• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Those crazy game sprites

This thread was inspired by coming across this:

Spr_1b_073.png

I got a major kick out of it XD So I want to know if anyone else has a Pokemon game sprite that they found hilarious/amusing/disturbing. And trust me, there are many crazy sprites out there (most of them in Red and Blue). Your sprite doesn't have to be a Pokemon--it can be a trainer sprite as well.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
To be honest, the first time I saw Bellsprout
Spr_1b_069.png
in my Blue Version I thought it was a flying type. I was very confused as to why it was using Vine Whip. :p

Spr_1b_018.png

IT'S A BULLET.
WITH LEGS.

I am so glad you never got to fight those in Red/Blue, I would never have loved them so if I'd ever seen them from any angle but the rear.

(can't sleep golbat will lick me/eat me/my soul)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I have a few:

Spr_1g_006.png
Spr_1g_003.png
Spr_1b_039.png

One of the most poorly drawn 'Zard sprites in history, poor Venusaur looks like he's being squashed by his own flower, and Jiggs looks like she's had her face bashed in with a meat tenderizer.

However, none can compare to this...

Spr_1y_150.png

Thrusting Mewtwo pwns souls.

And so the other generations won't feel left out.

Spr_2s_243.png
Raikou's sprite from Gold and Silver

I present to you the ugliest sprite the games have ever produced. And unlike the bad RBGY sprites where you could give -some- blame to the technology of the day, there is no excuse for this as they fixed it in Crystal. While I do think Raikou looks really cool, this sprite permanently made it my least favorite of the trio. I remember KOing the thing in Silver because it was so ugly, I never wanted to see it again. XD

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Actually, this is the ugliest sprite the games have ever produced:

Spr_4d_467.png

I present to you, Magmor-uh...wait, you mean that thing is MEANT to look that ugly? Sweet cream on an ice-cream sandwich...

In other news...Hypno's back-sprite from R/B/Y:

Spr_b_g1_097.png

Because of how the hand and the pendulum are positioned, looking at this a certain way makes Hypno look like some sort of demented donkey baring its teeth. Makes me wonder whether the spriter for Gen I was in fact Toph from Avatar - looks like she made a guest appearance for G/S Raikou as well.

Well, Gen 1's sprites had yet to be Sugimori'd, as were the Gen 2 Sprites. In fact, it wasn't until Gen 3 'til the game designers decided to wait for Sugimori's illustrations before they could do the spritework.

Spr_1b_025.png

Although Fetus Mew wins hands-down, Pikachu was quite a sight back in the day.

Also

Spr_4p_435.png

Its doubly humorous when the Pokemon uses Flamethrower. Good grief, what on earth was that Skuntank drinking?! 0_0

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I'm sorry to pick on Gen 1 again, but what the hell do you call this:
Spr_1g_107.png
?

"Aw, I'm Hitmonchan! They haven't designed my body yet so I have to hide it with my oversized fists!"

Ok were the sprites different in Japanese versions of red and blue, because there are some of those, the Mew, Charizard and Venusaur in particular, that I don't recognize.

Yes. Many of the sprites posted come from the Japanese Pokemon Red & Green versions--the latter of which was never released outside of Japan. I never played the US version of Red and Blue but I'm pretty sure Venasaur never looked that demented. XD

*Going to bed now, I promise ^^;

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
33tp928.png

This one's pretty weird @__@

What in hells is that? Kabuto?

I was ranting on irc the other night about a trainer that I fought in Platinum - Veteran someone or other. In the overworld sprite (the cute chibi sprite with oversized head that you see as you walk around), he's an old man with a bald head and long white beard. When he battles you, he looks like this:
DP_Expert.png

Um... did his beard suddenly migrate to the top of his head and change colour?

rbback143.png

Okay, I have no idea wether this is a snorlax or a sleepy 1920's cartoon.

greenspr034.png
greenspr031.png

Dolls or Nidos? You decide.

greenspr150.png

This was the only normal sprite in Pkemon Green.

gbc040.gif

Shake that thang! Awkward...

I'm feeling free to take up the Red/Blue Gym leaders instead then:

Brockblue.PNG
Misty_Blue.PNG
LtSurgeBlue.PNG
ErikaRBYsprite.png

Wait a minute.. When did Erica the grass pokemon trainer learn to use Psychic?

KogaBlue.PNG
SabrinaBlue.PNG

Sabrina got a whip? for what? punishing her psychic pokemon if they can't bend the spoons right?

BlaineRBYsprite.png

And when did Blaine ever become a crazy doctor?

GiovanniRBYsprite.png

Giovanni have always been a Mafia Boss. Wait what?

Spr_1b_111.png

What does Ryhorn look like?
Spr_1b_023.png

Oh i remember Ekans, and his terrible Wrap attacks.
Spr_1b_043.png
Spr_1b_044.png
Spr_1b_045.png

Spr_4d_043.png
Spr_4d_044_m.png
Spr_4d_045_m.png

This Evolution tree looks abit more different these days :p

Well, since... always. I mean, except in the anime and that one Sugimori art, he's wearing a lab coat with dark glasses.

SpriteBlaine.png

Yeah your right. But he still looks more of a crazy doctor than a.. Nah forget it. He is and have always been a crazy doc!

What did you think Team Rocket was? Certainly not legitimate businessmen. :p

Yeah when you quoted that, i looked at him in another way, thinking: "Well his company isn't legit, and yeah they do steal your pokemon, so i guess you can call them "The Mafia of the Pokemon"" but still, his not that tough in Fire red and Leaf green though.
SpriteGiovanni.png

First, don't double-post. In the future, use the 'edit' button. This is, incidentally, in our rules, so you have to get warned for it.

Second, I don't think anyone looked as tough in FR/LG. :p

Yeah sorry about the Double post. Posted my post at the same time he did, and i watched his post and hit "quote" without seeing that my post was right under his, and not above as it should have been.

I accept the warning, and will lookout for this in the future.

Second, I don't think anyone looked as tough in FR/LG. :p

Yeah i guess your right about that :p

But one trainer do look better, and that is Brock.
SpriteBrock.png

Spr_1y_095.png

What's with the colour, and why does onix look like it's dancing?

Spr_4p_428.png

When I first saw this I thought it was rude for nintendo, until I knew what their hands looked like.

This is why you gotta love the technology of the future. The horrible graphics of the past are things you want to laugh at now. Though this has given me a chance to save some pics so that i can show my friends in case i loose this thread. is that wrong? I sure hope not, cuz i dont really want to give them up x3

You can always go to Bulbapedia or Psypoke for these sprites (and every other sprite) as well. Then you won't have to worry about losing this thread. ^^

www.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net is the pokemon Wikipedia, use it for your gaming experience.

There you go :)

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon
a more, detailed page.

If you find some cool sprites there, post them here :D

When my sister and I first got Gold/Silver, we always, always, always thought that poor little Hoppip looked like a Christmas Cake:
Spr_2g_187.png

:(