• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Kanto Pokémon League; The Next Generation Sign-up/Discussion

@Mango137 I'm going to have to ask you not to just know things other characters are trying to keep secret in the future. It's not fun for other people to portray keeping a secret when a character who wasn't told on-screen immediately reveals that secret to everyone.
It would not be fun for me if, for example, Archer's league ties meant he knows exactly what type the first gym is already. I doubt it's fun for Lizzie's RPer now that he is unable to play his intended role for his character properly.

@Mango137 I'm going to have to ask you not to just know things other characters are trying to keep secret in the future. It's not fun for other people to portray keeping a secret when a character who wasn't told on-screen immediately reveals that secret to everyone.
It would not be fun for me if, for example, Archer's league ties meant he knows exactly what type the first gym is already. I doubt it's fun for Lizzie's RPer now that he is unable to play his intended role for his character properly.
Oh shoot sorry I didn’t realize that, I can edit my post and get rid of that

@Quiver I didn't see anyone else try to rescue your trainer, so one of mine is on that now.

To everyone, keep in mind that I'd like to see the challengers start to near Pewter City soon.

@Von Pumpkin

Will you be creating any more encounter tables? There’s absolutely no rush at all, I imagine they’re quite time consuming. I would just like to know what Pokémon could be potentially caught in the routes around Saffron, possibly for Rowan.

(By the way, encounter tables are a fantastic idea and I will definitely use them)

I will be making some more encounter tables; I'll also be editing them after certain plot events. They are just a bit time consuming is all, and I have to think about how much I want to reveal, too... The next encounter tables will be for Route 3, Mt. Moon, then Route 4. I have a fun thing planned for Rock Tunnel later as well.

I shall make an admin, then :)

Name: Darcy "Darce" Higgins
Appearance: She has short black hair with longer side bangs like "wings" (look at Asuza from Soul Eater if this description isn't helping XD I can't describe it very well). She is 5'00" (152 cm) and is quite muscular. From this, she weighs 150 lbs (68 kg). She is pale white, and wears a black, long-sleeved shirt and black tights with black shorts, as well as black combat boots. She has black eyes, has on black lipstick, and has dark purple and black eye shadow with mascara on, and her nails are painted a dark purple. She also has a magenta trainer belt as her splash of color.
Personality: She is cruel and black-hearted. She won't let anyone get in the way of her plans, and when done so, she will remove them with brute force and cunning tactics. She doesn't like it when she is wrong or when she makes a mistake but will own up to it to her superiors. Otherwise, she will berate those who fail under her command and will go about doing the task herself if her underlings are incompetent. She is cold and calculating, and as cruel as her Pokemon. She only lets people call her Darcy, as Darce is only for her superiors to call her.
Backstory: She went through a troubling childhood, where her family practically disowned her at a young age. She roamed about in the Hoenn Region with one Pokemon that protected her, until she saw that she could leave the region altogether. With her Pokemon guardian, she went to Kanto where she took to stealing and lying to make a living. It was at this point that she was abducted in the middle of the night and was made a Grunt for Team Void. Not knowing who was her superior, she worked for them and made a reputation for herself within the team, quickly becoming an admin.
Pokémon Team:
Sableye - [TYPE]Dark[/TYPE][TYPE]Ghost[/TYPE]
Haunter - [TYPE]Ghost[/TYPE][TYPE]Poison[/TYPE]
Mimikyu - [TYPE]Ghost[/TYPE][TYPE]Fairy[/TYPE]
RP Sample:
From deep within the Viridian Forest, a young lady and a collection of young men and women were sitting down in a circle, facing away from each other. They were waiting for something to happen. It was then that they heard the familiar sound of an engine roaring toward them. They all got up and, as if they were synced, walked up to the road that was obscured by bushes and trees.

It was time for them to move.

