• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Your favourite Pokemon region

Your Favourite Region

• Unova

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Johto

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Kanto

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Unova

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • Johto

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • Kanto

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It's been awhile since someone made this topic, and now that we've had the chance to experience an expanded Unova region it's about time we ask this once more:

Which of the five major Pokemon regions is your favourite?

I'm placing this topic here because not everyone bases their appreciation of the regions on the video games alone. The Anime, comics, PRPing, etc. often play a role in choices too. Vote in the poll but, if you like, tell us in more detail within the thread which is your top favourite region and why. :)

This was my favorite region in the anime, and Pokemon Emerald was the first game I got that had gym leaders and a storyline and all that. So, Hoenn is the most familiar to me, and I like the Gen III Pokemon a lot. I have fond memories of this game, my first Pokemon adventure, capturing Rayquaza, beating this game. The Battle Frontier was interesting as well.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Johto for me without question. I could easily see myself living in a few of the towns around that region and I'm fond of the Pokémon who live there not to mention how much I love the history and stories that come out of the place.

Sinnoh probably comes a close second as I grew quite fond of that place too through the games and anime.

Still gotta be Hoenn, with Johto a close second.

Sorry Unova, you were nice and all - but lacked the real spark that the previous ones had I feel! ^^

This was a really hard choice for me. I ended up voting for Johto, but I had to make sure I wasn't viewing the region with my nostalgia glasses on. I use the games as a model because I don't feel that the anime does a bang up job of looking at what makes each region special imo (Orange Islands being the main exception).

Johto is just a cool region to me. It was truly a joy playing SoulSilver and experiencing the beauty all over again. Ecruteak and Goldenrod reestablished themselves as my two favorite Pokemon cities of all time. Hoenn ranks a very close second and it's my favorite region to write about funnily enough. Honestly I'm fond of each of the latter four regions, but Johto still edges them out after all these years.

Also Katie, we didn't get to hear about your favorite :(

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Just to be original, Hoenn. Aesthetically it is the nicest-looking region in the series for me, and there was a fair bit to do and quite a few places to explore as well.

Just because, Sinnoh is my least favourite because it has a fat pile of shit in the middle of it making it impossible to go anywhere without Fly.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Hoenn for me too. I love the 'Nature' theme behind the whole region. It's the same reason that I prefer Pokemon White to Pokemon Black.

I's say more but that pretty much is the only reason xD I'm not even keen on many of the Pokemon Hoenn gave us. While Manectric became by favourite Pokemon of them all, the Pokemon I dislike the most also come from that region (Pelipper, Volbeat/Illumise, Ludicolo I'm looking at you!).

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Hoenn has been my favorite region since the day I started Sapphire nearly a decade ago. It is the most beautiful, most aesthetically pleasing region on the map, has a lot of awesome and diverse Pokemon of any region, and look at all that beautiful water! ♥

Not to mention in game it has one of the best OSTs. Granted it wins out by a very slim margin considering all the Pokemon games have excellent OSTs.

I can't wait to see Hoenn again in a future title!

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Hoenn, but I'm very biased for Hoenn because it was what brought me back into the games. I guess I kinda reached that age where I was really nostalgic for the old days of Pokemon and stuff, and that happened to be when Hoenn came out in the US. Then again, the games introduced a lot of my favorite Pokemon (more than 50% of my favorites actually came from Hoenn, now that I think about it), along with contesting. And did I mention that I loved the aesthetics of the region in general? XD

Unova is actually a pretty close second, also because I just loved a lot of the Pokemon that were introduced and I liked the plot in the games. Or something like that. I dunno, usually what makes or breaks a region for me is how many of the Pokemon I love/dislike~

Johto will always be my favorite. mount silver was definitely my favorite part, but other than that, I can't place a specific reason, I always just loved it. I suppose I did favor some of the pokemon, namely the starters in that region more than others ^^;

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Carmen Lopez said:

I didn't have anything notable to add beyond my actual vote, that's why. Sorry Carmen! XD

But my vote went to Hoenn for being one of the most diverse regions of 'em of all. I loved how much open space there was to explore in Hoenn (especially that large open sea) and some of its towns/cities, particularly Sootopolis & Fortree, were really quite nifty. It's no lie that I'd love to see that place revisited in the game series with updated graphics. It'd be all shiny and purdy. :)

Linkachu said:
Carmen Lopez said:
It's no lie that I'd love to see that place revisited in the game series with updated graphics. It'd be all shiny and purdy. :)

Exactly. Whoever said that it was pointless to make RSE remakes on the 3DS obviously don't realize how much we love this region.

Joshawott said:
I'm gonna have to say Hoenn just due to the fact that Unova looked like a hexagonal kite

This makes as much logical sense to me as a chocolate oven in Dubai. Care to elaborate? You like Hoenn... because Unova is a kite... If that's all there is to understand then never mind XDDD

Sinnoh ^_^

The whole island-off-a-continent idea, along with volcanoes, big mountains and lakes I could imagine myself chilling around are my main reasons for loving it.

That said, I do like pretty much every reason, except maybe Hoenn because of the silly amount of surfing involved.

