• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Captured by the Evil Team! (part 2: new RPers weclome)

"O-oh."Michael said, a little embarassed that his and Jodi's theory didn't quite live up to Azumi's expectations.He sighed and grabbed the pile of books and got up from the table, his legs shaking a bit from the weight. He got them to the librarian and got them checked out. He slowly made his way to the exit, Jodi passing by him with a chuckle.
"Wow, you're quite weak, aren't you?"She asked him.
"Maybe. When I'm angry my true power reveals itself."
"That didn't happen when you got mad that I beat you at arm wrestling!"
"...Let's just go."They continued to walk back to the others slowly, in case Azumi wanted to go somewhere else so they'll catch up with her quickly.

Azumi went to get Nana. When she stopped the music Nana gave a disappointed look. "Don't worry. I'm sure we can find this album online and you can listen to it at home." Azumi told her. Nana smiled and followed Azumi.
When they reached the librarian, Azumi had the books checked out and paid a mail service to her apartment. She then picked up Nana and caught up to Michael and Jodi.
Maker watched Jude and Piper. "I guess I made them feel bad." She said confused. "Oh look Eli, my sister, Michael and Jodi are back." She ran up to them. "So how was the library you nerds?" She asked playfully.
Nana jumped off Azumi's arms and began to dance, in a much slower pace than usual. Azumi smiled and answered her sister. "I got some great books and Nana discovered a new type of music."

"That's very cool! The fact that his voice sounded familiar to you, even though you'd never heard it before, is something that I'm sure many trainers could relate to on an intuitive level; I think it's indicative of the numinosity of the bond between trainer and pokemon - but I digress!

With regards to whether or not telepathy needs a trigger... this may be a good time segue into my research.
To give an immediate answer to your question: no - telepathy shouldn't need a trigger, as pokemon abilities are almost always apparent from birth. But recently I've been entertaining the idea that there are actually two forms of telepathy: the first one being the intuitive form, imparted by the ability that we call 'telepathy'; and the second one being a latent form, residing in all psychic-type pokemon, that can be independently developed or perhaps 'triggered' by some sort of event. I too have a pokemon with telepathy who isn't 'supposed' to have it, per say - that pokemon being my Girafarig. But, unlike your Espeon, I can definitively say that my Girafarig has Inner Focus as well - one of its more conventional abilities. So it would seem to me that my Girafarig's telepathy is not, in fact, the product of a formal ability; rather, it was independently developed by the pokemon.

Now this raises many questions, namely: are these two forms of telepathy functionally identical? and if so, does it then follow that 'telepathy' as a formal ability merely refers to the state of being naturally talented at the use of this ability latent within all psychic-type pokemon?
Or, if these two forms of telepathy are in fact different, then how do they differ? and how do they interact within pokemon who may have both 'telepathy' as a formal ability, and independently developed telepathy? Perhaps Nana could provide some insight into this..."

Lucian talked himself into a deep think... but quickly snapped himself out of it.
"Anyway! I would love to meet your Espeon, and try to communicate with him! Actually..."
He reached into his pocket and retrieved a pokeball
"Why don't I send out my Girafarig as well? All four of us can try to communicate with each other!"
He sent out the long neck pokemon, and awaited Alex's response...

Last edited:
Jude sighed. There wasn't much to do and time was ticking, if he sat here much longer he'd explode, and both pokemon around him looked pretty bored as well. He smiled and scooped up both pokemon. Smoke clearly just looked grumpy, like normal, and Felix, who looked very surprised to even be touched. Jude approached Piper slowly. "Hi." He said, at a distance.
Piper turned and saw him, her frown then burrowing deeper. "Hi.." She mumbled, turning around again.
"So.." Jude plopped to next to her. "You feel like battling?" He asked, looking over to her.
Piper turned to him. "Meh. Why not?" She mumbled as she struggled to get up. Jude also stood up and took a couple steps back, then placing down Felix. Felix skipped over to Piper as she let him hop up to her head.
"Go, Faith!" Piper started, flinging out a pokeball, out came an energetic-looking Pichu. The Pichu saw the positions of everybody and, realizing it was a battle, quickly stopped bouncing like it had been doing. "Chu!" It said, to acknowledge it was definitely alive.
Jude smiled and hurled out a pokeball, which opened up to a small Deino. "Jay, go!" Jude called. The Deino make a weird roaring/squeaking voice back. The two then started hurling moves at each other as the trainers called. Both sides seemed to be enjoying themselfs.

