ones, I won't be purchasing anything for the Wii at all.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
My opinion on these games is extremely negative. To me, it just seems like laziness on the part of Nintendo - they want to spend all their time with mediocre, gimmicky games like Wii Fit and Wii Music, and they're using these re-releases to try and cover up the fact that they can't be bothered with their old (and still successful, might I add,) game series. Some people may disagree with my viewpoint on this, but until the Wii actually comes out with brand new games for their multiple successful series such as Zelda and Metroid and not remade ones, I won't be purchasing anything for the Wii at all.
You did not just say that Pikmin is terrible. D:

But, seriously, I think the reason that Nintendo haven't really given their classic range any attention recently - even though rumour has it that they're meant to - is probably because Wii Fit, Wii Music, and the other "mediocre, gimmicky" games they're released recently are making them A LOT of money. The market has changed drastically - Nintendo are excellent at attracting so-called casual gamers. They're not even trying to beat Sony or Microsoft these days, 'cause they don't need to. They get their business from a much wider audience than the average gamer. Unfortunately for us, they don't need to make Yet Another Mario game anymore.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Nintendo has already confirmed that a whole new Mario title and a whole new Zelda title are both in the works and I'd be surprised if another Metroid game didn't follow.

The real issue is time. Big releases take time, but stuff like Wii Fit or Wii Music can be put together in a much quicker timeframe.

Nintendo's real problem is not making it abundantly clear that they're working on new 'hardcore' titles because of their new policy of not announcing games long before their release (they got their toes burned by SSBB and have been avoiding announcing titles that wont release for a year+ since).

Just because they're not visibly working on new titles, doesn't mean they aren't.