I gotta say Kanto.
And not the newer Kanto in HG/SS, either.
The nice Kanto of FR/LG...
Something about it just semms better than any of the others.
Maybe it's the Sevii Islands.
*Shrugs*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
michael95 said:
I do apologize this may be a terrible time to say this...but I didnt care for hoenn that much.....

No reason to apologize! I feel the same way about Johto, so we're even. ;D

My problem with Johto always revolved around how narrow the routes were. There are only a few locations within the region that are truly open, or at least feel open, and while I find HG/SS Johto very pretty graphically the part that I like best about it is the brand new location off Cinnabar Island. ^^;

I never understood the big deal about the way a region was designed. The graphics of the handheld games were never good enough to portray the region as it was intended anyway.

And the anime makes every region look exactly the same, with the same forests and generic cities in every season of the anime.

Only a select few towns stand out like Fortree City and so forth. Maybe if we ever get a big 3D version of each region it's be something that would stand out more.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
precita said:
I never understood the big deal about the way a region was designed. The graphics of the handheld games were never good enough to portray the region as it was intended anyway.

Layouts. Graphics only go so far to bring the regions to life. What really hits home is how the various routes, forests, caves, deserts, bodies of water, etc. fit together to form the region and which path you're made to play along throughout the main story. From a gamer perspective it's easy to understand why certain people would prefer one region over another, but even the various Pokemon mythologies native to each region set them apart. The Anime's just a very poor representation of how they all differ.

Toxic881 said:
I gotta say Kanto.
And not the newer Kanto in HG/SS, either.
The nice Kanto of FR/LG...
Something about it just semms better than any of the others.
Maybe it's the Sevii Islands.
*Shrugs*

The Sevii Islands are my favorite part of Kanto. That's saying a lot in my case because Kanto is my least favorite region of them all. The geography and the wide variety of areas on the islands were huge attractions for me. I also liked how they actually portrayed the differences in culture between the mainland and the islands and the tension that arises (like on Three Island when the goons were harassing residents) I was honestly kinda sad that we didn't get to see them in HGSS. It's good to see that someone else likes them as well ^^

Speaking of culture, I wish we got to see a little more of that in the games. It's not unheard of--like with the aforementioned Sevii Islands and how it's flat out stated that the people of Johto are more relaxed than the people of Kanto.

For the longest time my favorite region was the Sevii Islands (which I consider a separate region), however, as of BW2, I can safely say that Unova is my favorite, strictly because of Humilau and Undella, as well as the tube connecting the two cities. I like tropical places, and while I also like Hoenn, Unova has earned a place in my heart ♥

I agree with a lot of the reasoning of why everyone likes a certain region more than another. But my heart goes to the Hoen region. I feel like it had so much to offer than other regions. (Terrain wise) It opened up the idea of Dive and searching for pokemon under water (which i loved) and finding secret hide outs and making your own. Volcanos and, I don't know about you, but back in my days, we had to wear goggles to get through sandstorms...

Coreysawrus said:
Sinnoh had the problem of a boring 'dex and Mt Coronet. And for me I don't like the majority of the Pokemon introduced in Gen 4

Yes, and there were many music soundtracks that were awful or put you to sleep, like
the Gym Leader/E4 theme and the Valor Lakefront music. All in all, the game was just dull. I can replay through any Pokemon game except for Diamond and Pearl. Al least Platinum was a little better, but Sinnoh just isn't a very good region.

Gotta be Hoenn. I might only be saying that because Sapphire and Emerald WERE my childhood...but I dunno. I'm agree with just about everyone else that voted for it: it was beautiful and it was diverse.

Johto is a really close second, though.

Know what would be cool? If you could vote for the same thing multiple times. Anyone else agree? I want to vote for the johto region again! :)

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
It was a toss up between Kanto and Johto but in the end, Kanto won my vote.
I really enjoyed traveling around those two specific regions the most.
For me, it never gets boring. (:

I love Johto's rustic feel and traditional architecture; and Hoenn's a colorful tropical paradise. Sinnoh's mountain ranges annoyed a lot of people, but never having experienced snow, a countryside in the north would be a very interesting place to visit for me~

However, I think my favorite region now would have to be Unova. The placement of its towns and cities just seem like a nice blend of technological innovation and communing with nature, especially if you're playing in the White Universe.!

(I have no love for Kanto, nope. I appreciate that without it, we wouldn;t even have any of the other games, but that doesn't excuse it from being a bland, suburban purgatory. Especially in Gen 3 when they could've pulled out all the stops to make it a more interesting place.)

Sinnoh is my favorite, partially because it was my starting region many years ago. Even though I got tastes of Johto, Kanto, and Unova from the later games, there is something about the wonder of exploring a completely new world that has set that region in my mind. I love the combination of big cities, amazing mountain ranges (I live in a very flat area of the US), and small towns dotted with forests that just have this wondrous mix of the natural and the urbane.

Johto has a special place in my heart for some of its overtly japanese elements, like the towers, Ecruteak City and the bullet train. Hoenn would probably be a close second since I really loved the underwater routes although its music is harsher/louder to me than the other games. I also liked the snow areas in Sinnoh.

Its so close for me. I started with johto and all my favourites come from that region but Unova has a certain bright charm to it with creative pokemon (except trash bag and ice cream cone)

Trainer%20Card%20Maker%20%20%20Pok%C3%A9charms.htm
Kanto is here i started and where my heart will lie.