• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Your First Pokemon

I'm not talking about your Starters or anything. I'm asking about which Pokemon did you fall in love with first. Which Pokemon got you interested in the series?

When the series debuted in my country, I had no idea what Pokemon was, as I had never owned a Game Boy at the time. Pikachu and the other starters were adorable and all, but they weren't the ones that got me interested in the franchise. At first, I was just interested at the concept of catching and raising these amazing little critters. A few days later, little stickers and fake Pokemon Cards began to come out in stores and I bought some to see what other Pokemon there were. And that's when I first saw Pidgeotto. It looked so cool, and for a while I kept its trading card with me. I was even overjoyed to find that Ash would eventually catch one.

So that's it. Pidgeotto is one of the first reasons why I fell in love with Pokemon.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I want to say Raichu, but it'd be a lie. It was three Pokemon - Venusaur, Blastoise, and Charizard - who immediately caught my interest the first time I saw them.

I was looking through a Nintendo Power magazine (not sure if it was the same issue that initially introduced me to the Pokemon franchise), and it had a poster advertising the release of Red and Blue. The three starters and the player character were displayed upon it in all their glory... And damn did they look awesome. All three of them did. Some people find Venusaur ugly, but looking at it on that poster... I thought it was one of the coolest creatures I'd ever seen XD

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Haunter. First episode I'd ever watched was the one where Ash takes Haunter to fight Sabrina.

I don't like Haunter much any more though.

Honestly I'm not sure which Pokemon got me into the series. I don't think one single Pokemon actually got me hooked, but I can say that once I got into the series the first Pokemon I fell in love with was Gengar.

Same as RX. Though I never had its trading card. Pidgeotto wins. Until Swellow came in. But watching the third or forth episode (One of the two) where Ash caught Pidgeotto. THat was like the best part, until Ash caught Charmander.

Really, Charmander and Pidgeotto made me stay clinged to Pokemon.

Until Swellow came along. The rest is all Swellow.

The Pokemon that drew me into the series was...wait for it...SKUNTANK!

I say that because I got into the whole Pokemon series a little late. I liked it when I first heard about it (about G/S period), but no one I knew was getting it, so I thought it would be boring to play without people to play it with. I finally got Diamond when my friends started talking about getting DP.

But back to Skuntank. When I was researching what version to get, I looked at the version exclusive Pokemon and decided which I thought were the best. However, when I came to the whole Glameow/Stunky split, I thought that a Dark/Poison skunk was way cooler than a Normal kitten.

Also, Skuntank is only weak to Ground. That was the fact that made me get Diamond, thus getting Toxspeed, my second-in-command Skuntank.

(First-in-command is Poach the Empoleon)

Charmander, Squirtle and Mew

I was just so amused when i saw a lizard with its tail on fire :p

Squirtle won me over with the Squirtle Squad, gotta love the shades ^^'

and when i saw the first movie, Mew was my favorite

wow...brings back memories :)
For me I remember way back with red and blue and i hated the starters i always wished a pokemon game would come out and you could start with an unordinary pokemon like yanma or elekid like people in the show, but anyways the hole reason i got into pokemon was way back when i was 8 years old i saw an episode from season 1 and i thought it was kinda cool..well that was until i saw onix. Im not sure why but when i first saw onix i was all like AWSOME!! i want one so i can ride it to school..but then i realized pokemon aren't real.

P

Pokepok

I used to like Gyarados, after seeing it in that ship-wreck episode, but then I saw Milotic in the Robert (coordinator) and in the Hoenn- 8th Gym battle episodes. Now, I have my interests in Milotic! 

