• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Weekly anime discussion - you bet your ass there's spoilers

Thing is, Dawn HAS to lose this battle. If she wins, especially after phailing so hard at all those contests, she'd have to continue on at gym battles. We KNOW that's not going to happen. And thus, she has to lose this battle too.

So basically, she'll lose 3 major battles in a row and PHAIL like a PHAILZ. :d

In that case, I might not even bothering watching that episode at all. There's no point when Dawn's defeat is going to be inevitable. Why not just drop Dawn's character from the main cast and have her be Zoey's traveling partner instead?

OK here's another Pokemon thing that's driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!!! ;)
(I know it's from awhile back in the anime but bear with me)

In the movie "Lucario And The Mystery Of Mew" Ash pronounces Regice "Regi-ice" and in Battle Frontier when he's battling the Battle Pyramid Brain (OK I forgot his name... :-\) he calls it "Reg-ice" Which IS it?!

P.S.

I can't wait till "The Rise of Darkria" apears but I think if Darkria IS a good Pokemon then the series and the game are inconsistant (again ::)). Remember the little boy who was thrashing about in violent nightmares? He said "Da... Dar..." Darkria! And his mom said that happened every few years. How could a GOOD Pokemon do that?!

[attachment deleted by admin]

OK here's another Pokemon thing that's driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!!! ;)
(I know it's from awhile back in the anime but bear with me)

In the movie "Lucario And The Mystery Of Mew" Ash pronounces Regice "Regi-ice" and in Battle Frontier when he's battling the Battle Pyramid Brain (OK I forgot his name... :-\) he calls it "Reg-ice" Which IS it?!

P.S.

I can't wait till "The Rise of Darkria" apears but I think if Darkria IS a good Pokemon then the series and the game are inconsistant (again ::)). Remember the little boy who was thrashing about in violent nightmares? He said "Da... Dar..." Darkria! And his mom said that happened every few years. How could a GOOD Pokemon do that?!

Darkrai isn't necessary a singular Pokemon, but a series of Pokemon. Pokemon are still creatures. They're ranks as legendary means they're rare, but not necessarily only one. It is quite possiblemovie 1's mew isn't the same mew we meet in movie 8. It is also quite possible not every Darkrai has good intentions, though the anime mostly shows that a Pokemon is evil because of its trainer's actions, and that Pokemon thought to be evil were just trying to do what came naturally to them. Darkrai feeds on bad dreams, its possible he may have been inside the boy's bad dream, but not necessarily the one causing it.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Tenth Movie Spoilers:

In the movie, Darkrai's portrayed as a tragic figure that doesn't necessarily WANT to do harm onto people or other Pokemon, but because of it's Bad Dreams ability gets treated with fear, mistrust and anger. Except from one person. Darkrai is a good guy in the 10th movie as far as such things go, and winds up 'sacrificing' itself to save Alamos Town from Dialga/Palkia's rage.

In other words, he's a bit like Deoxys.

The Dub for Diamond and pearl started yesterday in the UK on CN Too.
Ugh, I hate Dawn's voice actress and the opening sequence.. I didn't think it could get worse after battle frontier, but they've done it again it seems.
Oh well, subbed japanese works for me.

The Dub for Diamond and pearl started yesterday in the UK on CN Too.
Ugh, I hate Dawn's voice actress and the opening sequence.. I didn't think it could get worse after battle frontier, but they've done it again it seems.
Oh well, subbed japanese works for me.

I'm not sure if this had been answered already (I hope not at any rate) but where can you see the subbed Japanese episodes? I highly doubt I'll like the voices any better but I want to see Pokemon in its raw, undubbed, and unedited form. Especially the older episodes.

A friend of mine torrents the episodes, generally within a few hours of the episode being shown in japan theres subbed episodes flooding a few torrents. Fan subbers are absolutely brilliant in that regard.

Oh and it looks like Paul's murkrow evolves today. Knew it'd happen sooner or later. So lets look, he has honchkrow, weavile and gliscor now, thats 3 new to DP evolutions, plus theres the fact that he'll have his electabuzz evolve some time before the league starts (i doubt they'd wait till during the league before it evolves, this is paul remember). I really wish they'd have another character get a misdreavus now, it would kinda make sense, to include that in someones team.