A Pokemon that was out of its PokeBall in preparation for this walked up to the bush. A Cacturne then flung its arms outward and spread spikes across the road. Everyone then knelt down and listened for the truck to drive over them. The familiar sound of popping tires and skidding could be heard as the driver lost control of the truck and crashed into a tree. Immediately, they all jumped out from behind the bushes and ran up on the truck. It was a red pickup truck that had a canopy over the bed, as the driver was delivering Pokemon and materials from Viridian City to Pewter City. The driver, shaken up, got out but was immediately knocked out as one of the grunts punched him square in the face. The Cacturne ripped the canopy from off the truck and began to lift things from the back of the truck and setting them down in the bushes, hiding them from view.

When the truck was empty, everyone retreated back into the bushes. Another couple of Pokemon were released, a Pangoro and a Tyranitar. Darcy, the admin, had gone back to their waiting spot and grabbed a hold of a couple of harnesses and large backpacks. After dragging them back to the two Pokemon, the grunts began to put the large backpacks on the Pokemon and began stuffing the items in with care. Darcy and the others made sure to keep an eye out before she released her Haunter. She pointed at the driver, still knocked out. Nodding, the Haunter floated over and giggled as it used Dream Eater to cause suffering from the man, and also affecting his memory slightly when he would wake up later. He came back and was returned while the grunts and their Pokemon trekked away from the road and head back to their base of operations.

Even though this wasn't asked for, she still decided to steal these items as they could be useful for later. The stolen Pokemon would have to be brainwashed first or simply released back to the wild before they could get started on their newly "found" items.

Assuming the 'taken'-list is updated, and the one remaining Admin slot is available, I'd like to give it a shot; it's been a while since I've had the time to get involved in a roleplay.

EDIT:
Name: Grey Alder
Appearance: Grey has a pale skin with pink tones, a fair complexion to his skin and scruffy blonde hair. His eyes are pale blue in color, express a certain level of melancholy and afflicted with varying intensities of being bloodshot; the intensity being reliant on the severity of last night’s insomnia. Grey stands at 5’8” (roughly 173 cm) and has a build that’s slender and thin; low levels of body fat and muscles alike. His clothes are an unassertive style of streetwear; loose-fitting, comfortable and modest. This mostly befits slightly oversized sweaters, loose-fitting jeans and full- or half scarfs.

For the sake of following the Team Void guideline his clothes will be black, with the jeans being a lighter shade of black than the sweater, and a faded blue scarf as accessory.

Personality: A textbook example of a tortured artist; expressing a general melancholy towards the disheartening reality of existence. Grey usually feels somewhere between alienated and misunderstood while trying to maintain an inner positivity and caring nature - despite the hardship of the past plaguing his burned-out psyche. Vibes of depression are a common occurrence, but so far he’s been able to strafe off tipping over the edge by staying true to his life goals of ending Pokémon abuse. Besides this lofty goal, he still dreams of becoming a Pokémon Coordinator in the long run; surrounding himself with the Pokémon companions he cares deeply for and spending quality time with them whenever he has the slightest bit of spare time.

Backstory:
Even in the past the Alder Family never had it comfortable in terms of income and expenses. The mother, Ivory Alder, worked full-time as part of the maintenance crew for the Cerulean City Gym; the father, Jethro Alder, was a stay-at-home dad and a Pokémon enthusiast dreaming of becoming the next Pokémon Professor for the Kanto Region. The only reason they managed to put a child in this world and keep their house was thanks to the financial support of Ivory’s acquaintance: Henry Boxford, a professional journalist writing for Pokémon-related media.

The majority of Grey’s childhood was spent at home or at the Cerulean Gym; while his mother worked her maintenance shift she often took him along to let him swim and interact with the Pokémon. Over the years Grey became a fantastic swimmer, but also developed a love for the underwater ballet so often performed at the gym. The performances were inspiring and made him desire to become a Pokémon Coordinator of sorts; show the bond between Pokémon and trainer without the need for the violent battling aspect.

As Grey grew up, it became apparent that this financial aid Henry had provided was less about goodwill and more about being a steppingstone to wooing Ivory into running off with him; divorcing Jethro in the process. A divorce was filed, papers were signed and the full custody over Grey was granted to Jethro, who’d been the primary caretaker of Grey up until that point. However, the aftermath of the divorce would make itself knows in the weeks after the case had been settled. Jethro became bitter and strict over the loss of his wife; believing if he’d been more of a man she wouldn’t have ran off with another.