Charmeleon. No clue why though. Maybe because its a lizard-like appearance. I was obsessed with Dinosaurs at the time, so that's probably why. Scizor and Cyndaquil made me want to play gen 2, Milotic is why I wanted to play gen 3. (It was a LONG time before I caught a feebas.) In gen 4, Drapion. Don't know why XD (I have a hoarde of them on my Pokémon Ranch XD)

Well, to sum it up, I got into pokémon because of Charmeleon. FLAMING LIZARD ♥

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...well, it was probably Pikachu. :p Maybe Vulpix of Butterfree. But I do have fond memories of some of my earlier likes...
The first Pokemon card pack I ever got had a Nidoking in it, that made me love Pokes' 'cuz it was holographic.
Haunter was flippin' epic in the anime, I really liked the episode where Ash and Pikachu got out of their bodies... yeah, I didn't know it was supposed to be scary/creepy/freaky/what ever.​

Lugia, for me. A kid on a bus showed me a Pokémon game. I liked it, but had no idea it was Pokémon (XD). When I went to a game store, I saw a box with Lugia on it (Silver Version), and thought it looked cool. Then, looking on the back of the box, I realized it was the game that kid showed me. So, I had my mom buy me a Pikachu/Pichu GameBoy Color and Silver Version.
I was an assertive little girl then... I've lost that now.

Well there were actually several things that brought me into the world of pokemon

It's impossible for a four year old to not fall in love with a pikachu, but that only explains the game
The thing that dragged me into the TV series when I was eight was probably the Johto match that involved Charizard and Blaziken. I just loved a hard kicker and a fire, but a hard kicker on fire was just too much.

My first episode I watched was the two Gyms fighting in Dark Town, can't remember or be bothered to find the name out for the life of me :p

Scyther and Electabuzz were just pure win. :D

[size=8pt]Hurf.
Back when the trading cards were the coolest thing since sliced bread, I had my own deck with my own holographic machamp.
Which I promptly traded for a Rapidash.
I know Dx

But it was rapidash that made me fall in love with the pokemon series, and proceed to buy the games and watch the anime. After I grew out of that phase, the addiction just sort of.. lingered.
I never grew out of pokemon, which is why I have a game from every generation :3[/size]

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
OK, I fully admit it. Back when I was 5 or 6, I was a Pikachu whore. As you do. So I had to get Yellow instead of Red or Blue.

I still have a set of Pokémon plush toys to this day, actually. >>

Last edited:

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
By chance I saw the first ever episode of Pokemon on the morning the series started, while having breakfast before going to school. At first, it was my little brother who wanted to watch it and I merely watched it because it was on. I'd have to say Charmander sparked my interest, I loved him so much, and Bulbasaur too. However, Vulpix was what really did it. My favourite animal has always been the Red Fox, and my favourite element is Fire. It was like my perfect Pokemon. So I'd have to say although Charizard blew me away, Vulpix was there first.

After Silver/Gold came out I lost interest. I stopped watching the series and kind of just forgot about Pokemon all together. I didn't play or even think about Ruby/Sapphire. Then, about two years ago I met my Boyfriend, who had also used to really love Pokemon. We talked about memories and it made me want to play the games again. He'd played Ruby and Leaf Green, and said they were good games. I bought Ruby and completely and utterly fell in love with Manectric and he became and remains my favourite Pokemon. He kind of got me back into the series, and I can now honestly say I love Pokemon now even more than I did when I was younger XD

I had first heard of the game through someone at where I used to work. She had either Red or Blue, I don't know which, and she was playing it up at Customer Service when nothing was going on. :p At that point I had no clue what the big deal was about this game although I had heard rumblings that it was doing quite well. So I finally had saved enough money and went and bought my own Gameboy Color (my very first gaming system by the way) and went and looked for this crazy Pokeymans game that everyone seemed to be talking about. While looking through all the neat looking boxes of Gameboy games I saw what had to be one of the neatest looking monster ever, Blastoise. I mean, here was this powerful looking turtle, but it had freaking canons coming out of its shell! I didn't even know about the typing, but that made me instantly fall in love with Blastoise, and sure enough I went home with Blue and started with a Squirtle that day. The anime just made the game that much sweeter when I was able to see all the creatures in motion and how the attacks looked in a real battle instead of crappy little sprites with minimal animation.

To this day, I still play all the games and watch the anime much to the chagrin of some of my friends. ::)

When I was younger I don't think I really had the Pokémon experience I wish I did. The only reason I got into it was because my brother had Yellow version and the only game I had was Mario Golf. So, my dad got me Red version and I loved it. Yeah, I didn't really get into Pokémon because of any particular one, and up until 2nd generation I never even had a favorite Pokémon really. I DO know, however, that everytime I restarted my Red version, which was actually quite a lot, I would have to get a Pidgeot, because I loved them. I only ever trained it to level 64, though, because that was my favorite number and I think Gary's highest leveled Pokémon was level 64.