Darkrai isn't necessary a singular Pokemon, but a series of Pokemon. Pokemon are still creatures. They're ranks as legendary means they're rare, but not necessarily only one. It is quite possiblemovie 1's mew isn't the same mew we meet in movie 8. It is also quite possible not every Darkrai has good intentions, though the anime mostly shows that a Pokemon is evil because of its trainer's actions, and that Pokemon thought to be evil were just trying to do what came naturally to them. Darkrai feeds on bad dreams, its possible he may have been inside the boy's bad dream, but not necessarily the one causing it.

No clue what ya just said. :) I just think the game and series could be more interflowing. ;D

Oh and it looks like Paul's murkrow evolves today. Knew it'd happen sooner or later. So lets look, he has honchkrow, weavile and gliscor now, thats 3 new to DP evolutions, plus theres the fact that he'll have his electabuzz evolve some time before the league starts (i doubt they'd wait till during the league before it evolves, this is paul remember). I really wish they'd have another character get a misdreavus now, it would kinda make sense, to include that in someones team.

Yeah, I'd figured that Paul would evolve his Murkrow sooner or later. Oh, and you seemed to have forgotten that Zoey has a Misdreavus.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
No clue what ya just said. :) I just think the game and series could be more interflowing. ;D

We all do sometimes, SuperSkitty, but that's nothing new. Its been that way since the Kanto season ;p

I've yet to see this episode, but both Lucario and Honchkrow looked awesome in the preview. And yeah, considering that Paul has a Honchkrow now, it's only a matter of time until Zoey's Misdreavus evolves, too. It seems like the only reason either of 'em obtained those Pokemon was to show off their new evos stages...

(Will rant more after seeing the episode >>)

She does... Oh yeah. Well thats good then, to be honest Zoey has done so little to actually impress me that I tend to forget her character exists. Drew with the awesome roselia she is not.
Of course now its a shame when you think back to snorunt evolving to glalie, how badass would ash with a frosslass be ^_^

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The Staraptor in the preview is Paul's brother's - who appears to have all of Ash's badges (including battle frontier) and all the Sinnoh badges. He seems to be foreshadowing either Staravia learning Brave Bird or Staravia evolving and THEN learning Brave Bird too. Maybe we'll see it in Ash's battle after next week.

Pikachu uses that spinning-dodge trick Ash picked up off Dawn again - but this time it phailz as Staraptor pwnz it to hell.

The episode is actually pretty good Lucario-wise. Ash recognises Aura Sphere and Lucario right off the bat - which is a good start - the movie has TONNES of movie 8 music (in fact, it may actually make up 90% of the entire BGM track for the episode) and there's even an awesome reference to the 8th movie in Jessie offering Lucario chocolate to make it join up with TR.

Paul's backstory seems to be built up a bit here too - but I haven't a clue what happened there, unfortunately.

Dawn doesn't seem to be challenging Sumomo to a fight because she's changed her heart in what she wants to do - but instead because they're both in the same emotional place and they seem to be fighting eachother to give themselves both a boost of inspiration to carry on with their goals. Seeing Sumomo gradually regain her resolve - and seeing Lucario adeptly noticing this - is really nice too.

It's nice that they're keeping Paul's gym matches close to Ash's too. He's always ahead of him, but Paul's always there for them or is leaving his influence in some way that it keeps the character closer as a rival than Gary ever was. Really looking forward to the next few episodes - especially the latest announced one:

DP69: ステキファッション!その名はギンガ団!! Great Fashion! The name is Team Galactic!! (airing date: 6 March)

Brief summary:

Ash's gym battle is over. The night before the guys depart, Reiji says there's something he wanna show them. Following Reiji, the guys arrives at a park with a meteoric stone lit up in the middle. The mixed scenery of light and meteoric stone is beautiful and impressive. Then appear a group of mysterious people who want to rob the stone...

Looks like Galactic are finally going to reveal themselves to Ash and co. "Great Fashion", by the way, is the nickname that Jessie and James have been referring to Galactic by - so this is likely to be a fairly Rocket-centric ep. Hence epic win.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Dawn doesn't seem to be challenging Sumomo to a fight because she's changed her heart in what she wants to do - but instead because they're both in the same emotional place and they seem to be fighting eachother to give themselves both a boost of inspiration to carry on with their goals. Seeing Sumomo gradually regain her resolve - and seeing Lucario adeptly noticing this - is really nice too.

