• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Animal Crossing: New Leaf releases next week on June 9th in North America, June 14th in Europe, and June 15th in Australia, and I'm curious to know who plans to buy it at launch. If not at launch, who plans to buy it at some point in the future?

It's safe to say that I've been psyched for this game's release since it was first name dropped re: 3DS so you can bet that I'm getting it at launch. Aside the usual reasons that make me love this series I'm really looking forward to taking advantage of some of these new connectivity features, particularly the ability to freely visit a "dream" version my friends' towns. The weekend can't come soon enough. :8B:

(P.S. Feel free to use this thread for general New Leaf discussion, too)

I'm hoping to get it but unfortunately I'm too broke to get it at launch so I'm probably going to wait until late June or July to get it.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
I've earned a free download copy through Nintendo's So Many Games promotion, so I should have the game on launch day assuming Nintendo send the codes out on the day. >> <<

I've been a fan of Animal Crossing since the DS version and have played both the Gamecube and Wii versions, but I value the series a lot more on a handheld, so I've been excited for this version since Nintendo announced it. :)

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Players who bought download codes from GAME can download the game right now, for those of us stuck waiting on the So Many Games promotion we'll likely have a code emailed by Saturday, but they should go up on Club Nintendo tomorrow. I'm really excited for this game now ♥

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
So many people I know are excited by this game... but I just don't get it xD I looked into getting it, but I'm just not sure if it looks like something I'll enjoy. You'll all have to let me know how good it is and then I'll decide :?

Basically seconding what Magpie said, I don't know what to think of New Leaf, or any of the Animal Crossing games. To put it simply, I just don't understand it. I know it's about walking around the town, meeting furry folk who eventually ditch the town and leave you all alone, and entering slave labour for said animals every day. To me, it sounds a lot like Harvest Moon without the farming or the giant tree to save. Is there something about the games that I'm missing?

Brendan Savem said:
Is there something about the games that I'm missing?
It's quite hard to explain, but it's nice to have your own little life where you're just worrying about catching a rare kind of fish or getting a rare kind of furniture. It's relaxing to play, and the customisability is good.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
So I've got the game now and my local town fruit is Peaches. If you guys have other types of fruit, trade with me! :3

(Haven't had a lot time to play yet so I haven't really done much beyond buying a shovel, fishing rod, and selling some fruit. Immediate goal: get mah first house.)

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Linkachu said:
So I've got the game now and my local town fruit is Peaches. If you guys have other types of fruit, trade with me! :3

I have apples as my main fruit and was given some oranges by Isabelle. ^^

I booted the game up last night but only really started playing it this morning and making any progress. I've given Tom Nook the down payment for my house (I'm the mayor, why am I having to pay so much money?!). I've also sorted myself out with a shovel, fishing rod and net, so I've been collecting stuff for the museum and I've also been watering flowers (the fact they stay shining after they've been watered is stupidly helpful). ^^

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Brendan Savem said:
Basically seconding what Magpie said, I don't know what to think of New Leaf, or any of the Animal Crossing games. To put it simply, I just don't understand it. I know it's about walking around the town, meeting furry folk who eventually ditch the town and leave you all alone, and entering slave labour for said animals every day. To me, it sounds a lot like Harvest Moon without the farming or the giant tree to save. Is there something about the games that I'm missing?

This is pretty much it. Although New Leaf is meant to be a significant amount better from placing you in the position of Mayor, instead of just another villager (who ends up being more a caretaker of the entire place anyway). There's a bit of an actual progression through the game and you have to grow and expand your village.

Ultimately, it's one of those things that's -deliberately- repetitive, though. You'll get bored of it eventually, but that doesn't seem to stop the millions of people that play Farmville or its clones - and Animal Crossing was the template for those kind of games (only without the microtransaction bullshit).

I found pleasure in the DS version for a while, but had no reason to bother with it after a few weeks. I wouldn't have bothered with the 3DS version if it weren't free for me. The fact it's permanently on my 3DS, though, may tempt me to jump into it more often than I would ever have done if the inconvenience of swapping carts around was there - so maybe things will go differently this time. But, really, if you don't get Animal Crossing, don't get Animal Crossing. If it weren't for the spit and polish that Nintendo bestows upon its games, it wouldn't stand up half as well under any serious scrutiny of what the actual gameplay is.

Demelza said:
Linkachu said:

I have apples as my main fruit and was given some oranges by Isabelle. ^^

I booted the game up last night but only really started playing it this morning and making any progress. I've given Tom Nook the down payment for my house (I'm the mayor, why am I having to pay so much money?!). I've also sorted myself out with a shovel, fishing rod and net, so I've been collecting stuff for the museum and I've also been watering flowers (the fact they stay shining after they've been watered is stupidly helpful). ^^

I have pears, I'd be glad to trade for other fruit.