"That's all super cool! I'm actually in the middle of some research with Nana as well. She evolved into a kirlia without battling, instead I believe it was due to her dancing. Perhaps our individual findings can help each other's research!" Alex explained. He was always excited to meet another researcher. "I'm especially interested that Espeon's telepathy might not be a late-blooming ability, but rather something extra. I wonder what happened to his actual ability?" Alex pondered. "But yeah, I think the telepathic conference call is a great idea. What do you think, Espeon? Can you try saying something to Lucian?" Alex asked, looking down at the psychic cat he held in his arms.

Espeon shifted his hard stare from Alex to Lucian. "pet me," he commanded.

Alex smiled sheepishly. "I don't know if you heard that or not, but even though Espeon may be a little demanding, he's saved my life more than once. He's not purely abrasive - he's a good pokemon."

"thanks for the vote of confidence," Espeon snarked as he looked back at Alex. "ill send you any thoughts that come meow way. ill be middleman as usual," Espeon stated. "if you want to say something, just think it. im smart enough to carry a conversation," Espeon added with a bit of sarcasm.

"Can you two hear me?" Alex thought, watching Girafarig eagerly.

"Yes, the question of what happened to his actual ability is very interesting... It is possible for a pokemon to be born without an ability, although that's very rare; or perhaps your Espeon does in fact have 'telepathy' as a formal ability, and he is an exception amongst his species. Mind you the framework that I'm imposing on the situation is purely theoretical, to begin with; so it's quite possible that none of this is the case... but only further research can elucidate that. Do keep me informed regarding your research on Nana; if I get the opportunity to study her as well, then sharing notes will most certainly be mutually beneficial!"

Lucian turned toward Espeon, and eagerly awaited his correspondence. When the feline's message reached his mind he smirked and leaned over and pet him.

"Yes, I can hear him loud and clear" Lucian responded to Alex. "So could you hear him as well? Is he able to control who receives his messages? Or, maybe I should be asking this of Espeon himself?" Lucian looked at the pokemon inquisitively...

Meanwhile, Girafarig replied to Alex's thought:
"No need for a middleman: I can read minds, and project thoughts too" the pokemon sent to both Alex and Espeon.

Azumi reached the group along with Michael and Jodi. She noticed Lucian and Alex deeply in conversation with their pokemon out. She approached them slowly. "I'm sorry if I'm interrupting but I'm curios as to what you are talking about."

Maker looked at Ray and laughed. "Looks like somebody prefers the nerds than you." She pointed at Azumi with her eyes.

"Wow 'Aker." Michael said unimpressed at Maker's remark about them going to the library. "You know, usually nerds are the ones who make it big due to one of their crations, or their knowledge." He sighed and looked around at everyone. "Wow, there are so many of us now!" He thought surprised. "This is so...weird. Huh, I remember the time when there were only 5 of us! Now, I'm not a main character anymore...I'm just a secundary character..." He sighed disappointed and looked at the ground. Jodi looked at him confused and asked:
"What is it?"
"N-nothing!" He said awkwardly. Jodi rolled her eyes, noticing Piper fighting someone. She nudged Michael and the both of them went over to take a closer look. They watched the battle carefully and eventually Michael called to Piper "Nice battling skills, rookie!" He chuckled and continued to watch the battle.

"Oh, Azumi! excellent timing!" Lucian replied to her. "Alex and I were just discussing telepathy, its causes, and the various forms in which it may exist; and now we're observing our own pokemons' telepathy in action. Would you be be willing to include Nana in this experiment, as well?"

"Oh no, am I gonna have to go steal their lunch money or something?" Ray joked in response to Maker's comment. "I'd like to see their telepathy fare against my right hook!"

Last edited:
Azumi's eyes brighten when she was invited to join the experiment. "Sounds splendid!" She set Nana down. The Kirlia starred at the Girafarig, she had never seen one before. Nana began to take a few steps back, as if to get away from the stranger, until she saw Espeon. The familiar face cheered her up and she ran over to him. She began dancing in slow motion, like she did back in the library, showing off to Espeon.
Azumi smiled proudly. "She just discovered oldies and seems to like them a lot." She looked up at Alex and Lucian. "Um what should I have her do?"

