• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Weekly anime discussion - you bet your ass there's spoilers

I would hope they wouldn't ditch May's first Pokemon, but no Pokemon is safe except Pikachu. When Gary went off on his adventure, he left all his Pokemon except his starter, Blastoise. But Brock left Geodude and Onix behind. Seeing how Blaziken is May's best (and my favorite) Pokemon, I hope they keep it--at least for more screen time.

I wouldn't be surprised if she already had a Glaceon upon her reappearance. Hopefully they haven't ditched Blaziken in the process, though. I'd love to see more battling from it =)
Same here, although I'd prefer it if she had a Leafeon. I doubt they'll ditch Blaziken, though, seeing as how most characters still have their starters with them when they started years ago. (Gary still has his, of course Ash still has his, Paul still has his [true, it doesn't say how long ago he started, but he says he's gone through other regions]...)
Come to think of it, if Max is with her, I wonder if he's got his Ralts by now...
[quote author=Doctor Oak link=topic=860.msg54431#msg54431 date=1206734050]
She has Munchlax with her. I'll bet anything on it.
[/quote]
I'll bet she has a Snorlax by now...

I sincerely doubt May's munchlax will have evolved to be honest, but i do think its likely that she'll have at least 2 changes to her team.

Its a bit of a shame Housou didn't continue and do may's adventures in johto like it did with misty's when ash was in hoenn, but then again, it was a bit of a flop, especially with that god awful chronicles theme song over here!

Yes and I'd happily removed that memory from my mind... I would like to see May in Johto contests though, heres hoping for some flashbacks on her returnification.

Today's episodes were pretty cool. They finally got rid of Dustox, apparently with a Dustox of one of Jessie's childhood friends.

And, of course, on the Pikachu-focused episode, Pikachu lost, considered evolving, didn't, and beat the Raichu in the second match. Honestly, every single event in that episode was predictable. But it looks like Team Rocket got Ash's Thunder Stone, and yeah, it's that one that Joy gave Ash ages ago. A flashback proves it, and to go even further, at the end were clips from that episode.

Overall though, I'm pleased. The plot on the Dustox episode was pretty cool (young Jessie whoo). Yet, the music was a bit meh. But whatever, not a huge deal.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
But it looks like Team Rocket got Ash's Thunder Stone, and yeah, it's that one that Joy gave Ash ages ago. A flashback proves it, and to go even further, at the end were clips from that episode.

He also pretty clearly says he received it from joy-san of Kuchiba City (Vermilion City).

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Overall though, I'm pleased. The plot on the Dustox episode was pretty cool (young Jessie whoo). Yet, the music was a bit meh. But whatever, not a huge deal.

They used the MSB end song for the final scenes of that episode, and if you look into the lyrics it's actually a super pretty song. I thought it fit the moment perfectly =)

Jessie smashing Dustox's PokeBall so it'd leave... TR does it again. I frelling cried XD

I just saw the Pikachu episode and I have to say...it was wayyyy too predictable. I didn't get to see the Dustox ep, though, so I can't comment on that.
But, YAYS. After two months of being on hold, "Hikozaru's Tears!" is going to air on April 12 as far as I hear, with the dub title "Tears for Fears!". (That may not be correct, though, as I found it on Bulbapedia, which anybody can edit.)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I believe that's the ep title taken from Cartoon Network's site, so it's likely real (I can't be fucked checking to make sure though...).

I'm hoping to be able to keep up with the dub this season, but it depends how easy it is to... 'acquire' it...

Well, I just finished watching "Tears For Fears" and I just have to say that the music used for that part when Chimchar was battling those Zangoose was a bit of a letdown. I realize that it wouldn't have been logical for "Together" to be kept during that part, since the legal rights clearly belong to the Japanese version of the show. Still, it would've made sense if DuArt followed suit by using "We Will Be Heroes" as the BGM for Chimchar's battle against the Zangoose.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It's not a case of legal rights (though I'm sure the vocal tracks do have some twistier copyrights 'cos of the singers), it's more a case of the song being in Japanese. They can keep every single non-vocal track in the show, but there's no chance of them ever keeping the vocal ones.

Also, new intro for those that can't see the show themselves:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7ky0wCGmmn4&fmt=18

Imo, it's great. :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Also, new intro for those that can't see the show themselves:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7ky0wCGmmn4&fmt=18

Something that surprises me is that it's a fairly short intro, but the way they worked the song sounds good. The previous dub season intro, aside from being poor in general, didn't seem to have any flow to it. This one does, at least to me.