This resulted in Grey feeling trapped and oppressed by his father; who kept making impossible demands to make sure his son would grow up to become a man- specifically the man Jethro never was. Knowing that the Indigo Challenge would instill discipline and independence within his son, he decided to send him off to a boarding school for starting trainers at the ripe age of 13 years old – already past the age at which youngsters usually start their journey, but better late than never.

The main problem with this was the fact that dad enrolled him into Pallet Town’s Boarding School in order to make sure he’d get his Starter Pokémon straight after finishing his education; ensuring Grey wouldn’t have a chance to decline embarking on the journey. After all, coming home without a Pokémon to his name wasn’t an option in this carefully thought out plan to make him into a proper man. But, this also meant he had to take up residence in Pallet Town by himself and, for the duration of his stay, being without a parent or guardian to provide a safe environment.

During the 5 years Grey spends wasting away in boarding school he mostly passed the time training for the school’s swim team, practicing expressionism through performance art and apparel; just about anything he could to procrastinate learning about Pokémon battling and instead focus on Pokémon coordinating. This bad habit eventually caught up to him and endangered his chances at passing the final exams.

With this probability in the back of his mind he decided to take control over his own life; abandoning his school during broad daylight. He intended to set out into the world and prove that he didn’t need anyone telling him what he could and couldn’t do. However, wandering outside of towns without a Pokémon or proper transportation was ill-advised; was he stuck after all? Pallet’s Pokémon Professor wouldn’t give him a Pokémon without being a full-fledged trainer. So, instead, he convinced the local Pokémon shelter he was looking for a Pokémon to keep as a pet. After all, these poor creatures resonated with him; being just as oppressed and caged as he felt.

Though there was a fair selection available, Grey’s attention was drawn towards a young Poochyena that had a downtrodden look in its eyes. From the pale grey color of its fur it was abundantly clear this poor creature needed more sunlight and fresh air than it was getting. When he suggested taking the Poochyena, however, the worker advised against it; mentioning the Pokémon was too nervous and would try to Run Away upon being taken out of the cage.

Regardless of the warning, Grey took the Pokémon under his wing; bolting out of the shelter as before the worker would find out he wasn’t a registered trainer when trying to assign a Pokéball to the Poochyena. From that day forward criminal activities became easier and easier; developing a moral greyness for criminal activities that benefitted the wellbeing of Pokémon. Grey became somewhat of a vigilante in the region surrounding Pewter City for a while until Team Void caught air of his activities.

At the time he didn’t know what this organization aspired to achieve, but if they approved of his methods they must have had the same goal in mind. Or, at the very least, he would have more resources to pursuit his desire to halt Pokémon abuse. Over time the morality of Team Void rubbed off on him and committing robberies for them became a necessary evil; a mentality that eventually earned him the rank of Admin.

Pokémon Team:
Mightyena ( Sif ), the Bite Pokémon
The Defender – Sif is ever-grateful for being saved and expresses this through an unyielding loyalty towards Grey; willingly putting himself into harm’s way to protect his partner-in-crime.

Marill ( Nymph ), the Aqua Mouse Pokémon
The Comic – Nymph isn’t much of a fighter and mainly spends time as Grey ‘swimming buddy’ whenever he needs to unwind; having a happy-peppy Pokébuddy around significantly reduces stress it seems.

Clefairy ( Pixie ), the Fairy Pokémon
The Guardian – Pixie remembers being abducted by Grey all too well, but so far hasn’t made a single attempt to escape; believing she can help Grey overcome his past and help him become a better version of himself.

RP Sample: W.I.P.

Last edited:
@Keybored Just go ahead and fill out a profile whenever you're ready.

@Quiver You have 24 hours starting from now to make a post in the RP thread. At the end of those 24 hours, I'll have to write your gym challenger out of the story and find a replacement for your gym leader. Your gym challenger slot will not be replaced.

@Keybored I'm... I just got through that backstory, and I'm... floored. So, um, you know, you're in. You're just in now. That's how this is going. I'm adding you to the super secret Void PMs. Listen, all right, you don't understand, Grey is the most perfect addition possible.