Maker laughed at Ray. "I've seen that right hook. Not impressed. You get a fighting type to teach you."

"you can talk to meow. my servant here just brings me food and pets me," Espeon transmitted. "i guess meow can direct my telelthpay. ive only ever talked to my human, the orange doofus, and the dancer, so i guess ive never noticed," Espeon endearingly referred to Arcanine with no malice.

"Oh I see," Alex thought in response to Girafarig. "You're very articulated, much moreso than my pokemon," Alex commented. Espeon responded to Alex's thought with an indignant meow, jumping out of his arms. "Do you ever notice any differences in people or pokemons' mental voices?"

As Alex was talking with Girafarig, Nana walked up. Espeon greeted her with a gentle meow and sat down to watch her dance.

Lucian laughed at Espeon's comments.
"Splendid! Your thoughts are very clear for someone who developed their telepathy so recently."
He looked over at Azumi and Nana.
"Espeon: if you don't mind, could you try directing your telepathy toward the dancer, Nana? I'm curious to see if she'll respond... And Azumi, could you make sure that she's feeling comfortable so that we can get the best results possible?"

"That's something that Lucian and I work on" Girafarig replied to Alex. "As pokemon our understanding of human language is limited, so we communicate with intention alone - with pure thought. But without language to organize our thoughts, it can be very difficult to express ourselves effectively... It takes a lot of practice. As for your question: yes! mental voices are just as unique as pshyical voices, in my opinion!"

Ray laughed at Maker's response. "Maybe you're right... Speaking of nerds I need to go to the library myself: there are a few books on mythology that I've been meaning to read for my research on evil teams, especially regarding team Galactic...

Last edited:
"Of course I can do that." Azumi replied. She went over to Nana and told her. "Hey Nana, just keep dancing ok? Pretend you are in the leaving room with Typhlosion and your favorite song is on."
Nana's eyes widen with excitement as Azumi described the scenery to her. She began dancing in circles around Espeon and even humming to herself softly.
Azumi smiled. "There she is, she is in her zone."

Maker waved at Ray. "Have fun, nerd." She said sarcastically.

Espeon let out a puff of air in satisfaction, hearing Lucian's praise. "surrre," Espeon mentally purred. Espeon reached out to the little dancer with her mind.

Meanwhile, Alex responded to Lucian. "Thanks!" he said out loud. "It might be his formal housetraining. My mother runs a trainer service back home. People drop off their pokemon, and we teach them to behave, along with some basic commands like sit and stay. My arcanine has a similar voice too, when Espeon sends me her thoughts. Maybe their familiarity with figuring out new commands gave them a jump start."

Alex turned his attention back to Girafarig. "Wow, so am I just hearing my brain's interpretation of your thoughts? Or rather I mean that you're not actually thinking in English? That would explain a lot about Espeon and Arcanine's voices. They don't sound like any humans I've ever talked to."

Jude sighed. "Argh, you've improved!" He told Piper as both his Deino and his Litten were eliminated. Jude plopped down on the sand and let out an "oof." "Wait, I thought you had a Chatot.." Piper realized.
"She doesn't like battling." Jude explained. "Oh, that's fine. We should probably uh, go heal our pokemon.." She said. Jude threw out a pokeball. Out came a rather small shiny Chatot. "This is Charity." Jude said. The little Chatot hopped up to Jude and started making her way to his shoulder. She tweeted happily when she got there and saw Piper. Piper approached Charity.
"Why hellloo!" Piper said gently, scratching Charity's cheek. Charity let out a chirp of happiness and flapped her wings once.
"Anyways, yeah. We should probably go to a Pokemon Center. Jude admitted. "Do ya remember where it is?" He asked.
"I think.. Onwards!" Piper said, standing up and starting to lead the way to the nearest Pokemon Center.

By the time they made it back, it was almost evening.

"I see! yes, that make sense" Lucian responded to Alex. "I'd encourage you to continue to practice with him, and try to hone his communication skills further; it took a while for Girafarig to reach that level of ability, so I'm curious as to how quickly he'll continue improve..." He watched Nana and waited to see if she'd react to Espeon's message.