I've acquired a shovel, fishing rod, net and watering can. I've also paid for my house, so I'm sorted in that respect. I got an amethyst when I hit a rock, and I'm not sure what its purpose is. At one point I saw a present flying above my head and I wanted a slingshot to shoot it down with so badly :(

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Brendan Savem said:
To me, it sounds a lot like Harvest Moon without the farming or the giant tree to save. Is there something about the games that I'm missing?

See, if it was more like Harvest Moon I'd probably have been very interested, because I love the farming aspect. If you could look after chickens in the game I'd happily get obsessed with looking after them and hatching little baby chickens :'D

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Toastie said:
I have pears, I'd be glad to trade for other fruit.

Snazzy. If you're still looking for certain other fruits I now have access to apples, cherries, and oranges too (with peaches again being my local fruit). I'm very happy to trade and/or just give you some of 'em, so if you're still interested drop me a PM regarding when you'd be available and we'll go from there. :D

I've got apples (and some oranges, too...) if anyone would want to trade around.

I'll admit, I fell into the old trap of Time Traveling...but after moving four days ahead I realized that I was missing the whole point, turned the game back to the actual date, and haven't moved since. I used to be a violent time traveler in Wild World, and even a little bit in City Folk. Something about this version is making it much, much easier for me to not continue doing it, though...maybe I'm just getting older :p

The Island is an absolutely awesome addition to the game...but it does seem to make earning bells stupid easy. I'm not totally sure how I feel about it yet.

I've got Peaches, Mangos, Cherries, Bananas and Lemons. Yep lots of tropical fruit.

I restarted my games after four days because I wound up hating the layout of my town, so I did some stupid Timey things and went back to the day I first got my game(which was five-ish days ago) and was just jumping around time to get things done. Now that I have everything back to how it was the first time(for the most part) I'm just DONE with time travel! It's an evil thing, and very hard to fix if you don't remember exactly what you did...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I finally visited my Dream Suite today and set-up my dream town thing. My Dream Address is 4500-2250-7378. If any of you guys have unlocked yours, share 'em! :3

I bought the game last week and I adore it so far. All the little things add up. :D One of my random favorite things is the different angles in the house and the museum. Now you can see all of the furniture in your house. It also especially pays off in the ocean room of the aquarium.

The only thing I dislike is how long it takes to get stuff. I played City Folk first so not having access to Shampoodle, Kicks, Gracie as well as the ability to buy flowers, a net, and a slingshot for so long is/was off-putting.
But I have over a million bells saved up!~

Dream Address: 5800-2287-5592

I've gotten a hold of Pears, and Apples, to go along with my Cherries and Peaches.Also my main street is looking a lot less empty now that I've got shampoodle, kicks, and the gardening store.

As a side note I want to change the exterior look of my house, but I don't know how many upgrades I need to actually do that.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
My native fruit is Pears, and I also have Lemons, Lychees, Coconuts, Mangoes, Peaches, and Apples. Would like to trade for any other fruit!

I also have a spare Mario Super Star from the Fortune Cookie things, if anyone's interested in that. I will accept any Gyroid that I don't already have in return!

Is anyone into trading for furniture sets yet? I'm specifically collecting Robo- and Blue-.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
baratron said:
My native fruit is Pears, and I also have Lemons, Lychees, Coconuts, Mangoes, Peaches, and Apples. Would like to trade for any other fruit!

I also have a spare Mario Super Star from the Fortune Cookie things, if anyone's interested in that. I will accept any Gyroid that I don't already have in return!

Is anyone into trading for furniture sets yet? I'm specifically collecting Robo- and Blue-.

I have planted all of the fruits but a Persimmon (which I'll finally do tonight), so I'm happy to assist you with obtaining Oranges, Cherries, Bananas, Durians, and later Persimmons.

I've been hording Gyroids so I could likely help you out with your collection if you have a list of the ones you still need. :)

As for furniture sets, I'm currently collecting Modern, Regal, and Robo stuffs. Which items do you have from Robo and Blue? I only have the Robo bed but I believe that I have both the flooring and wallpaper for the set.

*Will attempt to put together some "Wanted Furniture" lists at some point soon...*

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Told bara this on chat but someone in my HH Showcase has the entire robo set (minus the wall) so i can order it for people who want it

Somehow I got a Perfect Town rating already and while I'm pleased, I'm bewildered. I didn't expect it to happen so soon seeing as I played City Folk for years and my town never rose above decent. At first I thought it was a glitch, but then a Jacob's Ladder bloomed. Has anyone else got a perfect town rating yet?