The IC thread is located [here].

The old guard have retired. Blue is off in Alola, Sabrina is making movies... One by one, the Kanto Gym Leaders have been replaced by fresh faces and the Pokémon Professor is choosing three new child trainers to take on the gym challenge with Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charmander.

The adventure begins in Pallet Town shortly after the new trainers-to-be receive their starter Pokémon, and there's a bit of a twist! In the years following the First Champions' adventures over Kanto soil, new Pokémon have been introduced by humans or have migrated naturally from other regions. Not every Pokémon is available to catch, but most of them are.

Finally, what part of a new generation wouldn't be complete without a new Team lurking in the shadows? That's right, in the cracks left behind by Team Rocket, a new team has made a name for itself in the criminal world: Team Void. They specialize in using Dark and Ghost types, but have also been seen using Fairy types. Their motives are, as of yet, unknown, (AKA: I will PM anyone who is accepted for a role in Team Void and tell you what their mission statement is then.) but they've been committing robberies all over the region.

Team Void's uniform... isn't a uniform, but a guideline. The grunts wear all black, but a team emblem is nowhere to be found. If it wasn't for the Gym Leaders' and police officers' hard work and investigation, people would hardly know this team of night robbers had a name at all. Team Void Admins wear black with a flash of color somewhere on their uniforms. There is, as of yet, no intel on Team Void's Leader. The Gym Leaders have been on this case for years, but have turned up nothing. The grunts they manage to interrogate have never seen their leader, nor know if their leader is male or female.

Rules
  1. Each player will be allowed up to three trainers. Only one of those may be a Gym Challenge trainer.
  2. Starter Pokémon (Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle) are first come, first serve.
    2a. So are character slots. I won't be reserving anything.
  3. If you're playing one of the gym challenge trainers, you may not play a member of Team Void.
    3a. Those playing Team Void will be asked to keep the team's goals a secret until the boss admits their master plan in the RP.
  4. Team Void Admins are allowed to control a collection of underlings as NPCs in their posts.
    Gym Leaders will be allowed to control Gym Trainers for as long as the Gym Challengers are challenging that gym.
    The Gym Challengers, the Elite Four, and the Champion don't have NPCs they can personally play, other than their parents/family.
  5. Hidden Abilities and otherwise special Abilities (Own Tempo Rockruff) are available for Pokémon bought from or given to by breeders. They won't be found in the wild.
    Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle will all have their Hidden Abilities; Chlorophyll, Solar Power, and Rain Dish.
  6. If you think it's reasonable for the area, I will let you catch most anything (barring Legendary Pokémon) from any region. Try to keep it reasonable, though. It's okay to catch a Sewaddle in Viridian Forest, but it would be very strange if you could catch a Snorunt on Route 3, where it isn't icy. If you want a random encounter, I am working on a random encounter table that you can use random.org to generate for you. It is not the be-all end-all of which Pokémon can be caught.
  7. If your trainer gives a Pokémon a nickname, please make sure that your nickname is not a human name.
  8. One-liners are seldom accepted. You will be given two warnings for one-liners. That's it.
Slots
Bulbasaur: Karl (Quiver; Out of commission)
Eevee: Allie (EeviumZ)
Squirtle: Archer (Mango137)
1st, Rock: Pewter City, Hana (Von Pumpkin)
2nd, Water: Cerulean City, Sarah (EmoKitty21)
3rd, Fighting: Lavender Town, Luna (Von Pumpkin)
4th, Fairy: Mia (EeviumZ)
5th, Type: Location, Name (Player)
6th, Steel: Saffron City, Rowan (Condor)
7th, Bug: Celadon City, Auri (Slatzly)
8th, Ice: Cinnabar Island, Lizzie (Altari_owl)
Grass: Rya (Condor)
Dark: Luma (Mango137)
Fairy: Valric (EmoKitty21)
Electric: Kami (Slatzsly)
Champion: Argeus (Zanhu)
Leader: Saraki (Von Pumpkin)
Admin: Sarafina (Condor)
Admin: Furizuhato (Altari_owl)
Admin: Darcy (Merciless Medic)
Admin: Grey (Keybored)