It's pretty good over all. The best dub intro in awhile now =)

Something that surprises me is that it's a fairly short intro, but the way they worked the song sounds good.

Wow. A 30 sec intro. I only saw the last half of Tears for Fears. So I don't know everthing. I agree with Linkachu, The song has nice flow to it. Its surprisingly similar to the opening of The Rise of Darkrai. Especially after 16 seconds.

Also I didn't really like the last opening. Didn't flow very well together, and the people were more of Speaking, not singing. >>

I like the opening, its a lot nicer than the last one.

But seriously. Battle Dimension? Whoever thought of that deserves a slap round the face.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Dimension = Space and Time.

I mean, if you compare it to "Johto League Champions" or "Advanced Challenge" or "Advanced Battle" - at least it's actually relevant to the series.

I see what you mean.  In Johto League Champions, Ash didn't become the Champion of the Silver Conference.  Well Advanced battle made a bit of sense because in R/S it was the first region to introduce Double battles. So at the Time it was "Advanced".

Hmm. The previous opening was a second or two less. XD

MAY!!

Well, I just saw today's episode. May has her Emerald clothes, of course. But guess what... She was in Snowpoint! So, we may just be seeing that Glaceon we've been hoping for. I don't see any other point of her being there, so it seems likely. Also, apparently her Squirtle has become Wartortle, and she's using it for the contest. Just a bit of randomness, but if Dawn saw Mesprit, and Ash is to see Azelf, will May see Uxie? She is, after all, close to its lake. Perhaps the episode will show the Ash&Co. side of the story, along with May's? That way, we could SEE Eevee evolve.

I should watch the next episode previews, XD. She does have Glaceon.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Yeah, the preview confirms Glaceon (though not Wartortle), and it appears that Munchlax will evolve during the episode (and Snorlax gets to be freaky and keep Munchlax's colour scheme....).

And best of all, no Max. :D

I'm wondering if maybe May will hang around until Snowpoint to get the ferry back from there - if so, we could have her on the squad for the best part of this year.

As far as we know skitty is still at the petalburg gym.

To a degree I am looking forward to seeing the mutant snorlax, but at the same time, I think munchlax is better for contests.

Well, I must say that DuArt has done a good job with "Once There was a Green Field". I felt like I was watching "Sweet Baby James" for the first time. It was so painful to see Cacnea getting beaten up so harshly, I almost cried.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Man. Was Haruka always that awesome? XD

Watching that latest Japanese episode actually made me somewhat nostalgic. It was just great seeing her back again and doing some hilarious stuff (I missed some of her Pokemon, too, and more Blaziken screen time always = win). Her and Dawn make a fairly good combination, too - as expected.

What's the chance that if Misty met Dawn they'd hate each other? ;)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
As I recall, May left shortly after bursting into tears for PHAILING LIKE A PHAILZ in her last Grand Festival, so no - she really wasn't always that awesome - she just got "I'm not actually on the show any more, so I get to hax" privileges. Y'know, on top of her already haxing.

Her and Dawn together just make me realise how identical the two are. Their VAs even sound the same. o.o

Her and Dawn together just make me realise how identical the two are. Their VAs even sound the same. o.o

Yep. In that one scene where they just got up the stairs, both had their backs turned, and I could hardly tell who was talking! XD

Anyways, pretty cool to see her back, and with Glaceon. Even though it was completely expected, I still wish there wasn't a Max-flashback. Meh, at least we got to see Drew has his highly predictable Roserade (for like, two seconds). And no Munchlax evolution, and oddly, the Snorlax that did show up was normally colored. Lastly, May's outfit for the contest... Wow. XD

I found Dawn and May's Double Battle with May's theme playing in the background to be really nostalgic and really cool, albeit the battle with TR was pretty short. Although I would have liked it if May had a Leafeon, a Glaceon is fine too (and totally expected.) Advanced just recently started airing here in the Philippines and its amusing to see how different May seems now (mature?)