I'm glad that that's all there is to it. It makes the fact that Dawn's going to lose again a little more meaningful xD

Honestly, though, I loved this past episode. Character development on multiple levels, Lucario being awesome as usual, the relationship between Lucario and Maylene, Shinji's brother, the flash back to Shinji's gym battle, the sheer awesomeness that was Brave Bird and Pikachu Volt Tackling it from the air... That episode was just pure win. And now we have two more episodes lined up of non-stop battling... Duuuude :3

And lawlz at Pikachu and Pochama's petty fight with Electabuzz, only to be blown up by Lucario... XD

We all do sometimes, SuperSkitty, but that's nothing new. Its been that way since the Kanto season ;p

I've yet to see this episode, but both Lucario and Honchkrow looked awesome in the preview. And yeah, considering that Paul has a Honchkrow now, it's only a matter of time until Zoey's Misdreavus evolves, too. It seems like the only reason either of 'em obtained those Pokemon was to show off their new evos stages...

(Will rant more after seeing the episode >>)

I TOTALLY agree with you Linkachu!!! ;D I mean the only reason Aipom came back was so it could evolve!!!!!! :-\

Really great episode, the new Japanese one. And yes, non-stop battling ahead, whoo! And apparently much character development. Which is good, development is always nice to see. And I must agree, that chocolate reference was great.

Staraptor pwnz Pikachu? But... Pikachu won... (The little god-modder)

And time for randomness: Woot on full version of TOGETHER playing, even with the words! I loved the Lucario movie sound track, and it seems for the next few episodes, we'll be hearing it a bit.

Really great episode, the new Japanese one. And yes, non-stop battling ahead, whoo! And apparently much character development. Which is good, development is always nice to see. And I must agree, that chocolate reference was great.

Staraptor pwnz Pikachu? But... Pikachu won... (The little god-modder)

And time for randomness: Woot on full version of TOGETHER playing, even with the words! I loved the Lucario movie sound track, and it seems for the next few episodes, we'll be hearing it a bit.

She might have been referring to the Unstoppable Brave Bird attack, which indeed pwn'd Pikachu, who then proceeded to godmod its way to victory by using Iron tail to jump high in the air and Divebomb it with a Volt Tackle. It was awesome! Also now Ash has something new to do with Staravia, though whether it will actually learn this through training or by evolving remains to be seen.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I liked how Pikachu asked Ash whether or not it should do the Iron Tail trick. Shows just how much the two have gone through now that Pikachu knows exactly what Ash would ask in battle.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
That's similar to why I loved how they displayed the relationship between Maylene and Lucario. Usually in the Anime it's the trainer who's aware of their Pokemon's change in personality, not the other way around (especially with the side characters).

Lucario continuously attacked Maylene just to get to a reaction out of her, and was very aware of everything she said, her sadness and insecurities, etc. Then there's the scene where Maylene's watching the battle and getting revved up, and Lucario looks over at her subtly and smiles... It was a really nice thing to see for characters who aren't Ash and Pikachu.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It's totally only 'cos it's Lucario. :p

Like it matters :p

And I saw those episode titles a bit earlier. Ranger episode's are always a nice break from the typical plot - might even cameo one of the Ranger 2 charries - but it's the Riolu bit that's got me deeply looking forward to it :3

... although, looking more forward to seeing's tonight's episode >>; *coughs*

What a surprise... Dawn lost. But she seemed to do fairly well, at least, for Dawn. Also, it seems Staravia might be picking up Brave Bird quickly, it was looking pretty close. This is a nice little area of episodes, the characters (except poor Brock) are all getting nice development. And, the soundtrack so far in these episodes are awesome. Was that Challenger I heard during Staravia's training? I think it was.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Yeah, t'was Challenger. Of note is the fact that from when Lucario enters battle, right until the end of the episode, the soundtrack consists entirely of movie 8 music.

I'm looking forward to more of the same there next week. :D

This was a pretty awesome battle too - what with Lucario smashing Pochama's head in with Force Palm and stuff. Next week with Buizel and Lucario looks like it'll fucking kick complete arse though. Especially with Buizel apparently learning/using rain dance.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Sadly, even though being Hikari's "Pikachu", Pochama can't measure up at all XD I couldn't help but take notice of its small move pool and the ineffectiveness of most of its attacks.