Forms
I will be a little bit selective. I'd like to see everyone using proper grammar and compelling or fun characters. If I don't select you, it's not personal.
There are no more Gym Challenger spots available; this form has been deleted. Gym Challengers cannot be replaced.
Name:
Appearance:
Personality:
Backstory:
Gym Type:
Gym Number:
Gym Badge:
Gym Description:
Gym Team: (2-4 Pokémon that match your gym type.)
Personal Team:
RP Sample:
Name:
Appearance:
Personality:
Backstory:
Type Specialty:
Pokémon Team: (5 fully-evolved Pokémon fitting your type specialty)
Name:
Appearance:
Personality:
Backstory:
Pokémon Team: (6 fully-evolved Pokémon)
RP Sample:
Name:
Appearance:
Personality:
Backstory:
Pokémon Team: (2-3 Dark or Ghost or Fairy types for Admins. Other Pokémon, even ones that don't match Void's specialties, can be obtained later. You are allowed to have evolved Pokémon.)
RP Sample:

My Characters
Name: Hanabi Igarashi
Appearance: Standing at 5 foot, 4 inches tall, Hana walks a fine line between girl-next-door and "unapproachably popular". Her ochre complexion compliments the greens and flower patterns she likes to wear. She keeps her wavy, black hair in the signature 'idol' style, where most of it is kept flowing down, but a small bunch of hair gets tied into a pigtail on either side of her head.
Personality: Overbearingly friendly. If she thinks you're fashionable, or if you have a cool Pokémon, you are her friend now. No take backs. When she's serious, she focuses on her task so hard, she'll forget to do things like sleep or eat.
Backstory: Born into a rich family, her CEO father would buy her anything she wanted, be that a Pokémon, a shopping spree, or even admission into an otherwise-selective academy that she didn't earn her way into. It didn't take long for the realization that she was unworthy of that academy to set in, and that marked the first time she ever had to work hard for something. Years of working hard and studying for real changed her outlook on life, and her personal affinity for rock type Pokémon meant her next career choice had to be the life of a gym leader.
Gym Type: Rock
Gym Theme: "Not everything is as it seems." Swadloon is a bug that looks like a leaf. Lileep is a Pokémon that looks like seaweed. Sudowoodo is a rock that looks like a tree.
Gym Number: 1
Gym Badge: The Camouflage Badge is a brown tree trunk adorned at either side by green circles.
Gym Description: Hana's gym is a beautiful greenhouse garden, overgrown by tropical plants. Inside the walls, great palm trees grow. There's a simple, yellow-brick pathway, lined on either side by rows of beautiful and colorful hibiscus flower bushes.
Only one trainer stands between a challenger and the gym leader; a blonde beauty named Mira with a single Swadloon.
At the end, on a pink platform emblazoned with a large flower, stands the gym leader.
Gym Team: Hana starts with Sudowoodo, the rock that looks like a tree. Its ability is Sturdy, which protects it from being fainted in one turn.
Sudowoodo has all moves up to Mimic, as well as the TM for Hidden Power.
Sudowoodo's Hidden Power is Electric.

When Sudowoodo is defeated, she brings out her ace, Lileep. Its ability is Storm Drain, which makes water-type moves do no damage to Lileep, as well as power it up.
Lileep has all moves up to Ancient Power, as well as the TM for Hidden Power.
Lileep's Hidden Power is Fire.
Personal Team: Hana's first Pokémon was a Rockruff she named Pocchi. He has evolved into a Dusk Lycanroc, as well as her true and trusted companion. His ability is Tough Claws, which makes moves that require physical contact stronger. He has all moves up to Rock Slide, as well as Accelerock and the TM Hidden Power.
Pocchi's Hidden Power is Fighting.