Conversely I doubt I'll be winning any HH awards. In my showcase I think the higher a person's score, the more garish and cluttered their house is. I'm going to decorate my house the way I see fit and disregard the HH.

I know no one else has posted since I last did, but I wanted to bump because I finally got myself a Dream Address!

4200 2380 8612

Still no wifi at my house, but at least it's something!

I meant to post in this thread a few days ago but I wasn't logged in and I was too lazy to do that.

I never played any of the Animal Crossing games before but I got New Leaf earlier this month and so far I like it a lot! It's a lot more casual than I was expecting, but I haven't timed traveled at all, I'd rather just wait it out.

I'm mayor Lazlo and I'm in charge of Bayhale Hollow.

My favorite villager is Ruby, she's an albino rabbit and me and her are best friends. I went over her house once and she let me have her asteroid and now it floats around in my room. She likes fashion and space and fun and wants to be famous.

It took me so freaking long to get a fishing rod like I spent almost a week checking the store and all they had was the net and the shovel. But whatever I barely ever fish now anyways.

I'm working hard to pay off all my house loans quickly so I can keep expanding. Right now I think my ground floor room is as big as it can be because my last upgrade gave me a second floor that I'm still paying for. I'm also building a dream suite so I'll post here with my code once that's finished.

I don't know if this is the place to share my 3DS friend code? It's 3754 7114 9530 and you can PM me if you add me so I can add you back. I'm sure there's a separate thread for these so I'll go look for that and post there too.

Hmm what else... My native fruit is apples and I also have mangos, a few peaches, lemons, persimmons and bananas if anybody needs anything. I need cherries and coconuts and probably other things but those are the only ones I really want. I have a secret beach that you can only get to by swimming over from the other beach and I planted a bunch of bananas there but I saved room so I can fill the rest of it up with coconuts.

My favorite bug I've caught so far is the walking leaf. I keep one in my room as a pet.

I was playing earlier today and I closed the DS lid without saving so it was in sleep mode, but when I opened it up again it just stayed in sleep mode and I couldn't figure out how to wake it up so I had to turn it off and reset everything I did today. And then I had to listen to Resetti tell me it was my fault even though I am a victim here. But now the shops are closed so I can't even buy back the mummy legs from the Able Sisters, plus my play coins that I bought fortune cookies with didn't get reset back. And I won a cool bookshelf from playing hide and seek with my friends from my village but when I played it the second time I just got a wallpaper. So that sucks.

baratron

Staff member
So, who's still playing New Leaf? I picked it up again this week. Since I am a bit of a cheater, my game currently thinks it's 18th August (I stopped playing in July). Since I am not that much of a cheater, I bought a fake painting even though I knew it was fake (hit the wrong button when replying to Redd) and killed a hybrid flower when attempting to catch a mole cricket, and did not reset on either occasion.

Okay, maybe I'm just scared of Mr Resetti >:D.

I'm still collecting the Robo series, and also the Modern Wood, Minimalist, and Sleek series. Sorta bored with the furniture that's been in the game versions on several consoles, so I'm only collecting other furniture as I see it for the catalogue. Trying to finish building my third bridge right now, though I only need 4000 bells for that.

I'm on an 8x8 ground floor room and a 6x6 upstairs room. Current state of mortgage = 470,000 bells. Ouch.

Still collecting gyroids... I have a spare Tall Echoid and Mega Fizzoid. I'll make a complete list of the ones I have when I can be bothered (i.e. if anyone is actually still playing, or has given up and wants to get rid of their stuff). Also, I still need the other fruits that I didn't mention above. Yeah, I kinda stopped playing about 2 weeks after posting that :?.

Last edited:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've been playing the game off and on for the last couple of months, most notably when a special event is happening, but not on a regular basis like I did throughout the summer/September. For example, I booted it up for Halloween, Toy Day, New Year's Eve, etc. The Northern Lights are prettyyyyyy in the Animal Crossing world. ♥

When I initially put the game down I was in the middle of collecting the Robo/Regal sets and finishing off the last of my Modern set. My major goal was to make lots of cash via my Perfect Peach crop and 100% pay off my house, which currently has the full upstairs, basement, and a right-side room. I'm fairly certain that neither my basement or right-side room are full sized yet but if they aren't, they're one step away from it.