"Yes, that's correct!" Girafarig replied to Alex. "Not only that but when I listen to you, whether you are thinking or speaking, I am reading your thoughts directly as well. Even if you use language to think and speak, it doesn't 'replace' the pure thought - it merely organizes it. So telepathy is a universal language, of sorts!"

Last edited:
As Piper and Jude came back, Michael and Jodi walked over to them. "So, who's he?" Michael asked. "Is he like, your childhood friend, but from some reason you got separated, but now he recognized you and decided to talk to you and the whole battle was a kind of way to catch up?"
"It doesn't matter!" Jodi cut him off. "I'm Jodi and this is Michael!" She stretched out her hand to Jude with a smile.

Nana stopped dancing and looked at Espeon. Her eyes glowed and she began to giggle. Her voice could be heard saying. "You're grumpy." She began to dance once again around Espeon. "You need to dance."

Azumi's eyes brighten with joy. She kept her voice low as if trying not to startle Nana. "Her voice is so adorable." She then ran over to Ray and dragged him towards the group. "Listen." She said excitedly.

Piper smiled. "Yeah, that basically sums it up!" She said cheerfully as Jude slowly reached out his hand and shook Jodi's hand. "Nice to meet you," Jude said. Charity seemed curious who the two new trainers were too. "Chatot!" She squawked simply. Jude looked over to her on his shoulder. "Oh yeah, this is my partner, Charity." He said.

"Awww! She's so cute!" Michael admired Charity. "But did you like, get her from someone who donates to charity, or did you name her that only 'cause Chatot and Charity both start with 'Cha'?"
"Wow, you ask some of the most irrelevant questions!" Jodi said with a chuckle."But, since we're showing our partners, here's mine!" She threw a PokeBall into the air, which revealed her Glaceon. She happily meowed and began stretching.
"And here's mine!" Michael also threw a PokeBall into the air, which revealed his Blaziken. She landed on the ground, looking curiously at Piper and Jude.

"Honestly, I just thought that Charity was a good name for a shiny Chatot." Jude admitted, shrugging.
"If we're all bringing out partners," Piper started. "Heres my partner, Felix!" Piper said energetically. Tossing out a pokeball, which opened up to a small Shinx. Felix realized how many people there where around him and let out a little squeak. His gaze fell on the two pokemon that were out. Felix's eyes suddenly lit up, fascinated.
Jude smiled and saw the three pokemon. He smiled. Charity nervously shifted on his shoulder.

"...Anyway, are you like, gonna join our group?" Michael asked Jude with a curious look in his eyes.
"I feel like....Yes, he will."Jodi responded." Huh, every single person that our group interacts with, they usually join in...I guess we really are a magnet for innocent bystanders. That should probably be our description..." She chuckled and began petting Glaceon, who was looking at the little Shinx with a smile.

"Maybee I kinda was hoping I coouuuld join......?" Jude asked, "I dunno, I really don't want to crowd you guys with too many innocent bystanders." He said. "I'll try to meet your expectations." he joked. Charity squinted at the Blaziken, not quite sure if she wanted to investigate or not.
Felix slowly reached out his paw, thinking he was being stealthy. He touched Glaceon's leg. Felix quickly sprang back. He looked up at the Glaceon, who seemed to still be fine. "Shi?" Felix said, tilting its head, a bit confused to what exactly a Glaceon was.
Piper laughed. "I don't think he's ever seen a Glaceon." she explained, watching Felix's curiosity.

"Oh no, it's okay! We're used to being crowded!" Jodi said with a chuckle."I mean, you couldn't possibly be more annoying than Michael!"
"Hey!...That's true."Michael said with a sigh. Blaziken tilted her head at Charity, but then she gave her a bright smile. Glaceon looked a little surprised when the Shinx touched her leg, but waved to him anyways.
"But anyways, get yourself comfortable! Since we had enough space for...everyone else, you're definitely more than welcome! See you later!" She waved at them and she and Michael walked to Maker. He looked at her eagerly and asked "So what's this I hear about something salty and big?"

Felix looked a bit dissapointed that they'd walked away and gave a little tail-wave to them, specifically the Glaceon. Piper scooped himself up gently and sighed. Charity unfolded her wing and attempted what might've been a goodbye wave. Jude scratched her and decided to turn to Piper. "Welp." Her said. "Hm. Yeah.." Piper said.
She led him over to a bench. "So, how are May and Arlo?" Piper asked, starting to swing her legs, since her feet still didn't quite reach the ground.
"Their names are Jude's mom and dad," Jude joked, because that's what she had called them when they where kids. Piper laughed.
"Seriously though, they're just same as always." He admitted.
The two of them started to catch up.