Hana caught a Scatterbug she named Spots after he gave her a fright in Viridian Forest. He's small and has very few moves. His ability is Shield Dust.
Spots' Hidden Power is Poison.
RP Sample: HOLY HECK I FORGOT TO DO IT--
Name: Luna
Appearance: 5'1" height, wearing loose-fitting and simple clothes. Just a T-shirt and some comfortable jeans, really. She keeps her dark hair cut in a bob that reaches her chin. She has dark brown skin and chestnut eyes.
Personality: Has trouble connecting with others. Though she wants to do the right thing, always, she doesn't always know what the right thing is. She's a bit spacey and sometimes talks to herself.
Backstory: Luna spent a few years training in Alola before she came to Kanto. When the opening came for a gym leader to replace Lt. Surge, she snapped it right up.
Gym Type: Fighting
Gym Number: 3
Gym Badge: The Stuffing Badge is a white puffball.
Gym Description: Luna's gym is built in the shape of a crescent moon. Sparkling walls and floor illuminate the way to each and every trainer in the building, of which there are ten. This a fighting gym, so if you don't fight everyone, you don't get to see the gym leader. Really. Her crescent-shaped stage is empty until you do.
The TM you get for beating the gym is Bulk Up.
Gym Team: Stufful, Hariyama, Gallade, Scrafty
Personal Team: Primarina, Bewear, Alolan Dugtrio, Vikavolt, Midday Lycanroc, Alolan Persian
Name: Saraki
Appearance: Saraki typically wears a three-piece suit, all in black. Around his neck is a loosely ruffled jabot, sewn from gold lamè. He wears half-rimmed black eyeglasses that transition from clear indoors and shaded outdoors above dark eyes. His black hair is kept perfectly straight and styled in an 'effortless' crop.
Personality: Saraki is a ruthless leader. He doesn't give nicknames to his Pokémon, or spend any time fussing with people he believes are beneath him. He's your typical snooty rich guy, kind of a heel.
Backstory: [SPOILERS] (Due to the nature of Team Void's secrecy, I will edit this post once I have revealed Saraki to the protagonists in the RP.)
Pokémon Team:
Malamar, Sableye, Drapion, Mandibuzz, Jellicent, Klefki
Saraki's team members know most, if not all, moves that their species should know. Because Saraki should not engage the children in battle until they are considerably powerful, he will not grow alongside the party.
Their abilities are Contrary, Keen Eye, Battle Armor, Overcoat, Cursed Body, Prankster respectively.

Random Encounter Tables
Roll a number between 1 and 5 on random.org:
1. Rattata
2. Pidgey
3. Bidoof
4. Zigzagoon
5. Taillow
Roll 1-6 on random.org for:
1. Mankey
2. Spearow
3. Starly
4. Alolan Rattata
5. Makuhita
6. Happiny
See Route 1
Roll 1-100 on random.org for:
1: Butterfree
2: Beedrill
3-7: Metapod
8-12: Kakuna
13-22: Burmy
23-38: Pikachu
39-50: Wurmple
51-60: Caterpie
61-65: Scatterbug
66-75: Weedle
76-89: Sewaddle
90-100: Cascoon
Can I join?

@Pikaboy 11
The requirements to join this RP are:
  • Read and understand the site rules for Pokémon Roleplay
  • Read and understand the site rules for General Roleplay
  • Read and understand the general site rules
  • Also follow thread rules
Double-posting as your first action in this thread tells me you haven't done the third, and that you have never used a message board before. Double-posting the same message nine minutes after your original question is a serious red flag. I was notified the first time! I was also asleep.

No, you can't join.

Edit: I seriously rushed Luna's profile before, and that's now been fixed. She's actually an old OC of mine; her backstory has been filled out and her mannerisms are described properly. She's a Stepford Smiler.

Last edited:
What gymleader does Allie travel with, cause Grey isn't currently doing anything andI have some ideas that fit the bill. Maybe we can figure it out over PM rather than flooding this chat with plotting?

aurivee_

Previously EeviumZ
True. Or my gym leader could casually pop in if Lizzie doesn't get there in time. (Trust me, she's the type that would walk around a forest for no reason in particular.)

aurivee_

Previously EeviumZ
Let’s get into a fight. If Lizzie doesn’t come in time then I’ll have my Gym Leader intervene. (She’s a Fairy type leader.)