It DID make a few nifty combos, though, and really stood its ground well. This IS only Gym 3, too... I sometimes forget how much we still have ahead of ourselves for this saga because they've already done so much xD

I also demand moar Ambipom battling, plzkthxbai.

Dawn seems to stink at Contests... :( It makes me miss May even more... :(

Does May come back this season?

Not that I know of. However, an interview with Kasumi's(Misty) voice actress hints that Misty may appear in a future episode. If any at all, it would most likely have something to do with the 4th gym, being a water type, ran by the luchadore Crasher Wake (eager to see that.)

Also, can't wait to see Buizel battle Lucario. Chances are the effort dished out just might cause it to evolve, not that I'd particularly like that, but the preview does look sweet. (Aqua Jet+rain dance=Aqua drill!)

Even though I wasn't a fan of May at all I would like to see her come back. She did have a Blaziken (loved it) after all and it should have gotten more screentime. But I liked all of May's Pokemon: Eevee, Munchlax and Skitty were so cute while Bulbasaur and Squirtle brought back memories. Even Beautifly wasn't bad. I'd personally like to see a Dawn versus May battle. I wonder if that could happen in the future.

I always thought that Crasher Wave would look perfect with a Poliwrath like Chuck from Johto had.

And will Misty's appearence probably won't have anything to do with Togetic and Togekiss, will it? I think that was shot down already because I can't see Togetic coming back.

It was a rumour. There's a good chance its false. I predict that if May were to return, it would be around the point that they reach Snowpoint city, if anything, so that her Eevee could evolve into a Glaceon. Of course, that's highly unlikely. May has no particular business in Sinnoh. Unlike Misty in AG, she's on an important journey to win the Grand Festival in Johto. If she does reappear in the show, it might be a reference to Johto, it perhaps she had probably won or finished competing in hte Johto Grand Festival.

And what did DP have? Plenty of Johto references! :D

Anyways, yeah, I have a hard time seeing May come back. But, usually things that are hinted by officials are true, so a return of Misty seems fairly likely. Which is good, I want to see Misty again, showcasing her new Sinnoh Pokemon! (She'll probably have one, anyways. Finneon/Lumineon, anyone?)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm... I could see both May and Misty cameoing at some point, but I hope nobody is expecting them to come back and stay for a next season :p

For Misty, yeah, a Togekiss episode would make sense, but since her Togetic left the way it did I'm not sure how they could twist it... Maybe something Phione-related then? Or some rare Water-type... no clue otherwise XD

For May, if they wanted to do a new spin-off season in Johto ala Battle Frontier (and when the G/S remakes get made, it'll make even more sense to have one), her showing up at the end (or near the end) of the Sinnoh saga could make perfect sense. Not only could she tell Ash about some new event happening in Johto or whatnot, she could tell Dawn about the Johto Pokemon Contest League. But that's assuming Dawn stays on after the Sinnoh Saga... which I have my skepticisms about for certain reasons, but time will tell.

I remember reading, I think it was on wikipedia though, that Misty's japanese actress said she would be returning during the sinnoh saga. I'm hoping its more than 2 episodes though really, if misty stays for 5 or 10 it would be so much better, I'm sure dawn and her piplup can learn a lot from misty.

I'm interested in seeing if Buizel evolves against lucario next week, I slightly hope not as it would be slightly too predictable "oh noes, ash is losing, oh look buizel evolved and saved the day" also seeing as Aipom evolved so soon it would be a bit too much of "they found their right partner and evolved with their help" I mean yeah its a kids show, but thats too perfect sounding for my liking. But maybe im just looking too into this.

Thank moose the gym episodes will be done next week, no more lucario!!!!! =D

I remember reading, I think it was on wikipedia though, that Misty's japanese actress said she would be returning during the sinnoh saga. I'm hoping its more than 2 episodes though really, if misty stays for 5 or 10 it would be so much better, I'm sure dawn and her piplup can learn a lot from misty.

I'm interested in seeing if Buizel evolves against lucario next week, I slightly hope not as it would be slightly too predictable "oh noes, ash is losing, oh look buizel evolved and saved the day" also seeing as Aipom evolved so soon it would be a bit too much of "they found their right partner and evolved with their help" I mean yeah its a kids show, but thats too perfect sounding for my liking. But maybe im just looking too into this.