So I guess the Pokémon that kept me going was Pidgeot. I loved having mine beat Gary's because that just made the final battle so dramatic.

EDIT: And I didn't have cable when I was younger so I couldn't watch the anime. Games and trading cards was all Pokémon meant to me.

PIKACHU WHORE FTW! i had yellow version because my mum bought it and i was VERY yound at the time. i loved the little yellow fella and then, watching the anime, i fully fell in love with it. it was the first pokemon i ever owned/saw and i thought it was awesome. i was quite derranged as a kid :D i think at one point, i had a whole collection of pokemon cards and raded legendaries for pikachus with a different picture on them

S

Shocari

Machamp. I had bought a deck of Pokemon cards because the cover looked cool, and the first card I saw was Machamp. It was different though: the yellow border was shorter on top and thicker on bottom. I have carried that card around since I got it, and it brings me good luck. He's not my favorite anymore, but he holds a special place in my heart that can never be filled in by anything else.

I remember, long long ago, when pokemon first came out, I saw Squirtle and fell in love with it. The first episode I ever saw was Pokefriends. And I loved Squirtle, and his black sunglasses, I thought it was so cute. It also started my love for water pokemon.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I remember that day now almost 10 years ago when I saw my first Pokemon commercial. It was the one where the vacuum cleaner is sucking in all the Pokemon and says "Gotcha!" after sucking in Snorelax. Then they showed the box art for Red and Blue Versions. Had to have the cool looking turtle. There was no getting around it. And it worked to because my brother wanted the dragon.

So we get our respective versions and Game Boys that Christmas and start playing. By luck I got Squirtle just because I chose the Pokeball in the middle. This also started my trend of picking the water starter every game. Until Chimchar that is. As a pyromaniac monkey myself, it's easy to see why I wouldn't choose Piplup. Maybe in Platinum Pip.

While reading the posts already posted here I started wondering: which pokemon REALLY got me into it? Now, I figured it out. Long ago (don't remember exactly when, but long ago) my grandma bought me and my little brother a pack of pokemon cards. And there was one card that was different from the rest. It was a holographic Mr. Mime. I really loved Mr. Mime and it was my favorite for a long time, but then it was replaced by Scizor. I fell in love with it during the fourth pokemon movie. It is just too frikkin damn cool!

MY altime faves are rhyperior, electrive and garchomp i can't really decide between them. first time i saw a rhyperior i was like WOW!!!!!!!!!! and then i started having an army of them and its the same with the other pokemons that i like. I breed them!!!!!!!!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
MY altime faves are rhyperior, electrive and garchomp i can't really decide between them. first time i saw a rhyperior i was like WOW!!!!!!!!!! and then i started having an army of them and its the same with the other pokemons that i like. I breed them!!!!!!!!

Please, please stop abusing exclamation marks in your posts. It just comes off as n00bish >>
Consider this your second warning, too, because if you keep typing like this you're gonna get n00b'd fast. Read the rules please.

Edit: Blah. Nevermind. You didn't even read the first post of this thread, did you? And with everything else you've posted lately... -.-

You are now n00b'd. Have fun getting out of the Realm. :p

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Ditto for the win :)

A friend of mine made the mistake of giving me their game to try out, and I encountered a wild Ditto east of Fuschia City [I believe it was Red or Blue, but may have been Yellow]... Well, I attacked the ditto once with his lead pokemon, it lived just barely and then transformed into whatever his lead was.. having never played, touched, or really seen pokemon aside from comercials, I thought that made ditto the single most epic thing I'd ever seen.. and threw the Master Ball at it before immediately saving the game. Needless to say, I was never allowed to touch the game again XD

I still adore Ditto today XP

That's just brilliant Ruko. I lol'd.

But, if I remember correctly, I started out as a Digimon type of person.
I think I saw the end half of an episode of Pokemon involving Snorlax, but I couldn't be completely sure. It was two of my friends who REALLY Got me into it, when they began getting Pokemon trading cards. I kept them in some sort of little orange cooler thing. I think my favorite was (lol) the Misty Trainer card...I got it with my first pack, and I remember trying to get all the "Misty" cards. I was a water-fanatic. I also had that video....