"Oooooooooooh! I wanna come too!" Michael said excited. He rushed down the road, searching for a food place that doesn't have only things that contain meat.
"Michael! Wait!"Jodi called after him."Stop before you accidentally bump into a tre-Ugh, too late."She sighed as Michael bumped into a tree nearby a food stand.
"Ow, why and how do I always do that?"

"Hey! Wait for me!"Michael called out, rushing to Eli and Maker. Jodi quietly sighed and followed them. They eventually arrived at the place and Michael pretended to gag. "All this meat smell is making me wanna vomit."He noticed there were veggie burgers there and immediately ordered one. He directed his attention back to Eli and Maker and asked "So how come you two are hanging out together?"

Maker laughed at Eli's request. "Ok fine! I never had anyone pay for it. I hope you don't regret it." She looked over at the person taking their order. "I will take an order of tacos with green salsa, no onions or cabbage, just tomatoes and limon. Also, some mango flan for dessert." She grinned happily and waited for her food.

"That's fascinating! So for your thoughts to come across as clear English, you had to change the way you think? If it's possible for pokemon to think in a more English-ey way, is it possible for me to better understand the way pokemon speak? In other words, can I communicate in pure thought as well?" Alex responded to Girafarig, and tried to include Lucian in receiving the message.

Espeon thought about Nana's suggestion for a moment. Silently, he stood up and began walking in a wide circle, trying to keep a simple, methodical rhythm with his steps and flicking his tail.

"Espeon, I didn't know you danced," Alex said aloud, genuinely surprised.

"meow can hear youre thoughts, you dont have to speak you know," Espeon snarked back, dodging Alex's comment.

"Yes, that's an accurate conception" Girafarig responded to Alex. "Although the way I restructure my thoughts isn't specifically English-ey, per say. To put it simply, I'm imposing onto my thoughts the syntactic tendencies of languages in general - a language without words, that is to say: merely structure. Although I've never considered the implications of a human learning to communicate in this way... I would advise you to speak to Lucian about this - he's the expert, not me."

Ray heard Nana's exclamation is his mind, and Azumi came running up to him shortly after and he happily followed her.
"I heard it too! Even from all the way over there! She does sound adorable, doesn't she?" he looked on excitedly, waiting to see if she'd say any more...

Lucian looked surprised when Nana's voice appear to resonate with so many people, including himself.
"Incredible! to have been heard by so many people is indicative of great psychic power!" he said excitedly.

Nana giggled as she saw Espeon dancing also and followed behind. "Nice and slow!" Her voiced was heard.
Azumi grabbed Ray's hand with excitement. "Wow can you imagine if she can help us hear other Pokemon? I wonder what Edward would sound like, or Typhlosion!" She wouldn't take her eyes off the dancing Kirlia. She smiled proudly to Lucian's comment. "Well she is the daughter of one of the toughest pokemon in Kalos. I guess we should've seen it coming."

"Oh okay, so you try to think more in chunks of specific, rigid meaning, rather than in feelings and fluid concepts?" Alex thought to Girafarig. Alex turned his attention to Lucian and spoke out loud. "Hey, Lucian? If it's possible for Girafarig to better learn to think and interpret thoughts posed in a language-esqe style, is it also possible for people to learn to think and communicate in a way closer to pure thought, like pokemon do?"

Alex smiled, overhearing Azumi's excited comment. He remembered hearing his pokemon's voices for the first time, and it was an incredible experience. He hoped Ray and Azumi would get to have it someday soon, too.

Espeon was careful to direct his telepathy at Nana alone. "like this, right?" he asked, continuing his simple, almost robotic dance.

"Yes!" Nana's voice rang through their minds. She began singing a song, although she wasn't saying the lyrics right, they were close to the original.
Azumi got even happier. "That's the song she was listening to at the library." She told Ray quietly.

Maker had finished her tacos and was now eating her flan. "Wow this is some good stuff!" She stopped all of a sudden. "Now that I think about it, my servent is taking long." She shrugged and continued eating.