-------------------------------------------

This week's double episodes were pretty cool. I liked the first half better than the second. It's nice to see Wallace being actually eccentric and bishie this time around. May's appeal was very cool with the premiere of her Wartortle, Jessie's seemed a bit desperate (a massive hint that she definitely needs a new Contest Pokemon?) Zoey's was awesome, but the fact it was Finneon disappoints me. (I've never really liked Finneon, I found its design way too simple for its own good) Ash's was pretty cool, I liked how he used the Thunder Symbol and Buizel would punch them out of the way when he's called out. Dawn's appeal was also very cool, albeit it was pretty much redemption form her last Contest. But the thing that I think made it really fun was how everyone's respective theme song (and Battle Frontier for Ash) played in the background during their appeals. It was also nice to see their respective friends and rivals gather to see their appeals. (Although I half expected Drew and Max to be shocked to see Ash in the Wallace Cup, still it was funny seeing Paul all 'wtf is that idiot doing')

The second Episode was a bit meh, seeing as how they could only cram a few battles into it. (It was disappointing to see Venusaur only for a split second, I'm sure many cutesy Vineshippers were also disappointed by that.) It was refreshing though to see Dawn battle much better than she ever did in her previous Contests, and Ash actually reducing his opponent's Contest Points to more than a half.

All in all, I liked this week's episodes. It was fun, and a bit nostalgic as well.

Yep, yesterday's episodes were pretty cool (yesterday meaning if I finish this post before midnight, XD). The music selections were nice, and yeah, the themes for Dawn and May were awesome. (Wouldn't Spurt be a little more Ash-theme? Battle Frontier -obviously- is a bit season-specific. XD) I wonder why May's Venusaur only got a split second. After all, evolutions are usually a pretty big deal (well, let's see... May's had Eevee>Glaceon, Squirtle>Wartortle, and Bulbasaur>Ivysaur>Venusaur all in her absence...) Guess that just goes to show one of Hoenn's themes was evolution. And, even though I understood near nothing (XD he said "Good morning in English), Wallace seems to have a pretty cool attitude, especially judge-wise.

Now, for my prediction. Obviously, by the next episode's title, May and Dawn are facing off... But, they're down to a final four, meaning that after one wins, it should be done. Yet, the next episode seems to be about a final (aw, no Dawn-May tie), so that means whoever wins... probably faces Wallace. Really, who else is there, anyways? XD

I'm quite impressed that May evolved her squirtle and bulbasaur, I do think her team roster will be slightly odd in the near future seeing as currently she has a fire and grass starter at their final stage, I hope that her wartortle doesnt evolve in one of the next few episodes because that'd just be really depressing to see May with a wider selection of evolved starter pok

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Derrr... Something tells me not a lot of people have seen the latest Japanese episodes? >>;

As for the ones who did... Who's happy that Dawn FINALLY won another contest, even if it was against someone MUCH more experienced than her? ... *Waves*. Okay, yeah, by May's experience she technically should've won out over the phailz that is Dawn, but I really don't care about logic in this case. This was character development and logic has no place in it! After all her failures and training/practicing and pep talks and etc., Dawn deserved to win (besides... seeing the old female contest person winning out over the newer one really isn't the style of this series :p)! I cheered for Dawn and I'm proud of it XD

The episode itself I found to be pretty awesome. Glaceon didn't really do anything amazing, but some of Pochama's combinations and move usages were very nifty. Surfing on top of a Whirlpool attack for the win. I was quite amused by how all three of the girls (May, Dawn, and Zoey) were learning off each other as they battled, ie. using the pool's water as a shield or to confuse the opponent. It was all just really fun and I highly enjoyed it. :)

So... err... Anyone else see the new Pokemon Jessie obtained? >>;

Yes. Most annoying thing possible. Why that pokemon off all the possible ones? Another annoying bug...and it looked so innocent without TR...well maybe.

Anywho...why another bug? I would've preferred a Stunky way more than bug-type. Goes to show that once a bug has left, another bug shows up to smite me.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The bug thing was rather obvious IMO, so I wasn't too bothered about it. Beyond that... What's wrong with Yanmega? I find it a rather nifty addition to the TR line-up considering that nobody really guessed it'd be the final choice for next bug member XD

Also, the next episode looks frelling insane. Psychotic Chimchar of doom o.o

Meh, I like Yanmega being added. But there's no way it's the right size, XD. (Probably because it's Team Rocket's in the first place.)

And the coming episode... Wow. That's really freaky, and at one point, it seems Chimchar turns on Ash...

Yeah, Dawn winning was odd. But, if she lost, she might end up killing herself (or squeezing Piplup too hard, XD). Well, even if we won't see it, we all know May'll make it to the Johto Grand Festival. Glaceon could've done much better, especially as an Ice-type on a water field. But whatever, at least Dawn has some more confidence now.

Yanmega is interesting to say the least. Still, better a Yanmega then a Yanma. It's much too cute for Jessie anyway. Now I only wonder what sort of flaw or running joke it has that the writers'd give it to Team Rocket. (hopefully something, it'd give it reason enough not to be written off the show anytime near the future.)