(2ooth post!)

Id have to say Charizard, its just by the way he looked and by how much time my uncle spent playing the game and watching the show made me wanna play it more. I didnt really geta play untill g/s were out

The Pokemon that got me first intrested in Pokemon itself? Well, if y'all know anything about me, you'd know it was Suicune. It is my favorite Pokemon after all. The very first game I got was Crystal, with Suicune on the cover. I just thought it was the most elegant and beautiful Pokemon I'd ever seen, and I still think so, even though that's apparently meant to be Milotic now.

Still, it was Suicune which got me interested. Then I found out about Charizard, and I was sold.​

Oh man! What a question. I guess it must be Meowth. That was one of the first cards I ever received, and I subsequently fell in love with that Pokemon long before I ever laid eyes on the anime.

Without Meowth, I never would have... Okay, no, I'm not going to lie. I would have sold my soul to Pokemon anyway. BUT MEOWTH HELPED

Honorable mention to Beedrill, Kadabra, Weepinbell, Gengar... Maybe a couple of others.

Hmmmm... Mine was Charmander. I saw it on a card and my friend gave it to me. Since then, I have always loved da Epic Charmander and co. (Charmeleon and Charizard).

Talking games, It was a Treecko. It looked like a lizard! I wuv reptiles so I chose it. It evolved into Grovile. Still Wuved it. The it evolved into Sceptile. I was like 'WTF is this ugly thing?' and never chose Treecko again... Sceptile also started my dislike of grass Pokemon (excluding Turtwig's line, Treecko and Grovile, and Chicorita's line)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Blastoise was the Pokemon that got me into the game, back in Red/Blue. He was the first Pokemon I ever saw in-game (I was watching someone else playing) and I picked Squirtle as my starter when I got Pokemon Red. He then evolved into Blastoise, helped me beat the game, and the rest is history. I picked him as my starter in FireRed also, and I chose Piplup as my starter in Pearl, almost as a nod to Blastoise (even though Empoleon became a HM Slave...:-\)

The first taste of pokémon I got were free Pokémon wall charts that came with a few magazines I had, at this point the cards weren't in shops, the games weren't out in the UK, and Pokémon was just a show on Sky1 in the morning, I remember looking over the sheet and being very confused, but it worked because the next morning I watched the cartoon and the episode was "Bye Bye Butterfree" it seemed interesting but I didn't really have much of a clue what the show was about, all I knew was, Pikachu was damn cool, of course he remained my favourite pokémon only until the Dark City episode when I fell in love with Scyther =)

The reason for my like of Pokemon?

...Well, I can't fall back on Gardevoir, since I was interested in Pokemon from the start.

...Gotta go with Bublasaur. I always loved its cuteness and stuff, and I got Blue and I lurved Pokemon ever since.

And then 3rd gen came around and so did Gardevoir and I was all like "What's a Bulbasaur?"

I started out as a late Pokemon lover. I started liking Pokemon during the III Generation.

I think the one that started my craze was Rayquaza. I was simply amazed when I saw it's face while looking at a friend's poster. I wanted to have one of my own. Then, it started. I borrowed my cousin's ruby for half a year. After I returned it, I got leafgreen. My craze continued, and up to this date, I have my first Rayquaza on my Diamond.

dpmfa384.png

-Shadow Claw
-Toxic
-Ice Beam
-Outrage

Pikachu.

I was watching T.V. one day, and It came on screen, and I was like, "Ohmygosh! That is the cutest thing I've ever seen!" (Keep in mind, I was 7) So, I pretty much started watching pokemon because I though Pikachu looked cute. (And it still does!)

Alakazam for a stupid reason.

When I got this game, I was five and I started looking through a strategy guide I recieved. It ended up on a picture of Zam. And I stated the following.

"Oh my god, that guy fights with spoons. He has got to be the most epic pokemon EVAR!"

Then I found out you had to trade to evolve him and I threw a temper tantrum.

Well, for me it would have to be Zubat. I remember always being so interested in bats and one day along came zubat, and golbat in a toy pokeball and eventually crobat and then i gave up on batman and moved on to pokemon XD