I still need a hefty amount of the fish and loads of the artwork stuffs but I'm very close to completing my bug and fossil collections. I've obtained the golden watering can, upgraded my town hall, and built a police station. Currently in the process of building a spot for silly ol' Resetti. :3

I've had various beloved residents move away over the past few months but my top favourite has still remained: Daisy. I love my Daisy. ♥
Daisy is adorable and she knows it.png
@baratron: I meant to mention yesterday that if you'd like to visit and raid my fruit collection, feel free! Just stab me next time I'm on the chat or drop me a PM when you're free to play and we can go from there. :)

baratron

Staff member
Oooh, pictures! Now, there's an idea.

First of all: Embarrassing discovery. I thought that lilies and violets were the same kind of flower, because they LOOK almost identical. Look at "yellow lily" and "yellow violets" - I swear they're the same! So I was planting lilies next to violets and vice versa, and wondering why I wasn't getting any hybrid flowers from them ;_;.

I still haven't had any hybrid flowers from them, but it's now due to luck rather than human error.

Here's my character with her hybrid flowers (and fail hairstyle, courtesy of picking the answers I actually believed rather than the ones necessary to get the hairstyle I wanted >:D. This is also why I started out with blue eyes instead of brown). Although the white violets weren't actually a hybrid, boo:
HNI_0018.JPG

I now have pink roses as well :blush:.

Here's my character with way superior hair, and an OCTOPUS. Similar poses exist with a chambered nautilus and a giant isopod:
HNI_0033.JPG

Here I am terrifying the hedgehogs in Able Sisters with my Science Genius outfit. I've since bought an Amazing Machine, and should perhaps re-take this picture next to it:
HNI_0037.JPG

And here's Pierce the buff eagle wondering how on earth he's going to navigate my upstairs room. Yes, I do Feng Shui TO DEATH!:
HNI_0047.JPG

My house now has an 8x8 main room, 6x6 upstairs room, and a 4x4 room at the back. Although I've moved all of my Balloon furniture and pandas into the 4x4 room, and put all of my Modern Wood furniture into the upstairs room.

My village has 3 bridges (although I really wish I hadn't placed one of them where I did - it was a good idea at the time?), a yellow bench, the first museum renovation, and I'm working on a campsite. Simply because I want the campsite visitors :D.

Steadily completing my catalog here-- I mean to play day by day but on days when I have a lot of classwork I just don't feel like playing. And thus my villagers call me a time traveler.

I completed my bug/fish encyclopedia after a trip to my sisters' town that is ahead (March) and got my golden fishing rod from chip, so that was nice. The Ables refuse to sell me new dresses that I need for my catalog, and just show the same ones over and over again.

I'm getting closer to my set of keeper/dream villagers-- I missed someone giving away Lolly on reddit by about 10 minutes and I was kicking myself. Pashmina pinged me to move out and I decided to let her go. Once she's moved out I'm going to put down some lamps in the remaining house-sized plots so that a possible move-in will be constrained and not destroy my hybrids.

I think I have all the PWPs since no one has pinged me for a new one for two months at least, except the bridges-- but I would have to destroy one bridge and I'm paranoid about not being able to rebuild a destroyed bridge in the same spot. We'll see.

Just another day under my tyrannical rule of course.

baratron

Staff member
I have decreed that I am Not time-travelling because I simply set my clock back to July, and am now working forwards. In my book it is only time-travelling if you go back in time repeatedly, e.g. because today's Sunday and you missed getting the song from K.K. Slider on Saturday night. Don't bother arguing with me, I know I'm right >:D.

Has anyone managed to get the medal for 20% catalogue completion? (Or even the 50% and 80% medals). I'm wondering how on earth much you need to buy in order to get them. I looked at a catalogue FAQ and collapsed in a fit of meeping.

HNI_0054.JPG

My campsite's finished and I'm working towards the cafe. Was surprised that it gets put in the village rather than in the Main Street shopping area. I believe my Timmy and Tommy shop is now at its maximum level (it has red signs and has absorbed Leif's gardening shop).

Nana gave me a banana, so I finally have one banana tree! :D
HNI_0057.JPG

Still need cherries and oranges, and of course persimmons.

The curse of Animal Crossing:
HNI_0053.JPG

"Only" one million Bells ;_;.

Has anyone managed to get the medal for 20% catalogue completion? (Or even the 50% and 80% medals). I'm wondering how on earth much you need to buy in order to get them. I looked at a catalogue FAQ and collapsed in a fit of meeping.

Yup, I have the 80% medal, and that's after more than half a year of play, tons of trading (and duplication of rare japanese items) and a little bit of time traveling in the process of getting villagers to move. It's quite unnecessary-- better to get the items you actually want rather than ALL THE ITAMZ like an obsessive person like me. Hoo hoo hoo.