Thank moose the gym episodes will be done next week, no more lucario!!!!! =D

But then we get a 1 hour special with Riolu xD At least Team Galactic will provide us with some entertainment until then >

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Well, I have no complaints on this past episode. I expected it to be awesome, and it was awesome - right down to the random inclusion of Type: WILD for music. Fast paced battling goodness... All three of Ash's team pulled out some awesome moves (Chimchar lessly so, but it wasn't really the focus), and its good to see Buizel with a new attack. Although, you pretty well know that they only chose Buizel to face off with Lucario specifically to learn/use Water Pulse against Aura Sphere. Still... it was awesome to watch, and combo finishing attack ftw XD

The random Croagunkness cracked me up, too.

But yeah. Can anyone get a translation on the finishing dialog? I'm assuming they said something like "if the challenger ties in a gym battle the challenger wins by default", but it could've just been Maylene's way of saying thanks to Ash for such a great battle. Anyone know for certain?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I think it was a Kanto Syndrome win by the looks of it. I'm pretty certain that if it were a tie in any other gym match, it'd mean yet another battle.

Yeah, I don't think a tie means the challenger wins. They just made it so it wouldn't piss off the fans more by dragging this out too much.

Lol on Type: Wild showing up. And, as usual, it was an overall good soundtrack, of course stuffed with Movie 8 goodness.

But, one thing bothered me about the battles. It was made blatantly clear which Pokemon'd win, 'cause the instant the attacks started, you could see who had an upper hand. Then again, that's also like the games... Whatever.

I wish Buizel had learned Rain Dance like predicted, but Water Pulse is cool too. Not as cool (who wouldn't love being able to make it rain on command?) as Rain Dance, and was a pretty obvious match-up for Lucario, but I'll deal.

EDIT WITH SPOILERS YOU MAY NOT WANT!!!

Just saw that Japanese Ranger site, and apparently the Ranger that'll be showing up is the male Ranger in that Batonnage game. Also, apparently Hunter J will be appearing. I can't wait to see this one!

There was some catchy Movie 9 music in there, too. Though I did love the random Type:Wild inclusion. But I think I very much preferred Movie 8's theme playing in the background as Buizel and Lucario fought. I just love it.

I've been waiting to see this Battle ever since the confirmation of the episode's title. Buizel and Lucario being my fave Pokemon battling? It was definitely going to be awesome, and that it was. Its interesting to note that Ash actually bothered to switch his Pokemon for specific matches, though mostly to remove confusion, but still, its a smart (and basic) move that we've rarely ever seen him do. He also chose his Pokemon much better this time, although that might have had something to do with Staravia learning Brave Bird. Though Chimchar didn't get as much action as it should have (having the advantage over Lucario) it had to be done if I ever wanted to see such an awesome battle.

True, Buizel learning water pulse was for the sake of Pulse-throwing action, but when he combined that last attack with an Aqua Jet, I couldn't help but be excited. It's nice to know he did actually learn something from Dawn.

Admittedly, Ash managed to win by pure luck yet again (the roof blowing up and rain suddenly starting was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too convenient) But what the heck, it had Buizel and Lucario Pulse-throwing each other into submission, and its definitely one of Ash's coolest, and most melodramatic Gym Battles in Sinnoh so far.

On Future Episodes:
Team Lovely Fashion reveals itself next week! But argh, they made Toxicroak uglier (and Shiny?) than it needed to be. Still, a battle between it and Croagunk looks to be sweet (if not humourous and nightmare-inducing. the face! D:)

Also the Male Pokemon Trainer is named Hajime, apparently he'll be going on the Riolu Mission, and no doubt Hunter J's going to go after it as well. Incidentally, what are the odds Hunter J's gonna be in Battonage?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well, that'd be an odd twist of fate - though I doubt it somehow. Afterall, J is clearly a symbol of the Colosseum/XD games, it'd be a bit odd for her to show up in the Ranger games, not taking any other weirdness from that fact into account obviously. I think she's probably just there to give us an actual viable enemy without too many character of the day introductions.

Looking forward to the Ranger episode though - I recently watched the first Hunter J ep dubbed and it's got me itching for her return.

Wow, reading back at all of this, I cant wait to see the new episodes when it hits the 'states. To be honest, I wasnt that into the DP season, but I watched enought to understand what you all where talking about. Hurray!

I do have one question that is nagging me constantly; Does Lucario communicate telepathicly in those peisodes, just like in the movie?